Athletics Weekly

First athletes confirmed for Olympics

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

First athletes confirmed for Olympics

Postby Guto Nyth Bran » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:23 am

"The British Olympic Association (BOA) announced today the selection of Scott Overall, Paula Radcliffe and Mara Yamauchi to compete for Team GB in the marathon event at the London 2012 Olympic Games."
Guto Nyth Bran

Re: First athletes confirmed for Olympics

Postby sidelined » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:42 pm

Why not Jo Pavey too?
sidelined

Postby Exile » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:20 pm

sidelined wrote:Why not Jo Pavey too?

I've no idea, but it's probably because while her first two runs over the marathon have been solid, they've not been so spectacular that it's beyond possible that another woman could run faster between now and final selection. I don't often agree with the selectors, but would be foolish not to leave at least one place open in case of a stellar breakthrough from one of the other women.

As an aside, the selection policy apparently requires all pre-selections to have a realistic chance of a top 8 finish. Whether that is true of Radcliffe and Yamauchi I'm not sure, but IMHO I can't say that Jo's first two marathons make it look that likely for her, purely on those times (although her pedigree at other events might tell a different story).
Exile

Postby boysen » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:48 pm

Do we really believe that selections depend upon a "reasonable" chance of a "top 8" finish? I would like to think so but , for example, by how much does Scott Overall have to improve to meet that criteria?
boysen

Postby nevetssllim » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm

boysen wrote:Do we really believe that selections depend upon a "reasonable" chance of a "top 8" finish? I would like to think so but , for example, by how much does Scott Overall have to improve to meet that criteria?

Probably not that much. The depth isn't all that behind the Kenyans and the Ethiopians don't always deliver at major champs either. Ruggero Pertile (PB just inside 2:10) randomly finished eighth at the World Champs and an athlete with a 2:13 PB finished eleventh at the Olympic Games so it's not beyond the realms of impossibility but it probably would say just as much about the depth, or lack of depth, behind the Kenyans.
nevetssllim

Postby chaz_78 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:31 pm

I think Jo should have gone for an autumn marathon on a faster course instead of New York. She said she wanted to improve her P.B to see what she was really capable of, yet chose a notoriously slow course to run on. I think she needed to drop a couple of minutes off that time to guarantee selection. She's had 2 solid runs but nothing to indicate she can really challenge at the Marathon so far and I'm not sure that the further the distance the better she gets.

She might be forced to run London again or leave it to chance that Claire Hallisey or Liz Yelling don't run faster than her, though I think they would have to run 2.26 or so to nudge Jo out of the team.

On the positive side, of all the contenders for that last spot Jo has by far the best credentials, she's been an unsung member of the team for years and should things not work out then surely she's also got the best chance of getting the qualifying time for the 10k
chaz_78

Postby mump boy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:11 am

chaz_78 wrote:I think Jo should have gone for an autumn marathon on a faster course instead of New York. She said she wanted to improve her P.B to see what she was really capable of, yet chose a notoriously slow course to run on. I think she needed to drop a couple of minutes off that time to guarantee selection. She's had 2 solid runs but nothing to indicate she can really challenge at the Marathon so far and I'm not sure that the further the distance the better she gets.

She might be forced to run London again or leave it to chance that Claire Hallisey or Liz Yelling don't run faster than her, though I think they would have to run 2.26 or so to nudge Jo out of the team.

On the positive side, of all the contenders for that last spot Jo has by far the best credentials, she's been an unsung member of the team for years and should things not work out then surely she's also got the best chance of getting the qualifying time for the 10k

My thoughts exactly

NY made no sense :?
mump boy

Postby SteveK26 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:36 am

If she stays healthy I think Jo is a strong probable for the last place, but I do think it was wise to keep one place open. (otherwise where would the incentive be to all the other girls to really go for a fast time somewhere?) And as has been said elsewhere, someone may just be lurking out there who could make a significant breakthrough.

Bearing in mind the Kenyans and Ethiopians will be limited in their entries...lets face it otherwise they would have half the runners in the field....then it is distinctly possible for someone like Overall to make top 8 on his home turf.
SteveK26

Return to Current events