Athletics Weekly

The best way to race cross country?

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

The best way to race cross country?

Postby Eddie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:49 pm

How do you think athletes should race in cross country races?

As a coach, I recommend to athletes I coach that they break the race down into three phases:

First phase - approximately 20% of race distance. Go off hard and get your best position (according to your ability). This is at a pace you could not maintain for the whole race.

Second phase - approximately 60% of race distance. Settle into a good, hard, pace, which you feel you can maintain. You should be racing within a group of athletes, with the occasional athlete who went off too fast dropping back, and the occasional athlete who went off too slow running through.

Third phase - approximately last 20% of race distance. Dig deep and try to increase pace. Start this phase from a point you feel able to race harder from. Choose the point before the race begins. Try to "pick off" runners ahead of you.

That's my suggestion.....
Eddie

Re: The best way to race cross country?

Postby glasgowdan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:29 am

You can only respond to the race as it develops, whilst the method you are talking about may work for time trials I am not sure it would have helped me when I was racing. The first mile of the race is vital, you ascertain the whole race in this 5 mins of running.
glasgowdan

Return to Current events