Athletics Weekly | The 2017 Distance Running Thread Pt 2 - Recap of recent events - Athletics Weekly

The 2017 Distance Running Thread Pt 2 – Recap of recent events

Tagged: 

This topic contains 68 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of luckyspikes LuckySpikes 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

I’m replacing my original The 2017 Distance Running Thread which curiously disappeared into the ether a couple of weeks ago.

Here’s the first post of that thread which I still had saved on my computer (yes, I write out my longer posts first on my computer! :mail: )

Happy New Year, everyone!

Just to be clear up front, I don’t intend this thread to intefere with or supercede any threads that may be opened about special events, e.g., the London Marathon, World Championships, Diamond League threads etc.
    It merely exists as a companion to those, allowing other observations, discussion, posting of other interesting results, posting of links for articles/interviews/live streams etc – all of which may not have an obvious or natural home in existing threads on the forum.

Make the thread what you will. It can cover anything from 800m up to the Marathon (even beyond if Ultras are your thing!)

As suggested by the title, I’ll start a new thread for each calendar year (if the thread gains any traction this year).

Some talking points for the year ahead? …

Men’s 800 – Can anyone wrestle a global title from Rudisha? Can Clayton Murphy continue improving to do so? Wither Amos & Aman? Are they ‘done’ or can they roar back this year?

Men’s 1500 – The event I’m most desperate to see Brits doing well in. Given our glorious history in the event it’s a crying shame to see us as also-rans. Can Grice & O’Hare become competitive when it matters? Can Jake Wightman make a step up into 3:33-ish territory?

Men’s 5000 & 10000 – Sir Mo’s final hurrah on the track? He’s said he’ll have a crack at a really fast 5000. How close can he get to Kenny B’s WR? What can Butchart achieve in the 5000? Will other Brits be inspired by Butchart and Callum Hawkins to start making the step up in class?

Men’s Steeple – I’m predicting a few sub-8s this with Kipruto, Jager, maybe Birech. Will Ezekiel Kemboi avenge Mekhissi Bennabad in London?
    I hope that Rob Mullett’s 8:22 last year wasn’t a fluke. A few more performances like that will start to rescue this event from the British doldrums.

Men’s Marathon – What of Nike’s Sub-2 attempt? It robs us of Kipchoge vs Bekele in London in April but hopefully we’ll see them race in London in August.
    Callum Hawkins looks ripe to continue his progression at the championships though he’s unlikely to contend (yet?) at the sharp end of big city marathons?

Women’s 800 – The 2 year moratorium on the intersex issue is up in September I believe. Hopefully the IAAF can make CAS see sense about this.
    This was a terrific, open event in 2015. I want more racing like that from 2018 onwards, not the predictable processions we had last year and will likely get this year.

Women’s 1500 – The most exciting prospect of the year for me is seeing Laura Muir blitz some more Diamond League races. Those London & Paris races were so exhilarating! Can she get a medal at Worlds? Can she go even faster than 3:55.22? Will Dibaba return to dominance?
    Hoping for good things from Sarah McDonald, lovely looking runner, hopefully making the team for London. Maybe something in the 4:03 range from her this year? She’s got good speed – 2:01.1 in a BMC 800 with no-one pushing her in the last 200.

Women’s 5000 – Hoping for WR attempts and/or Ayana-Dibaba head-to-heads galore! It would be fun to see the WR changing hands 2 or 3 times over the course of a season. We haven’t had that in any event (men’s or women’s) for a very long time.
    Steph Twell to go sub-14:50 this year? I think she was in shape for that pre-Rio.

Women’s 10000 – Half of Ayana’s serious opposition may be migrating to the Marathon (see below) so the only question is, if fit, how fast can she go?
    Can Jo Pavey go on defying Father Time? Hoping that Jess Martin (nee Andrews) can build on her great breakthrough year to establish herself in the top 3 Europeans.

Women’s Steeple – If she’s fit, can anyone stop Ruth Jebet? Can she improve on her WR? There’s probably a couple of seconds to come off there, me thinks.
    The less said about the Brits the better!

Women’s Marathon – Cheruiyot and Tirunesh have indicated they’re going to transition to the roads this year. The last I heard they were both slated for London in April. Fascinated to see what they can do at the distance. My best bet is that it won’t go well for one of them and we’ll see her on the line for the 10000 in London.
    Sub-2:29 for Purdue in London in April and a solid Top 20 showing in the Worlds? She’s a plucky little thing. Also rooting hard for Jess Coulson to have an injury-free year and achieve the 2:29 she was on course for in Frankfurt in 2015.

A couple of American-related hunches:
    Emily Sisson to have a breakthrough year in the 10000 – making the US team for London and running low-mid 31 at some point.
    Mary Cain to run 4:09, leading to feverish “She’s back!” discussion on LetsRun.

All in all, I’m optimistic about the state of British distance running. We’ll never recapture the glorious periods of the past but it seems to me that it’s stronger than it’s been for a good number of years.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Might Laura Muir be running the 5000 against Genzebe Dibaba at the Pre Classic?
    From LetsRun’s report of the BAA 5k road race in Boston …
    Huddle will race next at the [5000 in the] Prefontaine Classic in late May. Huddle said that she doesn’t know for sure who else is in the field but believes both Genzebe Dibaba and Laura Muir are entered.

Unfortunately, the race is on the Distance Night the day before the main meeting so watching it live might not be straightforward.

Incidentally, a good result for Lauren Howarth, finishing 5th in that Boston race in 15:39 (won by Buze Diriba in 14:54). Elinor Kirk was 7th in 15:59. Chris O’Hare was 8th in the men’s in 13:46 and Andrew Heyes 9th in 13:47 (won by Ben True in 13:20).

Some dates in the distance running calendar for the rest of the year (other than the World Championships which needs no reminder):

23 Apr – London Marathon
    4 May – Payton Jordan Invitational (Paolo Alto, CA) – Callum Hawkins doing the 10,000?
    13 May – BMC Grand Prix (Solihull)
    20 May – Highgate Harriers Night of the 10,000m PBs (incl. British 10,000m Championships & World Championship trials)
    26 May – Pre Classic Distance Night (Eugene) – Laura vs Genzebe at 5000?
    27 May – BMC Grand Prix (Sportcity, Manchester) – M & W 5000 includes Euro U23/U20 trials)
    28 May – Great Manchester Run (half marathon & 10km)
    10 Jun – European 10,000m Cup (Minsk)
    24 Jun – BMC Grand Prix (Watford)
    28 Jun – Golden Spike meeting (Ostrava) – a men’s 10,000 is being held with Sir Mo entered; Going for a fast time?
    8 Jul – BMC Grand Prix (Loughborough)
    19 Aug – BMC Grand Prix (Trafford)
    10 Sep – Great North Run
    24 Sep – Berlin Marathon
    1 Oct – Great Scottish Run (Glasgow; half marathon (hopefully!))
    7 Oct – ERRA 6 & 4 Stage Relays
    8 Oct – Chicago Marathon
    15 Oct – Great Birmingham Run (half marathon)
    22 Oct – Great South Run (Portsmouth; 10 miles)
    4 Nov – English XC Relay Championships (Mansfield)
    5 Nov – New York Marathon
    10 Dec – European XC Championships (Samorin, SVK)

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Before today only one woman had ever gone sub-2:18 in the marathon but in today’s London Marathon she was joined by Mary Keitany (2:17:01 and a women’s only race WR) and Tirunesh Dibaba, 2:17:56 NR (despite stopping around 35km and almost vomiting). At halfway Keitany was on mid-2:14 pace! Vivian Cheruiyot, on her debut, faded to finish 4th in 2:23:50.
    Some great runs by non-Africans – Lisa Weightman (AUS) 5th in 2:25:15, Laura Thweatt (USA) 6th in 2:25:38 and Jess Trengove (AUS) 10th in 2:27:01.

Britons swept 14th to 16th with Aly Dixon, Charlotte Purdue both sub-2:30 and getting PBs and Tracy Barlow getting a sub-2:31 PB. All three should be on the team for London in August. A 2 minute PB also for the 4th Brit, Tish Jones in 2:34. Jo Pavey dropped out around 16 miles.

Exciting race in the men’s with Kenenisa Bekele falling 18 seconds off the lead by 25km but then rallying and closing to 6 seconds with a few km to go. Wanjiru seemed to be dying for a kilometre or two but got through it and held off Kenny to win in 2:05:48.

In the British race for the remaining 2 WCh places it all changed in the last 10 to 15km leading to some surprises beating the 2:16 standard and making the team. Jonny Mellor faded off a sub-2:11 pace to finish in 2:18. Scott Overall faded to 2:16, Chris Thompson & Andrew Lemoncello faded really badly to 2:24. All of which left the way open for someone in the mass race, Josh Griffiths of Swansea, to finish as first Brit in 2:14:49. Robbie Simpson was 2nd Brit in 2:15:04. He won bronze in the World Mountain Running Championships in 2015.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

False alarm on Laura vs Genzebe in the 5000 at Eugene (blame Molly Huddle!)

However, Laura will be in Eugene with t’other Laura taking part in a stellar 1500 featuring 9 of the Rio finalists plus Hellen Obiri amongst others (list of entries near the bottom).

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Stacey Smith … Remember her? She ran 4:06.8 in 2011, aged 21 I think, and had hopes for London 2012. Then she got injured in early 2012 and was never seen on a startline again … Until now!

Six days ago she ran 4:20 in a mixed 1500 and then just last Sunday she won a road 5k in 16:15.

Here’s her Power of 10.

Profile photo of ibarnett01
    ibarnett01
    Participant

I concur, cautious optimism for UK distance running at the moment. Having said that but there were some desparately disappointing elite British male performances at London. Fair play to Robbie Simpson and Andrew Davies who ran PBs, and you can’t ask for more than that, but a lot of the elites completely blew up in the final 7-10k including Jonny Mellor who at half way was on for a PB of 2.12/2.13, Matt Bond, Jonny Hay and Scott Overall. The exception was Andrew Davies who ran a beautifully paced race to achieve a PB by 1m.40secs. in 16th place. Jonny Hay’s performance seems to be a repeat of all his marathon attempts so far and begs the question as to why he is bothering at this stage of his career. Chris Thommo was never in the race and, presumably, was still struggling with the calf injury that he sustained at the Reading HM, a great shame as every season seems to be blighted by injury – time and tide wait for no man and all that. A great story and performance by Josh Griffiths whose HM PB is over 2:30 slower than Mellor!!

Profile photo of sidelined
    sidelined
    Participant

Jonny Hay has such a great turn of speed I wonder why he’s opting for the marathon? I always thought 5000 was the best distance for him.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Quality fields at the Payton Jordan Invitational on 5th May. A good number of Brits competing including Callum Hawkins in the 10,000 and Lynsey Sharp in the 800. Emilia Gorecka in a very international 5000. My US ‘one-to-watch’ Emily Sisson is in the 10,000. I predict she’ll go 31:15.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Interesting to see that Ross Millington, Andy Vernon & Dewi Griffiths all entered for the 10K. With Payton Jordan being just 2 weeks before Highgate looks like the men’s field could be below par there.

Perhaps with the qualifying time changing from 28:00 for Rio to 27:45 for London these guys feel their best chance is to get a quick time here & assume nobody from the Highgate line up will get it. I think the Brit most likely to get that time is Callum Hawkins though.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Interesting to see that Ross Millington, Andy Vernon & Dewi Griffiths all entered for the 10K. With Payton Jordan being just 2 weeks before Highgate looks like the men’s field could be below par there.

Perhaps with the qualifying time changing from 28:00 for Rio to 27:45 for London these guys feel their best chance is to get a quick time here & assume nobody from the Highgate line up will get it. I think the Brit most likely to get that time is Callum Hawkins though.

Or perhaps they will be racing at Highgate but want to try to get the standard out of the way so they don’t have to chase it afterwards? Either way, sadly, I don’t see any of those 3 getting under 27:45 this year.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

That Women’s Steeple in Doha was only the third time 8 women have gone sub-9:20 in a single race with the place records for 3rd and 4th being smashed by about 5 seconds each. The Berlin WCh in 2009 and Paris in 2016 (Jebet’s WR race) were the other two occasions and 9th in Paris was 9:20-flat.

I think Butchart will be disappointed with his 7:45 in the 3k but it was very hot (32C).

Payton Jordan starts about midnight our time tonight so there’ll be some interesting results to wake up to. However, Lynsey Sharp and Shelayna O-C have scratched from the 8 and 15 respectively.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

A mixed bag for Brits at the Payton Jordan meet. Standout British performance – Rosie Clarke winning the Steeple with a big PB and Worlds qualifier, 9:36.75.
    Callum Hawkins DNF in the 10,000 with a tight hamstring apparently. He went through 5000 in just under 14:00 (a couple of seconds off the leader.)

M 800 section 1
    6 Jamie Webb 1:49.78

W 800 section 2
    1 Adelle Tracey 2:03.96

M 1500 section 1
    1 Eric Jenkins (USA) 3:38.30

2 Chris O’Hare 3:39.05
    3 Robbie Fitzgibbon 3:40.42

W 1500 section 3
    1 Katie Snowden 4:12.21 PB

W 1500 section 1
    1 Karoline Bjerkeli Grovdal (NOR) 4:10.74

5 Sarah McDonald 4:12.05

W 3000 SC section 1
    1 Rosie Clarke 9:36.75 PB

M 5000 section 2
    1 Jack Rayner (AUS) 13:47.41

7 Rob Mullett 13:51.18
    10 Andrew Heyes 13:54.18

M 5000 section 1
    Ross Millington DNF

W 5000 section 2
    1 Heidi See (AUS) 15:22.36

4 Melissa courtney 15:28.95 PB
    5 Lauren Howarth 15:29.26 PB
    9 Calli Thackery 15:39.44
    10 Emilia Gorecka 15:44.34
    13 Elinor Kirk 16:06.87
    16 Jo Moultrie 16:14.74

W 5000 section 1
    1 Sifan Hassan (NED) 15:13.15

5 Eilish McColgan 15:22.12
    13 Charlotte Taylor 15:29.07 PB

M 10,000
    1 Patrick Tiernan (AUS) 27:29.81

9 Andy Vernon 27:58.69
    14 Dewi Griffiths 28:16.07 PB
    Callum Hawkins DNF

W 10,000
    1 Meraf Bahta (SWE) 31:13.06

16 Alice Wright 32:29.28 PB
    20 Sonia Samuels 32:41.19

Full results – http://www.rtspt.com/events/stanford/pjc17/

Profile photo of sidelined
    sidelined
    Participant

What a pity for Eilish McColgan to miss the qualifying mark by 0.12. She has been injured, apparently. It’s good to see Emelia Gorecka up and running again. Great performance by Rosie Clarke.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Great stuff by Rosie Clarke. Having moved to Steeplechase last year she had developed nicely. She was a 4:12 1500 runner, perhaps her performances will encourage others to try the event.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Great stuff by Rosie Clarke. Having moved to Steeplechase last year she had developed nicely. She was a 4:12 1500 runner, perhaps her performances will encourage others to try the event.

England Athletics did set up an initiative a couple of years ago to encourage more to take up the steeple. I might be wrong but I think Rosie took it up as a result of that.

There were a couple of good performances at BUCS last weekend in the 2000 SC by two final-year U20s. Whilst they’re both still a way off international class, Emily Moyes smashed her PB by 37s with a 6:35 CR. She had a big, big sprint finish off the final barrier so there’s probably quite a bit more to come. I saw that she changed coaches to Mick Woods last year so he’s probably seen some potential there. Also, Victoria Weir who has had a great season on the country ran 6:40 in 2nd. Her hurdling technique was poor at times so if she can improve that …
    Here’s the video of that race if you haven’t seen it & are interested (Moyes – blue & white stripes; Weir – red/orange).

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Some pretty good performances at the BMC Grand Prix in Solihull last night:

M 800:
    1 Jake Wightman 1:46.36
    2 Daniel Rowden 1:46.86

W 800:
    1 Alexandra Bell 2:02.39
    2 Sarah McDonald 2:02.47 (Sarah closed up about 20m in the last 200)

W 1500:
    1 Jess Judd 4:11.15
    2 Harriet Knowles-Jones 4:15.66

W 5000:
    1 Louise Small 15:42.27

Full results here.

This coming Saturday is the British 10,000 championships & Trials at Highgate which Vinco will be streaming as usual.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Timetable and start lists (as at 9 May) for the British 10,000 Championships & Trials this coming Saturday at Parliament Hill – https://www.highgateharriers.org.uk/hh_10000_timetable2017.html

Top names in the men’s race – Andy Vernon, Ross Millington, Dewi Griffiths, Ben Connor & Luke Caldwell. Paul Pollock of Ireland is also in the field.

I’d love to be proven wrong but I don’t see anyone but Mo getting the 27:45 standard this year so ultimately this will probably be a race for pride and bragging rights.

For the women the standard is 32:15. I’m fully expecting this to be a more exciting race thaan the men’s, just like the last 2 years. The top GB entrants are Jo Pavey, Jess Martin, Beth Potter, Kate Avery, Charlotte Arter, Elinor Kirk, Katrina Wootton, Sonia Samuels & Lauren Howarth. There’s also 2 strong Portuguese ladies including Jessica Augusto. The big question marks at the moment are the form of Jo Pavey & Jess Martin.

I had half expected to see Eilish McColgan here going for the double but perhaps that 32:10 on her debut at Stanford didn’t fill her with optimism?

A bit annoyed that the US collegiate commitments have prevented both Charlotte Taylor (already with the standard) and Alice Wright (32:29 PB) having a go. Not sure what’s going on with Rhona Auckland – she hasn’t raced for 13 months.

Vinco live streaming at http://www.runjumpthrow.com/fixtures/12008-highgate-harriers-night-of-the-10000m-pbs

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

On a good night with good weather, Vernon could still sneak in a shade under 27:45 – he’s run 27:58 this year. Ben Connor raced a 14:00 on a road 5k that I took part in (I pb’d with 18:59, 30s up on my best, so it was a very fast course!), so can’t see him getting anywhere near.

Weather looks like it will play its part though.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Yeah larkim, maybe Vernon could get the standard here or elsewhere (it seems conditions weren’t ideal at Payton Jordan) but I wouldn’t risk a penny on it.
    I just mentioned Ben Connor as another name, one who had a good winter. Like you, I don’t expect him to contend for the podium. Anything around 28:45 would be a big breakthrough for him.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

I can’t see any of the men hitting the standard either.

Steph Twell has been added to the women’s field. Will be interested to see how she gets on

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Thanks, LadyLoz. Yeah, good to see Steph there.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Mostly positive results for the Brits in action at the Hoka One One Distance Classic in LA, including a debut win at 5000 for Laura Weightman in 15:08.24.

Profile photo of

At the distanceClassic meet last night, Mo was second just behind Centrowitz in low 3.34 territory; a couple of reasonable efforts in second and third in the 800m men by Langford and Osagie.
    The DL meet distance races in a weeks time are stuffed to the gills with great talents but especially in the 5K where Mo is competing against nearly every leading EA runner around.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Good to see O’Hare get a PB & Worlds qualifier finishing 3rd behind Mo. Rob Mullet also ran a worlds qualifying time in the Steeplechase. Quite unusual to have 2 qualifiers in the Chase by mid May.

Also a world QT for Adelle Tracey but Lynsey Sharp was a DNF which is a little worrying

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

At the distanceClassic meet last night, Mo was second just behind Centrowitz in low 3.34 territory; a couple of reasonable efforts in second and third in the 800m men by Langford and Osagie.
    The DL meet distance races in a weeks time are stuffed to the gills with great talents but especially in the 5K where Mo is competing against nearly every leading EA runner around.

Just seen the Pre 5K line up. It’s ridiculously stacked, Kwemoi is the only obvious absentee

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers