Athletics Weekly

ohuruogu

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

ohuruogu

Postby paul » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:10 pm

I just want to make some more noise about Christine. :D

I think a case can be made that she is the most exciting Olympic 400m runner in history.

1) She is in a mega-exclusive list of greats with gold+silver or better.

2) I love Sanya, but I'd _much_ rather have Christine be my representative (not in 4x4 obviously - we won't mention that).

3) When Christine runs, you just believe that _anything_ could happen. She can go to sleep. Or she can win from anywhere.
You feel like she can run down anyone.
I bet Sanya _still_ has nightmares about her. (And she crossed the line first a week ago now!)
paul

Re: ohuruogu

Postby mump boy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:14 pm

I remember Coach Hart saying that they didn't consider TBO competition !! :shock:

More fool them
mump boy

Postby SteveK26 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:07 pm

Christine is a seriously good athlete, and we have been lucky to have her. So pleased she got back to her best this year.
She is an oddity in some ways...I could never envisage her in any other event, by which I mean she would never drop down to a 200 in a champs, nor would she move to 800.
Out and out quarter miler, and a credit to the sport. Hope she sticks around until Rio.
SteveK26

Postby trevorp » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:40 pm

Her record can't be argued with, yet I'm sure I can't be the only one who wishes she would run fast outside major finals. She is an utter enigma to me - whether she wins or loses. If I live to be 37 I'll never be able to work her out.
trevorp

Postby richard1980 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:01 pm

She is brilliant!!!!! :D
richard1980

Postby 3a » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:02 pm

I love Christine too. Her ability to churn it out at the champs is incredible. I'm more than satisfied with her silver but how close was she to doing a Beijing AGAIN!?? :lol:

In Many ways, Christine reminds me of a more talented version of Ireland's Derval O'Rourke

2011 European Athletics Indoor Championships (Paris)
4th place - 60 m Hurdles (7.96 SB)

2010 European Championships (Barcelona)
Silver - 100 m Hurdles (12.65 NR)

2009 World Championships (Berlin)
4th place - 100 m Hurdles (12.67 NR)

2009 European Athletics Indoor Championships (Turin)
Bronze - 60 m Hurdles (7.97 SB)

2006 European Championships (Gothenburg)
Silver - 100 m Hurdles (12.72 NR)

2006 World Indoor Championships (Moscow)
Gold - 60 m Hurdles (7.84 NR)

2005 World University Games (Izmir)
Bronze - 100 m Hurdles (13.02) (SB)

2003 European Athletics U23 Championships (Bydgoszcz)
4th Place - 100 m Hurdles (12.96 NR)

Every Year she has ran either a NR or SB at the major championships. Normally she does a SB in each round if she's actually healthy. Some people can only "Perform" when it counts, their training targeted towards one peak, their body without the use of performance enhancing drugs can't churn out week after week.

These are my favourite athletes, to be championship reliable is EPIC! :lol:
3a

Postby sidelined » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:35 pm

Christine the Great! Did anyone see her interviewed on the BBC sofa? She was asked how she managed to produce these sub-50-second times only in major championship finals and she said that she didn't know - and that she didn't intend to run more slowly on other occasions... A mystery indeed, but a wonderful one.
sidelined

Postby yorkshire_best » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:23 am

Her ability to improve every race is unique, will she run low 49s in her next race I wonder?
yorkshire_best

Postby SteveK26 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:41 am

I doubt it.
Once the spur of the Champs is gone she tends to lose the adrenalin rush; she'll likely be back to mid to high 50's.
SteveK26

Postby paul » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:22 pm

Exactly right Steve.
_If_ she is going to be the one to finally get the NR, we will have to wait at least until the world champs now.
paul

Postby paul » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:31 pm

How many (GB) women have won a medal in athletics at three Olympics?

Is Ohuruogu the only one?

(Yes, I do consider Crystal Cox's use of anabolic steroids in 2004 to be cheating. That medal is TBO's, even if she doesn't actually have it in her sock drawer yet.)
paul

Postby SteveK26 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:13 pm

Will she want to make it a four-timer? (perhaps her body might not allow this to happen).
On the face of it , she wouldn't be too old at 32. Depends on whether the event moves on, I guess. It would appear that 49.6 is about as fast as she will run. And brilliant though that is , it might take sub 49 to medal in 4 years. Who knows.
SteveK26

Postby paul » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:18 pm

SteveK26 wrote:Will she want to make it a four-timer? (perhaps her body might not allow this to happen).
On the face of it , she wouldn't be too old at 32. Depends on whether the event moves on, I guess. It would appear that 49.6 is about as fast as she will run. And brilliant though that is , it might take sub 49 to medal in 4 years. Who knows.

Its a fair point Steve,
but I am pretty sure that that is what people said in the run up to 2012 too.
All the evidence we have is that, while Sanya has far faster times on paper (and even a big win, now),
Ohuruogu's personality dominates the w400m at the very highest level.
So long as she is around, the big finals are likely to be run at around the pace she dictates.

Sanya will _never_ risk aiming at 49.0 in a big final with TBO in it, because she is scared of being reeled in - she knows there is no margin for error.
Indeed, Sanya has run all kinds of funny splits recently, all explained by her needing to feel that she has something left
in the tank to cover the move when TBO finally starts her rush in the home straight of "the big one".

I really see no reason why TBO shouldn't keep going.
She will have learned a lot this year.

It is very interesting this year how, having spent the last couple of years trying out a lighter build,
she came back to the Olympics with a similar massive musculature to 2008.
She really is an outlier in 400m runner shapes. Even compared to powerful women like Montsho.
Montsho is muscular, but TBO is off the scale - more like a panther than a typical woman quarter-miler!

I'm not saying her championship shape is ideal for the distance. Sanya's is more typical, and probably better.
But boy oh boy is TBO fun to watch as she eats up the home straight.
paul

Postby SteveK26 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:12 pm

We have been blessed with some wonderful women 400 runners over the years.
Who is your favourite?
Kathy Cook is mine; I wish she hadn't retired so young. (Christine is right up there, though, and of course she is a pure quarter miler as opposed to ''moving up'').
But then again there was Lillian Board.......emotionally I guess she would be my favourite.
SteveK26

Postby mump boy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:25 pm

paul wrote:
SteveK26 wrote:Will she want to make it a four-timer? (perhaps her body might not allow this to happen).

Its a fair point Steve,
but I am pretty sure that that is what people said in the run up to 2012 too.
All the evidence we have is that, while Sanya has far faster times on paper (and even a big win, now),
Ohuruogu's personality dominates the w400m at the very highest level.
So long as she is around, the big finals are likely to be run at around the pace she dictates.

Sanya will _never_ risk aiming at 49.0 in a big final with TBO in it, because she is scared of being reeled in - she knows there is no margin for error.
Indeed, Sanya has run all kinds of funny splits recently, all explained by her needing to feel that she has something left
in the tank to cover the move when TBO finally starts her rush in the home straight of "the big one".

Burt Sanya doesn't consider TBO a rival does she :lol: :lol:
mump boy

Postby jeremy1 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:17 pm

Thank God the sport of athletics does not depend on athletes like CO whose sole purpose and interest, according to her, is in one competition a year. Otherwise we may all go back to the days of no DL meets, very few international comps, just a WC, OG, Euro Champs and the CG.

If that's your taste, good luck!!

SRR is a better athlete than CO, as she will indicate next year, as she has this year, now that the monkey is off her back about being an Olympic Champion.. CO will have to show us that she can run faster than 49.6 and I do not think she will.
jeremy1

Postby djlovesyou » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:14 pm

You talk like the fact that Sanya Richards is a better athlete than CO is some sort of shame jeremy.
djlovesyou

Postby SteveK26 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:16 am

Jeremy
I think most athletes would take issue with you.
When a career is over an athlete will likely be remembered for the medals won rather than how they did in DL meets.
If Christine chooses to peak for the majors and largely ignore DL whats wrong with that?
You say you like the sports of swimming and gymnastics; all they have are trials and majors. Doesn't it make you appreciate them even more since you dont see them all that often? When we lose the great Rebecca Adlington to retirement, I'll miss seeing her, but I'll most definately remember her golden moments.

Your remarks on CO sounded derogatory, almost as though you felt she wasn't doing enough to keep you entertained. Maybe she is not better than SRR, but she is one of the greatest athletes we've ever produced. Celebrate her. She wont be around for ever.
SteveK26

Postby jeremy1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:39 am

Fancy that, a poster has an opinion that does not coincide with the received opinions of some of the senior Flag wavers, djlovesyou and steveK26.

In my opinion, you both talk a lot of utter nonsense on this thread; if CO was a superior athlete, by her consistent record,then it would be easy to say so; you are such blinkered supporters of CO who is an acknowledged runner in top majors only and can run just under 50 seconds, when it suits her. Her inconsistent record of the last few years including her false start last year in Daegu, is recalled by some, but not others. She is also a poor relay runner but you posters cannot make an objective assesssment of CO, you are far too busy being her flag waving fans.
As for need to entertain me, she does not much anyway.She is a weeny bit predictable :)

The remark about my feeling it to be a "shame" that SRR is a superior athlete by record is the sort of childlike guff that some of the uberpatriotic posters, like DJloves you, must be proud of :( .

Why don't some of the posters here create a special ""all Brit athletes are marvellous" Forum and trumpet their detestation about any objective comments about British athletes.

I realise that some posters who predicted in our prediction contest an impressively incorrect number of medals for British athletes are feeling a little sore and I sympathise
jeremy1

Postby jeremy1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:42 am

If CO is so freaking great as a 400m runner how come the British record is nearly 30 years old , still held by an athlete far greater ,imo, than her.
jeremy1

Postby coaches_tenevents » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:32 am

I have never thought of it in this light before, but it may be a case of horses for courses, C.O may be a cheltenham cup and grand national type runner just putting in a few good performances yearly. There is no doubt in my mind that she has
a great deal of talent and has achieved some pretty classy performances, but, it does frustrate me not being able to watch her do as well in other non nationalistic meetings, is she just a UKA athlete performing for UKA?
coaches_tenevents

Postby sidelined » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:08 pm

coaches_tenevents wrote:I have never thought of it in this light before, but it may be a case of horses for courses, C.O may be a cheltenham cup and grand national type runner just putting in a few good performances yearly. There is no doubt in my mind that she has
a great deal of talent and has achieved some pretty classy performances, but, it does frustrate me not being able to watch her do as well in other non nationalistic meetings, is she just a UKA athlete performing for UKA?

Of course she's not 'performing for UKA'. she's performing for the honour and glory of winning a medal.

I don't think anyone would dispute the suggestion that Sanya Richards-Ross has more natural ability (or 'talent', if you prefer) than Chrissie O. But who do you admire more: the less talented athlete who always runs out of her skin whenever she gets to a major championship final, or the supremely talented one who struggled for years to learn how to run rounds and pace herself when it really counted, and who can only produce her very best in a one-off grand prix of no particular significance? I'm in TBO's corner, of course.

I wonder if SRR will continue to Rio? Will she lose motivation now she's finally got the big prize she wanted?
sidelined

Postby javman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:54 pm

coaches_tenevents wrote:is she just a UKA athlete performing for UKA?

What a pathetically stupid and childish thing to say.

The public only remember Gold medals and supporters only really remember medallists. Whilst it would be great for CO to run sub 50 every race, it simply doesnt happen. The fact is she prepares for and wins medals at the greatest sporting event every 4 years - which isnt that bad - i only wish i was good enough to compete out of my skin every 4 years and win an Olympic medal!
javman

Postby iain » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:42 pm

jeremy1 wrote:blinkered supporters of CO who is an acknowledged runner in top majors only and can run just under 50 seconds, when it suits her.

I believe that's part of what is good about her :roll:
jeremy1 wrote:Why don't some of the posters here create a special ""all Brit athletes are marvellous" Forum and trumpet their detestation about any objective comments about British athletes.

As they were here first why don't you go and create an 'All British Athletes are Bad' forum? If you hate it so much here, why do you stay? And please don't say 'oh chief flag waver blah blah' it's just too repetitive.
iain

Postby MysteryBrick » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:10 pm

Hang on, so someone who has won two gold medals and silver at major champs in the last 5 years is bad? Y'what?

Obviously, I'd prefer it if she ran sub-50 every race, but she doesn't. So given that, if she's only going to do it 3 times ever, surely best to do it when it counts?

Hey, the only athlete in the last 30 years with a better Olympic 400m record is Marie-Jose Perec.
MysteryBrick

Postby Flumpy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:47 pm

iain wrote:
jeremy1 wrote:blinkered supporters of CO who is an acknowledged runner in top majors only and can run just under 50 seconds, when it suits her.

I believe that's part of what is good about her :roll:
jeremy1 wrote:Why don't some of the posters here create a special ""all Brit athletes are marvellous" Forum and trumpet their detestation about any objective comments about British athletes.

As they were here first why don't you go and create an 'All British Athletes are Bad' forum? If you hate it so much here, why do you stay? And please don't say 'oh chief flag waver blah blah' it's just too repetitive.

I'm pretty certain he drinks.

It was pleasant around her for a while post Olympics wasn't it. Now that's all over, OMG reverts back to type.
Last edited by Flumpy on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flumpy

Postby trevorp » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:53 pm

Flumpy wrote:I'm pretty certain he drinks.

You're being kind. I think it's just endogenous bile.
trevorp

Postby trickstat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:41 pm

jeremy1 wrote:She is also a poor relay runner but you posters cannot make an objective assesssment of CO, you are far too busy being her flag waving fans.

Of course nobody's ever said that on this forum before! :roll:
trickstat

Postby Ursus » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:54 pm

I was going to respond to Jeremy's various posts, but you know what, I just can't be bothered. Life is far too short.

No one is claiming CO is the best of all time, although she has a record in majors that only a very elite few can better. I for one love the fact that she's more interested in medals than DL dollar chasing.

javman wrote:coaches_tenevents wrote:
is she just a UKA athlete performing for UKA?

What a pathetically stupid and childish thing to say.

Spot on Javman. Some people just defy belief.
Ursus

Postby SteveK26 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:05 pm

We don't have too many athletes of the calibre of CO.
Why anyone would even want to be overtly critical of her, (and her supporters), I have no idea.
God knows what your opinion of some of our less successful athletes would be , Jeremy. (please don't respond to that, I'm not sure I want to know)
I'm getting a bit p*ssed off being called a 'flag-waver' everytime I post something that disagrees with you. Can you not think of anything more constructive?
I regard myself as a fan of GB sports, even though I now live in NZ, and I try to keep abreast of what goes on across a number of sports. I love sport, and I love to see our athletes doing well.
Third in the medal table at the Olympics, and successful across a wide variety of different sports....that must have been a bit of a bummer for you, Jeremy?
SteveK26

Next

Return to Current events