Athletics Weekly

The rise of Mohammed Aman

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

The rise of Mohammed Aman

Postby LiamRiley » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:41 pm

The IAAF's Ethiopian correspondent Elshadai Negash has written a portrait of Ethiopia's new 800m star Mohammed Aman. It's well worth having a read.

http://www.iaaf.org/news/newsid=63091.html

The 17-year-old completed a prodigious rise in 2011 with an unexpected win over the imperious David Rudisha in Milan. If anything, burn-out could turn out to be a greater threat to Aman than any track rival - he travelled extensively last year (running on four continents) in a season that stretched from May to September.

Interestingly, Aman mentions that diet was a bit of a hurdle as he struggled to get the right balance of nutrition for a middle-distance runner. Perhaps Ethiopian athletes could benefit from looking at the differences between their national cuisine and that of Kenya - which is more inclusive of rich starchy foods such as cassava, yam, and sweet potato (although enset - or false banana - seems to be a staple in some areas of Ethiopia).

For next year, Aman is looking to run at the three main championships open to him - World Indoors, African Outdoors, and the Olympics. The men's 800m is sure to excite in London!
LiamRiley

Re: The rise of Mohammed Aman

Postby d pickup » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:51 am

LiamRiley

I'm glad you've featured the IAAF article and your comments are interesting. What interested me was the picture: that Aman's landed foot does not point to the front while Rudisha's does ... the different colors of the 2 athlete's legs, and Rudisha's face. Rudisha is a fine looking young man but oh the incredible grimness here in this picture; Wow; I don't think he likes losing.

Contrast this pic with the one of him in
www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/athl ... b-Coe.html

As you say LDN OLY '12 will be interesting. Will good Kenyan food be on offer in the Athlete's village?
d pickup

Return to Current events