Jake Wightman, Charlie Da’Vall Grice and Chris O’Hare are among men’s race entries, while women’s race features five Commonwealth Games finalists

The cream of Britain’s male middle-distance runners will attempt to break the historic four-minute barrier at the Vitality Westminster Mile to pay their respects to the legendary Sir Roger Bannister – the first man to run under the magical mark.

Bannister – who famously broke the four-minute mile barrier in 1954 – died in March, aged 88, and the latest generation of British middle-distance stars want to commemorate his passing by emulating his landmark achievement at the Vitality Westminster Mile on Sunday May 27.

Commonwealth Games 1500m bronze medallist Jake Wightman and his fellow finalists Charlie Da’Vall Grice and Chris O’Hare are the leading contenders to run sub-four in a star-studded field.

The women’s race promises to be equally as entertaining with five Commonwealth Games finalists in the field including Melissa Courtney, who won a bronze medal in the 1500m on the Gold Coast. Up against her will be fellow 1500m finalists Sarah McDonald and Jess Judd, plus 3000m steeplechase fourth-placer Rosie Clarke.

No athlete has run under four minutes over the iconic Vitality Westminster Mile course since the event was first held in 2013, with two-time winner Nick Goolab – who is also returning in 2018 – going closest when he clocked 4:01 to win in 2016.

Wightman, who is currently training at altitude in Flagstaff, Arizona, said: “After a month at altitude I hope to be in the sort of shape to run under four minutes at the Vitality Westminster Mile and I think, with the passing of Sir Roger Bannister, this year it would be nice for that to happen. It will be added motivation.

“You always want to test yourself against the best and I think the quality of the field as a whole will mean a sub-four clocking is definitely possible so we need to get after it.”

Wightman, Da’Vall Grice and O’Hare have all run well inside four minutes on the road with Wightman’s personal best of 3:52.9, set at the New Balance 5th Avenue Mile last year, the quickest. O’Hare has a road best of 3:53 and Da’Vall Grice a PB of 3:57. But both Da’Vall Grice and O’Hare have pedigree on the Westminster Mile course with Da’Vall Grice winning in 2013 and O’Hare in 2014.

Da’Vall Grice, who was one place behind Wightman in fourth in the Commonwealth Games 1500m final, said: “I’m really excited to race the Westminster Mile this year. I got the win there in 2013 and I remember it was a really big deal for me because it was one of the first senior races I won.

“I am sure this year will be a great race, domestically we are very strong right now, so hopefully we can get a sub-four clocking.”

As well as the trio of the country’s leading milers, the Vitality Westminster Mile field will also include the reigning indoor and outdoor British 800m champion Elliot Giles.

The Vitality Westminster Mile starts on The Mall and does a lap of St James’s Park, turning right down Horse Guard’s Road and then Birdcage Walk before finishing in front of Buckingham Palace.

Wightman, who described his bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games as a ‘huge milestone in my career’, added: “It’s important for me to start the (summer) season well and the Vitality Westminster Mile seems like a great place to do it. It’s always nice opening up in the UK and I’m looking forward to soaking up what looks like a great atmosphere.”

As well as the senior races, there will be British Athletics One Mile Road Race championships in the under-13 to under-20 age groups. There will also be, for the first time this year, a Vitality Masters Mile open to runners aged 35 and over.

Sir Mo Farah will also be at the event to run with families in the Family Waves, with people getting the chance to #RunWithMo

The programme also includes family races, school races and The Olympians Mile which brings together athletes who have compete for Great Britain in any sport in an Olympic Games.

Vitality Westminster Mile elite men’s field

Jake Wightman
Charlie Da’Vall Grice
Chris O’Hare
Tom Marshall
Ieuan Thomas
Steve Mitchell
Nick Goolab
Michael Wilsmore
Rowan Axe
Tom Hook
Shaun Wyllie
Robbie Fitzgibbon
Zak Seddon
Phil Sesemann
John Ashcroft
Sean Molloy
Jack Hallas
Rob Umeokafor
Jonathan Davies
Jake Heyward
Elliot Giles
Will Fuller
Jamie Webb
Dale Clutterbuck
Harvey Dixon
Anthony Wightman
Tom Horton

Vitality Westminster Mile elite women’s field

Jade Williams
Charlotte Taylor Green
Jenna Hill
Sarah McDonald
Rosie Clarke
Amy Griffiths
Harrier Knowles-Jones
Jess Judd
Hannah England
Lily Coward
Sophie Connor
Tamara Armoush
Revee Walcott-Nolan
Hannah Viner
Sarah Astin
Melissa Courtney
Georgie Hartigan
Holly Archer
Claire Tarplee
Beth Kidger

Entry for the event is still open here, and closes on Friday May 18.