Athletics Weekly

Which athletes do you think should switch events?

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

Which athletes do you think should switch events?

Postby Jon Mulkeen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:54 pm

Helen Clitheroe showed what can happen when you switch events. Are there any other athletes out there you feel would benefit from a change in events? If so, which events do you feel they should switch to?
Jon Mulkeen
Site Admin

Re: Which athletes do you think should switch events?

Postby mump boy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Don't get me started

half the UK's female sprinters should try Hurdles, LJ or TJ

Marlon and Christian should have tried 400m years ago

Jade should have tried multi events or TJ

Martin Rooney should try 800m

Most western distance runners spend too much time at shorter distances, move
up to Marathon earlier it's probably too late in mid 30's

Vicky Barr should do 400h

Most female LJ should try modelling
mump boy

Postby sovietvest » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:18 am

Great question Jon! (Let's hope though we don't get a load of refugees from TFN saying Warriner should step up.).

I’d love to see Andy Baddley moving up to 5000. He doesn’t have the 800 speed to win a global 1500 medal. I don’t see him winning any paced 5ks on the circuit in sub-13 minute times but the way the 5ks are often run at major champs might suit him.

Mump has already picked my favourite: I really hope to see Rooney over 800.

Andy Turner, post-2012 should have a go at the longer hurdles (he has good 200m ability). That reminds me of the greatest ‘If only’ in British athletics: Tony Jarrett should currently hold the British 400mH record.

I think the LJ or 100mH is only a sensible option for a ‘failed’ W100m runner if she learned the technique in her youth and has some background in the event. Learning to hurdle in your 20s is hard enough if you’re trying the steeplechase or 400mH, but doing it whilst sprinting flat out is a bit too much to ask. A really great sprinter can do something at LJ with poor technique.. .. .. but even Marion Jones in 10.7 form could only reach 6.90 odd.

Is it time for Nicola Sanders to go back to 400mH or even to step up to 800. I’m guessing the latter isn’t an attractive proposition due to our strength in depth. Mind you if we keep buying Americans, the flat 400 might be a bit hot for her as well.
sovietvest

Postby mump boy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:30 pm

[quote="mump boy"]

Most female LJ should try modelling[/quote]

My point

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5217/550 ... 94c8_b.jpg
mump boy

Postby sikander » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:55 pm

I am a big fan of usain bolt and thinks he should continue with 100 metre . But he should also try long jump. If he continues like this he can become the greatest athlete of all time with medal in 100,200,400,4*100,and long jump
sikander

Postby Eddie » Mon May 30, 2011 9:28 am

[quote="sovietvest"]Great question Jon! (Let's hope though we don't get a load of refugees from TFN saying Warriner should step up.).

I’d love to see Andy Baddley moving up to 5000. He doesn’t have the 800 speed to win a global 1500 medal. I don’t see him winning any paced 5ks on the circuit in sub-13 minute times but the way the 5ks are often run at major champs might suit him.

[/quote]

I think he could do a lot better at 1500m. To me, he spends too much time at the back, chopping his stride and wasting energy slowing himself down. When he is in full flow he looks superb. I'd love to see him take more races on from the start, going at a faster speed. It might not work straight away or ever, but it would be interesting to find out.
Eddie

Postby 2nd is nowhere » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Steph Twell should try steeplechase, I hope I'm wrong but i can only see her getting outsprinted in 1500m and the longer distances as well. Steeplechase is a race with a big advantage of leading it out and races are rarely left to a sprint over the last 100m someone like Twell has the speed and strength for steeplechase and given the womens barriers are fairly low compared to the mens it wouldnt take long for her to get the hurdling technique to be strong in the event, for me its the only place she can win a world medal on the track.
2nd is nowhere

Postby GBSupporter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:23 pm

Yep theres no doubt most of the sprinters never will meet the mark . Definately should be going for a field event or hurdles. Baddley didnt hack it at the 5000 this year .So much promise seems to be wasted .Helen Clitheroe should have swapped to the longer distances years ago .Now its too late . It should be standard policy thinking if you show reasonable talent but not in the world top ten come the Olympics ,its time for a change of event and coach .
GBSupporter

Postby timbo61 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:56 pm

enter them all in the egg and spoon race, too many excuses made by the athletes for not doing well, the are the best allegedly, picked to run for our country not because they want to become a celebrity, if a athlete is injured then dont run, I would prefer a up and coming athlete be entered into the olympics to gain experience the a top athlete who is unable to do a good job, its not taking the part if that was the case then i ran every race and come last to travel the world and gain celebrity status, we make every excuse under the sun for bad performances, they say if you cant take the heat get out of the kitchen same to athletes.
timbo61

Postby camerajuan » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:47 pm

[quote="mump boy"][quote="mump boy"]

My point

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5217/550 ... 94c8_b.jpg[/quote]

2/3 ain't bad! Thats not a great pic of Gomes!
camerajuan

Postby sovietvest » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:38 am

Steph Twell might benefit from moving up to 5k earlier than intended. The 1500 is looking more competitive than ever and she'd be lining up against England, Dobriskey, Thomas, Smith and Weightman at the Trials. I wonder if the ankle injury may affect her sprinting speed. Contrast that to the 5000 where only her and Helen C look capable of running a qualifying time. And of course she's already our 4th fastest ever over 5k (compared to only 14th fastest at 1500).

Potentially she's still a sub 4 1500 runner (who fully fit I would have backed against both England and Dobriskey) so I'm sure she'll at least prepare for the season with the 1500 as her main goal. I just hope that an early season 5k is scheduled to chase the QT, so she then has it as a fall-back.
sovietvest

Postby gruffalo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:19 pm

Gaining an Olympic qualifying standard is no indication of an athletes likelihood to medal. It is an arbitrary level of performance.

The A standard for the W5000m is 15:15 - this is light years away from the class of athletes who can run sub 14:40 and will dominate the medals. Kenya & Ethiopia have such a large choice of candidates. In Daegu Helen C ran 15:21 - the top 4 ran sub 15 mins - the top 6 all inside Helen Cs best. Similar in 2009 - top 3 Ken/Eth under 15mins - top 6 Eth/ken inside Helen Cs best. 2007 Joanne Pavey was 9th - inside Helen Cs best - top 4 Ken/Eth sub 15.

People say "well when it come to a championships" - well can sometimes happen there is a slow race e.g. 2008 OG
but the top 5 positions were covered by Ken/"Eth" all of whom were sub 15m athletes.

Whether athletes can switch and improve or find a (UK) niche is neither here nor where when on the world stage their "position" is unchanged
gruffalo

Postby aheadofhistime » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:01 pm

With out a doubt, Nicola Sanders should now be running the 800m event.

Jennie Meadows, was not as fast as Nicola at 400m, has made the transition successfully, so I see no reason why Nicola would not be a success at the longer distance.

Also I'm sure this wouldno jeopardise her place in the 4x400m relay- infact it would benefit her. If necessary I would train her for a year for free!!
aheadofhistime

Postby jnathletics » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:47 pm

How about someone going back to a previous event? It always disappointed me that Carolina Klüft stopped doing Hept's. Wouldn't the London games be even more exciting with her in the Hept? Wonder what she could still do in it? and would that give the event 3 possible contenders for the Gold?

Now that would be "Fan"-tastic!?!?! ;-)
jnathletics

Postby PJS » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:06 pm

I dont think there is enough lateral thinking from athletes who have reached the heights of mediocracy but might well excel at a different event or indeed sport...

Craig Pickering: He really should consider trialling for Bobsleigh.
HAA - with his shoulders, why not try sprint canoeing...

I adore Nicola Sanders... I am sure there was a moment, if there hadn't been any injuries, she would have achieved the UK 400m record... but now I think she is too fragile to try 800m or return to 400 mh...but wish her so much luck for 2012.

I should have had a tenner on Kelly Southerton returing for one last effort at the Hep... I think this means Katrina J-T is unlikely to get the third Heptathlon slot for Team GB...could she not focus on trying to qualify for the LJ?

I urged UK Sport, back in 2006, to consider talent identification of your big, but lean, Rugby types, who were stranded in the second X1s but with their long levers could have tried some of the throws (actually take the roadshow to their grounds - have fun throws events before Rugby league matches)... I can't claim credit for Mr. Okoye (UK Sport just sent me a blah blah blah reply...) but it proves the point - there are guys out there who could be encouraged.

Someone mentioned Vicky Barr... I dont know her story but she appears to have had all the physical advantages (tall, lean) to have really eaten up the track...maybe she needs a new challange...a new sport... maybe too late

There are some very good schemes out there now to get athletes to try other sports (see UK Sport - Talent ID) ... they really should take advantage of it ...
PJS

Postby trickstat » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:16 pm

[quote="PJS"]
I should have had a tenner on Kelly Southerton returing for one last effort at the Hep... I think this means Katrina J-T is unlikely to get the third Heptathlon slot for Team GB...could she not focus on trying to qualify for the LJ?
[/quote]

As she is still a Junior in 2012, I suspect KJ-T's main aim will be the World Junior Hep. Not inconceivable that she might do a big LJ that might get her to London whilst focussing mainly on the Hep.
trickstat

Postby PJS » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:12 pm

Robert Tobin is another example...

His best 400m was in 2005 (45.01) and for the next 6 years he has "flat lined" at this event... of course injuries, illness etc etc...

but... he has run 800m in the past...

Does he have the physiology to run a good 800m? Has someone suggested he get tested as the various sports science labs to see the indicators...

Is it not part of his training to do reps of 400m? Has he ever recorded back to back 400m at around 52 secs - or better (with minimal rest interval in between)? That might indicate a 1min 44 is at least doable...

Is his mindset to be world class at any event or comfortable at just going through the motions in what he knows ...

Isn't incumbent upon some talent ID type at UK sport to say to someone like Mr. Tobin, you will nver be great at 400m , but you could be amazing at 800 ... he is only 28... he could give it a try...
PJS

Postby dannyfstacademy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:28 pm

I think in the break between big events, world and olympics etc, i think all the track athletes should switch events for a season e.g. 400m should switch to 200m, 200m to 400 etc this will go towards improving athletes speed and speed endurance. I wish i had done this a few times in my sprinting days and i do tell the athletes i coach to do the same at the bottom end of there age group.
dannyfstacademy

Postby larkim » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:13 pm

[quote="camerajuan"][quote="mump boy"][quote="mump boy"]

My point

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5217/550 ... 94c8_b.jpg[/quote]

2/3 ain't bad! Thats not a great pic of Gomes![/quote]

And there's me worrying about my sexist tendencies!

Matt
larkim

Postby kingmaker » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:26 am

[quote="dannyfstacademy"]I think in the break between big events, world and olympics etc, i think all the track athletes should switch events for a season e.g. 400m should switch to 200m, 200m to 400 etc this will go towards improving athletes speed and speed endurance. I wish i had done this a few times in my sprinting days and i do tell the athletes i coach to do the same at the bottom end of there age group.[/quote]

totally agree Danny too many of our athlees run the same thing week in week out year in yera out thats why they don't progress. As for Rooney and Tobin this will be their last year for 400 metres for both of them I think and the rest of our mediocre 400m men Williams Bingham et al need to seriously think about switching soon.

As for the question at hand Turner at 400h would be my choice of the current crop.
kingmaker

Return to Current events