Athletics Weekly

Rio 2016

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Rio 2016

Postby baldangel » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:08 am

I know this is ridiculously early, but just testing the water regarding how to get there with tickets in hand!

From the first ballot to the end I was unlucky with London 2012 tickets, but at least I have a session at the Paras to look forward to.

So from the experienced in Olympic travel, what's the usual approach. I've done World Cups, etc. in football and there are dedicated travel firms that charge a massive premium, whilst many England supporters prefer to do their own thing but what happens in athletics. For instance is there an actual supporters club that can be joined that possibly gives a priority booking?

I'm 65 at the date of the next games, so with a pension very much on the horizon, this might be my one and only chance to go to an Olympics, so I want to get my planning (and saving) underway!

Thanks very much for any help.
baldangel

Re: Rio 2016

Postby Flumpy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Things seem to change from one Olympics to the next but I'm pretty certain that tickets are readily available to people from outside of the host country. It was the idea that as many British people as possible should get the chance to attend the Olympics that meant we had the whole lottery system. Visitors from overseas were not expected to travel across the world just to see one morning session of the wShot and Steeplechase heats.

Exact details haven't been confirmed yet but you should be able to buy as many as you like. The easiest way will inevitably be to do it through Track and Field Tours or another such company. They will charge a bit more but take all of the hassle out of the experience. Otherwise once tickets have been released there will be a relatively simple procedure to get them (Or at least ity can't be as complicated at London's).
Last edited by Flumpy on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flumpy

Re: Rio 2016

Postby sidelined » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Here's a link to the British Athletics Supporters' Club site:

http://www.basclub.org.uk/

I suppose it will be a good couple of years before Rio announce their ticketing plans. I wonder what the demand will be like?
sidelined

Return to Current events