Athletics Weekly

great olympic BBC coverage

This forum has been closed and continues at http://www.athleticsweekly.com/forums/f ... nt-events/

great olympic BBC coverage

Postby jeremy1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:37 pm

All you need on-line is tvcatchup.com with all its Channels which include 24 further channels and when I looked up the Radio Times Olympic Specials TV Guide each sport each day gives the number against the particular sport you want to watch so you control your watching and not the BBC; every day a gem for me, Swimming, Cycling,Gymnastics, Rowing and if I dont want to watch the main BBC1/3 then you have all the alternatives you require..

Great stuff. The only down side is that I will have watch the various dedicated Channels in front of the computer and not the TV as I don't subscribe to Sky, Virgin, Freesat.
jeremy1

Re: great olympic BBC coverage

Postby djlovesyou » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Fantastic news for you.

Who's defeat are you looking forward to the most?
djlovesyou

Postby Laps » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:30 pm

Jeremy prepares his online celebration of dropped batons, DQ's and more than the usual number of Brits caught easing up in the heats.
Laps

Postby jeremy1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Have you heard the rumour that there will be other great athletes from all over the world competing in lots of events. What a shame that we cannot win everything ; but I am sure you have your flag at the ready.

I have my team GB hat and my pins at the ready and my overpriced LOCOG inspired 1948 London Olympic T shirt ready for action on Saturday :lol:
jeremy1

Postby djlovesyou » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:24 pm

I take it your pins will be for the voodoo doll dressed in Stella McCartney athletics kit?
djlovesyou

Postby Laps » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:31 pm

jeremy1 wrote:Have you heard the rumour that there will be other great athletes from all over the world competing in lots of events. What a shame that we cannot win everything ; but I am sure you have your flag at the ready.

Yes I will be cheering on those great athletes in the Olympic Stadium
at six sessions of Athletics, whilst at the same time supporting team GB. You see the two things aren't mutually exclusive.

You can appreciate the limitations and realistic chances of our own competitors without systematically talking them down. I like to think a few of them will blossom at a home games and the negative critics will look a bit foolish.
Laps

Postby Kermit » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:17 pm

BBC's coverage has been excellent both on the red button and on their website. I thought the Beijing stream was good but BBC's better.

If the sport/event is not on BBC1 or Three you don't get idle chat in between matches or half, you get .... live pictures until the event is about to start again. Let's hope Athletics gets the same treatment and we are spared the Mork and Mindy show.
Kermit

Postby Flumpy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:35 pm

BBC1 was a complete shambles this morning. With so much on they are schizophrenically jumping all over the place without properly concentrating on anything. No context to any of the stuff they're showing and no proper follow up to what's gone before.

It's all very well having individual channels for each sport (And thank god they do) but I would expect BBC1 to do a good round up of it all and guide the viewer as to what is happening and where to tune in. Instead it's just a mess.

The red button feeds are brilliant but I think I preferred it a decade or more ago when you could rely on the BBC to show you everything you needed to see rather than having to work it all out yourself and inevitably missing stuff.
Flumpy

Postby AllanW » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Flumpy wrote: but I think I preferred it a decade or more ago when

Yeeees; everything was always that much better in the past, wasn't it? *pat pat*

:lol:

BTW how many or few smileys does one insert to indicate that the comment is meant only as a mild joke rather than a deep-seated critique, please?
AllanW

Postby Kermit » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Flumpy on the red button there is a guide if you go to the alphabet tabs it shows you what's on now (with a guide to the actual event). As soon as you press ok it takes you straight to the stream (It seems like the Beeb have set up a company specifically for these games called OBS). Am currently watching the stream for swimming - with no talking heads :D

I have also tried the online interactive site. Whilst watching that stream if you click "Extras in the bottom right corner it alerts you to results, scores and events about to start. Clicking on any of those takes you to either the live action or the highlight of the result.

Today I have been using the 2012 results app to set up pushes (reminders) of certain events or athletes that I would like to watch. This app combined with the online interactive site has allowed me to watch what I want, when I want and not miss anything of it.
Kermit

Postby Flumpy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:43 pm

Kermit wrote:Flumpy on the red button there is a guide if you go to the alphabet tabs it shows you what's on now (with a guide to the actual event). As soon as you press ok it takes you straight to the stream (It seems like the Beeb have set up a company specifically for these games called OBS). Am currently watching the stream for swimming - with no talking heads :D

Oh I know I'm completely on top of it now. Sitting here planning my viewing for tomorrow.
Flumpy

Postby boysen » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Radio Times listed all the BBC "presenters"...did my eyes decieve me ...did not Colin's name not appear? Denise was om the list so why not?
boysen

Postby Rapunzel1975 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:56 pm

boysen wrote:Radio Times listed all the BBC "presenters"...did my eyes decieve me ...did not Colin's name not appear? Denise was om the list so why not?

Shhhhhhh, don't tempt fate!
Rapunzel1975

Postby ultragirl » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:11 pm

Laps wrote:Image

Jeremy prepares his online celebration of dropped batons, DQ's and more than the usual number of Brits caught easing up in the heats.

Thats sick, if you knew bennyg oops sorry jeremy1 as well s I do you would not make such gestures.
ultragirl

Postby trickstat » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:23 am

Rapunzel1975 wrote:
boysen wrote:Radio Times listed all the BBC "presenters"...did my eyes decieve me ...did not Colin's name not appear? Denise was om the list so why not?

Shhhhhhh, don't tempt fate!

Colin was doing some presenting from the Beach Volleyball tonight. Sports I can't quite see him presenting include fencing, judo, dressage and Greco-Roman Wrestling.
trickstat

Postby SteveK26 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:16 am

One of the worst Olmpic scandals was giving the corporate boys all the best tickets, (for all events) and throwing the crumbs to the paying public (at exhorbitant prices).
I hope the BBC coverage is having the guts,(responsibility), to point out to the viewers at home that the reason they are seeing so many empty seats in all the stadia we are seeing so far is because the corporate boys (and their corporate guests) couldn't be bothered to turn up.
People sitting at home would have given their eye-teeth for tickets that have been issued and ignored.
I wonder if this will be the case when the track and field starts? Will you guys be sitting in some remote spot in the Olympic stadium, wondering why there are so many empty seats opposite the finish line?
The BBC has a duty to report on this , if it continues.
SteveK26

Postby ultragirl » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:30 am

I thought they would have had this covered steve with hologram fans.. :wink: :lol:
ultragirl

Postby chaz_78 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:00 am

For any viwers with Sky there are a multitude of channelsfrom 450-497 showing live coverage of various events. Saves faffing about with the red button which didn't seem to have too many options anyway.

Not sure who's bright idea it was to have 2 athletes, Kelly Holmes & Michael Johnson, and a tennis player, John McEnroe, on last nights highlights show to talk about swimming and cycling when they clearly know nothing about it! Come on BBC, sort the appropriate experts out. Athletics hasn't started yet and they showed a 20 second clip of the Murray's losing in the doubles, which McEnroe wasn't even aware!
chaz_78

Postby Kermit » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:19 am

chaz_78 wrote:For any viwers with Sky there are a multitude of channelsfrom 450-497 showing live coverage of various events. Saves faffing about with the red button which didn't seem to have too many options anyway.

Not sure who's bright idea it was to have 2 athletes, Kelly Holmes & Michael Johnson, and a tennis player, John McEnroe, on last nights highlights show to talk about swimming and cycling when they clearly know nothing about it! Come on BBC, sort the appropriate experts out. Athletics hasn't started yet and they showed a 20 second clip of the Murray's losing in the doubles, which McEnroe wasn't even aware!

The channels were noted on another thread related to the BBC. The red button guide is not difficult to use either. It takes you to the event by-passing the talking heads as well as allowing you to catch up on events you have missed.
Kermit

Postby runjump » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:35 am

From what I understand from reading press releases some time ago the company OBS is independent and serves as the host broadcaster which the BBC and all other TV companies buy their coverage from. All live sport is filmed by OBS and it is up to the national broadcasters how they package it - ie show live sport or cut to studio when the track races have finished. Just because the Olympics is in the UK doesn't mean that the BBC are actually using their cameramen to film the sport. I think the only cameras they have will be in the mixed zones and studios, therefore they can not control the live feeds.
After saying this I may be totally wrong and happy to be corrected!
runjump

Postby trickstat » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:57 pm

chaz_78 wrote:For any viwers with Sky there are a multitude of channelsfrom 450-497 showing live coverage of various events. Saves faffing about with the red button which didn't seem to have too many options anyway.

For those with Virgin the channels are 574-497.
trickstat

Postby runjump » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:56 pm

This might help shed some light over the coverage

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju ... g-coverage
runjump

Postby mump boy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:38 pm

runjump wrote:From what I understand from reading press releases some time ago the company OBS is independent and serves as the host broadcaster which the BBC and all other TV companies buy their coverage from. All live sport is filmed by OBS and it is up to the national broadcasters how they package it - ie show live sport or cut to studio when the track races have finished. Just because the Olympics is in the UK doesn't mean that the BBC are actually using their cameramen to film the sport. I think the only cameras they have will be in the mixed zones and studios, therefore they can not control the live feeds.
After saying this I may be totally wrong and happy to be corrected!

I worked for Athens Olympic Broadcasting in 2004 and it was my understanding that BBC, NBC, other big countries have their own camera, the Olympic Broadcast feed was for other countries, the stadium and internal feed. In this multi media age it is very possible that BBC do have their own feed for major events and are using the Olympic one for others.

I know it's an impossible juggling act to please everyone but i don't think the BBC round up is doing it's jobs t the moment and it is very difficult to keep up with everything yourself.

I've been a little underwhelmed so far, for some reason i feel like i'm missing more stuff this year despite there being LOADS more options. Maybe it's because there is possibility of more that i feel like i'm seeing less :-(
mump boy

Postby AllanW » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:19 pm

mump boy wrote:I know it's an impossible juggling act to please everyone but i don't think the BBC round up is doing it's jobs t the moment and it is very difficult to keep up with everything yourself.

I've been a little underwhelmed so far, for some reason i feel like i'm missing more stuff this year despite there being LOADS more options. Maybe it's because there is possibility of more that i feel like i'm seeing less :-(

You may be experiencing a specific form of information anxiety;

http://www.businessdictionary.com/defin ... xiety.html

Or more likely fomo;

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fomo

Until the Beeb get their act together to reduce the level of my fomo I’ll keep flicking across channels 450 – 474 and catch all I can …
AllanW

Postby jeremy1 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:25 pm

Great coverage with no babbling presenters who are often showing tape delay stuff; if you want genuine direct with no gab go to TVcatchup.com, sign up in seconds and watch it on the computer; I have a good size 23 inch picture so full size is ok and I watch what I want when I want. Its been great so far but I have to avoid sitting and watching everything. Sexcond best ids bbc.co.uk/sport.

Lots of lovely empty spaces at the swimmimg pool and you will find the same situation at the main stadium for the athletics.

Does Coe give a toss? Course he doesnt, as we all know. His feeble crap about the sponsors being God almighty does not wash; if he hadnt been conned by his banker chief executive who told him to get the money in from the Sponsors and allow them to profiteer , many of whose packages have not been sold, then the fans could have got their hands on those tickets and would have paid the prices.
jeremy1

Postby Kermit » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:34 pm

What I like about the BBC online is that I don't miss a thing as it allows you to play catch up.

Tuesday at Wembley is a pay at the gate to watch the first women ever to play football there
Kermit

Postby sidelined » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:35 pm

It's not just corporate sponsors who aren't filling those empty seats. There are also loads of seats reserved for the IOC mafia - sorry, 'family' - and also seats for athletes. It doesn't take a genius to work out that athletes won't be turning up in droves to watch other events in the first few days. There are also loads of seats reserved for the media who are probably watching on a computer screen somewhere. In the stadium the media have the best seats and most of them will be empty because the journalists will mostly be in the mixed zone interviewing athletes while they watch the action on a screen.

So the IOC have to take a lot of the blame for this. (Not that I'm defending the evil corporate types, of course.)
sidelined

Postby boysen » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:35 pm

Media=Bar...it was ever thus
boysen

Postby GBSupporter » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:23 pm

The streams may be great but for those of us with Freeview its far from it . After 2 days i'm fed up with the presenters .The swimming especially ...all we need is Moorhouse and Jameson a great combo ...and Sharon of course . Lineker and Thorpe a complete waste of time and money ...and as much as I like Clare and Mark ..likewise .
I'm constantly switching over to the red button for some relief . If the athletics is like the swimming it'll ruin it .
GBSupporter

Postby Kermit » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:14 am

If our tv has hdmi or usb ports plug your pc in and control it from the website.
Kermit

Next

Return to Current events (Legacy Only)