Athletics Weekly | New event for 2018 - sounds good - Athletics Weekly

New event for 2018 – sounds good

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mysterybrick MysteryBrick 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of nickp3445
    Nickp3445
    Participant

Just had a press release about this: http://www.britishathletics.org.uk/news-and-features/the-meet/

Think this would be exciting for fans and another chance to use the London Stadium next summer. Be interesting to see the exact format and how a team’s picked, but like the sound of it so far.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

I welcome the return of international meets.

I’ll reserve judgement on the format until we have more details.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

The only issue with an event like this is the small pool (relatively) of talent being drawn from means inevitably some of the events are very one sided or have only a mediocre level of achievement. But with a bit of creativity around the format (a good chance to try something “different” – maybe a team decathlon ;-) ) it should match a very partisan crowd against the strongest athletics nation in the world, so providing we can both field good teams there’s reason to be hopeful about it.

Whether it can fill a 60,000 seat stadium is another matter. But no time like the present to get the ticket sales going!

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

I welcome the return of international meets.

Me too.

Whether it can fill a 60,000 seat stadium is another matter.

It won’t.

“‘The Meet’ will be held on 21 July 2018 and involve running, jumping, hurdles and relay events”.

Anyone notice a missing word? FFS. I am now angry and you can count me out.

Profile photo of geoff
    geoff
    Participant

In principle this is a good idea but some of the recent indoor matches were not too good as most of the leading athletes did not compete. So it all depends on who turns out and what sort of format it adopts.

Personally, I would like to see as full a range of events as possible for both men and women. Will we see men’s and women’s pole vault, men’s and women’s long jump, men’s and women’s triple jump? I suspect the answer is no.

And one question that will be asked of UKA is WHERE ARE THE THROWING EVENTS?

Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

“‘The Meet’ will be held on 21 July 2018 and involve running, jumping, hurdles and relay events”.

Anyone notice a missing word? FFS. I am now angry and you can count me out.

I didn’t realise you were such a fan of the race walks. ;-)

Profile photo of mysterybrick
    MysteryBrick
    Participant

I imagine they’ve collectively gone ‘well, you’re crap at everything but hammer and we’re pretty crap at hammer, let’s call the whole thing off’…

Profile photo of sidelined
    sidelined
    Participant

An international meet against France, Germany and Poland, two lanes each, would be much more exciting than watching GB get thrashed by the US.

MysteryBrick is right; if they included the shot and the javelin the result would be complete embarrassment.

I can understand the desire of BA to get their money’s worth out of the stadium. I wonder how it will affect ticket sales for the Anniversary Games, though? How many people will want to shell out for both?

Profile photo of geoff
    geoff
    Participant

The most competitive throwing event would be the hammer but I suspect hammer throwing will be restricted to major championships at the stadium because of the football pitch!

I’m not keen on these artificial dual meets where we only choose the events we can win. Not putting throws in the programme highlights the almost complete lack of investment and event development in this area of the sport. I wonder what would happen if the medal target set by UK Sport had to include at least one throwing event and one jumping event?

Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

It’s odd they’re not including throwing events, hammer is one of the few disciplines we’re considerably better than the US at. It being held in a non championship year for the US they should send a strong team, I look forward to further details

Profile photo of geoff
    geoff
    Participant

My fear is that hammer is severely restricted in the stadium due to damage to the football pitch and it wouldn’t surprise me to hear it is only allowed in major championships with the cost of repair falling on UKA or the organising body. Other throws are likely to be so one-sided as to be virtually no contest.

But a dual international is about a team competition across all the disciplines where every point counts as it used to be in the European Cup. Fans and newcomers to the sport would like to see Crouser and others live.

Of course, following the wide ranging criticism of UKA regarding coaching, event development, lack of individual medallists etc to ignore throws just shows the lack of joined up working and their inability to acknowledge the criticism. It’s also counter productive because there is a tremendous backlash on social media so even more criticism for UKA.

At development level we have run, jump, throw. No real idea then how to recruit and retain coaches in technical events. Little support for coaches and a shambles of an athletics pathway. At the elite end reliant on overseas consultants/coaches and a failure to put throws in the shop window.

I despair of UKA but UK Sport hold the purse strings and 6 medals from relays and other track events keeps the funding rolling in!

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

I didn’t realise you were such a fan of the race walks.

Nice one, luckyspikes! As we’re now in gimmickland, why not try a long jump from a race walk approach?

hammer is one of the few disciplines we’re considerably better than the US at

Depends how you call it. In London they had no male finalists and one female who finished a couple of places below Sophie. In the rankings this year there are 2 Yanks ahead of Sophie. Miller and Bennett are above any Americans, but there are 3 of them at 74+ before you get to the next Brit so they’re no mugs. I’d certainly expect Miller to harvest max points tho.

I took my son in law to London on the Friday when we had seats right by the hammer cage. He’s a long lanky cyclist, only a causal athletics viewer, but was seriously impressed by the hammer throwers, becoming quite immersed in the comp. As Geoff says, give these guys proper exposure and people will become interested. Converting casual interest into fans, athletes or coaches is quite another matter.

Profile photo of mysterybrick
    MysteryBrick
    Participant

I took my son in law to London on the Friday when we had seats right by the hammer cage. He’s a long lanky cyclist, only a causal athletics viewer, but was seriously impressed by the hammer throwers, becoming quite immersed in the comp. As Geoff says, give these guys proper exposure and people will become interested. Converting casual interest into fans, athletes or coaches is quite another matter.

That’s the root of so much of the issue – if you show people these events they will often be impressed, enthralled and captivated, but if you don’t they can’t be…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers