Athletics Weekly

CAU 2012

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

CAU 2012

Postby benn » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:35 pm

Just got back from this seasons CAU's.Big mistake moving it to this weekend the event was poorly attended by athletes with many team managers complaing of having weak teams compared to previous years when it was held in may .Also spectators were down as well .Heard on the grape vine that uka has got the fixture booked in for he same weekend for the next 3 years (did they not learn from this year !!!).Rumours are that they also wanted to move the counties to July which was voted against by all the counties (another southern counties situation coming up ?)
benn

Re: CAU 2012

Postby hank » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:15 pm

They also had the regional and national leagues on the same day. Not sure if this has changed.
hank

Postby trickstat » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:07 am

hank wrote:They also had the regional and national leagues on the same day. Not sure if this has changed.

According to this week's AW that will be happening.

As for County Champs I thought I'd heard they are going to the Bank Holiday weekend at the end of May.

The turn-out in general at the CAU was poor. For example, I don't think I spotted a Greater Manchester or Merseyside athlete at the meeting at all. There may have been 1 or 2 in the events that were incorporated within the BMC races on Saturday night that I didn't stay for.
trickstat

Postby benn » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:16 am

too late in the year especially an Olympic one, most of those athletes that was there looked flat.Not surprising with lack of atmosphere long break between their last comp and this ,along with the big gaps in the program because of a lot of heats and qualifying pools becoming straight finals. IIt has to get better next year or I can see this important fixture going the same way as the inter terratorials .
benn

Postby paps83 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:35 pm

hank wrote:They also had the regional and national leagues on the same day. Not sure if this has changed.

Worth noting that the Midlands and North already have them on the same weekend - it's just the South that'll be affected.

I agree that the CAU standards and interest levels seemed lesser this year, but I think there's a wider problem than the time of year - I don't feel it's been as well supported or as high a level as it should have been for a long time now.
paps83

Postby hank » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:36 pm

paps83 wrote:

Worth noting that the Midlands and North already have them on the same weekend - it's just the South that'll be affected.

How does this effect higher claim athletes? Can they compete if their club is competing on the same day?
hank

Postby trickstat » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:52 pm

hank wrote:
paps83 wrote:

How does this effect higher claim athletes? Can they compete if their club is competing on the same day?

I am not aware of a rule that says that they can't do so and I think it may have already happened on previous occasions when they clashed.
trickstat

Postby hank » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:09 pm

Anyone have any info as to why this is happening? 5 club competitions a year does not seem enougth to me.

As I am attached to a club without a national league team I am a little worried our best athletes will leave. Has this happened in the Midlands and North?
hank

Postby benn » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:22 pm

I suspect this is part of the drive to limit the amount of competitions U17s compete in.Uka seem to be having a more pro active drive to the fixtures which could produce a shortened congested season .Either way someone needs to explain the thinking behind these moves.
benn

Postby paps83 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:32 am

hank wrote:Anyone have any info as to why this is happening? 5 club competitions a year does not seem enougth to me.

As I am attached to a club without a national league team I am a little worried our best athletes will leave. Has this happened in the Midlands and North?

The higher claim option is still there if athletes need it.

Personally I feel with 4 league meets, the inter-counties, regional champs, National Champs, England Champs, and some higher level open meets (Birmingham Games, Throws/Jumps fests, BIG etc) there's enough options for decent competition. For the MD runners there's always the BMC options too.
paps83

Postby hank » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:53 pm

I agree that there are loads of competition if you are an U17 or of national standard, but what about the club level athletes that these leagues are for?

Are the SEAAs actually happening next year? Really missed then this year.

I am not sure alot of southern clubs will sign higher claim forms for athletes if they are then not available to compete for them. Some sort of communication from the NGB would be good.
hank

Postby eastv » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:57 pm

Chijindu Ujah
eastv

Return to Current events