Athletics Weekly

daily mail and ugh

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

daily mail and ugh

Postby boysen » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:32 pm

When you have nothing of sense to write then throw out insults, barbs, phlegm, and poo. It encourages comment and argument and ,witness recent hearings, is an endeavour to sell more papers. We find ourselves , me included, tempted to keep the ball in the air...more fools us.
boysen

Re: daily mail and ugh

Postby SteveK26 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:39 am

Not sure what this post is about. Have the Daily Mail been up to their ''Sun-like'' reporting of late?
What particular balls are we, on this forum, keeping in the air?
SteveK26

Postby flemaldinhio » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:42 pm

Could it be about recent comment by their 'journalist' Liz Jones who basically attacked the way female athletes looked?

If it is then ignore her, she's not worth getting annoyed or angry about
flemaldinhio

Postby trickstat » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:29 am

Yes I read that article online yesterday (not a paper I'd ever want to pay for!). In my view it failed on every single level, being neither accurate, perceptive, original or amusing in any way.
trickstat

Postby SteveK26 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:50 am

Perhaps Boysen would like to enlighten us all!

It seems odd to start a thread without a clear meaning/purpose.
SteveK26

Postby d pickup » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:57 pm

Just hearing 'Daily Mail' makes me mostly think 'polluting dirty gutter to be avoided'
d pickup

Postby boysen » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:52 pm

It appears that the DM wrote of the appearance of Fatima in a derogatory way etc. Was less than kind about GB sporting girls.Can now glory in our pull out of Europe I suppose?
boysen

Postby sidelined » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:51 pm

SteveK26 wrote:Perhaps Boysen would like to enlighten us all!

It seems odd to start a thread without a clear meaning/purpose.

Steve, I posted a link to the article on the SPOTY thread. You will probably want to fumigate your computer after you've read it. Since I don't usually go anywhere near the Daily Mail I was astounded by the sheer level of hate and venom. I'm told this is standard, whatever the subject. The aim seems to be to try and make women hate each other, and themselves, and their bodies. And Sport England have just said that they're disappointed with the level of participation in sport of girls and women, so I suppose the Mail will be pleased. But what is really worrying is that the Daily Mail is apparently the most popular newspaper website in Britain. The world is mad (apart, of course, from you and me).
sidelined

Postby SteveK26 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:11 pm

Sidelined
Thanks, I'll grit my teeth and read the post( on the Spoty thread) in a minute.
Unfortunately there are times when I think I'm completely 'barking' as well. (but never full of vitriol and hate, thankfully).
:)
SteveK26

Postby SteveK26 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:59 am

That was really a silly article by the Mail reporter. I would suspect she was once someone who hated all forms of sport at school, and poked fun at those who excelled. Judging by her comical reference to ''pervy'' school gym mistresses, I suspect she didn't get on too well with her one!!
I am surprised that even the Mail deemed the article fit for purpose. But there we are...they always aim to shock!!
SteveK26

Return to Current events