Athletics Weekly | The USA's next female distance star will be ... - Athletics Weekly

The USA's next female distance star will be …

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of luckyspikes luckyspikes 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

Karissa Schweizer, currently in her final year at the Univeristy of Missouri. This young lady is super-impressive.

Hands up if you thought I was going to say Katelyn Tuohy (16 year-old “phenom”) ?

I’ve been following Karissa Schweizer since she surprised and won the 2016 NCAA Cross Country with a big kick, coming from 20m down in the last 200. She then won the NCAA 5000m both indoors and out in 2017. She had a bad day at the 2017 NCAA XC finishing 11th but bounced back in style 2 weeks later beating the XC winner Ednah Kurgat by 2 seconds in an indoor 5000 in 15:17.

This indoor season, however, she really seems to have pushed on and I’m going to put my neck on the line and say she will have a career at least the equal (or better?) of Molly Huddle & Shalane Flanagan.

At the Millrose Games on Saturday she was 0.4 seconds behind Emma Coburn in the 3000 and set a collegiate record (indoors & out) of 8:41.60, beating Jenny Simpson’s 8:42 record.

You can download the video of that 3000 from Millrose here. Karissa is in the all-black kit. See what you think about her stride length which I mention below.

Last week at the Armory Invitational she also ran the 4th fastest all-time collegiate mile (an oft-contested distance in US college), just 1.7 seconds behind Jenny Simpson’s collegiate outdoor record. And she’s not even a miler.

She’s an ungainly runner but a lot of fun to watch (partly for that reason – I enjoy watching ungainly runners in full flight!) Especially when she kicks, she seems to have an extraordinarily long stride for someone who can’t be more than 5 foot 4. Remarkably, her coach at Missouri says they had to do a lot of work in her first year to correct her over-striding!

Don’t let her stride deceive you though. She’s got serious finishing speed. She closed that mile last week in sub-63.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers