Athletics Weekly

DL New York - 9th June 2012

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Re: DL New York - 9th June 2012

Postby SteveK26 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:26 pm

One word can accurately describe what Grabarz has achieved this year...MAGNIFICENT.

Isn't it great to have Christine back at her best!! There were times I seriously doubted she would ever run really quick again.
Those doubts are gone...she looks to be timing things to perfection, and I fancy her to run sub 50 this year. Whether she can medal in London is almost irrelevant to me...I'm just so happy to see her back doing what she does best, and not having to struggle with injuries.
SteveK26

Postby taffy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:32 pm

She is way better this year. Remember last year at Doha were she virtually sat in the blocks and gave them 5 meters at the start.

She does need to pick it up and be more in contention after 200 though. If she can 50.2/50.3 pre London she'll be in the mix. Any quicker and watch OUT!!!!!
taffy

Postby boysen » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:35 pm

Are our cousins soft on false starts....rules are rules but their generosity is ????
boysen

Postby SteveK26 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:43 pm

Taffy
At the risk of sounding boring, I'll state the obvious...Christine has always been a Championships runner. She copes better than most with rounds, and she gets her 'peak' right. Those girls who are running 49's now, might not be quite so good in London, and might just get run down by a Stratford girl on a mission.
Its brilliant to see her creeping ever so much closer to the times she will need. The others will soon start to worrying about her.
I don't think the girls look good enough to medal in the relay, though. Unless Miss Ennis runs a leg, of course!
SteveK26

Postby taffy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:54 pm

I totally agree Steve, at her being a champ performer. I just think if she can post a 50.2 and the others remain 49.5 to 50 range they will be cacking themselves which will be beneficial. Her surge ove the last 40 tonight was vintage.

The I doubt it will effect Monthsho psychologically, she seems raw!!!!

Ive said give Jess a go in the 400 for ages!!!!! as it stands they are going to be in no mans land in 4th. Play a wild card who i reckon could drop a mid 50 point on a relay leg,if she messes up so what. If we can get PSD in contention on leg 4 she will take the Russian. Jamaica will have two sub 50 girls come London and then twi in for hurdlers, so they will be too far ahead.The yanks, with felix balsting the second leg will be even further ahead.
taffy

Postby iain » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:03 am

I'm reserving judgement on relay chances until after the trials. Unfortunately I don't think Jess will run a 4x4 but if they might be able to persuade her to do it at the europeans where there is no chance of letting anyone down. If she ran around 51 she might consider it for London. Still, wishful thinking IMO.
iain

Postby taffy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:13 am

Hey the euros is a great shout. i just think its all too late. They should have done it at a euro cup before and then she may have said yes as she could have done that and another event, thus making the weekend trip worth while. She hasn't gone previously as its too far to go to justify it ofr one event.

i just think they need a John Regis / katherine Merry like moment to give them a spicey chance.
taffy

Postby SteveK26 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:46 am

With the heptathlon on the first two days, Jess has a chance of recovering for the relay.
BUT....will they consider her unless she has a time under her belt?

They did it with 'two-chests' Regis, (with spectacular results), in 1991. Is CVC too conservative to try the same piece of innovation with Ennis?I think he probably is; which would be a shame since it looks like the girls may need one more player capable of low 50 split to be in contention. I'm sure CO will run a great leg if she is in contention and chasing. (not the first leg please).
SteveK26

Postby taffy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:32 am

I thought they also did it with Merry in Budapest 98? This is purely from memory, I never google a fact first, so i could well be wrong.
taffy

Postby jjimbojames » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:25 am

taffy wrote:I thought they also did it with Merry in Budapest 98? This is purely from memory, I never google a fact first, so i could well be wrong.

You are correct - 3rd leg in 50.3x

We need a solid first leg to have any chance. Cox was average at World Indoors - 5th in the individual and yet 4th in the relay :? but PSD is wasted on there if the other girls are going to get run down

Lee is Miss Reliable, particularly if Nicola can't get to 51.low - such a shame, but we haven't seen too much of the Russians yet, so there's still a chance of a medal
jjimbojames

Postby SteveK26 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:40 am

Taffy
Quite right. Merry did not embark on her serious 400 career until 1999.
Shame she only had three years until injury finally finished her career, at the end of 2001 , in effect.

Great athlete who could have gone on to even greater heights imo.
SteveK26

Postby trevorp » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:42 am

I really don't get this clamour for Jess to do a 400 leg, she already has enough on her plate as it is. Interesting that someone mentioned drafting a sprinter into the squad, which does sometimes work. There clearly isn't any woman of Regis-like abilities going spare, but I do wonder what Anyika Onuora's endurance is like? She's not exactly explosive out of the blocks so will never make much impact over 100m but is a decent 200m runner and for me a far more likely candidate than Jess.
Someone even suggested a few weeks ago that Jess should take up 400H. Jess is already in exactly the right event for her abilities. Yes, she's an excellent technical sprint hurdler and yes, she can run what is for a heptathlete a reasonable 800, but it's not just a simple matter of looking at stats and 'splitting the difference'. I'm as big an admirer of Jess as anyone, but her stature is a factor. She's not a store cupboard panacea!

Taffy, Merry did run a 50.37 third leg in Budapest 98, but remember the next year she was 5th in the WC and we all know what the year after that brought, so she already had enormous potential over 400 even though she didn't have the times on paper.
trevorp

Postby fangio » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:51 am

Merry ran 51.02 in 1998, I think it was the GBR vs USA match but can't find the results anywhere. Not much of a risk to put her in the relay.
fangio

Postby taffy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:14 am

trevorp wrote:I really don't get this clamour for Jess to do a 400 leg, she already has enough on her plate as it is. Interesting that someone mentioned drafting a sprinter into the squad, which does sometimes work. There clearly isn't any woman of Regis-like abilities going spare, but I do wonder what Anyika Onuora's endurance is like? She's not exactly explosive out of the blocks so will never make much impact over 100m but is a decent 200m runner and for me a far more likely candidate than Jess.
Someone even suggested a few weeks ago that Jess should take up 400H. Jess is already in exactly the right event for her abilities. Yes, she's an excellent technical sprint hurdler and yes, she can run what is for a heptathlete a reasonable 800, but it's not just a simple matter of looking at stats and 'splitting the difference'. I'm as big an admirer of Jess as anyone, but her stature is a factor. She's not a store cupboard panacea!

Taffy, Merry did run a 50.37 third leg in Budapest 98, but remember the next year she was 5th in the WC and we all know what the year after that brought, so she already had enormous potential over 400 even though she didn't have the times on paper.

Yes I know what she did in 1999. what was great about that was that it was her decision, over ruling Christie, to do the individual 400 that year. Fanjio, I just feel a jess like runner could give us an extra half a second compared to the current options. as for enough on her plate already, others have done it at other events. Kluft, Barber, Daley T. All im saying is if she did a relay leg prior to the OG and ran sub52 id put her in as at the OG id say she could go sub51 and close to 50 flat. at the moment, unless their form fades, which it might, I cant see us taking the Russians or Jamaicans. Ultimately who will care if they finish 4th or 6th? But a bronze .....................
taffy

Postby SteveK26 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:32 am

Trevor
The person that pushed the idea that Jess would make a great 400 hurdler was me, and I stand by it . although obviously it was said slightly tongue in cheek.
It seems perfectly good logic to me. Forget the fact that she happens to be the best heptathlete in the world for a minute. So was Carolina Kluft. Jess also happens to be faster than Gunnell was over 100 hurdles, and although I haven't googled it, probably quicker over 800 as well. So why is not reasonable to think she may get fed up with hept. and turn to the 400 hurdles?
Considering the time she could save with not having to do shot, jav and high jump training , she might turn into an awesome long hurdler, no?
And then she could do relay as well... :D

Heptathlon can take an awful toll , so if you have achieved all there is to achieve, why not move on to something else if you have the talent to do so?
SteveK26

Postby jjimbojames » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:36 am

I think if Jess were to win in London with a new PB/7000 points, we'll see her try new things but if she loses / scores low and somehow wins then we won't

Colin would obviously love to see her concentrate on the 100mH - where she can keep honing that "silky smooth"TM technique...! :lol:
jjimbojames

Postby PJS » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:35 am

may I postulate again...

for that one change in the women's 4x400 that is going to make a difference, rather than the sprinter (200) athlete, moving up a la Regis, what about the more endurance (800) athlete stepping down, a la Coe.

The first leg can't win you the relay but it can certainly loose you it. We have to remain in contention, at the handover of first to second leg, and I tend to view the first leg more as a 400m plus - so a stronger runner, well paced, and well briefed about what is expected. Ms. McConnell has been very reliable but, if we are to gamble for that medal, this is where I would take the risk ... who is most able amongst the 800m runners to follow the brief, get the baton around safely and pace well enough that we remain in close order...

then its over to CO (close any gap steadily) - Sanders (tuck in and dont loose any more than 2m) - PSD (go girl!)
PJS

Postby jjimbojames » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:45 am

Maz would be the obvious choice for your idea, PJS, and I always get the impression she has one eye on a relay spot, perhaps at the expense of a bit more endurance IMO

An alternative would be a 400mH on there - would certainly have the strength to last the 'extra' you allude to, but perhaps a little more used to the 400m distance. I think a lot of people were put off this idea by Tasha's Sydney leg but to be fair to her, she rarely ran the flat and PSD showed last year what a hurdler can do (not quite like for like here, granted!)

If Shana can knock a bit more off her times, I think she's safe on lead off - the choice will be Nicola vs Lee on 2nd IMO, with TBO on 3rd and PSD on 4th. The heats will possibly be the testing ground, resting one or two of the big guns to allow a time trial
jjimbojames

Postby sidelined » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:48 am

Nicola Sanders was tweeting yesterday about having an MRI scan, so don't get your hopes up. It's a bit worrying also that Lee McConnell has been running 52.x this season, when she usually runs 51.x.

PJS and jjimbojames are right: let's not forget that Maz has run a 50.9 relay leg in her time, and is coming into her best form for several seasons. But I can't help feeling the given the strength in depth of USA, RUS and JAM, it's going to take a miracle to get GBR on the podium - but them we had a miracle in Istanbul.
sidelined

Postby PJS » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:11 am

relays are a funny ol' game... dropped batons, poor handovers, teams DQ'd at heats etc etc...and so its not unreasonable to speculate its not all about the speed of the top nations.

Yes Maz would be a strong candidate; clearly has the endurance to go that "extra" bit, and has demonstrated time and time again that she can take it out over the first lap.

And it all starts in the heats - where the mission is to make sure we are not stranded out in lanes 7/8.

My argument for the 2nd leg is that we have to remain in contention... if we are not, its pointless stacking legs 3 and 4 with CO and PSD.

That's why I would put CO in the 2nd leg, and her brief is to run smart. If on the day the USA are 15 metres away and increasing, OK - accept it. Your mission then, CO, and you will accept it, is then to make sure you bring down any gap to silver/bronze - steadily - so that at change over 2/3 we are less that 5m from the medal.

If for some reason, some twist of fate, when CO receives the baton and she is in a group of 3/4 at the front, she tucks in and looses no ground, but, again being slightly contentious, there is no gain for the team to have her then try to get a lead, having leg 3 dangle out front is pointless...

Leg 3 - simple brief no more than 5m behind medal (what ever colour)... do or die.

PSD is a chaser, on the flat, get her within 5m of a medal at the handover; hear the crowd roar, the goosebumps raise, screaming at inanimate TVs across the country, and by-golly, I'll be crying like a baby if its bronze!!

Sure, its easy on paper ...
PJS

Postby iain » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:14 am

Ohuruogu shouldn't run 2nd because her first 100m isn't quick enough and she is a good chaser. Lets also remember that Sanders ran 50.7 last year despite only just running sub-52 individual. First is most important, if Shana can't do it then play it safe with PSD IMO. I think Shana should be fine though. PSD could run 2nd?
iain

Postby Geoff » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:15 am

Final line up Cox/PSD/Child/CO unless Nicola or Lee start running low 51's. I expect Cox to be running sub 51 in London and Child to run a 50point something relay leg.
Geoff

Postby taffy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:20 am

PSD has to be last leg.

Id put CO on third

Lee or Shana first. a fit nicola is ideal on second if not shana or Lee
taffy

Postby iain » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:23 am

PSD is running 400m flat at Bedford today I think. Does anyone know if TBO, Cox, Sanders and McConnell are running again before the trials? And at the mo I would still say Cox-PSD-Sanders-TBO with Lee and Maz in heats hopefully. I disagree with PSD last, she has never run anyone down.
2010 Euros - almost runs down German
2011 Euro Cup - almost runs down Russian
Though I do think she will hold off almost anyone.
We should definitely do a bit of testing at the Euros.
iain

Postby taffy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:34 am

and CO has?
taffy

Postby PJS » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:51 am

I dont mean to offend anyone ...but "uuuuuuuffffffffff" some of your 4x400 combos!

whats the point of having CO on the last leg if we are not even in contention... its a bit like getting dressed up for Saturday night and having no where to go :)

I am sorry ... extrapolating from past performance is all well and good but the London 2012 factor, however ephemeral it may seem now, will be palpable on the day, and that will manifest in PSD on the last leg, less than 5m behind any given medal ... which of us discussing now, did not see what can happen at the world indoors??

of course there could be injury or illness and I will look rather silly...
PJS

Postby Rapunzel1975 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:12 pm

jjimbojames wrote:I think if Jess were to win in London with a new PB/7000 points, we'll see her try new things but if she loses / scores low and somehow wins then we won't

Colin would obviously love to see her concentrate on the 100mH - where she can keep honing that "silky smooth"TM technique...! :lol:

I've thought of late that Jess might be better off going to the 200m once she's done all she wants in the Hep. She ran 22.88 recently after having already run a 100mH, High Jumped and then Shot Putted!! I'd like to see what she could do running a couple of those fresh.
Rapunzel1975

Postby iain » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:44 pm

I was thinking that after Cox and PSD on 1 and 2 we should be right up with the Russians and Jamaicans. I then think that Nicola (or Lee) should be able to keep us within striking distance for TBO. I don't think the Russians have looked too great thus far, although I don't think Krivoshapka has started her season yet.
iain

Postby jambob » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:55 pm

PSD has run 51.26 400m flat at the Bedford Games.
jambob

Postby Flumpy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:16 pm

taffy wrote:PSD has to be last leg.

Id put CO on third

Lee or Shana first. a fit nicola is ideal on second if not shana or Lee

THIS!!!

It's the only possible solution. Depending on the form of Nicola/Lee/Shana it's possible that either Eilidh or Maz could take one of these places. Obvs Jess would be a great idea but doubt it will happen.

TBO and PSD have to be 3rd and 4th.
Flumpy

PreviousNext

Return to Current events