Athletics Weekly

seeking reassurance about ....

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

seeking reassurance about ....

Postby PJS » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:41 pm

I am quite surprised that Jodie Williams, as far as I can see, hasn't run outdoors to date... I read that she was focusing on her exams, and that she might be running at some meet this weekend... but still... she didn't look at her best indoors...so seeking reassurance that all is well with her... and in a way, glad that hr build up so far is so low key that no Bolt-esque expectations are put on her young quads...

then again, doesn't she train with Asha Philips? and I notice she also doesn't seem to have been out and about competitively - so is this a strategy of the coach to leave it all for the trials (risky!) ? Again reassurance required...

and finally, and a personal favourite, PSD... is she carrying an injury? I really hope not... but I was expecting 54.XX by now and I read she was supposed to be at the Diamond League in New York - but not there? Desperate for reassurance here...
PJS

Re: seeking reassurance about ....

Postby jambob » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Jodie ran at Watford at the end of May 11.87 (-1.3). She is down for the 100 and 200 at the Bedford Games tomorrow.
jambob

Postby PJS » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:51 pm

jambob wrote:Jodie ran at Watford at the end of May 11.87 (-1.3). She is down for the 100 and 200 at the Bedford Games tomorrow.

thank you jambob ...

but it seems very, low key build up... but what do I know.
PJS

Postby mump boy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:02 pm

She's in the middle of her A'Levels and may not run again until the trials
mump boy

Postby b-athletics » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:03 pm

Well I wouldn't worry about Jodie or Asha, they're both in the same training group along with Desiree Henry, they have all been in hard training over the past few months. They have only raced once whilst in a big chunk of training and in VERY poor conditions so don't worry there!
With PSD she has pulled out of New York because she wants to focus on the trials, a week ago however, she did have a cold or something but looking at her twitter she is saying she is in hard training. Hope this has helped ease you a little :)
b-athletics

Postby PJS » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:08 pm

b-athletics wrote:Well I wouldn't worry about Jodie or Asha, they're both in the same training group along with Desiree Henry, they have all been in hard training over the past few months. They have only raced once whilst in a big chunk of training and in VERY poor conditions so don't worry there!
With PSD she has pulled out of New York because she wants to focus on the trials, a week ago however, she did have a cold or something but looking at her twitter she is saying she is in hard training. Hope this has helped ease you a little :)

just the reassurance I was seeking.. .

cheers
PJS

Postby taffy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Sorry to hyjack your thread, but I didn't want to start a new one.

Did anyone watch Olympic dreams? if so what an amzingattitude and personality Nicola Adams the boxer has. I was also impressed with Jade Jones.

I think our women are going to shine in London, especially in the pool.
taffy

Postby Guto Nyth Bran » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:30 pm

PJS wrote:
b-athletics wrote:Well I wouldn't worry about Jodie or Asha, they're both in the same training group along with Desiree Henry, they have all been in hard training over the past few months. They have only raced once whilst in a big chunk of training and in VERY poor conditions so don't worry there!

just the reassurance I was seeking.. .

cheers

I think Jodie's also been taking her A levels as well?
Guto Nyth Bran

Postby 2dodgy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:10 pm

As far as I'm aware, Asha is coached by Christine Bowmaker and not Mike Mac. This has been the case for quite a while now, certainly all through the winter.
2dodgy

Postby bevone » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:37 pm

Is Christine working with a mentor or working alone now? The only reason I ask is because i know her to be a competent person and I think she is an excellent role model and it is about time we had more women coaching at the highest level and also women coaching women. Young women react well to good female role models and it encourages them to stay in the sport - so if this is the cae=se - great news and positive news. I think the young telented female sprinters will flourish with her help as well as having mentor as well. I assume this was above board and Mike was OK with it or is still part of the system - otherwise I could take a very negative response to this - but still encourage females to have the opportunity to be coached by the same sex.
bevone

Postby sidelined » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:51 pm

...speaking of which, where is Asha Philip? I think she's been doing university exams, but I hope she's going to put in an appearance soon.
sidelined

Postby trevorp » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:49 am

sidelined wrote:...speaking of which, where is Asha Philip?

She ran 12.86 (-2.6) in California in late April. I did wonder if she was injured when I saw that. Someone mentioned above that she is in heavy training, but surely that doesn't explain this sort of form.
trevorp

Return to Current events