Athletics Weekly | SPOTY 2017 - Athletics Weekly

SPOTY 2017

This topic contains 108 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ursus Ursus 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 101 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of occasionalhope
    OccasionalHope
    Participant

I expect they had a replica there, told it was “just in case”.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

Yes, they always have a replica for all potential winners, and a plan B for awarding it to them. A friend of one of the producers was on Facebook reporting their approach.

Must be quite a surreal experience with presenters being rehearsed just in case the winner is in their location rather than in the studio.

Didn’t Andy Murray’s replica fall apart a couple of years ago when they presented it to him?

Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

The peculiar voting habits of the British public continue. I did not see that coming, in fact I thought he had so little chance I voted for Peaty. I think Mo thought as much, otherwise he would surely have made the trip up.

No less than Jess deserved, British heptathlon is in very good shape thanks to her, Denise and Kelly

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Don’t think Mo knew and why would he suspect a win after several disappointments; . Other winners have accepted the award when not on hand; does not really matter.
    Well done Mo; a fitting reward.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Bizarre results all round.

Well done Mo though.

Coach of the year for the sprint relay team. They did well, but really?

The cynics may say that the WC on the BBC was one long advertorial for Mo, that JEH might have been part of the BBC commentary team, that the relay was part of the BBC’s main sports event of the year, that Jonnie Peacock may have just starred in the BBC’s flagship show. But that’s all coincidence to me.

Here’s the Sun’s take. I’ll leave others to form their own views, suffice to say for the first time in 35+ years I didn’t bother watching on Sunday. If it’s right that Froome’s current troubles weren’t even mentioned that’s just ridiculous.

Like Strictly it’s past its sell by date.

Bah humbug!

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

Bizarre results all round.

Well done Mo though.

Coach of the year for the sprint relay team. They did well, but really?

The cynics may say that the WC on the BBC was one long advertorial for Mo, that JEH might have been part of the BBC commentary team, that the relay was part of the BBC’s main sports event of the year, that Jonnie Peacock may have just starred in the BBC’s flagship show. But that’s all coincidence to me.

Here’s the Sun’s take. I’ll leave others to form their own views, suffice to say for the first time in 35+ years I didn’t bother watching on Sunday. If it’s right that Froome’s current troubles weren’t even mentioned that’s just ridiculous.

Like Strictly it’s past its sell by date.

Bah humbug!

Surprised that anybody would link to The Sun. Guaranteed to be boll*cks. And it is.
    Froome’s short interview seemed to have one main question, what was his reaction to the adverse Salbutamol finding? The Sun writer, if you can call him that, must have fallen asleep or relied on a preview.

As for Rea being prominent on BBC, I can’t remember seeing anything of him on BBC until he was nominated. The Superbike world championships is on Eurosport.

As for Strictly being past it’s sell by date, it seems to have become the most popular show on British TV. 13 million plus on Saturday. SPOTY 9.4 million plus on Sunday. Both programmes are going to be bugging the cynics for decades to come. Ho Ho Ho!

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

The Sun article was an automatic pop up on my phone. Honest!

Glad Froome’s little local difficulty was discussed. Would’ve been astonishing if it hadn’t been.

Know nothing about Rea. My BBC jibe was a response to Larkimn’s earlier assertion:

Yep. Disproving the “athletics is dead in the public consciousness” theories.

I don’t think it does anything of the sort, unfortunately.

As for Strictly being past it’s sell by date, it seems to have become the most popular show on British TV. 13 million plus on Saturday. SPOTY 9.4 million plus on Sunday. Both programmes are going to be bugging the cynics for decades to come.

Utterly mystifying. Both should have taken the Fawlty Towers route and gone out at the top. Which was about 30 and 8 years ago respectively.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

We can’t have it both ways surely Ursus. Even just looking at this thread, we were concluding that the British voting population (from thje 9.4 million audience) would automatically pick Joshua, or at the very least Hamilton, for SPOTY with Mo having no earthly chance. As it turns out, his achievements were the most popular one when voted on. Surely room for enthusiasm, even if we’re just concluding that the typical BBC viewer still considers athletics to be an important sport and Mo worthy of recognition.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Pleased Mo won, but I don’t attach any great significance to it. From Brexit to Joe McFadden I’ve long since given up trusting the great British public with a vote. :yahoo:

With Rutherford on the wane and Jess, Mo and Bolt gone it will be interesting to see what sort of attendances / media coverage we get at both domestic meets and DLs.

Viewing 9 posts - 101 through 109 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers