Athletics Weekly

UK Trials-Top 9 Through In The Shot

News, reports and results from the UK and the rest of the world

UK Trials-Top 9 Through In The Shot

Postby malcolm.fenton » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:52 pm

Most interesting yesterday, in that in the Men's Shot, 9 athletes were taken through for a further 3 putts?

As this meeting was under IAAF Rules, an athlete can have 6 putts, if there are only 8 competitors, despite not having a valid putt in the first 3 rounds. 9 putters went through, as two of them had fouled their first 3 attempts, so were tied in 8th place, without a mark for either.

A very good spot and call by the officials, although it confuse me for quite a while!
malcolm.fenton

Re: UK Trials-Top 9 Through In The Shot

Postby Geoff » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:54 pm

Lynn Davies was 8th equal after three rounds of the famous 1968 Olympic long jump but failed to progress because the officials got it wrong and he, apparently, was unaware of the IAAF rule. In those days countback didn't count and I think he was a little distracted and possibly shocked by the Beamon jump. Good to see ours get it right.
Geoff

Postby twid » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:06 pm

Malcolm, Scott Lincoln was throwing a 6kg so i guess technically he was in a different competition.
twid

Postby malcolm.fenton » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:04 am

twid wrote:Malcolm, Scott Lincoln was throwing a 6kg so i guess technically he was in a different competition.

I'd already Scott out of the equation. There were 9 others, who all had 6 throws.
malcolm.fenton

Return to Current events