Athletics Weekly

Will CVC really go now?...

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Re: Will CVC really go now?...

Postby bevone » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:42 pm

I had a meeting with Welsh athletics after they advertised the post 3 0r 4 times but never got back to me and the CEo basically told me that I would not get a job for WA but would not tell me why. CVC told me he would not employ me to coach Brett Morse (Brett was there) but gave no reason. Pickering and others have told athletes they would not get funding if they were coached by me and athletes who last year got given awards had to give them back. How do I know because they athletes told me and CVC told me.

'I left Wales, was not allowed to apply for the throws coaching job and instead they employed a guy who had made himself unpopular within the group for one reason or another. While in Wales, athletes I coached broke all age group discus records and some UK ones and most of the shot ones in 3 years. This coach I assume is in charge now of the athletes. He has never coached anyone over 50m in the discus event - the U15 lad threw over 50m as did the U17, U20 U23 an senior threw over 60m so what is this guy going to offer them. Same in the shot where his best athlete he has ever coached threw 16m with a 5kg and Wales have 16-18m throwers in various age groups. SO how is this an improvement as Geoff alluded to? This coach is a development coach at best - but has worked closely with Pickering -- so may I allege that he was parachuted into this role.'

This is all on the P10 so is a fact. I notice most of the people he was coaching do not appear on his p10 so they must have parted company.
PS I am not Frank form AD either.

PPS this is nothing to do with the thread - maybe if you wnat to carry on do it on another thread or privately Why would I make this stuff up when time and time again it has been proven e.g look at the telegraph circa dec 6th 2011 about how uka adn cvc treated me

PPPS - The powers that be do read this and scan these and dissenting posts are recorded and files are kept. How do I know because at least two people on this thread who work or worked for the NGB and also people in the very highest posts told me, but there are some things I will keep to myself!
bevone

Postby Geoff » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:15 pm

Moving slightly away from individual grievances, but it must be said there are others who have had their run-ins with CVC, here is a good BBC article:

Olympics: What next for British athletics?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19234466

Denise Lewis seems to think he will go. Assuming Dan Pfaff leaves and perhaps others I think he might find it difficult to continue. Last time he parachuted in five North American coaches and deliberately ignored British coaches. Some were very good but others were no better than other candidates and it was viewed by some not to be a fair recruitment exercise. Excessive salaries in a mainly voluntary sport and ignore our best coaches is not a great way to start a new job.

People may disagree with me, although I understand why he did it, but by not evolving a more joined up coaching structure and sticking to a very narrow remit he has alienated quite a few coaches. This must be addressed in the future.

What we have is a bit of a mess that has arisedn because the original centralised system could not hope to work in such a diverse sport. This perhaps needs to be addressed even before a head coach is appointed.
Geoff

Postby hank » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:22 pm

In such a diverse sport, would appointing a head coach for each event group be a better idea than one supermo overseaing all events?

Sprints and Hurdles - Arnold

Endurance - Cram

Jumps - ?

Throws - ?

Different stratergy for each event group submitted to UK Sport.
hank

Postby Kermit » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Sidelined, I accept that Stewart was involved with Fast Track, but his appointment to chief meet director can have an adverse effect on our sport.

Damocles please fall on your blunted sword, I have known Bevone for over 30 years and he IS NOT Frank. I can also vouch that if your face don't fit in with the company then the company will do all it can to prevent you from working - no matter how good you are.

The problem is that when the people leave the company the edict still remains and when the new people come to take their place your face still doesn't fit.
Kermit

Postby bevone » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:19 pm

Thanks for that Kermit - I think that hanks suggestion is not a bad one and I agree with Geoff, who by the way should have been involed in uka or at least WA as he has a good understanding of the sport. Have maybe 4-6 event heads - maybe then adopt a 6-10 centred system where there are choices and centres are reflective of the size of the community they serve e.g. london manchester are the main centres where most of the athletes are and each site could be associated with a uni who may supply paid coaches and even the local council may finance a coach. We hear about working in the community and with partners so why not do it properly.
bevone

Postby amirw » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:42 am

bevone wrote:Thank you for eventually clarifying that this was a joint UKA ENG venture when VH and the others you speak of came over. I went to every session that VH came over, were they also EAA Develpment days as well.

I did not accuse you of poaching but you have done well to have picked up people like Amir who is a 69m thrower. I said the NGB UKA have used this joint venture as an opportunity to enforce coaching regime change and there are plenty of examples of athletes changing coaches for one reason or another and that Brett Morse is a good example of this and been admitted in the telegraph circa dec 6th 20011

Do readers know that some of these invited speakers have ended up recruiting UK athletes to their squads or are now 'mentoring' some of them. How is this benefiting UK coaching? BM moving to VH has done nothing for me - or seemingly him.
amirw

Postby amirw » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:58 am

Hi Bevone, I am assuming by your username I know who you are.

Just to clarify for your information MF has not “picked me up” as an athlete. I had left my coach as I wanted a change of direction, a break to reassess what I wanted to achieve from the sport and as a result I took some time to reflect.

I then continued throwing on my own and then I approached MF to see if he would help me with my throwing and he was very generous in providing me with his time and knowledge. We are now going to start our 1st winter training together this year.

I would ask you to be mature and adult enough to refrain from using my name and my decisions to fuel your own views and thoughts.

Many thanks,

Amir Williamson
amirw

Postby bevone » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi Amir,

I do not want to wash dirty linen in public but I will PM you but nobody has accused anyone of poaching. And maturity has nothing to do with this!

Regards

Bevone - AKA nigel Bevan - throws coach - if anyone did not know!

This is off topic hence PM and I do not want to get involved in slagging matches on line -esp as I have not abused MF or accused anyone of poaching,
bevone

Postby amirw » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:47 pm

HI Nigel,

Thanks for your PM as per my previous post I would ask you to refrain from using my name to fuel your own views and thoughts.

Many thanks,

Amir Williamson
amirw

Postby Damocles » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:10 am

bevone wrote:I had a meeting with Welsh athletics after they advertised the post 3 0r 4 times but never got back to me and the CEo basically told me that I would not get a job for WA but would not tell me why. CVC told me he would not employ me to coach Brett Morse (Brett was there) but gave no reason. Pickering and others have told athletes they would not get funding if they were coached by me and athletes who last year got given awards had to give them back. How do I know because they athletes told me and CVC told me.

'I left Wales, was not allowed to apply for the throws coaching job and instead they employed a guy who had made himself unpopular within the group for one reason or another. While in Wales, athletes I coached broke all age group discus records and some UK ones and most of the shot ones in 3 years. This coach I assume is in charge now of the athletes. He has never coached anyone over 50m in the discus event - the U15 lad threw over 50m as did the U17, U20 U23 an senior threw over 60m so what is this guy going to offer them. Same in the shot where his best athlete he has ever coached threw 16m with a 5kg and Wales have 16-18m throwers in various age groups. SO how is this an improvement as Geoff alluded to? This coach is a development coach at best - but has worked closely with Pickering -- so may I allege that he was parachuted into this role.'

This is all on the P10 so is a fact. I notice most of the people he was coaching do not appear on his p10 so they must have parted company.
PS I am not Frank form AD either.

PPS this is nothing to do with the thread - maybe if you wnat to carry on do it on another thread or privately Why would I make this stuff up when time and time again it has been proven e.g look at the telegraph circa dec 6th 2011 about how uka adn cvc treated me

PPPS - The powers that be do read this and scan these and dissenting posts are recorded and files are kept. How do I know because at least two people on this thread who work or worked for the NGB and also people in the very highest posts told me, but there are some things I will keep to myself!

Bevone (Frank)
You still didn't apply for the job that has now been filled. Nothing stopped you applying, so you cannot complain you didnt get it. It's that simple, so stop crying that you are the target of some plot. Paranoid I think its called. Or do you still think Dan Pfaff was the Head Coach of Wales!!!!!!!

Answer the questions with evidence that can be verified, and stop saying this has gone off topic. Because YOU took it there.
Damocles

Postby Damocles » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:12 am

bevone wrote:Bevone - AKA nigel Bevan - throws coach - if anyone did not know!

How can anyone know, as you seen unable to prove anything else
Damocles

Postby Damocles » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:18 am

hank wrote:In such a diverse sport, would appointing a head coach for each event group be a better idea than one supermo overseaing all events?

Sprints and Hurdles - Arnold

Endurance - Cram

Jumps - ?

Throws - ?

Different stratergy for each event group submitted to UK Sport.

I've checked this as deeply as I can, it seems that Cram has no coaching qualifications?

My vote for the Throws goes to Nigel Bevan. All those in favour!
Damocles

Postby Kermit » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:00 am

I think it's time this thread was put to bed.

It is very clear that Troll (Damocles) has a vendetta that he wants to air and this is not the place to do it.

Furthermore The tread was suppose to be about CVC and has expanded way beyond that.
Kermit

Postby SteveK26 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:09 am

I agree with you , Kermit.
Enough is enough.
SteveK26

Postby jeremy1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:36 am

I suppose we can all live in hope that the over rated Van Commenee goes elsewhere; we might even save a bit of cash which looks likely anyway.
jeremy1

Postby Geoff » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:25 pm

An article from the Guardian written just before the Games. It's quite a good summary of CVC's time as head coach, possibly one or two inaccuracies, but gives enough to form an impression on the man and whether he has been successful. Personally, I don't like bullying and public dressing downs as there are better ways to motivate athletes as well creating a more harmonious and friendly structure. He said he would go if we didn't win 8 medals and we didn't plus we had a lot of failures despite the heavy handedness. Other issues behind the scenes may play a part in his decision.

Inside Team GB's Olympic medal factories – No5 athleticsCharles van Commenee will need Team GB's athletes to perform on the track at London 2012 or he will pay with the loss of his job.

.......In September 2008 Van Commenee was duly appointed to oversee UK Athletics' 2012 Olympic campaign, with the highest salary ever paid to a GB coach at £250,000 per year. Sotherton's prediction that he would tyrannise the sport held true as, under the banner of "accountability" and "efficiency", Van Commenee quickly stripped away coaching staff and talent managers – in 2009 he sacked the highly esteemed and popular sprint coach Mike McFarlane – clearly unperturbed by the enemies he made along the way. Even his own appointments were not spared the axe. His first hire was the national throws coach, Britain's double Commonwealth champion Bob Weir, who was sacked just nine months into the role.

Radically restructuring the coaching system Van Commenee recruited his own personnel, many of whom hailed from overseas, including the man known as the "super coach", Dan Pfaff, an American with more than 40 years' experience in the sport, along with Canadians Derek Evely and Kevin Tyler. The philosophy was simple: improve coach quality and education and an improvement in the quality of the athletes' performances will follow. With an added emphasis on avoiding injury, Van Commenee banged the drum for accountability – a new clause added in athletes' funding contracts meant that underperformers would face the consequences.

The Lee Valley Athletics Centre, one of two high-performance centres in the UK, became the powerhouse for these improvements with Van Commenee cajoling and forcing athletes to buy into the new arrangement. The high jumper Martyn Bernard, until then based in Liverpool, was given a simple ultimatum. "Charles told me to move to London or I was off funding," says Bernard, who went on to win a bronze medal at the European Championships in 2010. "Did I mind? No, not at all. He's a direct guy and I like that."

Direct is an understatement for the man nicknamed "Volcano" by Sotherton for his explosive anger. Although Van Commenee says he regrets his most infamous outburst – branding Sotherton a "wimp" after she won bronze rather than silver at the Athens Olympics in 2004 – his yelling ways have not receded since he came to Britain. At the European Championships in Barcelona in 2010 he gave the women's 4x100m relay squad a very public dressing down in the hotel lobby, labelling them a collective "disgrace" in earshot of the national press after they failed to make the final.

If he was prepared to upset athletes in a public hotel lobby, he was prepared to go further still and upset them in the national media. He had been keen to change the public perception of athletes as overpaid underachievers and ordered a moratorium on anyone using injury problems as an excuse for underperforming fearing that the British public would see them, as he put it in his own inimitable way, as "pussies and wankers". But at times his authoritarian stance has backfired.

Last year Van Commenee found himself trading insults with one of Britain's strongest 2012 medal hopes in the triple jumper Phillips Idowu. Van Commenee called the then defending world champion – and all athletes who use Twitter, which equates to most of Team GB – "clowns and attention seekers". Idowu has refused to speak to the head coach ever since. It was also under Van Commenee's watch that Jessica Ennis was allegedly labelled "fat" by a "high-ranking senior official", although the Dutchman denies any knowledge of the incident that caused nationwide outcry.

For some the threats and no-nonsense stance have worked. Robbie Grabarz, the current world No2 high jumper who was a virtual unknown last year, may say that losing his funding in 2011 was not the motivating factor for his meteoric rise in 2012 but his own version of events – commit or quit – mirrors that stark rhetoric that characterises the head coach's reign.

Certainly one of Van Commenee's most divisive policies has been to recruit foreign athletes – crudely labelled "plastic Brits" in the tabloid press – specifically to compete in 2012. Six foreign athletes have been nationalised since Beijing: Cuban-born triple jumper Yamilé Aldama; long jumpers Julian Reid of Jamaica and Shara Proctor from Anguilla; sprinter Delano Williams from the Turks and Caicos islands; and hurdler Tiffany Porter and 400m runner Shana Cox, who are both from the US. Despite the negative publicity, Van Commenee's judgment appears to have been rather shrewd, with Aldama, Porter and Proctor all tipped to win individual medals in London this summer, while Cox will provide a boost in the women's 4x400m chances.

How successful an impact Van Commenee's policies have had on the sport is not an easy theme to assess. On the one hand Britain are in a strong position, expected to meet their target of eight medals including one gold which would equate to Great Britain's best performance at any non-boycotted Games in a century. But how many of those medals will be directly down to Van Commenee's regime?

With the two not even on speaking terms, the Dutchman could not claim an Idowu medal as his own, while other British stars maintain a certain autonomy from the UKA set-up. Mo Farah, a potential gold medallist in both the 5,000m and 10,000m, is based in Portland, Oregon, while the heptathlete Ennis does not attend UKA training camps and has her own team around her in Sheffield.

The jury is still out on Van Commenee and Pfaff's "super group" project at Lee Valley. The long jumper Greg Rutherford is No1 in the world right now, albeit with a modest distance of 8.35m, but the real test is whether he can remain in one piece this summer having injured himself in qualifying at the world championships last year. There have been vast improvements in the field events – the rise of the novice discus thrower Lawrence Okoye to fourth in the world this year, or the pole vault newcomer Holly Bleasdale – which hint at a brighter future while, should they win medals. Proctor and Aldama are instant fixes rather than home-nurtured talent, although the latter has lived and trained in the UK for 11 years.

Van Commenee has maintained a tough stance on standards, routinely demanding a higher qualifying mark for major championships than the world governing body and this has left unfilled places on the team, a significant decision because medals at previous Olympics have come from outside those predicted. In 2008 neither Germaine Mason, who won silver in the high jump or Tasha Danvers, who took bronze in the 400m hurdles, were tipped for a podium finish. The Olympic double gold medallist Dame Kelly Holmes, among others, has strongly criticised Van Commenee for leaving empty spaces in the British team at a home Games.

The tough-love approach has not always worked. Shouting at the women's 4x100m team in 2010 had little effect given that two years later they again failed to perform in the same competition, thereby failing to make the top 15 in the world and not qualifying for the London Games.

Van Commenee routinely resists "expectations" and "predictions", a dark stare greeting any journalist green enough to ask, but he believes the team can meet their target potentially rising to a total of 15 Olympic medals, should the likes of Okoye, Rutherford and the two 4x400m relay teams shine through. Should he fail, then the master of accountability has already stated that he will quit his job.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju ... al-factory
Geoff

Postby boysen » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:17 pm

The words "hang" and "petard" come to mind., plus" live by the sword etc"
boysen

Postby jeremy1 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:37 pm

If CVC disappears into new pastures I for one know that the world of British track and field will continue to be no more or less successful than it is right now; 6 or 7th best track and fiield team in the world; 5 to 7 medals at the next two WCs; 70 to 80 points on the points table and the world will continue to turn.
jeremy1

Postby SteveK26 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:31 am

Jeremy
CVC has decided to go, citing his 'failure' to hit his own target.
He leaves behind a team GB vibrant with talented youngsters who will surely up the ante in future Championships. I thus disagree with your future prognosis.
However, whether this new breed has emerged because of (or despite) his tenure , I will leave others to debate.
SteveK26

Postby mump boy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:01 am

I think overall he's done a great job but i'm not sorry to see the back of him. Lack or people skills has meant that a good number of the team and coaches barely speak to him and for someone who's whole job is about communication that's a problem.

The main problem is, who on earth is going to replace him.

I don't really see the role as a coaching one but one of personal and administration

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/cha ... athletics/
mump boy

Postby boysen » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:18 am

Would it be correct to say the previous encumbent was not a "coach" but presumed to have other skills? Perhaps more allied to "management" which of itself includes communication?
boysen

Postby Geoff » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:43 am

I'm not sure anyone can claim CvC has done a great job as he has overseen a mish-mash of a structure, created unnecessary conflict and in many events we have made no progress or even gone backwards. As Mumps says his communication skills are abysmal and I will never fathom out why some people believe an abrasive and bullying approach is good for our sport where UKA rely so much on the good will and sacrifices of athletes and coaches even at elite level.

I know we won 4 gold medals and that was a fantastic achievement but our sprinters and relay vastly underperformed. We went from having 4 'A' standard female 800m runners to selecting one 'B' standard athlete. Even events like mens triple jump once Phillips is injured we had no one else. It can be argued that those who won medals did so despite CvC rather than because he made a difference.

We must also question whether his six figure salary was value for money especially in a sport where nearly everyone receives peanuts or goes into debt. His relationship with some athletes is also a cause for concern and surely must be a factor in whether to retain him or not. I actually think Niels de Vos shows poor judgement in offering him a new contract and perhaps shows he is out of touch with what is really happening at performance level.

As for his replacement. If an internal candidate then perhaps Dan Pfaff who I think has the respect of coaches but it seems he may be returning to the States. Or has he been persuaded to take the top job but with a different brief and overseeing a new structure?

I firmly believe the structure and systems we have now is not right for athletics in this country. An overhaul is desperately needed and we must try to achieve as harmonious and inclusive a structure as possible. Heavy handedness and bullying will not work.
Geoff

Postby MikeWinch » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:17 pm

He failed by his own reckoning. That's life. No tears here. Perhaps his imports should also bite the bullet.

jeremy1 is right, despite a vast amount of money being spent, the team has achieved what it always achieves, some brilliant results, some good, mostly average or below.

I think we now need to reconnect coaching and development, reinstate national squads and start connecting up the alienated bits of the sport and people who are sat, with a wry smile, on the outside.
MikeWinch

Postby jeremy1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:10 pm

The 4 Gold rmedals were nowt to do with CVC really. Mo 's success was due to his ambition and determination to go with Salazar to get the extra mile from his ability and Jessica Ennis and Minichello worked at her weaknesses with admirable consistency. CVC will be seen as over rated in a few years time, imo..

The schemes, ideas, proposals, etc suggested on this Forum or in AW mag will be very unlikely to alter much our fundamental placing in the worlds Track and Field league in terms of medals,placings etc at WCs and OGs
jeremy1

Postby Geoff » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:27 pm

The feeling is that de Vos will mainly reshuffle the existing pack and we'll see little change. Any bets on Kevin Tyler getting the head coach position? He might not but it does look like existing staff will be moved around.

The big question then is how much centralisation and athlete transfer takes place. Will there be more of a support and coordination role from UKA? Will coaches and athletes be able to work regionally with access to facilities and support?

If elite athletes are moving to the States, Australia, Sweden etc what is the justification for centralised facilities? Can additional regional support be provided?

Will it change?
Geoff

Postby sidelined » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:19 pm

How can UKA have picked a successor to CVC without advertising the post? Does that mean in internal reshuffle must be the only option?

What about Peter Eriksson? (?sp) Athletics emerged as Britain's most successful Paralympic sport with 11 golds and 29 medals in total, against a target of 5 golds and 25-28 medals. That is success in anyone's book. (Not that I'd measure everything by medals, but that is the way the Power that Be think.) It's interesting that David Weir didn't want to go to the holding camp in Portugal, so he and his coach were left to get on with it in London, using unorthodox methods, with no interference or badmouthing in the press. A little bit of a contrast there.
sidelined

Postby Geoff » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:09 pm

sidelined wrote:How can UKA have picked a successor to CVC without advertising the post? Does that mean in internal reshuffle must be the only option?

What about Peter Eriksson? (?sp) Athletics emerged as Britain's most successful Paralympic sport with 11 golds and 29 medals in total, against a target of 5 golds and 25-28 medals. That is success in anyone's book. (Not that I'd measure everything by medals, but that is the way the Power that Be think.) It's interesting that David Weir didn't want to go to the holding camp in Portugal, so he and his coach were left to get on with it in London, using unorthodox methods, with no interference or badmouthing in the press. A little bit of a contrast there.

Peter Erickson certainly has allowed athletes to train outside of the centralised system including one I help who won a bronze. This is why UKA should concentrate on support and coordination and make better and more efficient use of regional facilities and services.

Incidentally, paralympic athletes and coaches received an in-training bonus this year and there is a performance bonus for medallists and their coaches! A sort of reward system favoured by some for the sport as a whole.

It was rumoured a few weeks ago that he would be returning to Canada later this year.
Geoff

Postby TheRealSub10 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:32 pm

Geoff wrote:Peter Erickson certainly has allowed athletes to train outside of the centralised system including one I help who won a bronze. This is why UKA should concentrate on support and coordination and make better and more efficient use of regional facilities and services.

Incidentally, paralympic athletes and coaches received an in-training bonus this year and there is a performance bonus for medallists and their coaches! A sort of reward system favoured by some for the sport as a whole.

It was rumoured a few weeks ago that he would be returning to Canada later this year.
I'm pretty sure there have always been bonuses for coaches of medalists on the Olympic side too - there certainly were a few years ago!

As for the Para side they have exactly the same as the Olympic side in terms of support etc - that was Erickson's tag line "the same, the same, the same". The only difference is that UKA do not employ ANY coaches on the Paralympic side on a full time basis. Instead all coaches get upto £4k a year per athlete on funding. And just like the Olympic side there are a lot of stories of poaching etc...
TheRealSub10

Postby Kermit » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:15 pm

I truly believe that UKA had a plan B before CVC went on holiday and felt confident that the person(s) would accept. However I think it is a shame that the post wasn't advertised as we have just witnessed with the influential Bank of England position.
Kermit

Postby Kermit » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:42 pm

Here's a scary thought. Clive Woodward as CVC's replacement :roll:
Kermit

PreviousNext

Return to Current events