Athletics Weekly | The USA's next female distance star will be ... - Athletics Weekly

The USA's next female distance star will be …

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of luckyspikes LuckySpikes 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

Karissa Schweizer, currently in her final year at the Univeristy of Missouri. This young lady is super-impressive.

Hands up if you thought I was going to say Katelyn Tuohy (16 year-old “phenom”) ?

I’ve been following Karissa Schweizer since she surprised and won the 2016 NCAA Cross Country with a big kick, coming from 20m down in the last 200. She then won the NCAA 5000m both indoors and out in 2017. She had a bad day at the 2017 NCAA XC finishing 11th but bounced back in style 2 weeks later beating the XC winner Ednah Kurgat by 2 seconds in an indoor 5000 in 15:17.

This indoor season, however, she really seems to have pushed on and I’m going to put my neck on the line and say she will have a career at least the equal (or better?) of Molly Huddle & Shalane Flanagan.

At the Millrose Games on Saturday she was 0.4 seconds behind Emma Coburn in the 3000 and set a collegiate record (indoors & out) of 8:41.60, beating Jenny Simpson’s 8:42 record.

You can download the video of that 3000 from Millrose here. Karissa is in the all-black kit. See what you think about her stride length which I mention below.

Last week at the Armory Invitational she also ran the 4th fastest all-time collegiate mile (an oft-contested distance in US college), just 1.7 seconds behind Jenny Simpson’s collegiate outdoor record. And she’s not even a miler.

She’s an ungainly runner but a lot of fun to watch (partly for that reason – I enjoy watching ungainly runners in full flight!) Especially when she kicks, she seems to have an extraordinarily long stride for someone who can’t be more than 5 foot 4. Remarkably, her coach at Missouri says they had to do a lot of work in her first year to correct her over-striding!

Don’t let her stride deceive you though. She’s got serious finishing speed. She closed that mile last week in sub-63.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

2 weeks until NCAAs. A new article, Schweizer’s workouts designed to push her to greatness, describing a 3 x 3 x 800 session she did.

Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

I see what you mean, LS. How can a stride of that length be combined with that backward lean?? Reminds me of Scott Overall. I often see him on my local track training with Chris Thompson. Quite a contract: Overall’s upper body is at five to twelve; Thompson’s is at five past. (Possibly not accepted coaching terminology but you get my meaning!).

LuckySpikes
    Participant

I see what you mean, LS. How can a stride of that length be combined with that backward lean?? Reminds me of Scott Overall. I often see him on my local track training with Chris Thompson. Quite a contract: Overall’s upper body is at five to twelve; Thompson’s is at five past. (Possibly not accepted coaching terminology but you get my meaning!).

Yeah, interesting.

I would have thought it would prevent her from developing truly world-class finishing speed but who am I to criticise. Whatever she’s doing so far seems to be working!

I can see her breaking the collegiate indoor 5000 record at NCAAs (Emily Sisson’s 15:12), especially as she should be pushed very hard by Ednah Kurgat. Schweizer won it last year in 15:19 (video highlights to download here).

I expect she’ll be in the 3000 as well (she came 2nd last year) and is 14 seconds faster than the 2nd ranked runner (Elinor Purrier). But, she’ll need to force the pace I think to avoid getting outkicked by Dani Jones again (video highlights to download here) or by Purrier.

Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

Do try subscribe to Flotrack, LS? It’s a bit pricey but their coverage of the US scene – especially the collegiate stuff is fantastic. I watched the NCAA XC live this year on their site.

Talking a good US distance runners – I’ve just seen Amy Cragg’s time in Tokyo: under 2:22!!

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Do try subscribe to Flotrack, LS? It’s a bit pricey but their coverage of the US scene – especially the collegiate stuff is fantastic. I watched the NCAA XC live this year on their site.

Talking a good US distance runners – I’ve just seen Amy Cragg’s time in Tokyo: under 2:22!!

Yes, I’m going to do that this year from late April to late June (especially now that they also have various World Challenge meetings) and then for a couple of months again for the Cross Country season. 20 dollars a month isn’t it?

Terrific run for Amy Cragg!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers