Athletics Weekly

2012 Outdoors: predictions, guesses & wishes

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Re: 2012 Outdoors: predictions, guesses & wishes

Postby 1mummydearest » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:53 pm

Ha ha hahaha best post of the week read the list and i think the funniest name on list
was Anne Widdecombe (gymnastic, rhythmic)to win a medal at olympics
1mummydearest

Postby SteveK26 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:04 am

Had that Guardian list been written a bit more recently I'm sure it would have included Christine O.
It could have included Hannah and/or Lisa as well.
I also have a strong feeling that Tiffany Porter is going to shine in London.
SteveK26

Postby mump boy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:10 am

Geoff wrote:London 2012: Britain's 50 best medal hopesWelcome to the Guardian's choice of Britain's top 50 medal hopes. We've looked at contenders across all 26 sports and ranked them on their likelihood of winning gold. To begin, click on the faces on the bottom of the screen and use the arrow to see more athletes. Who have we missed? Suggest your 51st top medal hope here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/interac ... nteractive

The Guardian have 5 athletes in their top 50. Ennis, Idowu, Farah, Greene and Paula. This shows how tough it's going to be to get 8 with all of us hoping a further half dozen medal chances exist from those who raise their game.

but Mo = 2 so they have 5 realistic medal shots there (i'm discounting paula) add in 2 relays and a couple of surprises (e.g. Hannah England, Andy Turner etc). With the likes of Aldama, Bleasdale, Porter, PSD, TBO (i'm struggling to think of any men) on the verge of medals i think 8 is achievable.
mump boy

Postby fangio » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:26 am

If the list was as Geoff said based on their chance of winning gold then Bleasedale would not be in my top 50 either but on the chance of winning any medal she'd be up there, same with Porter, and the mens 4x100 for a start.
fangio

Postby boysen » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:12 am

Cannot dispute the 8 is achievable but life being what it is the greater likelihood will be five at best. Luck, both good and bad, will play an important part. Initially we have to hope that none of the eight sustain an injury, that the expected opposition do not all perform to their maximum, that fringe medallists from around the World do not have their day of days.
boysen

Postby damienc » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Apologies if this is an obvious or has already been answered but, with Christine being Olympic champion, do we get to put four women in the 400m if all qualify?

If so, what do we think of Christine, Nicola, Cox and McConnel?

Any updates on Emily Freeman?
damienc

Postby jjimbojames » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:24 pm

damienc wrote:Apologies if this is an obvious or has already been answered but, with Christine being Olympic champion, do we get to put four women in the 400m if all qualify?

If so, what do we think of Christine, Nicola, Cox and McConnel?

Any updates on Emily Freeman?

That rule is only for World Champs

Had completely forgotten about Emily - it's all gone very quiet on that front, hasn't it?
jjimbojames

Postby trevorp » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:04 pm

No update on Em's website or Twitter for a few months, but that could be a positive: I'd prefer her to be training well and resting and looking after herself rather than BookTwitFaceing. Fingers crossedfor her.
trevorp

Postby Geoff » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 pm

OLYMPICS
Great Britain 800m star Jenny Meadows believes the Achilles injury that has prevented her running this year could help her chances of winning an Olympic medal in London this summer. The 31-year-old is not yet sure when she will be able to return to action, but hopes to be running again in the next few weeks. "I think it's 110 days today until I have to step on the track in Stratford so that's bags of time," she says.
Geoff

Previous

Return to Current events