Athletics Weekly

Ban for Using Fertility Drugs without TUE

Drug-related news and topics. Note - this is not a place to make idle speculations.
Forum rules
Note - this is not a place to make idle speculations. Anyone doing so will face a warning and/or a ban.

Ban for Using Fertility Drugs without TUE

Postby Geoff » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:16 pm

Norwalk athlete handed two-year ban at the Scottish Highland Games

NORWALK -- A Norwalk athlete made national headlines Thursday after Britain's anti-doping agency handed him a two-year ban for testing positive at last year's Scottish Highland Games.

Amateur athlete Sam Grammer told The Hour that he regrets his mistake, but said given the chance he wouldn't change his decision.

Those substances, which UK Anti-Doping said he tested positive for, allowed Grammer and his wife to conceive their first child.

"As heartbreaking of a situation as this is," Grammer said, "I would never change the outcome, ever. This child may be the greatest gift I can give to this world." 

Grammer, who was married last June at the Round Hill Highland Games in Norwalk, says the banned substances were fertility drugs prescribed by his doctor.

He and his wife, Kate, are expecting their first child later this spring.

"Nothing was performance-enhancing," he said. "I have never cheated and I never will. It's an upsetting and unfortunate situation for myself and I accept responsibility."

Grammer, 28, said he plans to appeal the agency's decision.

His application for a retrospective therapeutic use exemption was rejected, although the UKAD accepted that Grammer did not intend to enhance his performance and the substances were present in medication prescribed by his doctor.

"It's a huge expense to hire an attorney, and I'm not sure it's worth fighting for," he said. "(The Highland Games) is just a hobby of mine."

A pharmaceutical salesman by profession, Grammer competed in caber tossing and hammer throwing events at the games.

http://www.thehour.com/story/519058/nor ... s/?ref=rss
Geoff

Re: Ban for Using Fertility Drugs without TUE

Postby baklazanek » Wed May 08, 2013 12:58 pm

They should ban him lifetime,its so unfair to legit runners.. :evil:

Re: Ban for Using Fertility Drugs without TUE

Postby boysen » Fri May 10, 2013 10:37 am

How about an "aged" athlete with heart problems who is prescribed a beta-blocker" to KEEP HIM ALIVE...would he be prevented from competing?
boysen

Return to Anti-Doping