Athletics Weekly | when coaches are held back - Athletics Weekly

when coaches are held back

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dappergirl DapperGirl 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Participant

When are assistant coaches are held back. Tonight I resigned from my club I was not given a choice. People who are committee members of the club, have put a block on my development to progress to club coach. This they did when a qualified coach had pressure placed on him by assistant coach and committee of the club not to be my mentor. Although this I put down to the fact they feel insecure, because they have limited skills in many aspect of athletics, most of them are parent of athletes so are only have knowledge of one or two events. Because I was a athlete and club since 1970 i coached at all levels.

This club will not progress while committee can run rough shot over coaches. Because they will not have capacity to grow, also athletes will not get the quality training

Profile photo of pegs
    Pegs
    Participant

A coach needs a club like a fish needs a bicycle. No committee should be able to stop you coaching – it’s between you and the athlete. If it weren’t for the comoraderie my athletes get out of the club environment at league meets I’d happily do away with any club links. The only other thing they offer is cheap track access, but the trade off of that is the track being crowded.

I know some clubs do a great job supporting coaches and athletes, but it is by no means a necessity. Put a committed athlete with a sensible and committed coach and you’ll see improvement.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of pegs pegs.
    lonewolf
    Participant

I coached in the 70’s then you had to go through training to become qualified. I think today although it might mean some work on England Athletes, but there should be a three tier of coaching.
    1 Assistant Coach those who never had any experience coaching or competing
    2 Assistant Coach those who had experience in sport who can coach unaided with help when needed
    3 Club Coach
    This will allow those who been Competing or experience, to can run their own group

lonewolf
    Participant

Also has an assistant coach. You are not allowed to coach because you are not insured

Profile photo of daniel
    Daniel
    Participant

Very sorry to read about the bad experience that led to you resigning from your club. Based on what you are described, its quite concerning that a club would have that attitude. I hope you have been able to continue coaching in the intervening period.

Having recently been through the coaching pathway myself, my experience is the opposite. My club paid for and supported my training all the way through, and additional support from other coaches and England athletics has been brilliant. The coaching opportunities that have opened up are beyond what I could have expected, its just a matter of finding time to fit it all in!

lonewolf
    Participant

Been down in Bath. While down there went to a meet. I was really impressed the way Bath club was run. Coaches was in control, I saw one coach telling a committee member. That one of the athletes would not being competing in relay, because he felt the athlete was tired. The committee of the club was not happy. But it showed the coach and not the club officials was running the shoots when it came to athletes. Shame club in Staffordshire do not do the same

Profile photo of sportmanager
    sportmanager
    Participant

Coaches are held back when they get to the higher stages aas the existing coaches end up poaching their athletes with the promise of support or simply because the parents and athletes don’t know any better. To give an example as well as talking to a few friends/coaches on the first day of the trials this weekend I also over head some disgruntle d throws coaches complaining about the standard of performance and the people who are in charge who are very clicky and have duped youngsters especially parents about how good they are an how bad everyone else is. At least three developing throwers this weekend have been told that there is nobody in this country who can coach to the elite level – how would they know? Because they were told by certain members of the coaching staff who supposedly advise UKA having been monumental failures as coaches themselves and UKA seem to take great stock in their opinion. Backley said that th javelin coaches were fragmented which seem to be a coded way of saying it is in a mess and throwers are being directed to the wrong coaches. It is been like this for while as well. WHen there was success and now there is not – there has to be a problem

lonewolf
    Participant

This what happened to me. Clubs I went to wanted to know how many Athletes, not my skills I had. I coached in 70’s the rule was that you did not poached from others.

Profile photo of dappergirl
    DapperGirl
    Participant

i try coaching on my friends last year. becuse our coach is not around :)

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of dappergirl dappergirl.
    DapperGirl
    Participant

there’s a new rules playing athletics ?

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of dappergirl dappergirl.
    DapperGirl
    Participant

what if your coach is not around and the assistant coach . what the players need to do?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers