Athletics Weekly | The 2017 Distance Running Thread Pt 2 - Recap of recent events - Athletics Weekly

The 2017 Distance Running Thread Pt 2 – Recap of recent events

Tagged: 

This topic contains 68 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of luckyspikes LuckySpikes 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 51 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

If there are other girls with the London standard they should be picked ahead of Jo, regardless. She’s no longer competitive and would taking up a space that an improving athlete could have. If not, then I’m all for the sentimental home crowd swansong.

Yep, and I shot Bambi as well.

Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

The only thing we can sure of is that Mo will perform excellently and our other British 10K athletes will bring up the rear; if that is the basis of selecting the above moderate athletes, just so that we can put them in the British team, so be it. Not much of a point,for me.

I disagree. If they’ve got the qualifying standard and meet the other criteria they should be on the team. Exposure to such high level competition can only be a good thing for athletes’ future development (though this applies less to Jo at her age) and I think there’s great merit in athletes going to these championships and producing a PB. Imagine how small our team would be if we only took potential medalists.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

If there are other girls with the London standard they should be picked ahead of Jo, regardless. She’s no longer competitive and would taking up a space that an improving athlete could have. If not, then I’m all for the sentimental home crowd swansong.

Yep, and I shot Bambi as well.

This year I don’t think she’d be taking up anyone’s spot. Looking at who’s injury-free and willing, I think we’re down to just Jo & Charlotte Taylor being in contention for a spot alongside Beth.

Profile photo of mysterybrick
    MysteryBrick
    Participant

The only thing we can sure of is that Mo will perform excellently and our other British 10K athletes will bring up the rear; if that is the basis of selecting the above moderate athletes, just so that we can put them in the British team, so be it. Not much of a point,for me.

Totally ridiculous attitude that has negative outcomes. We see this with the European U23 Champs – there, if every country operated on the same selection standards as British Athletics the Men’s 800m would have 4 entrants (as opposed to 29 having the European standard), the Men’s 400m hurdles would have 3 entrants (as opposed to 30 having the European standard) etc. etc.

The adage was ‘no-one ever jumped higher by making the bar lower’ but if no-one is ever allowed to jump then you are nowhere at all…

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

I disagree. If they’ve got the qualifying standard and meet the other criteria they should be on the team. Exposure to such high level competition can only be a good thing for athletes’ future development (though this applies less to Jo at her age) and I think there’s great merit in athletes going to these championships and producing a PB. Imagine how small our team would be if we only took potential medalists.

I never stated only take potential medalists so I would appreciate it not being quoted or it being inferred that is what I believe. I see little point in taking athletes who will be lapped probably. However there are the usual emotionalists on all Forums, and lets face it , its SO fashionable.
    If we take only potential medalists the team will be down to a dozen, maybe, which is impossible to contemplate , especially this year..
    I have always been dismayed by reading on this Forum the posts that suggest that somehow you are a more genuine lover of athletics if you believe in pumping up the team numbers. Will never agree with that.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

I never stated only take potential medalists so I would appreciate it not being quoted or it being inferred that is what I believe. I see little point in taking athletes who will be lapped probably. However there are the usual emotionalists on all Forums, and lets face it , its SO fashionable.
    If we take only potential medalists the team will be down to a dozen, maybe, which is impossible to contemplate , especially this year..
    I have always been dismayed by reading on this Forum the posts that suggest that somehow you are a more genuine lover of athletics if you believe in pumping up the team numbers. Will never agree with that.

I wasn’t saying you were advocating that we only take potential medalists but my comment was more about, “Where do we draw the line?” Well, the line is already drawn – it’s the qualification standards that have been set by British Athletics, standards that are largely similar to those adopted in other countries because mostly they’re just using the standards set out by the IAAF. Most of those standards are sufficiently tough that it means we don’t and won’t have full teams in every event.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

It’s still relatively early in the season but I feel it’s time to take stock of the British races to qualify for Worlds in London!

4:10.97 Katie Snowden (pre-2017 best of 4:13.06; I think her better chance would be in the 800 where she’s closer to the standard)

Well, that’s me told! A huge 4:05.29 PB & WCh standard for Katie at Watford last night!

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

I think we will be in for some strange results in the men and womens 800m/1500m in two weeks time at the Trials.
    The 1500m men at the top are largely waiters especially if young Kerr comes over ; I do not see them as having the confidence to take a full last lap to burn off anyone, but you never know.
    The womens 1500m will presumably have LM in the race and she might turn the screw over the last lap. Is she likely by the way to also run a 5k over the same w/e???Surely not.
    Butchart beaten last night by Tom Marshall ;did not expect that.!!

I pay not too much attention to one off paced races whether BMC or DL in the context of the globals, as the latter are extraordinary tough with 3 races of world class people.
    JJ showed good strength last night; likely to find that 4.05 is opening round heat times with the usual mad rush in the last 100m.

Did posters notice that at Huelva last night the Botswanans had another quality 400m man in Nkobolo at 45.34. They should have a good long relay squad if they are all fit.

Profile photo of mysterybrick
    MysteryBrick
    Participant

I think we will be in for some strange results in the men and womens 800m/1500m in two weeks time at the Trials.
    The 1500m men at the top are largely waiters especially if young Kerr comes over ; I do not see them as having the confidence to take a full last lap to burn off anyone, but you never know.
    The womens 1500m will presumably have LM in the race and she might turn the screw over the last lap. Is she likely by the way to also run a 5k over the same w/e???Surely not.
    Butchart beaten last night by Tom Marshall ;did not expect that.!!

We are going to be in the fantastic situation where all MD races at the Nationals have a lot riding on them.

M800m: Osagie and Wightman have the standard (although I suspect Wightman will run the 1500m) with Langford 0.01 off and Giles, Bowness and Rimmer not a million miles off. I think Langford and Giles as a minimum will run 1:45.90 in the next 2 weeks, so there will be 3 men minimum going for the places, with only top 2 guaranteeing selection

M1500m: O’Hare, Grice, Wightman and Kerr have the standard. 4 into 3 doesn’t go, and given Kerr especially has a stonking kick I think someone, likely O’Hare, will have to take it from a bit further out than normal (won’t just have Grice winding it up in the last 300 to win by 10m).

W800m: Oskan-Clarke and Tracey have the standard. Sharp should get it in the next few weeks, and then we are in a similar situation to the men, with Oskan-Clarke the big favourite but a chance one of the other girls with a sub-2:01 PB makes it interesting.

W1500m: Muir is the huge favourite with Weightmann very likely to get second, so then it is basically a case of whichever athlete with the standard comes 3rd.

Judd, Kerr and Langford would also have the slight consolation of European U23s if they don’t make it.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

I wouldn’t have thought that Laura Muir will do the 1500 at the trials? She has a wildcard into the Worlds because she’s Diamond League champion and so she wouldn’t need to run it. She would need to run the 5000 though if she wants to double in London.

Take her out of the equation and it’s a potentially very close race between 5, 6 or maybe 7 women (Hannah England & Charlene Thomas also?), all fighting for the 3 spots alongside Laura M. A 4:10/4:15 sort of race would, I think, level the playing field a bit regarding Laura Weightman though I’d still fancy her to come out on top.

Elliot Giles, BTW, is entered to race in Dessau tomorrow night and in Copenhagen next Tuesday.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

No standards for our guys in the 10,000 at Leiden yesterday but Ben Connor & Dewi Griffiths were the top 2 Europeans in 6th & 7th, beating Meucci & Ringer. Another PB for Connor, 28:23, a 58s improvement from 2016 and Griffiths, with 28:24, has become consistent in that region.
    Ross Millington was entered but did not start.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Previews of the distance action at the USA Championships are going up on LetsRun.

In the women’s 10,000 tonight, Emily Sisson is bidding to make her first Worlds track team. Coach Ray Treacy says her training partner, Molly Huddle, is in 30:30/30:45 shape with Sisson not far behind.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Galen Rupp didn’t make the 10,000 team. His best chances are in the marathon these days anyway.

Huddle, Infeld & Sisson made the women’s team. All sub-31:30, seriously impressive in 88 degree heat (PBs for the 2 Emilys no less). What’s that worth in much cooler weather? Sub-31?

Emily Infeld keeps on bouncing back. Repeated injuries prior to 2015 (stress fractures etc) nearly led to her giving up the sport and in the last 2 years she’s also had injury-disrupted preparations for the track season, barely racing before the trials. Yet, she’s made the team every time.

With no Ayana or Tirunesh in the 10,000 in London there might be another medal up for grabs in London (“on your inside, Molly!”) However, although the Ethiopian team isn’t looking that strong, the Kenyans might bring the likes of Cheruiyot & Aprot.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Whoaaahhh! 15 yo Ella McNiven (Liverpool Harriers) ran 4:15.44 at Watford tonight, catapulting her to #4 on the all-time UK Under-17 list, just over a second behind #1 Jess Judd.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Startling situation for Germany & France in the women’s flat middle-distances …

As it stands, Germany only have Klosterhalfen & Hanna Klein qualified for the 800, 1500 or 5000 for London. Hering has only run 2:01.35, Kohlmann seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth and Diana Sujew has only run 4:08.

Without Lamote, off the top of my head France have no-one qualified for the women’s 800, 1500 or 5000!

By comparison, GB should have 9 different female athletes competing in these 3 events in London.

In the men’s 800, Germany have no-one with the standard.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Edit: Germany also have Alina Reh qualified for the 5000. Still only 3 different athletes though.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Andy Vernon is making a last-minute bid to make the 5000 team at Heusden-Zolder this Saturday.

Forgot to mention Ben Connor’s 13:29 and Dewi Griffith’s 13:33 at the Morton Games last week. Very good progress by those two this year. Hopefully we’ll have full 5k & 10k teams at next year’s European Championships.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

(Delayed reaction) Very nice surprise for Marc Scott to make it.

LetsRun are putting up their previews of the World Championship distance events – http://www.letsrun.com/events/2017-iaaf-world-track-and-field-championships-london/ (800m and 10,000m at the time of writing).

LuckySpikes
    Participant

I’ve been away from the forum for a couple of months but note that there’s been no acknowledgement/discussion of recent results so I thought I’d do a bit of that here:

Quite a few surprises at yesterday’s British Cross Challenge in a wet and muddy Liverpool which also served as the trials for the European XC Champs in 2 weeks’ time. Because of that all the fields were pretty loaded.
    The biggest surprise was Emilia Gorecka’s big return to form to win, pulling away from Jess Judd by 7 seconds in the last 400m. Gemma Steel keeps on rolling (3rd). Steph Twell had a bad one (only 9th, 42 seconds down on Gorecka and only 5th Aldershot counter!) Other notable names – Melissa Courtney 15th, Kate Avery 16th in her first race in 18 months, Charlotte Taylor 17th, Laura Weightman 20th, and, on the comeback trail, Lydia Turner (bronze medalist at the 2014 Euro Junior XC) 29th, Jo Moultrie 30th, Adelle Tracey 39th & Hannah England 55th.

Ben Connor won the men’s race – no real surprise there since he’s had a good breakthrough this year. Alex Tueten & Sam Stabler in 2nd & 3rd are starting to make a name for themselves at these events. Maybe some surprise under-performances further down. Dewi Griffiths was 4th, Butchart 5th. Lancashire, Vernon & Goolab filled the 7-9 places.

Full results from Liverpool here …
    Men’s – http://www.thepowerof10.info/results/results.aspx?meetingid=195106&top=5000
    Women’s – http://www.thepowerof10.info/results/results.aspx?meetingid=195106&top=5000&pagenum=5#8.1KXC

The team for the Europeans in Samorin, Slovakia is being announced today. Hopefully, the course will be more exciting than the last 2 years. The last 2 in Eastern Europe (Samokov and Budapest) have been fun though with lots of snow/ice so here’s hoping.

NCAA XC Championships
    Some very good performances by the British ladies in Louisville. Amy-Eloise Neale surprised somewhat to finish 2nd and Charlotte Taylor was 3rd. Alice Wright was 14th and Bethan Knights (a recent-ish transfer to British citizenship through her parentage) was 23rd. The pre-race favourite, Ednah Kurgat, won but 2nd favourite, Karissa Schweizer, was unable to retain her crown having her first bad race in 18 months to finish 11th.
    British men did nothing in a race won by the favourite, Justyn Knight from Canada (2017 London finalist in the 5000).

Manchester Road Race (Connecticut, USA)
    Chris Thompson repeated his 3rd place from last year over the ‘classic’ 4.748 miles distance. He took it out hard, leading by 30m at one point, but was reeled in and finished 4 seconds down on Paul Chelimo.
    Eilish McColgan was 4th in women’s race in 24:16. By comparison Molly Huddle ran 23:56 in 2nd and last year’s race was won by Emily Sisson in 24:03.
    The finish to this one was really bad (see 26:40 onwards of this video) – Huddle & Diriba were doing battle for the win and had to hurdle over a TV cameraman and photographers who were crouching just 5m beyond the finish line. Apparently Huddle hit her shin on one of the cameras. Common sense in short supply there!

Terrific win by Shalane Flanagan in the New York Marathon. She had said it was going to be her last marathon but she now seems to be considering having a crack at Boston next year.

Dewi Griffiths – what a year he’s having! Perhaps putting himself in contention for medals next year? His 2:09:49 in Frankfurt was the first sub-2:10 by a British-born runner since Jon Brown in 2005!

Elinor Kirk made her marathon debut in Florence and got the Welsh A standard for the Commonwealths in 2:36.

Charlotte Purdue ran her 3rd marathon of the year at Saitama in Japan. A few marathon runners are doing that now, perhaps trying to challenge the recent orthodoxy that you can you can only do 2 good marathons per year? She came 4th in 2:30 – Little Miss Consistency since her last 4 marathons have been in the 2:28 to 2:30 range.

Great news for the Highgate Night of the 10,000m PBs which will, in 2018, incorporate the European Cup 10,000m event into the ‘A’ races. There will still be a minimum quota of 15 British athletes in each ‘A’ race which will again serve as the trials for the European Champs.

Viewing 19 posts - 51 through 69 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers