Athletics Weekly

Doping news

Drug-related news and topics. Note - this is not a place to make idle speculations.
Forum rules
Note - this is not a place to make idle speculations. Anyone doing so will face a warning and/or a ban.

Re: Doping news

Postby chaz_78 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:34 pm

Spaniard Alemayehu Bezabeh, the 2009 European cross-country champion, has been banned for two years after admitting possessing a bag of his own blood intended for re-injection:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/10062011/ ... years.html
chaz_78

Postby d pickup » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:45 am

'Is Spain’s Bezabeh being treated fairly in wake of doping ban?'

see
www.universalsports.com/news-blogs/blog ... ake+doping
d pickup

Postby d pickup » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:01 am

'CAS ruling gives fresh hope for MHA offenders'

Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS)
methylhexaneamine (MHA)

see
www.thehindu.com/sport/athletics/article2107877.ece
d pickup

Postby readtherules » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:08 pm

The RW case was further complicated by the hearing looking to the 2011banned list and seeing that it was to be reclassified again 'ie down graded.

Also does anyone know exactly what a related compound is ?
readtherules

Postby d pickup » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:39 pm

readtherules wrote:The RW case was further complicated by the hearing looking to the 2011banned list and seeing that it was to be reclassified again 'ie down graded.

readtherules

I'm treading in 'new' territory here: if you look at 'The World Anti-Doping Code THE 2011 PROHIBITED LIST INTERNATIONAL STANDARD' page 4, section S2: at the end of this section it adds 'and other substances with similar chemical structure or similar biological effect(s).' This is 'vague' but at the same time using the list of exactly specified compounds I guess one can, whether easily or with difficulty, apply what the phrase implies, suggests, indicates ...

Does this answer your question or am I barking up the wrong tree ...

see
www.wada-ama.org/Documents/World_Anti-D ... 011_EN.pdf
d pickup

Postby readtherules » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:57 pm

d pickup wrote:
readtherules wrote:The RW case was further complicated by the hearing looking to the 2011banned list and seeing that it was to be reclassified again 'ie down graded.

readtherules

I'm treading in 'new' territory here: if you look at 'The World Anti-Doping Code THE 2011 PROHIBITED LIST INTERNATIONAL STANDARD' page 4, section S2: at the end of this section it adds 'and other substances with similar chemical structure or similar biological effect(s).' This is 'vague' but at the same time using the list of exactly specified compounds I guess one can, whether easily or with difficulty, apply what the phrase implies, suggests, indicates ...

Does this answer your question or am I barking up the wrong tree ...

see
http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/World ... 011_EN.pdf

You are correct.I have had the best set of brains looking at this and they cant come up with a definitive answer.
Lets look at Gestrolone the G in THG.This has many effects and is used for female problems.It is mildly anabolic.
If you follow the WADA code it says that similiar means same outcomes.Now Gestrolone has many effects and thus if there is another product which has the same effects (non anabolic) then that becomes banned.Clearly a stupidity.

There is thus no certainlty in the rules and this breaches a key tenet of law.

Volterol has blood thing properties (and asprin).This is similiar effect as banned products thus they should be banned.I can easily go on.
readtherules

Postby d pickup » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:45 pm

readtherules

Glad I got something right! Sounds as if one needs a good lawyer, and the chemists and rule makers need to keep working.
d pickup

Postby readtherules » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:35 pm

I always think that your contributions and links are great.

My posts seek to use examples to make it clear that whilst doping control seem simple it is not.From a science to administration to law ;all frought and very expensive.

And then we have WADA saying only the dozy get cought.So is all the fuss is worth it ?

Have you noticed that someone suggested that the tester could turn up at a coaches house to investigate if there were doping matters going on/hidden.

Doping control has all the aspects of quasi law but with none of the associated protections.
readtherules

Postby d pickup » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:14 pm

readtherules

Thanks for the complement; you do seem to seek out clarity but in very non-clarity aspects of our sport, so non- or poor-communication are easily possible unfortunately.

My focuses: gathering information about our sport from the odd source, enjoying and playing around with ranking lists and 'stats' (that are very hard work for those collecting, checking and compiling them, but that are just there lying around really rather neglected I feel), constitute a set of simpler remits; poetry is a bit more demanding ... but that is another story.

Re new laws in parliament, judges deciding to give a new slant on a law ... tightening the laws of a sport or of WADA, these matters take a lot of very hard work. I had a hand, way in the past, in modifying the rules of another sport; days and days of concentrated work, every single word and phrase needing an eye, and then doing it again, and again ... Is there somebody really beavering away hard re the WADA words? I don't know. There may be, but the task maybe incredibly tough, with the chemists creating an-ever changing scenario. It's all part of: ‘the interactions of technology and society and nature are now beyond our understanding.’ New Scientist 17 may 11

However I confirm that it is my belief that WADA must continue to probe the drug cancer in our sport, and hopefully their 2012 documents will reflect progress in their fight, not only at the chemical level but at the written word level too.
d pickup

Postby trickstat » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:00 am

readtherules wrote:And then we have WADA saying only the dozy get cought.So is all the fuss is worth it ?

Well presumably the non-dozy don't get caught because they know what to take and when to take it to avoid positive tests. If there was no testing at all everybody would be free to take whatever they like whenever they like. Amongst other things this would greatly increase the chances of such things as fatal blood clots from EPO and throwing events at elite level being populated by large numbers of grotesque, steroidal freaks who will drop dead before 50 of something like liver cancer. And then there's the women's events to consider.

To be honest, my first reaction to the news that Ben Johnson had tested positive in Seoul was "how could he be so stupid as to get caught". I was 20 and knew that the system was a long way from catching everybody especially the East Germans, although this was partly due to out of competition testing barely existing then.

While I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask whether it is worth bothering with drug testing as it seems that you can never be better than a step behind the cheats, I think it is necessary that some sort of system of testing exists. I think there are 2 basic reasons for this:

1) Moral - I don't want a sport which effectively says you can pump your body full of all kinds of substances that may do major long-term damage to improve your performance. A sport that implicitly tells the person who does not want to do that to themselves that they can't be the best there is. I know this may effectively be the case already but there is no official message that says such a situation is tolerated.
2) Public image - If we have a sport in which athletes can take absolutely anything at any time, parents are much less likely to encourage their child who shows an aptitude or enthusiasm for it to take it more seriously and join a club. Also many sponsors will not be keen to associate themselves with the sport either. Both of these would cause great damage to the viability of the sport at all levels.

No policing system ever catches all offenders but that doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. I think a good analogy in the UK is drivers who are talking on hand-held phones - the vast majority of offences go unpunished but that doesn't stop me being glad it is illegal.
trickstat

Postby d pickup » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:39 am

'Top marathon coach probed'

Head coach S Korea marathon team ...

see
www.supersport.com/athletics/article.aspx?Id=421603

###

'London '12 anti-doping chief issues drug warning'

see
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/m ... index.html
d pickup

Postby d pickup » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:43 pm

'Athletics body denies doping allegations'

S KOR marathon runners case

see
www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/20 ... 89115.html
d pickup

Postby readtherules » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:23 pm

d pickup wrote:'Top marathon coach probed'

Head coach S Korea marathon team ...

see
http://www.supersport.com/athletics/art ... ?Id=421603

###

'London '12 anti-doping chief issues drug warning'

see

Interesting that Cowen should talk about correct resources and collegues helping come to the right decision.
Seems that a doping positive may be a bit precarious and subjective.The labs rushed the results in 2008 and two hammer throwers got cleared.
readtherules

Postby d pickup » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:01 pm

readtherules wrote:
d pickup wrote:'London '12 anti-doping chief issues drug warning'

see

Interesting that Cowen should talk about correct resources and collegues helping come to the right decision.
Seems that a doping positive may be a bit precarious and subjective.The labs rushed the results in 2008 and two hammer throwers got cleared.

readtherules

Prof Cowan heads King's College London's Drug Control Center, the only WADA-accredited lab in Britain.
Let's hope he gets the funds needed to do the work well.

I trust Coe won't be spending too much of the limited money available in possibly using 'artist' Tracey 'dirty condon & tampax' Emin for the OLY '12 poster.
d pickup

Postby readtherules » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:48 am

If he does not have the correct level of funding the number of tests should be cut to ensure they are done correctly.
Remember Cowen made a mistake in the Hylton case and it ruined his career.
readtherules

Postby d pickup » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:29 am

'WADA lab errors falsely accused athletes of doping'

Just catching the naughties is hard enough, so hopefully WADA will make the most strenuous efforts to see that their performance in the future is with out fault, even if as well they have the other task of having to keep chasing the ever-developing naught scenario.

see
www.universalsports.com/news-blogs/arti ... 38828.html
d pickup

Postby d pickup » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:22 pm

'Making Sense of Freeman's Suspension'

Jake Freeman, USA M HT

'tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive chemical found in marijuana.'

'list issued by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) ... no one sat down to create a clear policy of what should and shouldn’t be banned'

Yes ... but WADA has a difficult job ... but good, thoughtful and wide-viewing article however.

see
www.mbingisser.com/2011/06/making-sense ... uspension/
d pickup

Postby readtherules » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:09 pm

And now misses the Olympics due to IOA ban.Yes ,silly boy,but the rules are silly as well.

I would like to think lewis- francis has spotted this one.
readtherules

Postby d pickup » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:24 pm

readtherules wrote:And now misses the Olympics due to IOA ban.Yes ,silly boy,but the rules are silly as well.

I would like to think lewis-francis has spotted this one.

readtherules
I had the thought: 'readtherules' will respond here'!

As I've said before, we hope the WADA '12 rules are better.
d pickup

Postby d pickup » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:44 pm

readtherules wrote:but the rules are silly as well.

readtherules

I couldn't resist this one:

In AW's 'USA Champs' topic Kermit » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:25 am

'Gatlin - I have no problem with him going so long as he is tested EVERY time he went to the toilet as well as before and after EVERY race any refusal to comply then kick the cheating SOB off the planet.'

A nice addition to the WADA rules?! - well perhaps modifying the last 8 words. Thanks Kermit.
d pickup

Postby readtherules » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:29 pm

d pickup wrote:
readtherules wrote:but the rules are silly as well.

readtherules

I couldn't resist this one:

In AW's 'USA Champs' topic Kermit » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:25 am

'Gatlin - I have no problem with him going so long as he is tested EVERY time he went to the toilet as well as before and after EVERY race any refusal to comply then kick the cheating SOB off the planet.'

A nice addition to the WADA rules?! - well perhaps modifying the last 8 words. Thanks Kermit.

What is a cheat ?

However I am surprised that if he was a big time cheat that,assuming now clean,he has got so good.Perhaps he may be just caught out by strict liability etc.Given the history of USA and sprinting in general I would doubt it but ...

By the way the way Chambers is and has been running could it be that THG does not work as there is no evidence that THG is anabolic.Dont confuse this point with any assumption from me that DC was not a cheat.
readtherules

Postby trevorp » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Dutch high hurdler Gregory Sedoc is suspended for 1 year for missing tests. He recently ran 13.39, his fastest since his PB 13.37 set in 2007. The suspension runs until 22 June 2012 so he will be eligible for the Olympics.
http://www.nederlandnieuws.nl/128402_gr ... orst_.html
trevorp

Postby readtherules » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:14 pm

Dont think IOC will allow this as over 6 mths ban is said to be serious offence.
readtherules

Postby trevorp » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:22 pm

Good point. That was a silly thing of me to write!
trevorp

Sandra Perkovic

Postby trevorp » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:19 pm

Croatian discus doyenne Sandra Perkovic has tested positive after tests at the DL meets in Shanghai and Rome. Not sure yet what was found.
trevorp

Re: Sandra Perkovic

Postby Geoff » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:45 pm

trevorp wrote:Croatian discus doyenne Sandra Perkovic has tested positive after tests at the DL meets in Shanghai and Rome. Not sure yet what was found.

So that's why she wasn't in New York!
Geoff

Re: Sandra Perkovic

Postby Guto Nyth Bran » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:59 pm

trevorp wrote:Croatian discus doyenne Sandra Perkovic has tested positive after tests at the DL meets in Shanghai and Rome. Not sure yet what was found.

"Zagreb – Croatia's women's discus European champion Sandra Perkovic failed doping tests conducted after last month's Rome and Shanghai Diamond League meetings, her club said on Sunday.

The 21-year-old tested positive for Methylhexanamine, a psychostimulant, vice-president of the Zrinjevac Zagreb club, Boris Stepinac, told local media.

However, he stressed Perkovic “did not know what she was taking.” "
Guto Nyth Bran

Postby LiamRiley » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:21 pm

Wow. I cannot believe that a woman thrower who broached 70m in the discus has been involved in a doping incident. So shocking.

Unexpectedly, Universal Sports has it that the positive is for methylhexanamine, not any anabolic agent.
http://www.universalsports.com/news-blo ... 39150.html

Top athletes seem to be failing tests for this substance again and again. Accidental usage through geramine in their supplements is the usual defence. Still, all the athletes are from places which have historically had doping problems and/or weak national level testing. I hear again and again that this substance is relatively minor. That doesn't seem to match up with the fact that failing athletes come from these places and have all made recent, significant improvements in their performances.

Perhaps Sourabh Vij or Josephine Onyia could enlighten us on why this minor substance coincided with such great progressions. Is it a complement for something else?
LiamRiley

Postby readtherules » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:00 am

Can you provide more evidence of your claim that all who have tested postives for this drug have made significant improvements
readtherules

Postby d pickup » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:25 am

'Setback for Indian hopes in relay as two women test positive'

No names yet. 'One of the athletes is a sub-52-second 400 metres runner while the other is a sub-53-second quarter-miler'

Remember CG '10 Delhi and the Indian joy with the last women's track event, W 4 x 400r:
1 India 3.27.77
Manjeet Kaur/Sini Jose/Ashwini Akkunji/Mandeep Kaur/Jauna Murmu*/Chitra Soman* --- * in heats
2 ENG 3.29.51

see
www.thehindu.com/sport/athletics/article2142804.ece

PS To add to India's woes, as a result of a planned shake up of their Sport 'in the wake of the shambolic buildup to the Commonwealth Games' some proposals impinge on the Olympic charter ie IND could push themselves out of the Olympics ... watch this space.

see
www.dawn.com/2011/06/28/dispute-over-sp ... mpics.html
d pickup

PreviousNext

Return to Anti-Doping