Athletics Weekly | Where to watch UK and World Champs? - Athletics Weekly

Where to watch UK and World Champs?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of luckyspikes LuckySpikes 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of nuvola
    Nuvola
    Participant

Hi all

Not posted for quite some time, but I’m a little stumped as to where the UK champs next week, and world champs in a couple of weekends will be shown on TV (or streaming).

Any assistance?

Googling from a mobile device reveals absolutely nothing apart from the BBC showing the Glasgow gp and IAAF live streaming world indoor tour events. It could be I’m being a bit think, but considering athletics was recently polled as the ‘most exciting’ sport to watch in the UK, the folks in power should be making this info very easily available!

I wonder what this says about the promotion strategy of GB athletics and desire to increase exposure of the sport. They don’t seem to care about much outside of flogging tickets. Little bit disheartening in my view. 😕

Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

The World Indoors will be on the BBC. As for the British indoors – no idea! It’s definitely not on the main BBC channels or the Red Button which leaves as a possibility that it might be online/BBC Sport app or on Facebook or on Youtube.

I agree regarding British Athletics’ promotion strategy. They seem to care about nothing but the big marquee events which probably explains why we don’t have a second-tier circuit of international meetings to speak of –
    the Loughborough & Manchester Internationals are barely worth the name.
    Contrast that with France and even much smaller countries like Belgium, Sweden & Finland who give their athletes a load of opportunities for good international competition at home.

Profile photo of nickp3445
    Nickp3445
    Participant

The UK Champs will be on the BBC website next weekend like last year. Not sure exactly what will be covered (heats, field events etc) but I think it will be on there .

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Profile photo of nickp3445 nickp3445.
    Profile photo of frankiecahill
    frankiecahill
    Participant

Thanks for the info Nick. Wonder if it’s only being covered online or if it will also be available on the iplayer? On a side note, I notice the BUCS Championships are running at exactly the same time as the nationals. Is this the first time this has happened? Seems very odd scheduling.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

… On a side note, I notice the BUCS Championships are running at exactly the same time as the nationals. Is this the first time this has happened? Seems very odd scheduling.

If I recall correctly BUCS were under the impression that the British Champs were going to be on the weekend of 10th Feb and then when they found out that they weren’t it was too late to change the scheduling.

Profile photo of frankiecahill
    frankiecahill
    Participant

Ah ok. Some difficult choices ahead for young athletes then. The last few years of the BUCs indoors have seen some great races, especially in the women’s 1500m. Sarah McDonald, Melissa Courtney & Bobby Clay provided the event with a high top-end standard. Btw love your distance running thread, Lucky! I’m a huge distance running fan too

Profile photo of sidelined
    sidelined
    Participant

Here is the link for watching the trials on the BBC site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/athletics/43066004

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Ah ok. Some difficult choices ahead for young athletes then. The last few years of the BUCs indoors have seen some great races, especially in the women’s 1500m. Sarah McDonald, Melissa Courtney & Bobby Clay provided the event with a high top-end standard. Btw love your distance running thread, Lucky! I’m a huge distance running fan too

Yeah, I first noticed Sarah McDonald at the 2016 BUCS indoors. Very impressive she was too and I’ve followed her progress closely ever since. Sadly, according to fastrunning.co.uk, she has withdrawn from this weekend due to a hamstring niggle which obviously puts her place on the team for Worlds in jeopardy.

I’m not going to maintain the Distance Running thread but will continue to post my thoughts in other appropriate threads. My big tip at the moment is American Karissa Schweizer, one to watch for 2-3 years time, but also now since she’ll be the favourite for both the NCAA 3000 & 5000 indoors in 3 weeks time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers