Athletics Weekly | SPOTY 2017 - Athletics Weekly

SPOTY 2017

This topic contains 87 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of larkim larkim 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Apparently there’s already a campaign to get Hero the Hedgehog nominated. How brilliantly British would that be? Given the recent propensity for perverse voting, I reckon he’d walk if it he could get on the list. Certainly wins hands down on the personality stakes; cue annual SPOTY personality v achievement argument.

Should members of the Erinaceinae family be unreasonably excluded, Froome’s case would surely be unarguable if he could pull off la Vuelta.

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

Mo is a shoe-in, surely, this year?

Profile photo of occasionalhope
    OccasionalHope
    Participant

I don’t know; I think he’s a dead cert for a nomination, and a lot of blah at the ceremony, but I’m not sure if he can actually win it.

If his marathon career takes off and he ever manages to win the London Marathon, THEN he’d win SPOTY.

They should invite Hero to the ceremony, he (or she? could Hero be a fenale hedgehog? it’s a girl’s name in Shakespeare) could do a routine during the opening credits.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

I’ve said it before – Mo won’t win and it will be because of a subtext of racism / anti-immigration. It’s wrong, but that’s just the way it is.

Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

I’ve said it before – Mo won’t win and it will be because of a subtext of racism / anti-immigration. It’s wrong, but that’s just the way it is.

And I haven’t read a single piece on him in the mainstream press in the last few months that hasn’t referred to a cloud hanging over him due (mainly) to the Salazar connection. What none of these journalists seem to get is that Mo cannot prove he’s clean. So they’ll keep bringing up guilt by association and criticising him for not coming up with answers that satisfy them. It never occurs to them that no answer could satisfy them.

I actually think that anti-Muslim sentiment is a bigger factor than the anti-immigration factor.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

Yep. I was delighted to see Farah and Barshim last night paying their respects in their customary way after Mo’s race, and whilst no end of US sprinters make a Christian sign before and sometimes after races, I’m sure their gesture last night rankled with more as a consequence of the faith background it comes from.
    You’re right to flag the Salazar issue too. Like it or not, there is a factual position that there are active questions being asked of Salazar in a more public way than might be appropriate, and that is fuelling an air of suspicion, when in truth we should accept that all athletes, all of the time are being suspected of malfeasance as otherwise there’d be no need for OOC testing or post-comp testing. Mo will never be able to prove the negative, and once the accusation, subtle or explicit, is out there it can’t be taken back.
    When Mo decided his road name would he Mohamed I was delighted personally, as it (hopefully) forces some parts of the UK press to use in positive scenarios a name with all of its faith connections which they would much rather associate with negativity than positivity.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Mo won’t win due to reasons outlined by others above. He might make top 3 this year but can’t see past Anthony Joshua for the main award.

4×1 relay boys for the team award?

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

*In argumentative mode* Joshua’s fought once this year narrowly beating a geriatric, while Mo returned his worst global results in years. Both in front of massive, partisan home crowds.

Larkim, I’ve never bought into your race argument on Mo. Froome, whose achievements have been pretty monumental, has fared just as badly, if not worse. Although rent a crowd will cheer their hearts out while Mo is running, maybe we just need to face up to the fact that the British public just aren’t that interested in distance running. I’m an athletics fan, respect Mo greatly, but I’ve never voted for him.

As I say, if Froome wins la Vuelta, he has my vote.

Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

And I haven’t read a single piece on him in the mainstream press in the last few months that hasn’t referred to a cloud hanging over him due (mainly) to the Salazar connection. What none of these journalists seem to get is that Mo cannot prove he’s clean. So they’ll keep bringing up guilt by association and criticising him for not coming up with answers that satisfy them. It never occurs to them that no answer could satisfy them.

I actually think that anti-Muslim sentiment is a bigger factor than the anti-immigration factor.

There seems to be one group who criticise him for not running times that compare with the all time best and another group who think he’s tainted by association. Logic dictates that if he were doping he’d be much more likely to be amongst the quickest of all time.

Salazar is by no means squeaky clean but most of his other athletes haven’t exactly set the world alight.

Profile photo of sidelined
    sidelined
    Participant

Ursus, I think you’re missing Larkim’s point. It’s not about race itself, it’s about Mo being a Muslim and an immigrant in an increasingly xenophobic Britain. Froome is deemed inauthentic by some because he was born in Africa. He can’t be called an immigrant because he lives in Monaco. I think more people actually warm to Mo than to Froome, but I don’t think either of them will win. It’ll probably be some rugby player or cricketer I’ve never heard of. I think Tom Daley will also be nominated. He went from meltdown at the Olympics to World Champ this year – that’s the kind of narrative people like.

OccasionalHope
    Participant

The swimmer Adam Peaty has to be a contender too.

I’m totally behind our 4×1 guys getting Team, but fear some football team will do it.

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

Like Ursus I have never bought into the religion/immigrant line as the reason for Mo not winning SPOTY. The negative media doesn’t help but shouldn’t stop him if the sport itself gets behind him? I am always surprised by how often people reach for some negative reason why something has happened in sport. Mo hasn’t won SPOTY before because there were contenders from more popular TV sports, campaigns with a lot of momentum or more meritorious candidates. GB sport has gone through a golden period throwing up loads of contenders most years. This year looks thinner.

At this early stage Mo seems to stand a chance. Joshua is odds on favourite. The title world heavyweight champion has a lot of clout ;-), but regard for his achievement will surely fade a bit by December. Froome has to be a strong contender. Hamilton will go close if he wins the championship again. Peaty is unlikely despite his status in his sport. Defoe, second favourite with most bookies, is ridiculous.

OccasionalHope
    Participant

he’s also always had rivals within athletics, Jess and/or Greg so possible split votes. this year he’s the only possible solo candidate from the sport.

sovietvest
    Participant

I want to live in the country Laps inhabits. Sadly, I’ve lost count of the times people I would expect be tolerant and non – racist have openly told me they don’t really consider Mo British. In addition, anti-Muslim sentiment is growing in the UK and it would be strange if that did not have an impact on a popularity contest like SPOTY.

We’ll see.

Anyway, much as I personally love Mo and will vote for him, I think if it were about sporting excellence and achievement you’d have to give it to Peaty.

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

I want to live in the country Laps inhabits. Sadly, I’ve lost count of the times people I would expect be tolerant and non – racist have openly told me they don’t really consider Mo British. In addition, anti-Muslim sentiment is growing in the UK and it would be strange if that did not have an impact on a popularity contest like SPOTY.

We’ll see.

Anyway, much as I personally love Mo and will vote for him, I think if it were about sporting excellence and achievement you’d have to give it to Peaty.

Soviet
    You obviously know a lot of idiots. ;-)
    Personally I would have voted for others than Mo up to now because they’re achievements were greater. Mo would be at the top of my list this time, followed by Froome and Peaty. If Froome wins the Vuelta on top of the Tour that is a phenomenal achievement and it would have to be him, African background and all. The sport has to get solidly behind Mo to give him a chance, and there may not be enough Athletics people who give a damn about SPOTY. Not sure that race and religion impinge on individual popularity that much. There seem to be people in many walks of life, of different races and religions that are popular in the UK, whatever the problems of the world may be.

Profile photo of irishman
    irishman
    Participant

The swimmer Adam Peaty has to be a contender too.

I’m totally behind our 4×1 guys getting Team, but fear some football team will do it.

Lions, mate. Drawn series in NZ almost guarantees them that prize – it shouldn’t, but it will. Pity, as there’s actually several worthy possibles – Englands women’s Cricket, Rugby and Football teams have all done very well, the James Guy led 4 x 200 free swimmers along with the 4 x 100m boys of course. Arguably Saracens are there and there abouts. Personally, I’d vote for Adam, Danny, Nethaneel and Chihinju, becaquse the 4 x 1 is an iconic event, but The Lions will win as sure as eggs is eggs.

On individuals, Murray has won three of the last four, he’s gonna leave a big hole. If Froome wins Vuelta, he might challenge Joshua. Others I think will list would include Peaty, Ellie Downie, Tom Daley, Aled Davies, Hannah Cockroft, Farah, Joe Root, Warburton, and two of the three women’s team captains.

Young SPOTY will quite likely be Freya Anderson, I suspect – BBC aren’t stupid, and she’s in line to be absolutely huge over next few years in swimming.

Coach should be Christian Malcolm, but will be Warren Gatland. Mel Marshall has an outside chance.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Since when was this useless silly award anything but an opportunity, certainly since the British public were allowed to choose the top 3 etc., to confirm to all real fans of sport in this country that it means nothing at all; voted by people who have no knowledge of or a passing interest in sport.
    Gives the BBC a chance to get a bit of coverage and a few poxy interviews with those attending.

The medias cockeyed ideas about sport and its coverage is laughable and always has been.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

It is largely a pointless exercise, I don’t disagree. Though it does at the very least give the opportunity to the sports in the limelight to raise their profile, even if it is a very “in the moment” opportunity.

And with athletes having won 17 of the 62 annual awards, getting recognition of individual achievement through that award has been a good way for athletics to remain in the public consciousness outside of Olympic or championship periods.

sovietvest
    Participant

We’ll see.

Soviet
    You obviously know a lot of idiots. ;-)
    Personally I would have voted for others than Mo up to now because they’re achievements were greater. Mo would be at the top of my list this time, followed by Froome and Peaty. If Froome wins the Vuelta on top of the Tour that is a phenomenal achievement and it would have to be him, African background and all. The sport has to get solidly behind Mo to give him a chance, and there may not be enough Athletics people who give a damn about SPOTY. Not sure that race and religion impinge on individual popularity that much. There seem to be people in many walks of life, of different races and religions that are popular in the UK, whatever the problems of the world may be.

Laps,
    How dare you call my Father-in-Law an idiot!!

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

It has become a meaningless award since the public were invited to vote.

As long as Wimbledon remains the jewel in the crown of BBC’s sports coverage then as long as Andy wins in SW London the trophy is his. Simple, really. If he wins again this year (out of a sympathy vote for having to limp his way through the tournament) then I’ll never tune in again. Neither will I watch again if Hamilton wins as a result of the Murray ‘failure’ this year.

It needs to be a panel of sporting experts properly evaluating whats happened over the year.
    Then the real achievers (like Adam Peaty) would have a chance.

As it stands its little more than a joke these days.

Profile photo of taffy
    Taffy
    Participant

In which year that he won, did Murray not deserve to win? Twice an olympic gold medallist, Plus a silver from the mixed, helped us win the Davis cup ( without him we would struggle to remain in the elite group), world number 1, twice a Wimbledon winner and he won the US open.

I’m not a fan of Hamilton or F1 but many sports fans are.

Mo previously suffered by having Jess and perhaps Greg up against him. ( perhaps the odd para athlete)

Peaty has a great personality and is very patriotic. But he won in only one Olympic event and got a silver in the other. The other event he excels at is a non Olympic one.

For me, if he wins the Vuelta, I hope Frome wins SPOTY. If he does the double he will be the first rider since the 1970’s to do so. Several greats have failed to do so.

I thinks it is highly condescending to state that those that vote know nothing about sport. Perhaps unlike some on here , they like many sports.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

The public have always been allowed to vote in SPOTY for the main award since it started back in the 50s, it’s what makes it different to other awards which are decided by ‘experts’.

Profile photo of mrme
    MrMe
    Participant

In which year that he won, did Murray not deserve to win?

2015, contributing to the Davis cup, was not the defining sporting moment of that year. Would have a good year for Mo’s achievements to be recognized.

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

In which year that he won, did Murray not deserve to win?

2015, contributing to the Davis cup, was not the defining sporting moment of that year. Would have a good year for Mo’s achievements to be recognized.

I’d say Murray’s was one of the greatest British sporting achievements. Without which he wouldn’t have been a contender in SPOTY that year. Winning the Davis Cup virtually single handed, turning GB’s tennis record of failure right around got the public recognition it rightfully deserved. On the way winning all eight of his singles matches joining two tennis greats in that feat. As far as I’m concerned, and even though I dislike tennis, Murray has deserved all three SPOTY wins for outstanding achievements. He won’t be close to the podium this year. Current odds 150/1.

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

Laps,
    How dare you call my Father-in-Law an idiot!!

:-)
    Discussing sport, particularly football, with my dear old father-in-law was an exercise in banging your head against a brick wall. A debate about SPOTY, almost anything really, would have taken us back to the 1950s and beyond.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers