Athletics Weekly

Tasha Danvers Retires

This forum has been closed and continues at http://www.athleticsweekly.com/forums/f ... nt-events/

Tasha Danvers Retires

Postby Kermit » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Absolutely gutted for her. I wonder how many other athletes have or are going through the same thing that she has gone through.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/other/201 ... mo.twitter

I was feeling great, but I felt my hamstring tightening and decided to stop training. As I was driving home, I just started balling my eyes out. I went back to the flat and started taking all the sleeping pills I could find
Last edited by Kermit on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kermit

Re: Tasha Dancers Retires

Postby jjimbojames » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:42 pm

Indeed - always had that glimmer of hope. If only other people could realise it's not that easy getting to the top, let alone staying there

Btw - typo on her name, Kermit
jjimbojames

Re: Tasha Danvers Retires

Postby Kermit » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:56 pm

Duly noted JJimbo but then there is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05HF-G5v1x8 8)
Kermit

Postby paul » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:10 pm

Danvers was blessed with amazing athletic ability, which she converted into an Olympic medal. This is more than
most amazing athletes manage, so from that point on she had nothing to prove. -- Although the hope for more and
greater glory is always there, of course.

So, my admiration for and sympathy with Danvers is very great.

But as for the story in The People, I find it more-or-less unreadable. This is probably because I am thick,
but if anyone can give me a translation I'd be grateful.
(Thanks Kermit for posting it. It is just the journalistic story itself that makes me feel queasy.)
If I understand correctly, the circumstances it refers to occured 1 year ago when, as we know, Danvers picked up
a niggling but dispiriting injury.

Is there anything else in the story? Besides a non-chronological assortment of apparent quotes and recollections,
mostly on very private matters? ...Structured, from the look of it, purely to sell newspapers, and with no regard for
conveying meaning, let alone the human subject.
paul

Postby AllanW » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

paul wrote:Is there anything else in the story? Besides a non-chronological assortment of apparent quotes and recollections,
mostly on very private matters? ...Structured, from the look of it, purely to sell newspapers, and with no regard for
conveying meaning, let alone the human subject.

Have you been watching the Leveson inquiry? This is a feature not a bug.
AllanW

Postby Kermit » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:05 pm

Paul, it does look disjointed but suffice to say there have been a lot of problems both private and with injuries over the last 4 years. But the main factor of this story is depression and how it can consume an athlete or anybody involved in sports at a very high level.
Kermit

Postby TheRealSub10 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:32 pm

"Athletics Identity" google it... those who score highly on it often have huge problems transitioning to real life.
TheRealSub10

Postby 3a » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:45 pm

There is a definite and distinct difference between clinical depression and attention seeking personality disorder.
3a

Postby gp72 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:13 pm

Very sad article.
Wish her well!
gp72

Postby athlete101 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:00 pm

3a wrote:There is a definite and distinct difference between clinical depression and attention seeking personality disorder.

A very sad remark to make. Ignorant!!

Having read this story I can only applaud Miss Danvers for coming out with an extremely private and personal matter.

Despite the injurys over the past 4years she has had an incredible career.
athlete101

Postby Kermit » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:04 pm

3a wrote:There is a definite and distinct difference between clinical depression and attention seeking personality disorder.

So wrong and so disrespectful
Kermit

Postby bevone » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:04 am

Just saw this - what a shame - she was though brilliant when she did her stint as a reporter - i think she would be a great addition tothe bbc team as a pOst race intereviewer or jsut somene who woudl do little articles iN The athletes village - a behind the scenes type spot where she would be great using her personality performing improptu and relaxed interviews I think and would add to the coverage.

Regarding the dance thing - I think it is a lot of fun and you cannot train all day so how ever long it took the to practice that (a few reperated moves Im sure didnt take that long) I am sure it has not affect on performance what so ever. however, as tom daley the diver found out, if the media get hold of such things they can jump on it if he is doing badly and in this case has prompted one distasteful comment but could actually be viewed a fair game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bws52wtv6Ts

This is the daley one - hilarious - they deserve a bit of banter for this!
bevone

Return to Current events (Legacy Only)