Athletics Weekly

Cost of Plastic Brits

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Cost of Plastic Brits

Postby ultragirl » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:38 am

NO MEDALS FROM THE PLASTIC BRITS = waste of money and lost places for our athletes and another failiure of CVCs.
ultragirl

Re: Cost of Plastic Brits

Postby merito » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:45 am

Splendid, with so much to say that could be positive you managed to recycle a Daily Mail non issue.
merito

Postby iain » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:54 am

iain

Postby SteveK26 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 am

Ultragirl
Not a peep from you during the entire Olympic span.
Not an opinion. not a contribution.

Then this? Are you for real ?
SteveK26

Postby merito » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:58 am

Well said Steve!
merito

Postby yorkshire_best » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:13 am

ultragirl wrote:NO MEDALS FROM THE PLASTIC BRITS = waste of money and lost places for our athletes and another failiure of CVCs.

It cannot be argued that this tactic was an unsuccessful one, and it showed me that CVC was clutching at straws to get his reduced target of 8 medals. It also showed how he and UKA have undermined British athletics by implementing their autocratic unaccountable iron fist system at the expense of a healthy vibrant grass roots which could have by now be producing a wealth of talent and loads of healthy clubs.

Cherry picking talent from schools at the expense of the grass roots to feed select coaches ego's and keep jobs is another direction of doom. I say this because 99.9% of athletes never make it, and history keeps showing us that real talent prevails despite the system, and because of good coaches.
yorkshire_best

Postby fangio » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:17 am

How was CVC clutching at straws, ahteltes came to hiim showing the correect docuemtnation as eligible for the UK team, he did not go out and find them, they were eligibel and made themselves available for selection. We all know you had to scrap most of your AD forum, but coming back on here with your nonsense.

Yes they need good coaches, try Dan Pfaff, LJ, PV and JT national records this year, after 2 of the 3 completely changed their techniques from their old coaches. There is no single system used by UKA, and atheltes can be coached by their original coaches, or they can join other coaches, sometimes it worls sometimes it doesn't. Thank god we don't have a one size fits all approach.

The idea that somehow this is a failure of CVC, because athletes who were eligible made themselves available for selelction and he picked the best of them is ridiculous.
fangio

Postby merito » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:22 am

The recruitment of sports people, to both parties mutual benefit, is a worldwide business. It thrives in almost all sports and on all continents. To ignore it and embrace the Corinthian spirit is not going to help any country.
Things change: cars, music, technology etc etc. I hate to say it but I believe in the future and have romantic memories of the past.

But each to his own!
merito

Postby trevorp » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:14 pm

ultragirl wrote:NO MEDALS FROM THE PLASTIC BRITS = waste of money and lost places for our athletes and another failiure of CVCs.

Yes, my heart goes out to all those sub-13 hurdlers and 14m+ triple jumpers whose dreams were dashed by the inclusion of Porter and Aldama.
trevorp

Postby larkim » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:24 pm

yorkshire_best wrote:It cannot be argued that this tactic was an unsuccessful one..

So it can be argued that it was a successful one then? :mrgreen:
larkim

Postby MysteryBrick » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:16 pm

Will all this Daily Mail nonsense please stop!

Of the people I have no doubt you're referring to:
Yamille Aldama was our only qualified triple jumper.
Tiffany Porter was one of two girls qualified for the 100mh, the other of whom was Jess Ennis who was entered.
Shara Proctor did not deny Abigail Irozuru a place in the Long Jump, that was the management's decision to ignore someone with an A standard.
Shana Cox maybe denied Nicola Sanders a place in the 4x400m, but she had a faster season's best by 0.8s and ran faster than Nicola has all season in the 400m heats.

Anyone else I've forgotten?
MysteryBrick

Postby 3a » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:33 pm

How is Shara Proctor a "Plastic Brit" :lol: ? You colonise a country that then loses it's Olympic status and thus has to represent the empire. It's not like she had a choice in the matter.

I really wonder would their results have been different without the pathetic Dailymail shite in the run up.
Shara, Tiff and Yamille were all potential medalists. I was sad none of them did.
3a

Postby Tuckin » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:35 pm

How DARE they pick people who weren't born here and in many cases don't live here either. Thank goodness we've got Mo to balance things out.

Wait, hang on...
Tuckin

Postby bevone » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:50 pm

My surprise about the so called plastic Brits - most of them living overseas with foreign coaches (if they have a Brit passport then they have very right to compete, but hardly should be used a UKA success stories) - is that they ended up being as brittle as many of our own homegrown athletes whose confidence levels were fragile as some of ours and under performed.

Procter and Aldama should have medalled as should had porter after her indoor season and early season form and had Cox been in better form - could have got a relay medal so those 4 medals would make much better reading.
bevone

Postby jeremy1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:00 pm

I think that Aldama is in no way the same situatuion as someone like Porter. Aldama's life has been here for many years so we are told, and she has triumphed over adversity ; Proctor 's situation is different again and I imagine she will be competing for her country,Anguilla, next year in Moscow.

As for Porter, who revels in telling us all how much she wishes she was in the States where she lives and trains; sheer opportunism, not like a Lagat for example who lived in the States, became a citizen and had his family there.
jeremy1

Postby mump boy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:03 pm

bevone wrote:My surprise about the so called plastic Brits - most of them living overseas with foreign coaches (if they have a Brit passport then they have very right to compete, but hardly should be used a UKA success stories) - is that they ended up being as brittle as many of our own homegrown athletes whose confidence levels were fragile as some of ours and under performed.

Procter and Aldama should have medalled as should had porter after her indoor season and early season form and had Cox been in better form - could have got a relay medal so those 4 medals would make much better reading.

for the 2nd time you have confused the word 'should' with 'could' !!
mump boy

Postby Tuckin » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:15 pm

Not to mention the word "medalled" with the two words "won medals"!

Or perhaps it's just me who hates that new verb, as many posters on here seem to have embraced it...
Tuckin

Postby sidelined » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Tuckin wrote:Not to mention the word "medalled" with the two words "won medals"!

Or perhaps it's just me who hates that new verb, as many posters on here seem to have embraced it...

I'm with you on this one, Tuckin. 'Podium' as a verb is even worse.

Porter has been struggling with a back injury which is presumably why she hasn't been able to recapture her excellent early season form.

I'm beginning to think that Jon should create a special section on the board for xenophobic reactionaries where they can blame CVC for climate change, the Eurozone crisis and that virus that is wiping out honey bees.
sidelined

Postby trickstat » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:20 pm

jeremy1 wrote:Proctor 's situation is different again and I imagine she will be competing for her country,Anguilla, next year in Moscow.

I wouldn't be so sure. She'll only be 27 when Rio comes round and unless Anguilla becomes a sovereign nation or the IOC suddenly makes an about turn and starts accepting new members that are dependencies, the UK is her only option unless she gains another passport in the meantime.
trickstat

Postby fangio » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:36 pm

Trickstat, Anguilla is registered with the IAAF she can comepte for them at the WC, but not at the Olympics. She doesn't need another passport for this, her British one for Anguilla will do.
fangio

Postby jjimbojames » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:41 pm

fangio wrote:Trickstat, Anguilla is registered with the IAAF she can comepte for them at the WC, but not at the Olympics. She doesn't need another passport for this, her British one for Anguilla will do.

Could be wrong, but doesn't the fact she competed for GBR at last year's World Champs affect her ability to compete for Anguilla from now on?
jjimbojames

Postby fangio » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Possibly right jimbo, was looking at Trickstat seemingly refering to the Olympics rather than the WC, not sure how quickly she can change back to Anguilla.
fangio

Postby benn » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:19 pm

what nobody seemed to have mentioned was the four athletes who competed under the I.O.C banner as independant athletes
benn

Postby olympic » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:42 pm

Sonia O'Sullivan Ireland Vs Australia. plenty of plastic brits in Cricket. Hey - u are what u want to be - who cares. Zola Budd. All these people add to the rich diversity in the Uk. Dutch Anitillies Vs Netherlands - who complained. Many french competitors from old french colonies. Kenyans becomming USA, Sprinters from portugal being african. They are all at it. Africans reprensenting Scandinavian countries. If u meet the rule u meet rules - who cares - inspire a generation.
olympic

Postby iain » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:26 pm

Dutch Antilles was a special case, Benn I don't follow. What I don't get is why Shara Proctor seems to have made a permanent move to compete for GB whereas Delano Williams seems to be able to flick between GB and TCI as he pleases.
iain

Postby Guto Nyth Bran » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 pm

Bottom line - if you have a British passport and have obtained it legally then you can compete for GB.
Anything else would be Apartheid under a different name.
Guto Nyth Bran

Postby jjimbojames » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:38 pm

iain wrote:Dutch Antilles was a special case, Benn I don't follow. What I don't get is why Shara Proctor seems to have made a permanent move to compete for GB whereas Delano Williams seems to be able to flick between GB and TCI as he pleases.

He hasn't competed for GBR yet though - just has both passports. I'm not 100% sure but I think he just wanted to compete for GBR in the OG, as Shara could have done, but she chose to compete for GBR full time (I'm guessing funding may well be linked to this).

I think there's a special clause for the OGs - i.e. they can compete for GBR in the OG and then go back to representing their colony, but if they represent GBR in the WC and the OG, they'd go though the same issues of competing for another country as say Ethiopia and Sweden
jjimbojames

Postby iain » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:12 pm

Too confusing :-S Why did the IOC make that rule anyway?
iain

Postby jjimbojames » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:01 am

iain wrote:Too confusing :-S Why did the IOC make that rule anyway?

To limit the number of 'new' nations joining, I would guess?
jjimbojames

Postby iain » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:32 am

^But what is the problem with that?
iain

Next

Return to Current events