Athletics Weekly | Ruth Jebet - Athletics Weekly

Ruth Jebet

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ursus Ursus 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of occasionalhope
    OccasionalHope
    Participant
    Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

Oh, jeez.

OccasionalHope
    Participant

Always disappointing to hear this kind of news (admittedly not confirmed yet but I wouldn’t think the Guardian would report it unless they were pretty confident).

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Always disappointing to hear this kind of news (admittedly not confirmed yet but I wouldn’t think the Guardian would report it unless they were pretty confident).

Agreed but, on the other hand, it’s good that they’re catching (some of) the cheats.

OccasionalHope
    Participant

Agreed. The disappointment is really that some people are still trying to cheat.

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

On the subject of drugs…..

Very sad to wake up to the accusations flying around at Wiggins and Farah.

I hope they are ‘innocent’ and just using the system as it stands. I think it would be good for a top spokesman to speak on behalf of British Cycling. Honestly and frankly, with no spin.
    If we need to change things then we need to change things.Is it enough to say we are ‘within the rules’?

LuckySpikes
    Participant

I had a gut feeling there was something fishy about her. She never seemed that talented, and her performances were a yo yo of mediocrity.

Hang on, are we talking about an world record holder with a dubious coaching background who is sometimes unbeatable but sometimes totally off the pace?

I see what you did there, MysteryBrick. ;-)

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

On the subject of drugs…..
    Very sad to wake up to the accusations flying around at Wiggins and Farah.

I hope they are ‘innocent’ and just using the system as it stands. I think it would be good for a top spokesman to speak on behalf of British Cycling. Honestly and frankly, with no spin.
    If we need to change things then we need to change <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>things.Is</span> it enough to say we are ‘within the rules’?

Steve

As far as I can see this is all stale news. All reported and chewed over at the time of House of Commons hearings. All lacking firm evidence of wrong doing.

Frankly it is ridiculous to expect teams and competitors to adopt some moral high ground and not take advantage of rules that allow medical exemptions or some other gains, if the rules are there. Top coaches will push rules to their legal limit. However it’s no bad thing that British Cycling, Sky and others have had a shot across their bows. Sky stupid to begin with setting themselves up as moral leaders in a sport riddled with a drugs history which might take decades to completely overcome. That proved impossible to live up to and media will have their revenge, apparently for ever.

If British Cycling have any sense they will say as little as possible. Anything that is added just gives the media yet another excuse to repeat the same innuendo and demands.

The way I see it the very worst that Sky could have been guilty of is that the jiffy bag contained triamcinolone administered to Wiggins without applying for a TUE, a TUE which they would have granted if applied for anyway. Not exactly the stuff of major rule violation in a rational world. However the media do not inhabit a rational world and get hysterical when they think they have been lied to and can’t nail the culprit. Whether triamcinolone should ever have been available via a TUE is another matter. If the TUE system is overhauled or tightened up as a result of this, all the better.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of laps laps.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of laps laps.
    SteveK26
    Participant

What worries me most, Laps, is that all this need for asthma medication is a smokescreen.

Too many top athletes seem to suffer from this dibilitating condition. Far too many. Its very convenient.

(I’m talking globally not just UK)

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

That is very true Steve. Undoubtedly bad for the credibility and image of sport.
    Do you sacrifice severe asthmatics who would then not be able to compete at all, in order to stop those who may be exploiting the situation?
    In my world, yes. In this world, I don’t see it happening.

Profile photo of biggut
    Biggut
    Participant

I don’t think the asthma issue is as big as everybody makes out. I reckon the reason it’s more prevalent in the sporting population is that the impact of asthma doesn’t always interfere with living a normal life, but would sure as hell be noticed in an elite athlete. How many people in everyday life push their bodies to the point where a 1-2% impact of their breathing would be noticed? But sportsmen and women do it all the time and are often closely monitored.

Secondly I would point out that salbutamol inhalers are not shown to provide any benefit to people who are not asthmatic, so why would you apply fir one if you didn’t need one.

I’ve been asthmatic since a very young age. After I stopped running I didn’t have a serious attack for years. I started back in spring 2016 and by the autumn I was needing regular medication.

SteveK26
    Participant

BigGut

Good points.
    I used to train very hard on the roads and couldn’t help going for PB’s virtually on every training run. Sometimes I would be ‘wheezy’ afterwards for a short time. Never considered I had asthma, never considered getting medication.
    Had I been ‘elite’ (with a coach) I guess the subject of medication might have come up. But my view is I never needed it. Hence my view that its a condition of convenience in a lot of cases.

Laps

On balance, and taking into account the present arguments, I agree with your personal stance. But like you I think we are stuck with it now.

Profile photo of ibarnett01
    ibarnett01
    Participant

An interesting article on Salbutamol use related to the Chris Froome case.

The truth behind Chris Froome’s doping

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

I don’t know whether the points made in that article are true or not.
    What it doesn’t address, which is the key point in the Froome case, is why an athlete being tested clean every day and knowing that he is certain to be tested should suddenly test at double the allowed limit? If Froome can convince the UCI that there were legitimate reasons for that he will be in the clear. If not he will get a ban and lose the Vuelta title. Either way the accusations made in the article are irrelevant.

Therefore the guy is just making general comments about Salbutamol abuse in cycling. It sounds quite likely but he is choosing to focus on one of the most tested athletes in sport.

SteveK26
    Participant

What to make of the BBC website story covering Muir’s relationship with Dibaba?

Its a little uneasy to say the least, which I never realised before. Hassan as well.

The sooner Aden is found guilty the better. Then we will see what happens to Dibaba going forward.
    (I’m not saying she is guilty of anything at this moment in time, but I don’t think Laura is capable of ‘sour grapes’ ).

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

What to make of the BBC website story covering Muir’s relationship with Dibaba?

It simply makes Laura’s view 100% clear.

SteveK26
    Participant

Yeah, but its a very forthright and condemning stance. I wonder what Laura knows/suspects that perhaps we are not yet privy to?

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Quite a lot would be my guess.

Athletes aren’t stupid. Most have pretty good ideas what’s going on with their rivals. They hear and see things, they know what doesn’t smell right.

Unlike most, Laura has chosen to make her point. Good on her. Most are complicit by silence.

I doubt Laura will be forced into a public apology or face a law suit from Africa any time soon.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers