Athletics Weekly | SPOTY 2017 - Athletics Weekly

SPOTY 2017

This topic contains 57 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ursus Ursus 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of irishman
    irishman
    Participant

Froome is going for the World Time Trial this week. Historically the Triple Crown has been the pinnacle in terms of ‘great seasons’, and only achieved legendarily twice, Merckx and Roche.

That triple crown, the classic one is Giro, Tour, World Road Race

But I would suggest that the words ‘triple crown’ may start to buzz if he pulls off the Tour, Vuelta, World Time Trial (It’s a course with a final steep climb, so it arguably suits him more than usual – personally, I think Domoullin wins it, and we get set for an epic Demoullin-Froome-Quintana-Landa Tour de France next year)

But if he wins the WTT, Froome’s 8 week alternative Triple Crown will be arguably similar to the Wimbledon, Olympics, ATP final triple by Murray last year, and he has a chance to win it.

For me, our most dominant sportsperson, currently, is Peaty – he is several classes above, and could well win a long string of gold medals in his event (though I DID not one of the whiley old Brazilians worked out his technique at the worlds, copied it, and swam a superfast silver). The achievement of the year is without Question Froome’s Tour-Vuelta double – providing he doesn’t trip a WADA radar, in years to come that will be considered legendary. The favourite, in my book, is Anthony Joshua for the iconic Klitschko fight. Mo is the sentimental winner for me, not least because BBC will have rights to show both Worlds races and diamond league final, and that’s a very handy narrative. And of course, never count out the single minded blinkeredness of the petrol heads if Hamilton gets the F1 title.

Given usual BBC checklist, that’s 5 straight able bodied men, 3 of whom are BAME. which makes the selection of the ‘also rans’ straightforward, I think. I’d guess Tom Daley (who might have an outside chance of a podium), Hannah Cockroft, At least one of the England women team sports captains, probably cricket, Joe Root and a Lion. If they slip beyond 10 Bianka Walkden, CJ Ujah, Ellie Downie and depending on the Worlds coming up Max Whitlock are possibles.

Profile photo of irishman
    irishman
    Participant

Of course the irony is that Froome would almost certainly have won that 2012 tour if he hadn’t been forced to ride for Wiggins, a role which may have also cost him a Vuelta. Wiggins range of achievements – track to grand tour – is amazing, but Froome is a class apart on the roads.

One day Froome will be superseded by someone with stronger legs. But between the ears the guy’s as hard as nails, with a real winner’s mentality. He doesn’t court the media, do plucky loser or cry in public, so will probably never win SPOTY.

Wiggins bredth matches up to Froome’s depth – Wiggins ability to turn world class 4k indoor time trials into a Tour win, and 2 other GT podiums, and then back again is genuinely astonishing – only Coppi and Anquetil come close, even Merckx on the track was almost exclusively a six day man. Froome does modern GTs. That’s his thing. He wouldn’t necessarily even have thrived in the less predictable style of GT in the 80’s. But what he does – that summit finish-TT combo, he does with rare strength, and mental hardness last seen in the likes of Sean Kelly. A hard comparison, but one that Froome has not gotten a fair shake from.

OR as it’s said in the old proverb, the fox knows many things, the hedgehog knows one thing, but knows it well.

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

I think Ben Stokes might have just ruled himself out of contention!

From what I just witnessed on the BBC News there is no way he will be on the Ashes tour, either.
    In fact if I had my way his loutish behaviour would rule him out of any England squads for the next couple of years.

What a numb-nut.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Quite. Another addition to a lengthening rap sheet. Fabulous cricketer, but….

And to prove our own sport isn’t immune from idiots, have a google of “Jason Lobo voyeur”. Heading for some quality time at one of HM’s hotels. Quite sad really.

Sportsmen aren’t Gods, they have the same frailities and problems as the rest of us. Sometimes we forget that when discussing their performances.

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

I think Ben Stokes might have just ruled himself out of contention!

From what I just witnessed on the BBC News there is no way he will be on the Ashes tour, either.
    In fact if I had my way his loutish behaviour would rule him out of any England squads for the next couple of years.

What a numb-nut.

Obviously it looks bad, but I’d prefer to wait for the whole story before reaching a conclusion about the Ashes Tour.

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

Laps

Can you imagine the fun the Aussies would have with Stokes if he goes?
    They would eat him alive. Fans and players alike.

Whether he goes or not might not even be up to the selectors anyway.

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

True Steve

It would be a really good lesson.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

My guess is there’ll be a criminal conviction, but no custodial sentence. But it could take a while to come before the courts and its likely that the ECB would impose some sort of post conviction ban as well, possibly a couple of tests. Might be in everyone’s interests to just stand him down regardless.

Suspect anything the authorities do may pale into insignificance compared to the reaction of the lady becoming Mrs Stokes in a couple of weeks.

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers