Athletics Weekly

DL New York - 9th June 2012

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Re: DL New York - 9th June 2012

Postby Geoff » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:35 pm

Ohuruogu will probably run the last leg in London. I think she has a better mindset than previously and will chase or hold off as required. Cox and PSD will put us up there particularly if Cox can open with sub 51 and PSD do a sub 50 which both are capable of. Third leg is then open but I haven't seen much from Nicola to suugest she's strong enough, for whatever reason, and could fade badly in the home straight. Eillidh or Lee would be my preferred option but will depend on how they run in the individual events. Remember the women's 800 semi finals are the night before the morning heats of the relay so that would appear to scupper Maz's chance of running in the heats.
Geoff
 
Posts: 3337
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:33 am

Re: DL New York - 9th June 2012

Postby Kermit » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:53 pm

jjimbojames wrote:I think if Jess were to win in London with a new PB/7000 points, we'll see her try new things but if she loses / scores low and somehow wins then we won't

Colin would obviously love to see her concentrate on the 100mH - where she can keep honing that "silky smooth"TM technique...! :lol:


"Indeed"TM :lol:

Are you are seriously considering Jess to run in the 4x4 over the 4x1? Her starts could make a huge difference to the 4x1 squad.
Kermit
 
Posts: 5379
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:15 pm
Location: Essex

Re: DL New York - 9th June 2012

Postby Kermit » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:58 pm

jjimbojames wrote:
taffy wrote:I thought they also did it with Merry in Budapest 98? This is purely from memory, I never google a fact first, so i could well be wrong.

You are correct - 3rd leg in 50.3x

We need a solid first leg to have any chance. Cox was average at World Indoors - 5th in the individual and yet 4th in the relay :? but PSD is wasted on there if the other girls are going to get run down

Lee is Miss Reliable, particularly if Nicola can't get to 51.low - such a shame, but we haven't seen too much of the Russians yet, so there's still a chance of a medal


We should know a little more about the state of the Russians by tomorrow late afternoon!
Kermit
 
Posts: 5379
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:15 pm
Location: Essex

Re: DL New York - 9th June 2012

Postby jjimbojames » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:00 pm

Kermit wrote:
jjimbojames wrote:I think if Jess were to win in London with a new PB/7000 points, we'll see her try new things but if she loses / scores low and somehow wins then we won't

Colin would obviously love to see her concentrate on the 100mH - where she can keep honing that "silky smooth"TM technique...! :lol:


"Indeed"TM :lol:

Are you are seriously considering Jess to run in the 4x4 over the 4x1? Her starts could make a huge difference to the 4x1 squad.

Especially as the individual times are not looking great ATM (though hopefully J'nette, Jodie and Asha are about to bring their A game...!) and the 4x100m is after the 4x400m
jjimbojames
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:03 pm

Re: DL New York - 9th June 2012

Postby Geoff » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:12 pm

I can't see Jess running in either relay unless there's a mass outbreak of injuries. She's down to run the 100H if she has a disaster in the heptathlon otherwise I see her resting her body and enjoying the athletics!
Geoff
 
Posts: 3337
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:33 am

Re: DL New York - 9th June 2012

Postby taffy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:28 pm

I can't see her running it either, my point was she should have been in the pool ages ago.
taffy
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:12 pm

Re: DL New York - 9th June 2012

Postby Flumpy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:18 pm

Kermit wrote:
jjimbojames wrote:
taffy wrote:I thought they also did it with Merry in Budapest 98? This is purely from memory, I never google a fact first, so i could well be wrong.

You are correct - 3rd leg in 50.3x

We need a solid first leg to have any chance. Cox was average at World Indoors - 5th in the individual and yet 4th in the relay :? but PSD is wasted on there if the other girls are going to get run down

Lee is Miss Reliable, particularly if Nicola can't get to 51.low - such a shame, but we haven't seen too much of the Russians yet, so there's still a chance of a medal


We should know a little more about the state of the Russians by tomorrow late afternoon!


When 7 of them will have run 49.50.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:11 pm

Re: DL New York - 9th June 2012

Postby d pickup » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:34 pm

Please, does anybody know the 200, 400, 600 splits for Rudisha in his 1.41.74 800?
d pickup
 
Posts: 4003
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:59 am

Re: DL New York - 9th June 2012

Postby Kermit » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:48 pm

taffy wrote:I totally agree Steve, at her being a champ performer. I just think if she can post a 50.2 and the others remain 49.5 to 50 range they will be cacking themselves which will be beneficial. Her surge ove the last 40 tonight was vintage.


In her announcement of competing at the London DL it transpired that CO's time on Saturday was her fastest prior to a major championship event!

http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/dlm/ne ... 65307.html

I guess there is more to come, so long as she remains injury free.
Kermit
 
Posts: 5379
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:15 pm
Location: Essex

Re: DL New York - 9th June 2012

Postby gp72 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:04 pm

51.26Seconds for PSD---YEAH!!!!
gp72
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: DL New York - 9th June 2012

Postby mump boy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:17 pm

iain wrote:Ohuruogu shouldn't run 2nd because her first 100m isn't quick enough and she is a good chaser. Lets also remember that Sanders ran 50.7 last year despite only just running sub-52 individual. First is most important, if Shana can't do it then play it safe with PSD IMO. I think Shana should be fine though. PSD could run 2nd?


So who's running anchor ?? :?
mump boy
 
Posts: 2856
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:06 am

Re: DL New York - 9th June 2012

Postby gp72 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:19 pm

On a different note:
The womens 100m dash is looking mighty interesting with the likes of
Tianna Madison
Kimberlyn Duncan
and Murielle Ahoure

Are these the three dark horses in the field that could upset?
gp72
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: DL New York - 9th June 2012

Postby gp72 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Lee McConnell opening leg
Shana Cox second
PSD third
CO 4th leg

heats
Lee McConnell
Maz Okoro
Elidh Child
PSD
gp72
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: DL New York - 9th June 2012

Postby mump boy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:23 pm

Kermit wrote:
taffy wrote:I totally agree Steve, at her being a champ performer. I just think if she can post a 50.2 and the others remain 49.5 to 50 range they will be cacking themselves which will be beneficial. Her surge ove the last 40 tonight was vintage.


In her announcement of competing at the London DL it transpired that CO's time on Saturday was her fastest prior to a major championship event!

http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/dlm/ne ... 65307.html

I guess there is more to come, so long as she remains injury free.


She ran faster in her first race back in a small meet before Osaka. I think she ran 50.5 which prompted me to put some money on her at great odds and win a packet :D
mump boy
 
Posts: 2856
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:06 am

Re: DL New York - 9th June 2012

Postby gp72 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:26 pm

Is Jenny Meadows running this year? Could she be a relay alternate for the 4X400m women?

I would be happy to have Jess on the 4x100m with Tiff and Jody and Abi.
gp72
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: DL New York - 9th June 2012

Postby Kermit » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:53 pm

gp72 wrote:Is Jenny Meadows running this year? Could she be a relay alternate for the 4X400m women?

I would be happy to have Jess on the 4x100m with Tiff and Jody and Abi.


The only way an 800m runner is taking part in the 4x4 is if they get knocked out of the 8s in the first round. Either that or they are not selected for the 800m.

The 800 is too close to the 4x4
Kermit
 
Posts: 5379
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:15 pm
Location: Essex

Previous

Return to Current events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests

 

Athletics Weekly Limited © 2010. Terms of use

Design by The Church of London