Athletics Weekly

Greg Rutherford

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Re: Greg Rutherford

Postby Geoff » Fri May 04, 2012 12:46 pm

Rutherford's jump is real! There are rumours of Chambers running 9.97 somewhere but nothing official and no one knows where!!!
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri May 04, 2012 1:07 pm

rapunzel75 wrote:
Geoff wrote:Rutherford's jump is real! There are rumours of Chambers running 9.97 somewhere but nothing official and no one knows where!!!

It just seemed a coincidence that Dwain's time would equal his PB and Greg's equals the British Record.

Good on him. Looking forward to GR, CT & JJJ fighting it out during the year.

Should be a good year for British long jumping. It wouldn't totally surprise me to see 5 or 6 Brits go over 8m this year and for Jegede to jump 8.20. I'd be more suprised to see that Chambers ran 9.97 yesterday!
Geoff

Postby bevone » Fri May 04, 2012 4:17 pm

Rutherfords 8.35 was at chula vista again - no other results from that meet - nobody sees to have identified where dwinw ran his 9.97 though. Two uk records equalled is encouraging and indactoive of what shape these people are in. Those running slowly / performing badly in Olympic year this time of year should be concerned.As a coach and athlete I would be.
bevone

Postby boysen » Fri May 04, 2012 10:18 pm

If the 9.97 is legal I would be very,very surprised if any other B rit runs faster this year. Frankly I did not think DC still had this speed about him.
boysen

Postby Geoff » Fri May 04, 2012 11:10 pm

There is no news about Chambers so better disregard it. Once again there were only 3 athletes in Rutherford's comp with no one else getting over 7m. A legitimate performance but can UKA say why domestic meets don't count?
Geoff

Postby trickstat » Fri May 04, 2012 11:42 pm

Regarding the rules concerning eligibility of qualifying standards at domestic meetings and abroad I can imagine the thinking when they were set up went something like this:

Domestic meetings - I suppose they didn't want to be selecting athletes who only do their qualifying standard at an area or local league match, open meeting, minor representative match etc in front of 3 spectators and a dog. I can see their point with this as I can think of a few male throwers of the fairly recent past who definitely fell into this sort of category.

Meetings held abroad - Perhaps it was thought that top British athletes were only likely to compete or achieve standards at quite major meetings so it wasn't necessary to put in any similar restrictions. Obviously, this would appear to have been a rather naive judgement to say the least as British athletes do actually compete abroad at some quite minor meetings.
trickstat

Previous

Return to Current events