Athletics Weekly

Moynihan to step down

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Moynihan to step down

Postby Geoff » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:42 pm

Moynihan to step down as BOA chairman

August 13 - British Olympic Association (BOA) chairman Colin Moynihan has today announced he will be stepping down from the position in November after seven years in the role.

The surprise announcement means that the 56-year-old will vacate the role a year before the end of his second four-year term expires in November 2013.

The former Conservative Sports Minister succeeded Sir Craig Reedie as BOA chairman in 2005 shortly after London won the bid to host the 2012 Olympics and Paralympics as he beat the 1968 Olympic 400-metre hurdles champion David Hemery by a vote of 28 to 15.

He was re-elected unopposed in 2009 but has confirmed he will leave the role just a day after the conclusion of the London 2012 Olympics where he helped steer Team GB to a record medal haul of 65 medals, 29 of them gold.

"Today the press will be looking forward to what lies beyond the Games: to the United Kingdom's sporting future and the delivery of a real London 2012 sports legacy," said Moynihan in a letter to the National Olympic Committee.

"In this context of looking forward, I will let them know that I intend to hand on the baton smoothly and securely to a successor chair.

"I have given this a great deal of thought and I strongly believe that this is the right time.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/latest/18 ... a-chairman

He may have some good principles but he handled some issues badly and seemed to fall out with everyone!

Perhaps his departure signals a crucial stage in the power struggles between UK Sport, Sport England, Government, Youth trust etc.? And where does Seb Coe, in his new capacity as Legacy Adviser, fit in? The future direction of our sport is to a large extent governed by these key players. The BOA, however, is no longer a major player and its influence is severely curtailed.
Geoff

Re: Moynihan to step down

Postby yorkshire_best » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:14 pm

The future of OUR sport lays in the hands of the grassroots volunteers if only they realised just how large and powerful they really are.
yorkshire_best

Postby Geoff » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Lord Coe will stand to be British Olympic Association chairman

Sebastian Coe has confirmed he will stand to be the next chairman of the British Olympic Association (BOA).

Lord Coe, the London 2012 chairman, said he had been approached to stand as the successor to Colin Moynihan.

A BOA committee is drawing up a list of candidates to replace Lord Moynihan, who announced last month he would be stepping down after seven years.

Lord Coe, who was recently made the UK's Olympics legacy ambassador, said: "I am happy for my name go to forward."

The 55-year-old, a 1500 metres Olympic gold medallist in 1980 and 1984, led London's successful bid for the 2012 Olympics and was subsequently made chairman of Games organiser Locog.

As legacy ambassador, he has been asked to advise Prime Minister David Cameron on how to best secure long-term benefits for the UK following the London Games.

Mr Cameron said Lord Coe had "done a brilliant job delivering the best Games ever", adding: "Now I want him to help me deliver the best Olympic legacy ever."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19551011

I assume this fits in with his longer term ambition of leading the IOC but I think he does have a genuine desire to try and improve sport in this country. It will be interesting to hear his vision for the BOA and how they fit in to the wider legacy strategy.
Geoff

Postby Kermit » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:49 am

I hope nobody challenges him for the position. If anyone can change the mind of the FA to have a team in Rio for both men and women then as a member of the FA he would be the best person to do it!
Kermit

Postby Geoff » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:39 pm

Kermit wrote:I hope nobody challenges him for the position. If anyone can change the mind of the FA to have a team in Rio for both men and women then as a member of the FA he would be the best person to do it!

As one who went to both men's and women's Olympic football I do hope at least the women get a chance. I think I heard David Davies, former FA Chief Exec, in his newspaper review on Sky the other night say that football saw itself as above other sports and the Olympics had taken away some of it's gloss (or something like that). The reaction to England's draw last night where they were vilified by much of the press as prima donas and lacking Olympic spirit has continued to bring them down a peg or two.

Perhaps with Coe they may actually decide the Olympics may be good for the sport as a whole and should be part of their development programme. In fact for the women it is the pinnacle of their sport but old fashioned, out dated and sexist attitudes still prevail. It would be grotesque to not have a women's team at least in Rio.

The whole Olympic experience for football may be beneficial in the long term to that sport but may also redress the whole balance in this country. Football will still be our number one sport but pegged back a little allowing others to gain ground.
Geoff

Postby iain » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:02 pm

Geoff wrote:As one who went to both men's and women's Olympic football I do hope at least the women get a chance

Agreed
iain

Postby Kermit » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:59 pm

The women "totally get" the Olympic ideal, perhaps it was the phone call they got from Kelly Holmes.

"You are not footballers anymore, you are Olympians"

You cannot buy a quote like that.
Kermit

Postby Geoff » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:35 am

Restructuring leaves Sir Clive Woodward's future at BOA in doubt
September 19 - A planned restructuring at the British Olympic Association (BOA) following London 2012 could put the future of several leading figures, including Sir Clive Woodward, in doubt.

Andy Hunt, the BOA's chief executive, presented his proposal, which involves cutting the number of top staff, to the Board today at their first meeting since the conclusion of the Olympics, where Britain won 65 medals, including 29 gold, to finish third overall.

Also in doubt could be the future of Hugh Chambers, the BOA's commercial director, who has been criticised for the failure to get the dozens of London 2012 sponsors to commit to backing Team GB beyond this year.

There are currently eight directors at the BOA and under the restructuring programme it is expected a number of the posts will be merged.

The BOA are believed to be facing a financial deficit of around £2 million ($3 million/€2.5 million) after they increased their number of staff and programmes in the build-up to the first Olympics in Britain for 64 years.

Sir Clive, who coached England to victory at the 2003 Rugby World Cup, is the director of sport for the BOA and was Deputy Chef de Mission during London 2012.

But at an annual salary of £300,000 ($487,000/€373,000) many have long believed he is a luxury that the BOA cannot afford.

Hunt's decision to push ahead with the restructuring plan comes despite the fact that Sebastian Coe is set to succeed Colin Moynihan as chairman of the BOA on November 7 when he steps down after six years in charge.

Hunt is due to travel to Brazil with Sir Clive tomorrow when the BOA begin the search for a pre-Games training camp for Team GB in the build-up to Rio 2016.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/ ... a-in-doubt
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:59 am

Exclusive: Sir Clive Woodward to leave BOA

October 4 - Sir Clive Woodward is poised to leave his post as director of sport at the British Olympic Association (BOA) after six years with the body.

insidethegames understands that an official announcement of the move, which is entirely amicable, is imminent.

It is thought that the former World Cup-winning rugby coach will maintain ties to the BOA in an ambassadorial role.

He is also expected to retain his seat on the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) Entourage Commission, which is chaired by former pole-vaulter and current IOC Executive Board member Sergey Bubka.

As Deputy Chef de Mission during London 2012, Woodward will be credited with having an important hand in the Great Britain team's stellar performance in winning 65 medals and finishing third in the medals table in their home Olympic Games.

However, questions over his role at the BOA re-emerged last month, when chief executive Andy Hunt unveiled a planned restructuring that involves cutting the number of top staff.

While Woodward's decision to move on is not thought to have been influenced by the BOA's financial position, money at the body is tight and a round of post-London 2012 downsizing had been widely anticipated.

The organisation will, moreover, soon be under new leadership, with London 2012 head Sebastian Coe set to succeed Colin Moynihan as chairman on November 7, when Moynihan steps down after six years in charge.

Much interest will now inevitably focus on Woodward's next move.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/latest/10 ... -leave-boa
Geoff

Postby sidelined » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Some good news at last!

Here's the paragraph from the Inside the Games article that Geoff didn't quote:

As Deputy Chef de Mission during London 2012, Woodward will be credited with having an important hand in the Great Britain team's stellar performance in winning 65 medals and finishing third in the medals table in their home Olympic Games.

Not in my book. I don't think Woodward can be credited with anything, except wasting enormous sums of the BOA's money that could have been better spent supporting athletes directly. I'm so glad he's going.
sidelined

Postby Kermit » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:35 pm

sidelined wrote:Some good news at last!

Here's the paragraph from the Inside the Games article that Geoff didn't quote:

Not in my book. I don't think Woodward can be credited with anything, except wasting enormous sums of the BOA's money that could have been better spent supporting athletes directly. I'm so glad he's going.

I'm with you on that Sidelined
Kermit

Postby coaches_tenevents » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Me also.
coaches_tenevents

Postby Geoff » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:49 pm

Lord Coe becomes chairman of British Olympic Association

......"I believe the BOA is uniquely positioned to work collaboratively with partners across government and sport to ensure there is a meaningful legacy resulting from the London 2012 Games - a legacy that positively impacts every level of sport and continues to inspire young people around the UK to choose sport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19970857

That quote is in stark contrast to Moynihan who fought everyone and virtually bankrupted the BOA. Coe's main task is to find a role for the BOA in the "alphabet soup" of sporting organisations in this country.
Geoff

Postby EMStalkersUrniMe » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:21 pm

I used to enter shot putt at tourneys in the hope no-one else turned up like previous year. Never quite got a medal as others thought the same way. I think my best was 9th but my main event was where it was at so it was just a sideshow. I couldn't quite manage the extra 10 stone I needed to ensure my district shot put title despite an international coach and 17 psychologist fighting over my technique.

Paralympics to me is about bettering oneself, competitive opportunity, gaining confidence and self esteem. I fell the pressure was medals, medals, medals. Nothing like the "It's the taking part that counts" don johnston speech if I remember.

Jo Pavey never won a medal at the olympics but IMO was a stand out performer that got ignored in quest to justify BOA's medal ignorance.

Medals are a bonus
EMStalkersUrniMe

Postby coaches_tenevents » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:18 pm

To us they are, but to them they are justification of existance, hence the deriliction of responsibility to grass roots athletics EMStalkersUrniMe .
coaches_tenevents

Postby Kermit » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:18 pm

Geoff wrote:Lord Coe becomes chairman of British Olympic Association

......"I believe the BOA is uniquely positioned to work collaboratively with partners across government and sport to ensure there is a meaningful legacy resulting from the London 2012 Games - a legacy that positively impacts every level of sport and continues to inspire young people around the UK to choose sport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19970857

That quote is in stark contrast to Moynihan who fought everyone and virtually bankrupted the BOA. Coe's main task is to find a role for the BOA in the "alphabet soup" of sporting organisations in this country.

His first task MUST be to sort out the financial mess that he has been left!

BOA bosses ignored budget warning http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/20172061
Kermit

Postby Geoff » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:32 pm

The fallout from Moynihan's awful reign as BOA chairman continues with news today, widely expected, that chief executive Andy Hunt has resigned:

British Olympic Association chief executive resigns

February 13 - Andy Hunt today resigned as the chief executive of the British Olympic Association (BOA), just six months after leading Team GB to third place overall in the medals at London 2012 - their best performance for more than a century.

He informed today's Board meeting of the BOA that he was standing down having held the post since 2008.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/1012881-b ... ve-resigns

It was suggested last year a possible replacement might be Niels de Vos!
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:42 pm

Just read another report and it seems there will be no immediate replacement with senor officers reporting directly to the board. Assume they can't afford to employ anyone!
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:23 am

Sir Clive Woodward's role as elite performance director scrapped as Lord Coe tightens BOA budget
Lord Coe has drawn a line under Sir Clive Woodward’s controversial tenure as the British Olympic Association’s director of elite performance by insisting that the BOA will no longer involve itself with coaching athletes or mentoring coaches.

Woodward was hired by Coe’s predecessor as BOA chairman, Lord Moynihan, to support the country’s Olympic sports in their high-performance programmes, a role that went well beyond the BOA’s traditional remit of delivering kit and logistical support for Team GB.
But the appointment caused tension between the BOA and UK Sport, the government agency that oversees and funds the country’s World Class Performance Programme, with Moynihan being accused of a land-grab by encroaching on UK Sport’s work. Some sports raised concerns that Woodward was stepping on the toes of their own performance directors.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... udget.html
Geoff

Return to Current events