Athletics Weekly | Muller Anniversary Games - Athletics Weekly

Muller Anniversary Games

This topic contains 145 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of robo2 robo2 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

Steve,

You said Lake was at her limit. I’ll bet you a Diamond League ticket for the Anniversary Games in 2019, that she clears 2.00 before then. She’s only 20 and, according to this week’s AW has only devoted herself exclusively to HJ in the last 2 weeks.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Last week Rabah Yousif was “Yabah”.

I almost posted about that at the time but thought I must have misheard. CJ is a lovely bloke but as thick as mince. Being inarticulate isn’t his only shortcoming: he doesn’t have anything insightful or interesting to articulate in the first place.

in common with rather a lot of our athletes. The 400m guy is the acme of struggle to articulate any thoughts at all.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

I’ll get my yearly BBC rant out of the way before London. I like Toni but the BBC are overloaded with pundits and so on. Gabby, Crammy, Cotter, Backley, Toni, Paula, Denise, Colin, Brendan, Phil & add in MJ come London. Eurosport manage with 2 commentators! I see Brendan is retiring though so that will just leave Paula for the distance races from now on.

The womens javelin looked like a great competition but we saw 3 or 4 throws, lots of Gabby, Paula and Denise with their hair done and lovely summer dresses though. It really is time to let Colin go, babbling on incoherently for well over 10 years now. What on earth does ‘very quality’ mean? Last week Rabah Yousif was “Yabah”. Whilst I admire him enormously as an athlete he’s too giggly and just cannot string an articulate sentence together. I think he’s a bit of a BBC favourite though, if he was going he’d have gone by now

Who do they aim the show at, the casual viewer or athletics fans? Because it’s quite clear that the fans don’t want to watch a chat show, and whilst the casual viewer might appreciate Paula’s dress they’re also not going to have much of an interest in listening to them talk for 15 minutes, are they?

you realise that the BBC I stuffed with overpaid producers who know sweet FA.
    Paula is a complete waste of space and a waste of money. None of these people mentioned will do a single thing to improve British athletics.

Profile photo of craigj
    craigj
    Participant

Maybe Colin would do better in the Gaby role of genial host?

Absolutely not! Under no circumstances must Colin be given an ear piece, with a producer at the other end, and be expected to hold a live TV show together, it would be Ortis Deeley all over again, absolute car crash TV!

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

Interesting, Soviet.

I see KJT as way more likely to hit 2-00 metres over the next year than Lake.

I guess its all about how the eye interprets what it sees. I see KJT as much rangier than Morgan. Her 1-98 in Rio was a much better jump (with room to spare) than anything I have seen from Morgan. To me, Kat looks like a world class high-jumper.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Does she compete enough? She doesn’t seem to want to put herself in high-pressure situations (DL meetings) often enough and then, when she does face such

Holly Bleasdale is too bulky, surely.

situations, she falters.

She has performed poorly this year and is undercooked, presumably because Simpson cannot handle her. I still reckon she looks very un-athletic in her approach.
    That 4.80 earlier was as freaky as her 4.87 years ago. Written her off as a serious competitor.Mentally not strong enough too often.

Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

2 medals for me as things stand;I cannot realistically see any more not even the Relays this year; unless our short relay guys see a few teams foul up and they don’t… pipedream sadly.

I agree – on current form we only have Mo in the top 3. I think he’ll get a gold and a bronze. I’ve always felt that a fit Kamworor could beat him at the 10,000 but hope he’ll bounce back to win the 5.

Of the rest, Muir and KJT and most likely to get into the top 3 – a couple of bronzes would be a good return, although on ability, KJT should be second.

Outside bets – Hitchon, Pozzi, the two 4x100s, men’s 4×400. This will sound nuts, but there’s something about Elliot Giles that makes me think he’s a future global medallist. 400mH is wide open again and Jack Green is capable of sub-48 – maybe this will be the time he fulfils his potential. Holly B should also be chasing medals by now but there’s no sign of that happening this time round.

Crammy said 6 would be good return and I think that is the upper limit of what is possible.

Can’t see Rutherford being fit.

Profile photo of occasionalhope
    OccasionalHope
    Participant

I thought Mo was only doing the 10K this year?

Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

An up and down day I’ll admit, there were a few high spots – Chris O’Hare looked exceptional, PB from Jacob Paul which should be good enough for an invite, Dasaolu’s 10.06 was his quickest time since 2014, Giles looks every bit as good as Osagie was at his peak

Unfortunately quite a few were off the pace today, if a few cases (Muir is particular) there were some tired legs. Doyle looked very good on Thursday but wasn’t in the same form today. Jaz Sawyers and Ugen faltered again. Dan Bramble probably won’t get a better chance to jump the qualifying mark. Omoregie had another poor race, though I hope he goes as I think at his absolute best could make the final. In Bradshaws defence she has been up and down before but usually comes into form at the championships. She only cleared 4.52 at last years anniversary games

Another word on Muir- she went through 1500 in 4.00, not too bad all things considered

Good to see Felix back, that 400 should be a cracker and women’s javelin all of a sudden is back in a good place

SteveK26
    Participant

Soviet

We disagree on Mo as well. I see no reason why Kamworor will beat him in the 10,000.

Back on the subject of KJT I see no change in her demeanor, or performances. The hurdles effort lacked conviction and the first three long jump efforts produced two fouls and a mediocre jump. She has three weeks to get some fire in her belly. Lets hope the throws have moved on.

Profile photo of occasionalhope
    OccasionalHope
    Participant

Maybe Jaz shouldn’t have spent so much time on that singing competition.

SteveK26
    Participant

…..I don’t know if a decision has been made, but I hope Kat does the High Jump, (rather than the long jump), as her second event in London.

Then we could see Kat v Lake part 1…….

Profile photo of kermit
    kermit
    Participant

In defence of Muir

That was her first race since a fracture of the metatarsal

Not too shabby at all

Profile photo of trickstat
    trickstat
    Participant

Omoregie had another poor race, though I hope he goes as I think at his absolute best could make the final.

His Achilles heel definitely appears to be the first hurdle, I think if he sorts out his approach to that in the next few weeks he will be OK. At a World Champs an athlete who can run about 13.30 if he gets it right is a better pick than one who is consistent but is stuck at 13.50.

Profile photo of hayden
    Hayden
    Participant

…..I don’t know if a decision has been made, but I hope Kat does the High Jump, (rather than the long jump), as her second event in London.

Technically the timetable would allow for her to do both as well as the heptathlon, but would that be too much/too risky for her? Normally yes but the thought of a home championships could tempt her to do as many events as possible, who knows.

Her jumping the Long Jump standard now though means that, if she doesn’t contest the Long Jump at London we’ll only have 2 GB girls (since she’s bumped Sawyers out of an IAAF invite now)

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

From the ticket website it looks like they have sold the lower and middle tiers plus the front half the upper tier. Which would be 40,000-45,000 total. The top 11 rows (9,000) are not allowed to be used by West Ham United because of licensing restrictions and I think that applies to the Anniversary Games. The stadium seats 66,000 maximum these days in football mode.

In fact much of the lower tier was cordoned off and unused. By the end there were probably 30,000 in the stadium but what was bizarre was that when the DL events started there was less than 1/3rd that number and the rest arrived in dribs and drabs over the next hour and a half. They only sold the cheaper tickets in large numbers and need to reconsider their pricing.

Profile photo of irishman
    irishman
    Participant

Steve,

You said Lake was at her limit. I’ll bet you a Diamond League ticket for the Anniversary Games in 2019, that she clears 2.00 before then. She’s only 20 and, according to this week’s AW has only devoted herself exclusively to HJ in the last 2 weeks.

Is she done with Heptathlon?

irishman
    Participant

I’ll get my yearly BBC rant out of the way before London. I like Toni but the BBC are overloaded with pundits and so on. Gabby, Crammy, Cotter, Backley, Toni, Paula, Denise, Colin, Brendan, Phil & add in MJ come London. Eurosport manage with 2 commentators! I see Brendan is retiring though so that will just leave Paula for the distance races from now on.

The womens javelin looked like a great competition but we saw 3 or 4 throws, lots of Gabby, Paula and Denise with their hair done and lovely summer dresses though. It really is time to let Colin go, babbling on incoherently for well over 10 years now. What on earth does ‘very quality’ mean? Last week Rabah Yousif was “Yabah”. Whilst I admire him enormously as an athlete he’s too giggly and just cannot string an articulate sentence together. I think he’s a bit of a BBC favourite though, if he was going he’d have gone by now

Who do they aim the show at, the casual viewer or athletics fans? Because it’s quite clear that the fans don’t want to watch a chat show, and whilst the casual viewer might appreciate Paula’s dress they’re also not going to have much of an interest in listening to them talk for 15 minutes, are they?

Paula is a complete waste of space and a waste of money. None of these people mentioned will do a single thing to improve British athletics.

It’s not their job to ‘improve athletics in this country’. That’s UKA’s job. Their job is to provide a television show about sport, which most of them – Colin aside – do reasonably well, and a couple do excellently. Yes Colin’s beyond awful, but hey, Listen to Carlton Kirby for two hours and count yourself fortunate.

irishman
    Participant

Technically the timetable would allow for her to do both as well as the heptathlon, but would that be too much/too risky for her? Normally yes but the thought of a home championships could tempt her to do as many events as possible, who knows.

Her jumping the Long Jump standard now though means that, if she doesn’t contest the Long Jump at London we’ll only have 2 GB girls (since she’s bumped Sawyers out of an IAAF invite now)

I think she’s a great lass, and seems great fun, but I just don’t seem that big a future for Jasmin Sawyers as a pure long jumper – she just doesn’t have the physical tools, however game she is. Should she consider a return to heptathlon – or concentrate on her winter interests?

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

2 medals for me as things stand;I cannot realistically see any more not even the Relays this year; unless our short relay guys see a few teams foul up and they don’t… pipedream sadly.

I agree – on current form we only have Mo in the top 3. I think he’ll get a gold and a bronze. I’ve always felt that a fit Kamworor could beat him at the 10,000 but hope he’ll bounce back to win the 5.

Of the rest, Muir and KJT and most likely to get into the top 3 – a couple of bronzes would be a good return, although on ability, KJT should be second.

Outside bets – Hitchon, Pozzi, the two 4x100s, men’s 4×400. This will sound nuts, but there’s something about Elliot Giles that makes me think he’s a future global medallist. 400mH is wide open again and Jack Green is capable of sub-48 – maybe this will be the time he fulfils his potential. Holly B should also be chasing medals by now but there’s no sign of that happening this time round.

Crammy said 6 would be good return and I think that is the upper limit of what is possible.

Can’t see Rutherford being fit.

With the best will in the world I have no thoughts of Jack Green as a medallist or sub 48. Not many sub 48s around and this year The Norwegian, McMaster ,the Americans, Hyde of Jamaica will be tough finalists.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

It’s not their job to ‘improve athletics in this country’. That’s UKA’s job. Their job is to provide a television show about sport, which most of them – Colin aside – do reasonably well, and a couple do excellently. Yes Colin’s beyond awful, but hey, Listen to Carlton Kirby for two hours and count yourself fortunate.

Cram, Cotter, Backley and tony with Mj of course. That’s we need at most. The rest are unnecessary,imo.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

In defence of Muir

That was her first race since a fracture of the metatarsal

Not too shabby at all

no one attacks Muir who is a fine athlete to watch and at Euro level has proved herself; my point is that expectations are in the media and she is overhyped. Mo is hyped up but has the essential armour to win. Muir in my opinion does not have that in globals. A fine DL eventer when fully fit.
    There is a slight similarity between Muir, Paula and McColgan; all great at a good solid pace and not scared to go out hard. But change of pace within a few yards to a hard sprint tend to win medals. I reckon Muir took a lot out of herself in the Europeans this year and will be tempted again in the World Indoors in March. I wonder whether she will contest also the CG in Gold Coast and the Europeans in Berlin.

SteveK26
    Participant

I doubt Laura will do a serious indoor season again.
    I also cannot envisage her missing the Commonwealths on the Gold Coast. Why would anyone not go to such a great location? Having been there on numerous occasions it gets my vote over an indoor campaign any day.

Irishman

I don’t think Morgan is done with heptathlon. Just this year , I believe.

Profile photo of trickstat
    trickstat
    Participant

I doubt Laura will do a serious indoor season again.
    I also cannot envisage her missing the Commonwealths on the Gold Coast. Why would anyone not go to such a great location? Having been there on numerous occasions it gets my vote over an indoor campaign any day.

I also think to a Scot, the Commonwealth Games is arguably a little bit more special than it is to an English athlete.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Does any poster here seriously consider that Laura will win the 1500 or 5000m. Ditto re a medal in either.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers