Athletics Weekly

Is it time to scrap the SEAA Champs?

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Is it time to scrap the SEAA Champs?

Postby hank » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:03 pm

Would be interesting to get AW forum's views

25th November 2011

Dear Colleague,

I write to you as Chairman of the South of England Athletic Association with a most urgent message.

We have been instructed by UK Athletics and England Athletics that our annual Senior Track & Field Championships be staged within the England Championships in conjunction with the Midland Counties and North of England areas.

The SEAA believes that there is a need for a stand-alone SEAA Senior Championship as an integral part of an athlete’s progression from Club, to County, to Area, to National level – a clear pathway.

Also this instruction would undoubtedly have far reaching ramifications for our finances and our continued mode of operation in staging competition for the South as we know it.

South of England Championships have a tradition spanning decades, we consider this too valuable to surrender.

Should this occur, how will this affect Southern athletes?

a) The Championships may be staged over 3 days.
b) For many of our Southern based athletes, travelling distances would be far greater.
c) Due to the number of athletes involved there will inevitably have to be entry standards.
d) There may not be an athlete from every Area in a final.
This only refers to the Senior Championships; all other SEAA Age Group Championships will continue as at present.

The Board of the SEAA is anxious to know the feelings and opinions of the very people such a decision would affect. To this end we ask that you indicate your preference as to the following choices:

A A separate SEAA Senior Track & Field Championships

B A combined England and 3 Areas Senior Track & Field Championships

Please complete the enclosed slip and return to SEAA Limited, Crystal Palace National Sports Centre, Ledrington Road, London SE19 2BB or email to seaacompetition@gmail.com by
Monday 12th December 2011.

Yours sincerely,

JOHN GEBBELS
Chairman
hank

Re: Is it time to scrap the SEAA Champs?

Postby javman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:24 am

Why have UKA proposed to scrap the area championships?
javman

Postby Eddie » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:21 am

I am definitely in favour of keeping the regional championships. It is both a good stepping stone to the AAAs and a good competition in its own right.

Eddie
Eddie

Postby Geoff » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:29 am

I too would like to know all the reasons for this change. Is it a one off because of the Olympics? Is it because of the recently introduced England Championships and a way of trying to bolster this event earlier in the season?

For quite a few years now Wales, North of England and Midland Counties have held most of their combined events championships in conjunction with the England Championships due, I believe, to diminishing numbers of athletes, cost of hiring facilities and possibly officials availabilty. Not everyone feels confident or good enough to enter an England Championships so many athletes don't.

Is there a move towards county championships becoming regional events? Will the inter-counties continue in its present format?

I understand there needs to be some changes and rationalisation of our competition structure but I'm unclear on the rationale and what the longer term aims are.

Perhaps it's because the sport is losing track & field athletes in the droves at senior level that makes some events hardly worth putting on?
Geoff

Postby readtherules » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Geoff wrote:I too would like to know all the reasons for this change. Is it a one off because of the Olympics? Is it because of the recently introduced England Championships and a way of trying to bolster this event earlier in the season?

For quite a few years now Wales, North of England and Midland Counties have held most of their combined events championships in conjunction with the England Championships due, I believe, to diminishing numbers of athletes, cost of hiring facilities and possibly officials availabilty. Not everyone feels confident or good enough to enter an England Championships so many athletes don't.

Is there a move towards county championships becoming regional events? Will the inter-counties continue in its present format?

I understand there needs to be some changes and rationalisation of our competition structure but I'm unclear on the rationale and what the longer term aims are.

Perhaps it's because the sport is losing track & field athletes in the droves at senior level that makes some events hardly worth putting on?

Indicative of the huge deline in the sport.(However UKA say the numbers are going through the roof)
But my main thought is that when the old regions were killed off autonomy of some sort was promised to the new bodies yet we see they are being "instructed" to stop individual region champs.Two years later and we wont even have any regional champs.

All may be reasonable but lets admit what is happening.Decline and centralised UKA/UKS/Sport England control.
readtherules

Postby boysen » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:49 pm

county champs, in many cases are a joke, many events contested by a couple of people..if at all .. some events combined with another county.....how long before the areas amalgamate...back then to a national champs?
boysen

Postby javman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:27 pm

So back to my question from earlier, why the proposed change. I have had a quick peruse of the t'internet and couldn't find anything.

So anyone know why? Geoff's post certainly resonates though.
javman

Postby hank » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:52 pm

I know that it was also proposed by UKA at the fixture conference that national leagues be scheduled on county champs weekend.

The competition structure is a mess and needs looking at, so I am reluctant to jump to conclusions before knowing the details and rational behind this. There does not seem to be any transparency here though.

Don't athletes want to win their county and win a representative vest? Does not being southern champ mean anything to athletes? It did motivate me, and it was always competitive in an unglamorous event. It was only a few years ago, what has happened?

Does anyone have any further info?
hank

Postby trickstat » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:27 pm

For a couple of years the SEAA Senior Champs clashed with the BMC Grand Prix and, perhaps not surprisingly, the middle-distance fields at the Champs were weak. This year, they were on different weekends, but, with all due respect to those who did run, the middle-distance fields were still poor.

Nevertheless, I still 100% think that the regional champs should remain in existence.
trickstat

Postby hank » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:18 pm

If I was SEAA I would schedule the championships during August (during the games). I can't see why athletes wont be looking for races next summer, especially those that just miss out on selection.
hank

Postby kingmaker » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:38 am

I dont know why the SEAA are complaining now, as the move towards having a combined Championships was common knowledge to most 6 months ago.

Saying that it probably is a way of bolstering a poorly attended national championships but the choice of venue could also be a major factor in that one.
kingmaker

Postby usedtoit33 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:55 am

Maybe we should cut the county level and just hold a regional championship before the national?
usedtoit33

Postby trickstat » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:25 pm

usedtoit33 wrote:Maybe we should cut the county level and just hold a regional championship before the national?

TBH County Champs are still fairly healthy for the younger age-groups. I see no reason to stop including the seniors as well, if many athletes choose to give them a miss then that's their prorogative.
trickstat

Postby usedtoit33 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:23 am

trickstat wrote:
usedtoit33 wrote:Maybe we should cut the county level and just hold a regional championship before the national?

TBH County Champs are still fairly healthy for the younger age-groups. I see no reason to stop including the seniors as well, if many athletes choose to give them a miss then that's their prorogative.

It was only an idea. If they're well attended and fun for the juniors then they should definitely be kept.

I haven't been to a county match for ages. It's a bit disappointing the seniors aren't attending in numbers though.
usedtoit33

Return to Current events