Athletics Weekly | New Forum - Athletics Weekly

New Forum

This topic contains 69 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of paul paul 3 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of hemlock
    hemlock
    Participant

Is there some way to view a more basic form of the forum page?

For me, using either firefox OR chrome, the new forum page uses 40-80% CPU
    all the time.
    (So if I try to use any other program the system then hangs.
    It is a bit like the IAAF diamond league page used to be before they
    improved it.
    I note that most web pages use about 1-2% CPU.)

Any help much appreciated!

Profile photo of juice1
    Juice1
    Participant

I hadn’t noticed the CPU issue but it’s the same on my Mac using Chrome. I assume it’s all the scrolling and changing that goes on – all of which is flash but unnecessary. I’m broadly happy with the layout and after all AW is a commercial operation so we have to accept there will be ads, but this should be sorted. :-(

Profile photo of

HORRIBLE!!!

Profile photo of flumpy
    Flumpy
    Participant

Weeks in and this place is still a mess.

Can we please at least get a ‘quote’ function. It’s so bloody basic.

If that is not possible could we please get an explanation for this (And numerous other problems that are still rife).

This forum may be relatively busy at the moment but it’s the middle of the season. It’s going to die of death the minute we don’t have to come here each da and few of us will return in the future having found other places to discuss the sport in the meantime.

P.S – Those emoticons are an abomination. This isn’t a Justin Bieber fan site.

Profile photo of magnolia
    magnolia
    Participant

loggin in is a real pain – after you log in you then get routed back to the main AW homepage.

the size of the quoted speech (several times larger than the actual message text) is absurd.

agree with the above that this place will surely shrivel up and die at the end of the season. i can imagine a single dedicated UK thread on the T&F would be a much better place to talk athlettics in the future.

Profile photo of flumpy
    Flumpy
    Participant

You have to opt out of having your edits posted or not. If you don’t do this there’s long list of them underneath each time you change a typo.

Why can’t it just indicate the most recent edit automatically like every other forum in the world?

Profile photo of flumpy
    Flumpy
    Participant

And nobody wants Tags.

We’re not 12.

Profile photo of trevorp
    trevorp
    Participant

I seem to have stumbled through a tear in the space-time continuum and ended up back in 1999. The loss/lack of functionality is inexplicable.

This thing looks horrible (which is not the whining of an effete aesthete, it’s been rendered almost unreadable).

This Forum used to be my favourite, but now I don’t even want to lurk, must less post.

PS Regarding ‘Voices’ and ‘Freshness’: if you ever run out of gibberish, please feel free to use intelligible English.

I’m off to change my name to ‘Grumpy’.

Profile photo of trevorp
    trevorp
    Participant

And random hyperlinks – why?

Profile photo of sidelined
    sidelined
    Participant

Perhaps, in order to get some action going, we should all let the editor of AW know what we think of the new forum and the improvements we’d like to see. You can email him at:

jason.henderson@athleticsweekly.com

Profile photo of flumpy
    Flumpy
    Participant

I’ve already told him. He doesn’t use the forum at all so wasn’t aware of the problems.

I think a few emails detailing our complaints may be a good idea.

Profile photo of trackstyles
    trackstyles
    Participant

For anyone else who view the forum on an iPhone, has it gone really funny for you lately (narrow threads etc)?

I fear for the survival of this forum over the long, barren winter :cry:

Profile photo of lia1234
    lia1234
    Participant

What’s with the order of the posts in this thread?

P.S. Having the twitter feed on the right hand side interferes with scrolling down a thread on a tablet. Very annoying.

Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

Yes I’m having the same problems viewing the forum on my iPhone. Moderator – Why are all the posts in the wrong order? I sincerely hope this is a temporary glitch.

Profile photo of iain
    Iain
    Participant

Just had a look through some of the old threads on the ‘archived’ forum.

Really makes me annoyed that they moved us to this sack of shit.

Profile photo of dpickup
    dpickup
    Participant

signing in, choosing ‘current events’ ok I suppose
    BUT
    but then getting back to the ‘current events’ heading! It is lost, in small print, below 5 or 6 headings, AW, 11 headings, 6 more headings, ‘latest’, a cruise liner pic or shoes or stopwatch or other ad, and is above ‘LAST TOPIC looked at, ‘this topic contains …’, ‘viewing …, ‘author …

Please, perhaps can things be simplified to save eye strain and time-using searching.

Profile photo of dpickup
    dpickup
    Participant

I see there is an ‘anti-doping’ forum, but anti-doping is here in current events, and many of the other forums have hardly been used even not used.

Profile photo of occasionalhope
    OccasionalHope
    Participant

ISTR they introduced the antidoping forum because there was a spate of doping stories and it was overshadowing other events. But I agree – no one actually uses that forum so it’s redundant.

Profile photo of sidelined
    sidelined
    Participant

Great Run bought AW recently and said in their press release that they were intending to develop the digital side of the magazine. Perhaps they could go so far as to improve this ridiculously inadequate forum. Perhaps we should all bombard them with tweets and emails on this subject.

Profile photo of paul
    paul
    Participant

I’m up for that. Is there an optimal target address known?

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers