Athletics Weekly | World Athlete of the year - Athletics Weekly

World Athlete of the year

This topic contains 27 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dpickup dpickup 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

Contenders have been announced today, Barshim and Lasitskene have been very entertaining all year in the HJ if not quite jumping heights that compare to the all time best. I’d go for Thiam and Vetter who both delivered WC golds and set very competitive marks earlier in the season. Manyonga was excellent too

Men
    Mutaz Essa Barshim (QAT)
    Pawel Fajdek (POL)
    Mohamed Farah (GBR)
    Sam Kendricks (USA)
    Elijah Manangoi (KEN)
    Luvo Manyonga RSA)
    Omar McLeod (JAM)
    Christian Taylor (USA)
    Wayde van Niekerk (RSA)
    Johannes Vetter (GER)

Women
    Almaz Ayana (ETH)
    Maria Lasitskene (ANA)
    Hellen Obiri (KEN)
    Sally Pearson (AUS)
    Sandra Perkovic (CRO)
    Brittney Reese (USA)
    Caster Semenya (RSA)
    Ekaterini Stefanidi (GRE)
    Nafissatou Thiam (BEL)
    Anita Wlodarczyk (POL)

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Stefanidi, Lasitskene, and Wlodarcyk have been unbeaten and won Golds this year and ought to be in the lead; how you decide on them I don’t know.
    Barshim, Kendricks and Fajdek the top 3 guys; won Golds and probably unbeaten.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

No Kipchoge!

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

Barshim and Pearson for me.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

Farah and Lasiskene for me from those lists.

Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

No Kipchoge!

Much as I tried to ignore the sub-2 circus (actually there was nothing wrong with it in principle – I just dislike Nike as a corporation), the time trial in Monza was, for me, the athletic performance of the year. Fully understand that it can’t be considered in this context since it was not a performance eligible for inclusion on any ranking list. But to come back and win a brutal race like the one in Berlin makes me believe Kipchoge is the greatest athlete currently competing.

sovietvest
    Participant

I’d go for Lasiskene. I know Wlodarcyk threw the second furthest ever but I think you have to factor in how much more developed HJing is. Lasiskene’s equal 5th best ever jump is more impressive.

For the men, much as I enjoyed Manyonga’s performances, I have to rate Vetter higher. 2nd best throw ever in a very competitive era for JTing.

sovietvest
    Participant

No Kipchoge!

But to come back and win a brutal race like the one in Berlin makes me believe Kipchoge is the greatest athlete currently competing.

Rubbish – van Niekerk is clearly the greatest currently. Some people post without thinking.

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

But to come back and win a brutal race like the one in Berlin makes me believe Kipchoge is the greatest athlete currently competing.

Rubbish – van Niekerk is clearly the greatest currently. Some people post without thinking.

I’ll hold your coat….

Lasitskene and van Niekirk for me.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of laps laps.
    Profile photo of nickp3445
    Nickp3445
    Participant

Interesting that Perkovic is on the list despite having served a doping ban. Thought the rules had changed around this, hence Gatlin’s omission?

sovietvest
    Participant

Perkovic was done for methylhexanamine and banned for 6 months. In 2015 the IAAF excluded people who had served bans for ‘serious doping offences’.

There were a spate of methylhexanamine positives around that time (2010 – 2011). WADA recognized the possibility of positive cases as a result of inadvertent use, and classifiedit in the “Specified Category” of stimulants, which means that if an athlete can prove that the source of the drug was a supplement taken inadvertently, then the ban can be reduced.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Farah was not unbeaten during the year and had one high quality performance this year, in the 10k in London.
    Seems unfair on the unbeaten Kendricks, and Barshim who were also Gold medallists in London.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Vetter for going 2nd all time and having that series – also the 2nd best of all time – in Lucern.

And Pearson, for sheer bouncebackability. Not sure if that’s one of the criterion, in fact I have no idea what they are at all. Is it totally subjective?

sovietvest
    Participant

Vetter for going 2nd all time and having that series – also the 2nd best of all time – in Lucern.

And Pearson, for sheer bouncebackability. Not sure if that’s one of the criterion, in fact I have no idea what they are at all. Is it totally subjective?

Yes – the public vote ensures it is entirely subjective. If Bolt were on the list he would win again.

The rankings on All-Athletics are interesting. They offer an objective way of measuring individuals in different events against each other. Van Niekerk and Lasitskene are currently top.

I see that in the countries ranking our men are now ranked 3rd and the women 2nd.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Yes – the public vote ensures it is entirely subjective. If Bolt were on the list he would win again.

The rankings on All-Athletics are interesting. They offer an objective way of measuring individuals in different events against each other. Van Niekerk and Lasitskene are currently top.

I see that in the countries ranking our men are now ranked 3rd and the women 2nd.

You know that the All- athletics site ranks consistently performances much higher than placements. I don’t give credence for one offs, or outliers as it is now called; to me, and many others I suspect, its what honours you achieve in the globals that really counts. The rankings from the above are vastly overrated in GBs favour as far as I am concerned, but if it makes some fans happy that our women are ranked 2nd best in the world… yippee and our men third… yippee again..
    Much more impressed with Frank Dick’s article in AW last week, pointing out the reality of our elite track and field inadequacy these days, with only one individual athlete able to medal in August, bearing in mind the large sums spent in this country on our elite, giving lousy value for money..

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

Farah was not unbeaten during the year and had one high quality performance this year, in the 10k in London.
    Seems unfair on the unbeaten Kendricks, and Barshim who were also Gold medallists in London.

I know. But for the sheer capability of handling the pressure to pick up one gold, and the tenaciousness with which he as a multiple gold medal winner gave everything for his silver, he captures the “athlete of the year” concept best for me. Entirely subjective, and as he’s my “favourite” athlete anyway I am completely biased! (Just like the other voters)

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

You know that the All- athletics site ranks consistently performances much higher than placements. I don’t give credence for one offs, or outliers as it is now called; to me, and many others I suspect, its what honours you achieve in the globals that really counts. The rankings from the above are vastly overrated in GBs favour as far as I am concerned, but if it makes some fans happy that our women are ranked 2nd best in the world… yippee and our men third… yippee again..
    Much more impressed with Frank Dick’s article in AW last week, pointing out the reality of our elite track and field inadequacy these days, with only one individual athlete able to medal in August, bearing in mind the large sums spent in this country on our elite, giving lousy value for money..

You can ignore the evaluation that AllAthletics does, by all means. But if we were tumbling down that table the naysayers would point to it as evidence of the dire state of UK athletics.

It’s one measure. Is it good we are high up? Yes. Are there flaws in the methodology? Of course. Is athletics in the UK thriving? Not as we’d all like. But other countries would dearly love to be ranked where we’re ranked.

sovietvest
    Participant

I know. But for the sheer capability of handling the pressure to pick up one gold, and the tenaciousness with which he as a multiple gold medal winner gave everything for his <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0); color: rgb(0, 153, 0);”>silver</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span>, he captures the “athlete of the year” concept best for me. Entirely subjective, and as he’s my “favourite” athlete anyway I am completely biased! (Just like the other voters)

And that Zurich race was the best race I can remember watching outside a major champs in years.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

public vote

Oh Gawd, wouldn’t trust that lot.

Definitely Vetter and Pearson for me then.

Profile photo of stefan
    Stefan
    Participant

Here are the 3 men who went undefeated this year (among the nominees):

Mutaz Essa Barshim (QAT)
    World high jump champion, IAAF Diamond League champion. Undefeated all year in 11 competitions.

Sam Kendricks (USA)
    World pole vault champion, IAAF Diamond League champion. Undefeated all year in 17 competitions.

Luvo Manyonga (RSA)
    World long jump champion, IAAF Diamond League champion. Undefeated all year in nine competitions.

Link: http://www.germanroadraces.de/24-1-51032-2017-world-athlete-of-the-year-.html

I’d probably go with one of them.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

with you Stefan.

The public vote is by whom, experts on arrange of sports or just people with a passing interest in some sport.. or people who vote after a nice BBC biased programme coverage; lots of emoting all over the place.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

oops … forgot its not the SPOTY thing we were talking about but the World of athletics votes.

Profile photo of camerajuan
    camerajuan
    Participant

Manyonga & Lasitskene for me. Been saying it for ages.

sovietvest
    Participant

Manyonga has been the field athlete I’ve been most excited by. I was in Shanghai and blown away by seeing my first ever 8.6x jump. However, in terms of impact on the all-time list, I rank him below Vetter.

Profile photo of dpickup
    dpickup
    Participant

I’ll go for Vetter & Wlodarczyk

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers