Athletics Weekly

Morse throws 66.06m!

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Morse throws 66.06m!

Postby Jon Mulkeen » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:04 pm

Discus throwing is going crazy!! :shock:

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/mor ... ws-66-06m/

He had four throws over 64.80m. Goes to No.3 on the UK all-time list and becomes fourth Brit with the 'A' standard. The discus at this weekend's Trials has the potential to be superb.
Jon Mulkeen
Site Admin

Re: Morse throws 66.06m!

Postby Geoff » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:28 pm

Well done to Brett. No one could have predicted at the start of the season we would have 4 throwers with the 'A' standard plus another with the 'B'!

The trials will be interesting because they will be genuine trials with the first two going to Daegu assuming they have the 'A' standard. Hopefully, we will see some long throws but there is always a chance they could freeze and it's won at 60/61m.

Prediction:
1. Myerscough 64m
2. Okoye 63m
3. Morse 61m

But would be great if all went over 65m!
Geoff

Postby usedtoit33 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:06 pm

That's absolutely brilliant! I'm so pleased for him. And it really does make the trials very interesting. When have we ever had four men qualified at the A standard??? I'd be happy with four men over 60m at the trials. Depends on what the wind's going to be like in Brum. :D
usedtoit33

Postby brettmorse » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:41 pm

@Geoff. 3rd with 61 metres? :s wow my average is better than that and 4 days out i throw a pb of 66 which shows im in form. Good to see you guys have confidence. Also i may add i have more 'A' and 'B' standards combined than the other guys. but aw well maybe i will only throw 61. We will see
brettmorse

Postby Geoff » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:49 pm

Brett well done today and hope you can reproduce it at the weekend. I am probably way out on my predictions but thought they may get a few comments and disagreements. Be confident but not brash and just do it on the day. Good luck.
Geoff

Postby mump boy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:05 pm

brettmorse wrote:@Geoff. 3rd with 61 metres? :s wow my average is better than that and 4 days out i throw a pb of 66 which shows im in form. Good to see you guys have confidence. Also i may add i have more 'A' and 'B' standards combined than the other guys. but aw well maybe i will only throw 61. We will see

To be fair to Geoff, throwing well in pressure situations has not been your strong suit up to now, plus B'ham is not known for great conditions. I hope you prove him wrong.

Let's hope this weekend sees everyone on top form :D
mump boy

Postby Ursus » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:57 pm

I really wouldn't want to predict this one at all. Brett has been the most consistent but there a number capable of doing something really special. Odds are that at least one of them will. But who?

In the meantime, very well done to Brett. 66 is world class.
Ursus

Postby Pink Pitt » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:58 pm

Well done Brett :D
Pink Pitt

Postby brettmorse » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:15 pm

@mump boy. havnt thrown well in pressure situations? PB last year..... Diamond league meet with biggest field ive ever thrown in. Won AAA's title with 61 something which was above average for that year, another diamond league meet threw 61 something again which also was above average for the season. Was well out of shape in Dehli (125kg) when i am now only 114. Also won the meet in Halle where are the time i wasnt ranked number 1 again with 61 something. Came back twice to Emeka at loughborough where he had overtaken me and threw his seasons best. This year started well beating world medalist rutger smith in Irvine in the US then i got hurt so performances went down. (Also in the US beat jarrod rome and Ian Waltz) US olympians both with PBs over 68 metres. In stockholm this year in the rain at the european cup had 2 fouls but still managed to pull one out and get an extra point for GB ahead of my ranking. European U23 (Kaunas 2007) ranked 13th came 13th. World juniors (i will admit got nervous as first decent comp where i was ranked high and i was 17). European u20's (2007) PB in qualifying round to make final when ranked outside top 20 finished in 9th. In Ostrava in increddible shape, threw in PB territory on 2 throws and over 60 on another but minor foot fouls meant i didnt progress.

So apart from Ostrava and World juniors (2008) where have i not performed under pressure?
brettmorse

Postby usedtoit33 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:15 am

Brett, prove 'em all wrong and throw huge in Brum! :D Your consistency has been absolutely incredible this year. You must know now that if you step into the circle and execute (I hate that word) your technique and give it your all, which every athlete tries to do, you'll throw a long way.

All us fans want of athletes is that they do themselves proud and do the best they can and I'm sure that's what you aim for too. And we'll be cheering you all the way. :D Trust me, Mump Boy will be jumping up and down and cheering you especially if you make the final in Daegu. I'm sure he won't mind me telling you he's posted good things about all the discus throwers this year on Facebook. And he won't be the only one cheering.
usedtoit33

Postby paul » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:16 am

Rock'n'roll.

Discus is on fire this year.
:D
paul

Postby SteveK26 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:52 am

Brett
Thanks to you and the other boys, discus should now be fully on the media agenda.Here's hoping you all go on to good things in Daegu.....and then there's London next year. The timing of this upsurge of performances (in throwing) couldn't have been better!
SteveK26

Postby mump boy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:22 am

brettmorse wrote:@mump boy. havnt thrown well in pressure situations? PB last year..... Diamond league meet with biggest field ive ever thrown in. Won AAA's title with 61 something which was above average for that year, another diamond league meet threw 61 something again which also was above average for the season. Was well out of shape in Dehli (125kg) when i am now only 114. Also won the meet in Halle where are the time i wasnt ranked number 1 again with 61 something. Came back twice to Emeka at loughborough where he had overtaken me and threw his seasons best. This year started well beating world medalist rutger smith in Irvine in the US then i got hurt so performances went down. (Also in the US beat jarrod rome and Ian Waltz) US olympians both with PBs over 68 metres. In stockholm this year in the rain at the european cup had 2 fouls but still managed to pull one out and get an extra point for GB ahead of my ranking. European U23 (Kaunas 2007) ranked 13th came 13th. World juniors (i will admit got nervous as first decent comp where i was ranked high and i was 17). European u20's (2007) PB in qualifying round to make final when ranked outside top 20 finished in 9th. In Ostrava in increddible shape, threw in PB territory on 2 throws and over 60 on another but minor foot fouls meant i didnt progress.

So apart from Ostrava and World juniors (2008) where have i not performed under pressure?

Hi Brett firstly i want to say that i am a great fan of yours and have nothing but respect for what you have done over the last few years and i'm not getting into a debate into the vagaries of your performance. It is because of your acheivemnents in rasing the level in the DT that we find ourself in the current situation :D.

My comments regarding Geoff were not meant as a criticism of you, just a defence of Geoffs predictions, someone has to come third and i don't think it's really fair if everytime anyone on here makes a valid, light hearted and well meaning prediction they get picked up on it by the athlete in question. None of us would ever be able to say anything (some may think this a good thing)

I wish you all the best at the weekend and hope you repeat your form of this week and make it to Daegu where i'll be cheering you on
mump boy

Postby Geoff » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:55 am

Before I get a knock on my door from our discus throwers I should say that 4 or 5 athletes are in with a chance of winning the trials! We shouldn't discount Abdul Buhari or even Chris Scott! Brett could well win it and Myerscough could bomb out. Okoye could throw another British record. Abdul could throw a PB. No one knows for sure until the actual day but everyone is looking forward to a great competition.

I'll stick to my predictions, though, and risk facing the flak when it all proves wrong!

Good luck to everyone.
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:43 am

Brett throws big in Helsingborg

http://vesteinn.com/4059

This includes a video clip of his throw.
Geoff

Postby jmp1991 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:53 pm

I am not putting myself in a position to predict who is going to be selected for Daegu, as we can't predict the future, but I would like to say this;

Brett was always consistent in training and competition before he split with Nigel (I can't remember a training throw when he went less then 60/61m!). He has been consistent all year long with lots of good throws over 60/61 for a average throw? (Sorry Brett if I got your average throw wrong).

Abdul, Chris & Carl have been consistent all year round. All 3 of them have thrown 60m and over lots of times. I think Carl especially hasn't had a discus competition less than 60m this year? Perhaps the selecters will look at consistency.

I do hope Lawrence does well, as everybody else! With a good quality field going to it, that should push everyone on for 1 of those aeroplane seats!

James
jmp1991

Postby bevone » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:32 pm

Ah
Last edited by bevone on Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bevone

Postby bevone » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:34 pm

bevone wrote:I think a few were referring to Brett's problems at major games and not necessarily in GP's etc. Also because he says he threw near PB's but fouled them - he doesnt see that as a failure i.e. he threw the distance but fouled them which is better than getting three throws in and throwing badly.

Domestically though, he has done well and you should remember that the domestic competition have been throwing good at good condition locations. A lot of the better throws are at Loughborughh Bedford, Hendon and there are multiple events there! If you want to sprint quick -dont come to cardiff - always a headwind!!!! Hence choose your venue!!! Scott and Abdul havent beaten Brett as far as I can remember leaving lawrence and Carl. Lawrence is a talent but I am not sure what he will throw as it is just a likely to got 70m than hitting the cage 3 times! Credit to Lawrence as well, he won his first real title at the first attempt and when he threw his 67 that was in the 4th round after abdul had thrown 65m pb beyond his and his written response was that it encouraged him so the lad can compete - no doubt about it. Carl was telling us he used the wind well in the US but that may also be kidology at 6'10 he is capable as well. Brett threw 61.75 last year - and a 64m foul and he is 3 m better this year so in similar conditions I expected him to throw 64 to 66m and until 2 weeks ago he was a lot better physically and technically since last year. However, things do not always go to plan and all you can do is concentrate on what your best is and hope it is good enough. Im not sure what the champs best is but I am sure it will go. I think that the top three will be Brett, Carl and Lawrence with abdul 4th and Scott 5th. - but it may take 65 plus to win it so who can do that on an overcast negligable windless day in birmingham?

The real winner will be the men's discus but it could be relegated to three throws on TV showing us the top three order. I wish they would highlight it and show lots of it round by round - but that may be wishful thinking.
bevone

Postby foxyjarvis » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:19 pm

Why was Brett Morse '125kg and out of shape' for the CG. 11kg overweight, I thought the CG would have been the years major target, turning up fit and focused, with a realistic aim of landing a major senior title at 21.
My prediction for the weekend, providing he keeps off the pies till then
1)Morse
2)Buhari
3)Okoye
foxyjarvis

Postby 3a » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:16 pm

brettmorse wrote:@Geoff. 3rd with 61 metres? :s wow my average is better than that and 4 days out i throw a pb of 66 which shows im in form. Good to see you guys have confidence. Also i may add i have more 'A' and 'B' standards combined than the other guys. but aw well maybe i will only throw 61. We will see

:oops: I can only assume that this is someone proclaiming to be Brett and not the man himself. Any run of the mill PR experience would highlight the cringe worthy unprofessionalism of answering back on an internet chat site, to someone who hasn't predicted your victory? :oops:

I'm sure Brett Morse the professional athlete would choose to answer critics on the field as opposed to wasting (negative) energy defending himself against...um...someone's predictions???
3a

Postby bevone » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:24 am

Actually, I think it is good that an athlete can join a debate about himself and give his perspective. Other sportsmen do it and also twitter has been designed for other to know what you are feeling!!!! I dont agree with this ban on FB and social networking sites by NGB's. They cannot deny you your own human rights to meet with and talk to people on the internet as much as they cannot tell you who to hang out with in real life. The fact that the head of performance calls social network users jokers and those with too much time on their hands and the CEO calls them 'nerds' just shows their ignorance to this media and perhaps they should embrace it. 1 in 3 (this may refer to households so does not include workplace, internet cafes and universities)in the UK have social networking sites of some kind apparently. I am not sure of the figures, but I am not sure that 1 in 3 are regular athletics participants or watchers and looking at the amount of traffic on the BBC boards for football rugbby and cricket - they get infinatly more threads and debaters than athletics.

There are also many athletics clubs FB sites and GB fan sites which could also be utilised for advertising future events.
bevone

Postby jjimbojames » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:49 am

bev, the problem is that people on MBs will make statements that athletes / celebs don't always like - anyone in the public eye has to get used to letting some things pass them by. If you can't handle reading these things without reacting, it's probably best to avoid them - it's not about rights, but PR and people's perceptions of you. Interesting to note PI's statements in the Read it in the News thread, but look how he is seen to react to things. I'm sure PI is a lovely guy, but when the only time people publically see you is having a spat, they take that as your personality

Twitter/FB/MBs - great as awareness tools, but to respond to criticism, an athlete should just let their performance do the answering back IMO.
jjimbojames

Postby Anthony Treacher » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:56 am

Yes, well done Brett. And if it really is you please continue to post. It is interesting to hear from an active athlete.It is not "unprofessional." We need more athletes on this forum.
Anthony Treacher

Postby bevone » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:01 am

It is Brett Anthony and well said. I dont see any harm in him putting forward his view which is more informed than most!!!
bevone

Postby usedtoit33 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

jjimbojames wrote:bev, the problem is that people on MBs will make statements that athletes / celebs don't always like - anyone in the public eye has to get used to letting some things pass them by. If you can't handle reading these things without reacting, it's probably best to avoid them - it's not about rights, but PR and people's perceptions of you. Interesting to note PI's statements in the Read it in the News thread, but look how he is seen to react to things. I'm sure PI is a lovely guy, but when the only time people publically see you is having a spat, they take that as your personality

Twitter/FB/MBs - great as awareness tools, but to respond to criticism, an athlete should just let their performance do the answering back IMO.

What jjimbo said. I totally agree.

While it's great to chat to an athlete and get his/her views, at least on Twitter and FB you have some measure of control. You can block trolls/people who just want to get a rise out of you, delete spam and vicious comments, etc. But, you have to remember that you are effectively talking to the world. Anyone can take a screenshot and show people what you've written before you have a chance to delete anything. On a messageboard, while you can delete your post, you have no control over what other people say to you. And if someone has a go at you, then it can unsettle you, when you should be concentrating on other things.
usedtoit33

Postby Geoff » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:05 pm

Nice video on BBC of Lawrence Okoye. His coach thinks he could be best thrower ever!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/14329281.stm
Geoff

Postby kermit_the_frog » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:02 pm

Excuse my ignorance - I'm not so up to speed on field events (regrettably so in light of this discus revival) but I need clarification of my knowledge of Carl Myerscough -

Carl Myerscough now competes in the discus AND in the shotput?

He served a ban whilst a shotputter?

This previous ban means he won't be able to compete in London next year?

The ban doesn't stop him from competing in Daegu?
kermit_the_frog

Postby Geoff » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:06 pm

kermit_the_frog wrote:Excuse my ignorance - I'm not so up to speed on field events (regrettably so in light of this discus revival) but I need clarification of my knowledge of Carl Myerscough -

Welcome KtF. You are correct with all the above. Appears to be focussing on discus this year but is doing both at the trials.
Geoff

Postby kermit_the_frog » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:11 pm

Geoff wrote:
kermit_the_frog wrote:Excuse my ignorance - I'm not so up to speed on field events (regrettably so in light of this discus revival) but I need clarification of my knowledge of Carl Myerscough -

Welcome KtF. You are correct with all the above. Appears to be focussing on discus this year but is doing both at the trials.

Thank you - the discus has been added to my 'must-see' events for the weekend. How much coverage it will get in the highlights is, I suppose, a different matter entirely!
kermit_the_frog

Postby 3a » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:35 pm

and Brett came......3rd with 61 metres
3a

Next

Return to Current events