Athletics Weekly

Adam Gemili will run in London

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Adam Gemili will run in London

Postby Geoff » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:32 pm

As expected, Adam Gemili will run the World Junior Championships, but only in the 100m, and in the London Olympics in the 100m. I think this is the right decision provided he enjoys the experience and the challenge of taking on the world's best senior sprinters.

But what do people think about him running the relay? We're not overblessed with athletes burning up the track and running close to 10 flat so should he be used. It looks like Chambers and Malcolm are in the team plus maybe Ellington but HAA and MLF are running badly at the moment. Others may be considered. What about Gemili to Malcolm to Ellington to Chambers. Yes Chambers on the anchor leg - that will get a few comments! We have to do something like this if we want to challenge for a medal, even a bronze may depend on other teams faltering.
Geoff

Re: Adam Gemili will run in London

Postby ultragirl » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Yes he must do the relay in London and the juniors, vital experience for the future, it will give him confidence, though I would give hin the glory spot and put chambers on the first short leg, given his 60m speed.
ultragirl

Postby trevorp » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:53 pm

As far as the relay is concerned, there's nothing to lose. It's not as if he'd be displacing someone with incredible footspeed or disrupting a honed-to-perfection relay machine.

More generally, I'm glad he'll be running at the Olympics. He proved at the trials that his run in Germany was no fluke. Every case is different but I don't hold with this timid approach to exposing younger athletes to senior competition - if you're fast enough, you're old enough. (Of course it's different for throwers and hurdlers for technical reasons) Although many athletes now enjoy much longer careers than used to be the case, there's still no guarantee that they will be fit or in form at the next championship. When you're hot you're hot - and when you're not you're not, as we've seen in all too many cases this year.
trevorp

Postby Tuckin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:58 pm

Geoff wrote:What about Gemili to Malcolm to Ellington to Chambers.

I'd have thought Malcolm to Gemili rather than the other way round. I agree with Chambers on the last leg - the third leg is a tough one to call, but Ellington might be the man. Shame Marlon seems to have jumped the shark.
Tuckin

Postby usedtoit33 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:12 pm

I agree with what Flumpy said on another thread - concentrate on Barcelona and run London purely for the experience. Soak up the once in a lifetime event. If he goes into London with the right attitude he can learn a lot from running with the big guys.
usedtoit33

Postby foxyjarvis » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:45 pm

He's sacrificed a World Junior 200m title for his Olympic experience. I hope it all works out for him
foxyjarvis

Postby iain » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:13 pm

Surely you would pick Dasaolu over Malcolm?!
iain

Postby 100m » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:38 pm

great to hear, athletics is a fickle sport and this may be his only chance ot run at an olympic games let alone own in his home country, but hopefully we'll see him at rio and 2020!

is he just doing 100m at worlds or relay as well? i would've thought the best thing would be to get out of there not long after the 100m so he doesnt become to emotionally drained and feel as though he's wiped after a week long champinships

and in terms of relay then yes he should run, ok harry aa, mlf and devonish have more experience but its footspeed that counts, and wathcing his relay leg in germany and also his runs at european juniors and mannheim he' certainly very compotent at passing and receving the baton.

best team for me would be; Chambers, Dasalou, Ellington, Gemili. Good chance of a medal if one of the big names slip up
100m

Postby jeremy1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:47 pm

The world of athletics can now carry on. Gemili has been persuaded to run.... the world will continue to spin on its axis. :)
jeremy1

Postby jeremy1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:51 pm

100m wrote:great to hear, athletics is a fickle sport and this may be his only chance ot run at an olympic games let alone own in his home country, but hopefully we'll see him at rio and 2020!

is he just doing 100m at worlds or relay as well? i would've thought the best thing would be to get out of there not long after the 100m so he doesnt become to emotionally drained and feel as though he's wiped after a week long champinships

and in terms of relay then yes he should run, ok harry aa, mlf and devonish have more experience but its footspeed that counts, and wathcing his relay leg in germany and also his runs at european juniors and mannheim he' certainly very compotent at passing and receving the baton.

best team for me would be; Chambers, Dasalou, Ellington, Gemili. Good chance of a medal if one of the big names slip up

Its medals now then... I suppose so if 3 or 4 teams screw up.....dream on.
jeremy1

Postby 100m » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:55 pm

well jamaica are a lock for gold, assuming they dont drop the baton, they've got away with suspect changes for a bit too long i think ...

when was the last tiem USA got a baton round?

trinidad have a strong team, as do the french, thoguh again their underpass technique is dodgy as hell

i dont think there is another team that should worry gb, so yes there is an outside chance, especiall with gemili busting out a 9.2 leg
100m

Postby iain » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:07 pm

Jeremy, there is no need to be quite so negative. How many medals do you expect in London, and from whom? I'm not saying we will win a medal in the relay, but if one of Jamaica, USA, Trinidad slips up then we and France are in pole position to capitalise IMO.
iain

Postby Geoff » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:02 pm

iain wrote:Jeremy, there is no need to be quite so negative. How many medals do you expect in London, and from whom? I'm not saying we will win a medal in the relay, but if one of Jamaica, USA, Trinidad slips up then we and France are in pole position to capitalise IMO.

And little old St Kitts & Nevis :) Possibly Brazil?

Gemili is doing the relay in the World Juniors so a little bit of extra practice for him.

Dasaolu is not in the Helsinki squad but not sure why. Danny talbot is another possibility as surely he can run a big PB in good conditions providing he's healthy.

Perhaps we're being too pushy regarding the relay for Gemili? It will depend on many factors but I wouldn't want too much pressure on him.
Geoff

Postby ultragirl » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:31 pm

Relay medals should not count as a NGB saving gift horse, especially when they are so often won by default. Sould the medals be quarter size so as to just represent one medal ?
ultragirl

Postby djlovesyou » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:01 pm

ultragirl wrote:Relay medals should not count as a NGB saving gift horse, especially when they are so often won by default. Sould the medals be quarter size so as to just represent one medal ?

Your enjoyment of the sport would be greatly enhanced if you weren't so worried about how each and every medal won (or lost) is going to reflect on the NGB.

Surely given your stance is that you don't support the NGB (fair enough), this can only lead to you hoping all British athletes fail at the Olympics. Seems a bit of a depressing position to be in.
djlovesyou

Postby trickstat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:13 pm

AG running in the relay:

Pros

1. He appears to have the highest top speed of any current British sprinter and therefore may well be the quickest over a flying 100m.
2. He has some experience of the event at international level, albeit at junior level. Hopefully, this will be enhanced by the World Juniors.

Cons

1. I assume he has not done any relay practice as yet with the other potential members of the senior squad.
2. I would have thought it very unlikely that he would do any relay practice with the seniors until after the World Juniors.
trickstat

Postby sidelined » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:52 pm

Here's CVC at his most entertaining on the subject of Gemili running in London:

"I am not sending my 12-year-old niece to fight al-Qaeda," Van Commenee said. "We are going to the Games. It's fun! I have been there eight times. I laughed my ass off!"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju ... i-olympics
sidelined

Postby eastv » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:17 pm

who thinks he can brake the 100m world junior record
eastv

Postby olympic » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:36 am

Coaches are commercial - they won't get paid more or attract new clients if a junior goes out in Olympic rounds - it is all about money. Best for juniors to experience Olympics if good enough - get beat - come back stronger with experience. Coaches want world juniors as focus not Olympic distraction - this is wrong - he should miss world juniors. At his age - the Olympics could inspire him to greatness. Winning against soft juniors when you can beat seniors does not help with temperament in the future.
olympic

Postby olympic » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Same goes for Jodie last year - she missed the world champs - she was running the times - may not have another opportunity.
olympic

Postby olympic » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:04 pm

He looks good on the IAAF rankings when you tAke 3 USA jamaicans and t&t.
olympic

Return to Current events