Athletics Weekly

Morse throws 66.06m!

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Re: Morse throws 66.06m!

Postby bevone » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:25 pm

In fairness - he couldnt agree with you could he!!!!! I still think he should have thrown 64m at least but change things when everything is going fine in the weights room and in training - not a recipe for success. I am sure he is being badly advised when the solution was always closer to home.
bevone

Postby Kermit » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:02 pm

Bevone you know me well enough to understand what I am about to say and I hope Brett does too.

The issue is not what he does in training or in the minor events. Something goes horribly wrong in the championship meets. I can't put my finger on it but could it be that the preparation on the actual day differs.

Before this year's changes sprinting in the WC/OG was different to the CG/EC by one round and that could throw a sprinters preparations wildly off course. Could it be something similar to this that is causing the problem of producing great throws close to pb in championship events?
Kermit

Postby jjimbojames » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:09 pm

bevone wrote:In fairness - he couldnt agree with you could he!!!!! I still think he should have thrown 64m at least but change things when everything is going fine in the weights room and in training - not a recipe for success. I am sure he is being badly advised when the solution was always closer to home.

Bevone, he should have said nothing, and just got on with competing, as I said the other day. I very much doubt he came across how he wanted, but this is one of the issues with the written word.

How strange to think we're talking about leaving behind a 66/67m DT. Shame the depth isn't there in the other throws, really
jjimbojames

Postby Geoff » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:44 pm

I thought Abdul threw very well in the conditions and a little further than I thought. Very well done! Carl was solid but thought he may have thrown slightly further. Lawrence is so inconsistent but I thought he would have got one half decent throw out.

I knew there was likely to be a tail wind or coming from the left so distances were going to be down. I'm not sure how much the raised infield affects distances, Paul Dickenson said up to 2m, but I don't think it's quite as much as that. Probably around a metre?

Brett should have thrown further and at least got second but he didn't. He's a good prospect but has to produce the distances when it matters, as they all do, but taking exception to a wild guess of a prediction shows immaturity and a certain brashness that only Daley Thompson could carry off! Be confident, be angry, be annoyed but make it work for you and produce the goods when it counts.

I assume that Abdul will be invited to crystal Palace and Carl will not. Brett and Lawrence seem to have an invite so basically a head to head for the third spot. Who can reproduce their true form?

I won't make any predictions this time!!!
Geoff

Postby trickstat » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:13 pm

You've got to love Alexander Stadium - infield discus is uphill and outfield is downhill!
trickstat

Postby readtherules » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:41 am

Geoff wrote:I thought Abdul threw very well in the conditions and a little further than I thought. Very well done! Carl was solid but thought he may have thrown slightly further. Lawrence is so inconsistent but I thought he would have got one half decent throw out.

I knew there was likely to be a tail wind or coming from the left so distances were going to be down. I'm not sure how much the raised infield affects distances, Paul Dickenson said up to 2m, but I don't think it's quite as much as that. Probably around a metre?

Brett should have thrown further and at least got second but he didn't. He's a good prospect but has to produce the distances when it matters, as they all do, but taking exception to a wild guess of a prediction shows immaturity and a certain brashness that only Daley Thompson could carry off! Be confident, be angry, be annoyed but make it work for you and produce the goods when it counts.

I assume that Abdul will be invited to crystal Palace and Carl will not. Brett and Lawrence seem to have an invite so basically a head to head for the third spot. Who can reproduce their true form?

I won't make any predictions this time!!!

I think the commentator said worth 2 m , depending on the angle of landing this could be 2m.But defo would have given Alex Smith B std .

Shot also uphill.

Who is responsible ?
readtherules

Postby boysen » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:39 am

A theodolite(?) would settle the argument in about 5 minutes.Two metres over a 60m distance would be more than visible to the naked eye would it not?
boysen

Postby JimK » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:48 am

Show jumping large landscape feature was not removed but just spread across the in field.

The excess could have been used to level out the field beside the Hi Performance Centre which is seriously downhill beyond 40m?
JimK

Postby Geoff » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:54 am

boysen wrote:A theodolite(?) would settle the argument in about 5 minutes.Two metres over a 60m distance would be more than visible to the naked eye would it not?

The infield does not rise by 2m but a height considerably lower than that but may be enough to shorten distances by up to 2m. Personally, having thrown there, I doubt it makes such a difference and imo believe it to be less than a metre. However, it is slightly uphill and I only throw high 30's and not 60m.

Most infields and football pitches are crowned in order to aid drainage. The infield at Birmingham was possibly raised slightly because of a better drainage system being installed some years ago (not sure about the show jumping feature but this could have provided some of the material to crown the pitch). The pitch that has been raised the most is Old Trafford which is positively dangerous if you try a slide tackle on a wet day near the touch line!
Geoff

Postby Oleg » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:35 pm

65.30 for Brett today in Manchester
Oleg

Postby SteveK26 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:13 am

Which reinforces a good decision to pick him for Daegu.
SteveK26

Postby mump boy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:30 am

SteveK26 wrote:Which reinforces a good decision to pick him for Daegu.

considering Lawrence asked not to be considered there wasn't a decision to make. Uk male discus throwers make me :D this year but it has to happen in Daegu not randon meetings
mump boy

Postby Geoff » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:04 am

Another good throw from Brett which certainly more than backs up his recent 66m. Brett and the others must have a reasonable chance of making the final with a throw around 62.50-63.00 probably enough but will the pressure get to them. Brett seems to be the more consistent but he's had problems in the past when donning a GB vest although he's thrown well in the two Diamond League meetings he's taken part in.

We should get at least one into the final and it could be Brett but anything can happen on the day. Best of luck!
Geoff

Postby Sportsman29 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:16 am

I think there is a strong chance that we will have noone in the final, thats not to say thats a terrible outcome because the standards have risen so much this year, but i dont take it as a given that we will see any of them in the final....
Sportsman29

Postby mump boy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:28 pm

It took only 62.29 to qualify in Berlin and 62.68 in Osaka and 62.48 in Beijing this is definitely a distance that they can achieve i really hope Brett or Abdul can hold it together
mump boy

Postby bevone » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:57 pm

I have maintained that Brett IS our best thrower and I believe he will be the best out there and make the top 12 and then the top 8. HE is good enough, now experienced enough and our best chance. I didnt realise Lawrence had asked not to be picked, was that before or after the GP - either way - Brett had to be picked after that.
bevone

Postby mump boy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:50 pm

bevone wrote:I have maintained that Brett IS our best thrower and I believe he will be the best out there and make the top 12 and then the top 8. HE is good enough, now experienced enough and our best chance. I didnt realise Lawrence had asked not to be picked, was that before or after the GP - either way - Brett had to be picked after that.

Before, he said he wasn't consistent enough, had achieved his goals for the year and wanted to concentrate on training for next year
mump boy

Postby LiamRiley » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:30 pm

mump boy wrote:
bevone wrote:I have maintained that Brett IS our best thrower and I believe he will be the best out there and make the top 12 and then the top 8. HE is good enough, now experienced enough and our best chance. I didnt realise Lawrence had asked not to be picked, was that before or after the GP - either way - Brett had to be picked after that.

Before, he said he wasn't consistent enough, had achieved his goals for the year and wanted to concentrate on training for next year

That's quite a smart move from him.
LiamRiley

Postby bevone » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:19 am

LAwrence is shrewd operator and has demonstrated again that he is doing the right thing. HE is right,, he has achieved all he wanted this year and what a great year he has had. he has gone up even more in my estimation - if that was possible! I think also that We may have a situation where we have a 12th and 13th qualifier. I reckon Abdull has done enough to oprive he can throw 63a s has Carl adn Brett so it could be exciting. In stadiums, nobody has thrown particulaly far so PB's could be near meadla 66/67
bevone

Postby Ursus » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:16 am

Bev, like you I'm not certain when Lawrence's decision was made, but if it was while selection was still in the balance, then I would have to have reservations.

Ignore for a minute whether he would have been picked for Daegu, that's a different argument. But by saying he didn't want to be selected, he has missed out on the possibility of global champ experience which you just can't buy. That means that his first global (if selected) will be the OG on his doorstep where the pressure will be really on, especially if he has a good start to next season.

Although he's done brilliantly this year, he is inexperienced and erratic, so I would have thought that he would benefited from going to Daegu to experience first hand what is involved in a top level senior comp without too much real performance pressure. It's a bit different from the county champs or throwsfest.

Anyhow, all academic now.
Ursus

Postby Flumpy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:14 am

He can do the Euros' in Helsinki next year.
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:17 am

Ursus wrote:Bev, like you I'm not certain when Lawrence's decision was made, but if it was while selection was still in the balance, then I would have to have reservations.

Ignore for a minute whether he would have been picked for Daegu, that's a different argument. But by saying he didn't want to be selected, he has missed out on the possibility of global champ experience which you just can't buy. That means that his first global (if selected) will be the OG on his doorstep where the pressure will be really on, especially if he has a good start to next season.

Although he's done brilliantly this year, he is inexperienced and erratic, so I would have thought that he would benefited from going to Daegu to experience first hand what is involved in a top level senior comp without too much real performance pressure. It's a bit different from the county champs or throwsfest.

Anyhow, all academic now.

He told CVC before CP
mump boy

Postby SteveK26 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:36 am

It doesn't really matter who he told, or when. Okoye hopefully has a great future ahead of him, but on recent results the right man is going to Daegu.
SteveK26

Postby Dutch » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:51 am

mump boy wrote:
Ursus wrote:Bev, like you I'm not certain when Lawrence's decision was made, but if it was while selection was still in the balance, then I would have to have reservations.

He told CVC before CP

When I read Lawrence's pre-meeting interview then CVC's post-event explanation, I was pretty convinced that CVC was spinning it a bit. Of course it suits them both now to agree that there was a request not to be selected, but a priori nothing was reported from Lawrence that was any stronger than "give it my best shot, won't be devastated if I don't get picked".

I'd be very concerned if what CVC is now saying is completely honest, and an athlete who could potentially throw (at least) a medal-winning distance specifically asked not to be selected. But I don't think there's much chance that this is a wholly honest account and so I'm not too concerned.

(Also, it would have been madness, if that conversation really had taken place, not to let the media know. In the event that Brett lost to Lawrence and was then selected it would have looked like car-crash PR!)
Dutch

Postby bevone » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:40 am

Reading into it - yes this is a curious one! However, Lawrence's inconsistency could be attributed to his relative inexperience not just at this level but he did not throw that often prior to last year adn he has had quite a few 3NT in comp as he is still really learning the event - even though he has the UK record but in print he has thrown 67m and also 52 and 56 and 58m and 3nt and these were not all done in bad conditions. He is a powerful lad, once he settles into his technique I am sure he will be fine. A worry for him is that he may not set another PB for a couple of years simply because he may not arrive at such good conditions, however, I am sure he will be targetted to go to USA next year and spin a few into some of their conditions!!!!!
bevone

Postby Ursus » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:01 am

Bevone - have sources close to you been chatting to the Telegraph?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... coach.html
Ursus

Postby javman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:19 am

Ursus wrote:Bevone - have sources close to you been chatting to the Telegraph?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... coach.html

Oops not a great story. Makes Bevone look very bitter.

Whilst I am certainly no fan of drug taking, Vestainan was caught over 25 years ago, when many acknowledge that drugs were rampant in athletics. By no way am I condoning his actions but perhaps in those 25 years he has learnt the error of his ways and is now putting into practice some of the lessons he learnt.

This continual harassment of Brett is pretty poor. Let him continue to be coached by whomever he wants and whomever he feels is best for him.
javman

Postby SteveK26 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:48 am

I'm not sure Brett is being harassed, but am sure of one thing: he had a terrific season last year, and ended up as DEFINATELY the UK no. 1.
I don't know the guy from Adam, but from his comments on these boards I would say he is his own man and wont be too influenced by public opinion. Which is how it should be. I hope he continues his progression into Olympic year.

Having said that, UK mens discus is pretty good right now and he might have to continue his upward profile to remain our No. 1.
SteveK26

Postby diskobolus » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:59 pm

Javman is right, Brett can get whoever he wants to coach him. No one can argue with that. What worries me is that UKA can just come in and take an athlete off a coach, like has happened in this instance. I think this sends a message to all coaches who'se face doesn't fit with UKA, and to all athletes (particularly up and coming junior ones), who are being coached by maverick coaches, that at any time it wants UKA will just exercise its muscle, and remove the athlete.
diskobolus

Postby BigGut » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:50 pm

Brett has stated categorically that that is not what has happened, are you calling him a liar?
BigGut

PreviousNext

Return to Current events