Athletics Weekly

UK middle distance (women).

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

UK middle distance (women).

Postby PJS » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Hello All

My first post, so apologies, in advance, for any indiscretions...

I am really excited about the forthcoming Olympic year and hope you don't think it too soon to think who might represent Team GB ...but with the good news that Steph Twell is back competing, may I begin with, my hope, that we fill each alloted place from 800 m to 10 000 m and prove to be, at the very least with the women, competitive.

So to provoke some thought and discussion on these long, dark nights.

800m
Jenny Meadows
Marilyn Okoro
Lynsey Sharpe - qualifying is never going to be predicatable (injuries, illness, form et al). However, I feel Lynsey's rate of progress will see her get one of the automatic places at the trials. Leaving selectors to disappoint someone, but...

Hannah England
Lisa Dobriskey
Jemma Simpson

Here I have accounted for Jemma failing to make the 800 because she hedges her bets and runs both distances.

I would ask two questions at this point. 1) Is it possible to have a pace maker alloted to the 1500 trial final to make it a true run race? 2) and, I am serious, doesn't a free flowing poney-tail hairstyle interfere with the runner... I am sure having your hair continually flick in your face can not be beneficial; plus aerodynamics ;)

Gets tougher now...
Steph Twell... is she better off focusing on this distance to at least make the Olypmics after her horrific injury... we are weaker at this event, so her chances to gain selection are increased, in my view, and she ran the UK's 4th fastest all time in 2010
Helen Clitheroe - I have great admiration for her and thoroughly deserves the opporutity to run at 2012(carry the flag anyone?). Would it not be better, however, to make the choice to do this event rather than say the 10000m.

The qualifying time of 15:15 has been out of the range for all bar Clitheroe, up to now, in 2011, could anyone else achieve this in 2012 ... I had hoped it was going to be someone like Emily Pidgeon. I have also been very impressed with Gemma Steel (see later) but I really want us to take a third runner, but I dont see who it can be...ideas?

Silly idea: but rather than all this cross country wouldn't it have made sense to have arranged some 5000m track events for, essentially the same pool of women, to try and achieve the Qualifying time now ... My logic here is to avoid, the almost inevitable, last minute dash around Europe trying to get the QT before the deadline - not the best prep' for distance runner

I am very nervous about injuries to the long distance runners. Each time they run a cross country this winter I am anxious. Plus, the qualifying time of 31:45 is not going to be easy, but what do people think?
Gemma Steele
Charlotte Purdue
Can they achieve this?
Will one of the marathon runners (Liz Yelling, Louise Damen) who are unlikely to be selected for that distance make a concerted effort to be selected at 10000m instead?

OK... I hope in the spirit of this being my first post on this forum you will give me your ideas and any other feedback.

Cheers
PJS

Re: UK middle distance (women).

Postby SteveK26 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:52 am

PJS
Welcome....always good to get fresh opinions.

I'll not comment on all the distances from 800 upwards, at this stage , but will say that the 1500 is in an interesting place just now.
Who is the no.1 ? Lisa D was at the start of the last season undoubtedly top dog, but it is probably fair to say that Hannah has replaced her at the top. Steph Twell will, I think, remain in the 1500 (rather than moving up to the 5000), and if she is fully recovered she could challenge both Lisa and Hannah. And Jemma might well challenge the status quo, along with one or two others.
So it is an exciting year ahead, and here's hoping they all st ay injury free and have an experience of a lifetime in a home Olympics. To have two world silver medalists and a world junior champion on the team would make great reading.
(Not sure Lisa's pony tail would slow her down).
SteveK26

Postby paul » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:28 am

Welcome PJS. Interesting thread.

In my view we are the strongest nation on earth over the women's middle distances.
And for 2012 this aspect of the challenge can be relevant for successful selection.
What do I mean by that?
The winners of our trials in at least two of these events won't just be going to the Olympics,
they'll be expected to win something. And by the time we reach high summer, they'll probably
be expected to win gold. (However unfair that expectation might be.)
So, that's gold in the biggest sporting event in history.
An unimaginable amount of pressure.

I can imagine at least 3 of our ladies in both the 800 and the 1500 having the legs to get to the
crown of the final bend in contention in the Olympic final (if fit, of course).
To cover those last few yards will require something more. Something in the head and the heart.
Who's got it?
paul

Postby PJS » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:59 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome...

Is there not a strong case, indeed a compelling one, being a home Olympics, that Team GB aim to fill each slot available...

Hence my thinking that one or two very capable ladies are going to miss out on selction for the 1500m, as it's so competitive, and yet, equally, there is a more than possible scenario where we might not have any representation in the 5000m. Given these two possibilities - someone might take the view its better to be at the Olympics, for a once in a life time opportunity, just not at their preferred event.

Amongst those Steph Twell seems the most capable of making this decision, given her talent, viewing it as a temporary but pragmatic move ...
PJS

Postby sidelined » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:32 pm

Steph Twell has always said that she wants to run the 1500 in London, and the 5000 in 2016 - I don't think she'll change her mind. She's got plenty of courage and self-belief. I'd back her to get there if she stays healthy. But with Charlene Thomas, who is convinced she can knock a few seconds off her PB, Laura Weightman, who lost most of the season to injury but came back with a PB at the end of it, and Stacey Smith, who improved dramatically in 2011, as well as the two silver-winning stars, that trial race should be incredible. But will they all make the start line? I'm hoping that Hannah England will start to run races as if she's expecting to win them.

With the 5000, Helen Clitheroe has got the qualifying mark already.
sidelined

Postby mump boy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:53 pm

A fit Charlene Thomas has the beating if everyone else, she it the most tactically aware and has the best finish. Steph is the only other one who runs to her strengths but her finish could/will let her down in a slowish trials race, i would be very surprised if she didn't go for the 5k as well. I doubt there will be 3 with QT so if she gets it early she can concentrate on 1500 at trials confident that she'll already be on the team

I think the idea of holding paced races early in the season is a very good one especially 5/10k

I'm scared about the 800 as someone i really like will be staying at home :( (at least in their prefered event 4x4/1500 might come to rescue in some cases)

Some of the lesser 1500 girls HAVE to consider the 5k if they have any sense at all
mump boy

Postby clutch30green » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:02 pm

I just going to go with:

800m - Meadows, Okoro, Jackson (Although I do think Lynsey Sharpe and Jemma Simpson will be in the running)

1500m - Dobriskey, England, Weightman (Although again another competitive one - Twell is likely to be in the mix with Thomas and Smith)

5000m - Twell, Clitheroe (As I think although Twell will aim for 1500m may also go for a qualifying time over 5000m to hedge her bets).

10,000m - Purdue, Steel, possibly Kate Read if she can make a successful come back.

I do agree that some Marathon runners may well go for the 10,000m too and may put the cat amongst the pidgeons and Freya Murray could put herself into contention at both 5000m and 10,000m.

I also wouldn't be at all surprised if some younger newer names emerge over 800m and 1500m in 2012 and could put themselves in with a chance, just as Stacey Smith, James Shane, Jessica Judd, Laura Weightman, Lynsey Sharpe etc all did in 2011 - I think it's quite exciting!!!!
clutch30green

Postby sidelined » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:38 am

The Olympic A standard is 15.15.00. Here are some PBs for 5000m:

Stephanie Twell 14.54.08
Helen Clitheroe 15.06.75
Charlotte Purdue 15.23.4
Freya Murray 15.26.5
Emily Pidgeon 15.32.27

So I can see that it would be wise for Steph Twell to bag herself the standard. Charlotte Purdue has said that she's aiming for the 10,000 primarily. It'll be interesting to see if Freya Murray and Emily Pidgeon can get anywhere near 15.15. They both missed the whole of the track season.

What worries me is Lisa's back, Charlene's foot, Steph's ankle, Chrlotte's knee, Maz's knee - I've forgotten what Gemma and Hannah's problems were early in the season... the list goes on...
sidelined

Postby PJS » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:01 pm

and so it begins... :)

Given that Paula Radcliffe and Mara Yamauchi have now been selected to compete for Team GB - and praying neither has injury nor illness...

What does this mean for the 10 000m for Women.

Does Jo Pavey take a pragmatic view - as i am advocating Steph Twell make - and view London 2012 as a very special never-to-be-repated opportunity and hedge her bets and consider trying to achieve the QT for 10 000m ...

What I am arguing is that to participate is reward in itself for one or two particular atheletes - if they dont put themselves forward it is unlikely that we will get the full complement of 3 athletes per event. I am thinking specifically the 5000 and 10000 - and may well find themselves left out (for what ever reason) in their preferred event.

what do people think...
PJS

Postby PJS » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:27 pm

"Jess Coulson (Coach: Mick Woods) ran her fastest ever 10km time in winning the weekend's premier road race in 33:18." (UK Athletics - weekend round up)

I was never an endurance athlete but could others please explain whether such form in 10k can be extrapolated to 10 000m on the track.

Has this put Ms. Coulson in the picture for one of the Olympic's 10000m berths?

From other cross country results over the past two weekends I remain convinced that Steph Twell is best served to target the 5000m for London 2012 (for a variety of reasons I have already mentioned.) Gemma Steel has further enhanced her position as another leading candidate for the 5000m and I am pleased to see Emily Pidgeon finish well. (Although as stated previously, I think Helen Clitheroe is my likely other runner for 5000m)

But please explain, someone, with the Olympic qualifying times so crucial, and with so much talent currently in UK ladies endurance, would it not be prudent to have had a winter series of 5000m "paced" track events (with a view to achieving the QT), to avoid the inevitable last minute rush to get the QT?
PJS

Postby boysen » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:05 pm

Paced races are viewed as unpalatable for qualifying if not illegal...depending which country they are held in.But there are ways of circumventing the accusation. Other than that winter training , for many, is not centered on track performance and would require a re-think. However I recall the NUTS having "winter track" meets but probably in early April?
boysen

Postby PJS » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:02 pm

thanks for the speedy response boysen.

I suppose I use the term "paced" to mean a very competitive race where it is understood, by all the participants, it is not about where you are placed, but the time achieved, as opposed to the very cagey races, often played out in the Trials, where everyone is more concerned about coming in the first two places and the race descends into who has the best kick in the closing part of the race.

Maybe it is too late now... but I feel that such a "re-think", as you say, for a once-in-a-generation home Olympics, may have been warranted...

I just envisage a mad, last minute, dash across Europe to achieve QTs in events (5000/10000) that would be very unhelpful to the individual's build up and Team GB not filling the slots available and very capable runners being left behind (having come in the first two at the trials...)
PJS

Postby djlovesyou » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:20 pm

boysen wrote:Paced races are viewed as unpalatable for qualifying if not illegal...

Does that mean that qualifying times from Diamond League races, etc, should be seen as illegal or unpalatable, or is it only when it's domestic races?

If the pacers are male in a female race, these are generally not allowed, but as long as it's women acting as pacemakers, surely it isn't an issue.
djlovesyou

Postby boysen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:46 am

I think, on reflection, you are probably correct but some NGB,s may be soured by any qualification obtained in such a fashion but of course, as you indicate, most GP races are "paced" and somebody placed down the field , in a qual.time, would probably get through. And, I suppose, if one of ours ran 1:44 in second place we would be over the moon and dreaming of a possible medal..daring the NGB nor to pick him.I am tempted to think, in order to "fill out" the home team ,any qual. mark would be accepted but the NGB may insist on two in the season..
boysen

Postby rembradt » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:48 am

In this litigious world we live in and knowing that all athletes will naturally fight their corners when it comes to nomination by UKA next year, I would have thought that the word "paced" is a minefield word and no reference could I find from either UKA selection Rules or IAAF rules specifically barring "pacing" to qual for the OG. Did I miss something somewhere?
What does the word mean anyway? How blatant must it be to be regarded as paced and by definition a great number of all competitions everywhere, in middle or longer distances, some athlete takes on the pacing to the benefit of other athletes, for some or most of a race, even if only to stop a slow procession.
Ignoring the large number of athletes who will use paced DL races and other high profile races which will be used by athletes the world over to justify to their own NOCs having achieved the qualifying standards, I know of no specific exclusion to achieving the former within the IAAF Rules.

I would not be vastly surprised that, during next years British Trials, some athlete who comes second in his or her event, only has a B standard and cannot therefore be nominated for the GB team, so has to chase an A standard and use for say a 800/1500/3k Steeple race a blatantly paced race. If such athlete achieves an A after the Trials will the UKA Selectors ignore it, if some athlete paces that person to an appropriate qual standard. I think not.
rembradt

Postby PJS » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:47 pm

OK...lets assume a highly "competitive" domestic race,early in the season, would be in the best interests of a number of ladies aiming for the QT in, for example, the 5000m.

How difficult would it be to take an already existing meet, promote the specific event (5000) amongst all the leading contenders and encourage them to take part with the single aim to get as many as possible under the QT - by ensuring it is a true run race, in the sense they set off at a good pace, and that it is understood amongst them all, that certain, realistic, lap times are achieved to get under the QT.

Athletics is not often about the "team" but recent Cross country events demonstrate what out ladies can achieve when "packing" and surely this model could be used in a domestic track event.

Indeed, are any domestic event organisers willing to take up the challenge!!!
PJS

Postby Exile » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:31 pm

I'm a bit bafled by this discusion about pacing. The BMC grand prix series has pacemakers for all races and performances are frequently used as qualifiers. As has been pointed out, most Diamond League and other international meetings use pace makers and, again, athletes are able to use such races to acchieve qualifying times. There is no such rule about paced events and qualification.
Exile

Postby mump boy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:49 am

i was thinking exactly the same thing :?
mump boy

Postby PJS » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:39 pm

"Stephanie Twell (coach: Mick Woods) ,,, has confirmed that her focus for 2012 remains the Olympic Games 1500m, but she admitted that she wouldn’t rule out the possibility of competing in the 5000m." UK ATHLETICS 6/1/2012

I do hope she runs an Olympic QT for the 5000 early in the season (as an insurance) as I anticipate the women's 1500 being one of the most competitive events to get selected (but the 5000 less so.)
PJS

Postby SteveK26 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:57 pm

PJS
Stephanie will have to do exactly as you suggest, if the 5000 is to be a realistic back up to her Olympic aspirations.
She certainly wouldn't want to be scurrying around looking for 5000 races at the last minute to get a QT, (if she bombed out in her preferred event at the trials).
Get one in early, and the pressure is off....which might help her 1500 running as well.
SteveK26

Postby PJS » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:31 pm

Gemma Steele's form looked positive in the Edinburgh cross country today. Can someone with more expertise suggest how this might translate to form in the 5K as I am really hoping she gets Olympic selection.

By the way, I know readers might think this trite, but I noticed Ms. Steele had her hair in more of a tied-up state than the free flowing poneytail look. In my view its what the British Cycling performance director might call "the aggregate of the marginal gains", I mentioned before it cant be helping performance having the poneytail flicking across your cheeks through the race. (Up there with not running in lane 2 throughout the race.)

Talking of which... there has been news of both Ms. Dobriskey and Ms. England in the past week - I will note with interest if they take my advice and go for a more restrained poneytail. What my great-gran called, a "bun".

I'll get my coat...
PJS

Postby rembradt » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:02 pm

The number one country in womens middle distances refer to the 800 and 1500 metres; the USA are the number one country at the moment and not the UK.

Montano,Uceny,Vessey and Schmidt are all below 1.59, from 1.57.84 to 1.58.61, and their top level meet results are superior to ours, where we have Jenny M who did not sadly make the final at the WC. In the 1500 metres Uceny, Jenny Simpson, World Champion,Wurth-Thomas and Shannon Rowbury as a group are superior to the GB group led by England and Dobriskey, who was not at her best due to injury. The International Rankings by AW this year confirm that the USA are now ahead of us in the middle distances.
rembradt

Postby djlovesyou » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:32 pm

PJS wrote:
By the way, I know readers might think this trite, but I noticed Ms. Steele had her hair in more of a tied-up state than the free flowing poneytail look. In my view its what the British Cycling performance director might call "the aggregate of the marginal gains", I mentioned before it cant be helping performance having the poneytail flicking across your cheeks through the race. (Up there with not running in lane 2 throughout the race.)

People often go on about ponytails and hair and how it's detrimental to performance. As far as I'm aware, it makes zero difference. Some people might not like it (perhaps Gemma Steel) and decide to tie it up.

That's speaking as someone who occasionally has a slightly 'unruly' hairstyle, I often found the feeling of my hair bouncing around quite comforting, particularly when it's raining. The only time it was ever a problem was when the wind was behind and it blew in my face.

It's certainly nothing like running in lane 2 in a race, where there is an obvious difference in distance travelled.
djlovesyou

Postby Pete S » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:27 pm

PJS - DJ has dealt with the hair "issue" that you raised - basically these kids aren't moving fast enough for it to be an issue.

On the subject of "form" though, what exactly do you mean?

Do you mean that she "looked good" while she was running?

It's all about the stopwatch at the end of the day/race.
A lot of people will try and tell you differently but nobody who has regularly produced World Record holders will disagree.
In recent years I remember watching a Chinese(?) distance runner in, I think, the 10,000m, who looked absolutely awful - arms all over the place etc - but she just ran past everybody to win, against World-Class opposition. Very impressive - and it should have given the lie to all this talk of "form" in m/d racing.

Of course we all run slightly differently and any massive inefficiencies do need to be addressed, but the overriding concern for m/d racing has to be physiological preparation i.e. Making sure the relevant energy systems are optimised. Combine that with a high level of practical nous (race/pace judgement) and you've got a good base to build upon.
Pete S

Postby PJS » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:56 pm

its gone quite quiet on the message board ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic ... 627318.stm

Charlotte Purdue setting out her objective for the Olympic year.

I really wish her well - I think aiming to qualify for Team GB at 10 000 is very possible for her... Who else might aim for this - especially now that 2 of the 3 marathon places are taken up...
PJS

Postby sidelined » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:44 pm

PJS wrote:its gone quite quiet on the message board ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic ... 627318.stm

Charlotte Purdue setting out her objective for the Olympic year.

I really wish her well - I think aiming to qualify for Team GB at 10 000 is very possible for her... Who else might aim for this - especially now that 2 of the 3 marathon places are taken up...

Charlotte Purdue always comes across so well in interviews: she's perpetually smiling, despite all the setbacks. I suppose the other obvious candidate is Gemma Steel. Whoever doesn't get the third marathon slot may consider the 10,000: Jo Pavey or Louise Damen, maybe Freya Murray who is making her marathon debut in London. But it would be hard to run London and then get back into shape and find a decent 10,000 to get the time...
sidelined

Postby PJS » Fri May 04, 2012 10:23 am

Apologies for bumping this thread forward; but what a difference 6 months makes (I started this thread in November 2011).

10 000m
I owe Julia Bleasdale an apology too - as I never expected that time! Very welcome QT for her at 10000m and now in the riding seat for the the team for London 2012? Who else is going to surprise.

I really hope that Jo Pavey finds a slot (for purely sentimental reasons) ...which makes it very competitive for the 3rd team member. My personal favourite is Gemma Steel.

5 000m
Very glad that Steph Twell took my advice and got an early QT for the 5000m. I think it is very sensible to have this insurance as the 1500 is going to be very, very competitive. Not that I doubt her talent at this distance but with the first two past the post, and the, almost inevitable, tactic of one of the leading contenders not competing at the event at the trials, it is going to be very messy (tears and tantrums I suspect.)

800m
Well, with Ms. Meadow's injury I suspect a scenario where she might not run the trials but prove fitness in another race therefore claiming the selectors discretionary slot - which will only serve to make the trial race ever so more taut. I still see Lynsey Sharp as one to watch but have absolutely no information on her current form and fitness to base that view.

3000SC
Great 5000m by Barabra Parker - anyone wiser than me suggest how this might reflect in her steeplechase (a faster time I hope)... and see article about her aspiration to double up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/17940599

Comments welcome
PJS

Postby PJS » Sun May 20, 2012 5:55 pm

What's really curious about the fact we currently have three women with the A standard for 5000m ...is that, I think I am correct in saying, is that for none of them (Ms Parker, Twell & Pavey) is 5000m their main event...

Not sifted through all the women's events - but cant be many where we already have 3 A standards ...

This season is really starting to unfold...
PJS

Postby paulouk83 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:47 pm

The potential battles to get in the teams for women is great

800m
current with A
(A 1:59.90) Jenny Meadows 1:58.60, Emma Jackson 1:59.37 (C), Marilyn Okoro 1:59.53, Jemma Simpson 1:59.59

Others who may be in with a chance
Lynsey Sharp, Hannah England

Jenny is injured but will hope to be back one of the main four now that Emma Jackson is in the picture will miss out. Emma is the only one with the A this year!

My predictions: Jenny Meadows, Emma Jackson, Marilyn Okoro

1500m
(A 4:06.00) Hannah England 4:01.89, Lisa Dobriskey 4:04.76
(B 4:08.90)

Others who may be in with a chance
Stephanie Twell, Jemma Simpson, Charlene Thomas, Stacey Smith

Hannah and Lisa if fit are likely to be selected Jemma Simpson will almost certanily have both options as the 800 is tough as well, Twell has the 5000 already and is returning

My predictions: Hannah England, Lisa Dobriskey, Stephanie Twell

5000m
(A 15:20.00) Helen Clitheroe 15:06.75, Jo Pavey (W35) 15:14.19 (C), Barbara Parker 15:14.26 (C), Steph Twell 15:15.24 (C)
(B 15:30.00) Julia Bleasdale 15:25.62 (C)

This is getting exciting because Charlotte Purdue, Gemma Steel, Freya Murray may all have outside chances of running 15:20 as well.

My predictions Helen Clitheroe, Jo Pavey, Steph Twell

10000m

(A 31:45.00) Julia Bleasdale 31:29.57 (C)
(B 32:10.00) Charlotte Purdue (U23) 32:03.55 (C)

I really hope Charlotte gets the A in 2 weeks time, Jo Pavey should at some point, not sure what Helens plans are...
Freya Murray, Gemma Steel, Sonia Samuels all look good options earlier in the season

My predictions, Julia Bleasdale, Jo Pavey, Charlotte Purdue

Freya Murray's great London Marathon made me think she has chances but shes never run that great a time on track.
paulouk83

Postby boysen » Sun May 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Fascinating as the selectors/fans view the problem we must not forget that whilst getting to the start line is an honour in itself the bigger(?) problem "succeeding". That comes in a couple of levels a) making the final b) achieving a PB and c) medalling. I would love to see any of our girl reps medal in the middle distance events but a glance at the ranking lists, even by mid May, suggests otherwise. I believe 1.56 ability is required for the 800 and 3.59 for the 1500. Yes GB girls have been around the 1500 standard but have yet to show it this year. But of course so has much of the rest of the globe. I suspect there will be an almighty rush down to 1/56 and 4 minutes within the next few weeks. I hope that GB names will be amongst them. H
boysen

Next

Return to Current events