Athletics Weekly

World Records

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

World Records

Postby djhdjh » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Although the Olympic Games are all about the medals, it does seem like an unusually large number of World Records, and indeed milestone records, could be up for grabs as well, depending upon the weather of course!

Most obviously we have: Decathlon, Men's 4x100, Men's 800 and Men's 110h. The records tend to be a bit tougher on the Women's side but I would suggest that in the heat of tight competition both the Javelin and Hammer could go (over 80 in the latter case). That of course is leaving out the Men's 100 and 200 - I don't think either Bolt or Blake is in shape for a World Record but I guess it can't be discounted. As a real outside shot, Felix in the Women's 200?

I reckon the Decathlon will definitely go and Ashton will be the first over 9100 - he should have been at Eugene but for weather. I also expect the Men's 4x100 to go with both Jamaica and the USA under 37 seconds if they get even solid changes - though Bolt and Blake especially will be tired the threat of the US will push them on and they are clearly the fastest team in history on foot speed. I also think Rudisha will take the Men's 800 into 1.40 territory for the first time - the safest way for him to win is to take it to a speed no one else can get close to, he's clearly in shape for it and it might be in his mind that it would make the performance extra special.

I think the other three I listed in the first six will go very close but ultimately fall short and a little less close in the last three. Men's 110h, Women's Javelin and Women's Hammer could be some hidden gems of the event though.

What does anyone else think?
djhdjh

Re: World Records

Postby iain » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:12 pm

Men's 4x100m, 110m Hurdles - Yes
Women's Hammer, Javelin; Men's Decathlon - Maybe
Men's 800m - No chance
iain

Postby trickstat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:07 pm

iain wrote:Men's 800m - No chance

I am inclined to agree. I am fairly sure that Galkina's 'chase record in Beijing is the only WR set in a middle or long distance running event at an Olympics or World Champs since Moscow in 1980. This was in an event taking place at the Olympics for the first time, where they wouldn't have been many examples beforehand of top quality fields being put together at invitation meetings and where quality pace-makers are very rare. I just can't see Rudisha setting the kind of fast, fairly even pace required for a record when he has so much to lose. I think the best chance of it happening would be if someone else naively sets just the right pace in a naive attempt to run the legs off him.

I would love to be wrong though. 800m WRs are pretty rare beasts in general and for one to happen at the London Olympics would be very special.
trickstat

Postby eastv » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:50 pm

After this Olympics I don't think there will be any more 100 or 200 records. In-fact they might be no world record in this one considering Usain Bolt's 2010 injury which slowed him down.
Last edited by eastv on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eastv

Postby Buss Buss » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:57 pm

I can see something special happening in the 200m , with Bolt and Blake pushing each other on it wouldn't suprise to see them both go under the WR.
Buss Buss

Return to Current events