Athletics Weekly | Muller Anniversary Games - Athletics Weekly

Muller Anniversary Games

This topic contains 145 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of robo2 robo2 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jeremy1066
    Jeremy1066
    Participant

Now ROBO2 – control yourself! ;-)

Profile photo of jeremy1066
    Jeremy1066
    Participant

That was also a joke, ROBO! Maybe emoji’s don’t cut it!

Profile photo of luckyspikes
    LuckySpikes
    Participant

Good times for the men’s 800. Guy Learmonth the biggest shock – the eternal 1:46-high man taking a second off his PB to book his place on the team.

And Nijel Amos is definitely back!

Profile photo of kermit
    kermit
    Participant

It was far more important for the talking heads to talk over the long overdue presentation of the mens 4×4 medals

SMT

I am watching via catch up and so far the talking heads have been at if for 18 minutes but had to stop to hear the national anthem :wacko:

LuckySpikes
    Participant

And so is Sally Pearson?!

Profile photo of rununlimited
    RunUnlimited
    Participant

Watch out Kendra Harrison, a certain feisty Aussie looks like she’s back on form in the sprint Hurdles. :)

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Spotakova (68.26) snatching Kolak’s new MR (67.83) from her in the last round. The javelin is hotting up nicely for the WCh.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

I think that Obiri proved once again that to win at world level you have to possess a gear of pace change that she has, but Laura does not possess; she is a brave front runner but made it nice and easy for the Kenyan.
    I expect that LM will be stronger and possibly faster in a month and end of August in the final DL meets, but the same problem after 3 races in the WC will remain; Hassan. Kipyegon and Obiri with others waiting some nice athlete to make the pace.

Profile photo of kermit
    kermit
    Participant

I have just got up to the men’s 100m

I think the CJ will not end the season as British no1

James Dassaolu is running at his technical best and should carry that into the final stages of this season running at least 2 sub-10s

Those of you who know me know how critical I have been of Dassaolu.

Harry AA has huge problems due to his running action where his right leg never travels in a straight line

In 2012 the buzz word of our Olympic sprinters was “core”

I’m afraid none of them understood what it meant and how important that area is to speed development

In other news

Sally Pearson is back!

Profile photo of hayden
    Hayden
    Participant

Good times for the men’s 800. Guy Learmonth the biggest shock – the eternal 1:46-high man taking a second off his PB to book his place on the team.

Was very surprised to see him go sub 1.46, was slightly disappointed that he qualified as the last of the Brits in 10th place, however like Paula said, he did what he had to do – come top two at trials and get the time. Reminds me of Shelayna Oskan-Clarke in 2015, came 2nd in the trials then ran the qualifying time in her next race to book her spot… and we all know how that one turned out! ;-) Glad to see Giles secure selection too, and sub 1.45 PB to go with it. He’s a real promising talent.

Wonder whether they’ll go with Osagie or Langford for the 3rd spot.. Langford came 3rd at trials and beat Osagie again today, and has the better SB but Osagie has the champs experience and past success will help him. I’d go with Langford as I still think there’s much more to come from him, he’s still only 21!!

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Was very surprised to see him go sub 1.46, was slightly disappointed that he qualified as the last of the Brits in 10th place, however like Paula said, he did what he had to do – come top two at trials and get the time. Reminds me of Shelayna Oskan-Clarke in 2015, came 2nd in the trials then ran the qualifying time in her next race to book her spot… and we all know how that one turned out! ;-) Glad to see Giles secure selection too, and sub 1.45 PB to go with it. He’s a real promising talent.

Wonder whether they’ll go with Osagie or Langford for the 3rd spot.. Langford came 3rd at trials and beat Osagie again today, and has the better SB but Osagie has the champs experience and past success will help him. I’d go with Langford as I still think there’s much more to come from him, he’s still only 21!!

Not Osagie; Langford for me but I have no great hopes from our guys in the middle distances; at least Giles has a finsh and beats our other inconsistent performers.

Profile photo of craigj
    craigj
    Participant

Sharp has become a bit suspect tactically, may struggle to make the final in London. Doyle is peaking a little later this year but when everyone else ups their game she’s found wanting, I think making the final will be her aim. Bradshaw is a frustrating athlete, should really be in the mix for medals, the likelihood is that she finishes 6th or 7th again and just does enough to secure her funding for another year. Good to see Giles get the Q time. Mo’s race was a snoozefest, he’s the best in the world and can beat all comers so get some proper competition in, I’m sure the crowd would rather see him win in a competitive race rather than watch him trot round in these tedious set up ones

Profile photo of hayden
    Hayden
    Participant

Anyone know why there are two selectors meetings this year?

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

I was really looking forward to todays action, but on the whole it wasn’t the good news I hoped for.

Good to see Ujah secure his place, and prospects for the 4×100 look OK. I’d love to see Gemili hit some form and make the relay squad but that doesn’t look like happening.

I enjoyed seeing Neita run so well, but now am fearing the worst for Dasher. What a shame to unearth such a golden nugget who blossom’s aged 19, breaking two National records, only to see her struggle for the next two years when she should be at the height of her powers. Very sad for her.

The 400 boys have slim to no chance of medalling in the long relay. And Slim’s out of town. Very disappointed to see Delano Williams clearly struggling, since he was key.

200 boys all ran well and I guess Hughes did just enough to earn the third slot.

I think Laura Muir may have left her London medal indoors. To me she looked a better athlete in the Winter than she does now.
    Holly Bleasdale is too bulky, surely.

KJT’s hurdles were poor, but LJ was better. Still needs to get the run up sorted.
    I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again. She should be high jumping, exclusively. She looks well capable of 2 metres and that might well be good enough for the podium. Lake doesn’t give me the same impression and I think she is now at her limit.

Great to see Pearson run so well. I’ll be having a shilling or two on her to win in London if the price is right.

LuckySpikes
    Participant

Does she compete enough? She doesn’t seem to want to put herself in high-pressure situations (DL meetings) often enough and then, when she does face such situations, she falters.

Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

I was really looking forward to todays <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”color: rgb(0, 153, 0); border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0);”>action</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span>, but on the whole it wasn’t the good news I hoped for.

Good to see Ujah secure his place, and prospects for the 4×100 look OK. I’d <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”color: rgb(0, 153, 0); border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0);”>love</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span> to see Gemili hit some form and make the relay squad but that doesn’t look like happening.

I enjoyed seeing Neita run so well, but now am fearing the worst for Dasher. What a shame to unearth such a golden nugget who blossom’s aged 19, breaking two National records, only to see her struggle for the next two years when she should be at the height of her powers. Very sad for her.

The 400 boys have slim to no chance of medalling in the long relay. And Slim’s out of town. Very disappointed to see Delano Williams clearly struggling, since he was key.

200 boys all ran well and I guess Hughes did just enough to earn the third slot.

I think Laura Muir may have left her London medal indoors. To me she looked a better athlete in the Winter than she does now.

KJT’s hurdles were poor, but LJ was better. Still needs to get the run up sorted.
    I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again. She should be high jumping, exclusively. She looks well capable of 2 metres and that might well be good enough for the podium. Lake doesn’t give me the same impression and I think she is now at her limit.

Great to see Pearson run so well. I’ll be having a shilling or two on her to win in London if the price is right.

Re. Dasher – did she really struggle last year – European champ and 5th in the OG?!?!? I disagree that last year and this are the years she should be at the “height of her powers” – surely that would be expected in her mid-20s.

No way is Delano Williams “key”. I know UKA have (and continue) to invest in him but he should not be in our relay team. MHS, Cowan, Yousif and Rooney are all much better athletes (and I’d prefer to see Caddick and Chalmers ahead of him, as well).

I agree Laura was running far better in the winter. Let’s hope they are peaking her better than last year. Regardless, she faces the best bunch of W1500m runners ever and will be lucky to medal (Kipyegon, Hassan, Dibaba and, if she runs, Obiri all look better right now).

Great to see the athletes doing a lap of honour with the real star of GB athletics well to the fore: step forward (as if he needs to be invited), Harry Akines-Ayreety. :scratch:

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

Soviet

Partly agree with your point about Dasher in 2016. But to me there was no stage that year where she looked as good as in 2015. And this year has been pretty much a disaster for her.
    Maybe her best years might be ahead of her as you say, I hope so.

We will have to beg to differ about Delano Williams. Do you think the 4×400 boys can medal?

Biggest question to mull over……will Kilty’s name appear in the relay squad when the team is announced?

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

much as I would love to see LM get a medal I think she reminds me of another British athlete who was not afraid to pour it on but I do not think he won any Global… Peter Elliot. She did indeed race a lot indoors and was very strong; but the list of indoor champions who for one reason or another do not replicate later that year is known. She did not, even in her great 3.55 victory last year, have the brutal change of pace but who knows.. miracles happen. Feel sure she will be around with 3 or 4 others on the final 200m but not a winner.

Nothing I saw about British athletes , those that bothered to turn up that is, changed my impression that next month we have Mo and only Mo..

2 medals for me as things stand;I cannot realistically see any more not even the Relays this year; unless our short relay guys see a few teams foul up and they don’t… pipedream sadly.

Great return by Amos; fine performance but a little naïve by McMaster… he will do very well in the next two years Great to see sally P coming back to form for a possible medal.
    KJT disappointed… poor hurdles she can do better than 13.45. And she still has not really cracked consistent Long Jump.
    Felix looked very good and the general feel of things for me is that there will be some great competitions throughout in 4 weeks time.. Very few certainties..

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Profile photo of philipo philipo.
    Profile photo of craigj
    craigj
    Participant

I’ll get my yearly BBC rant out of the way before London. I like Toni but the BBC are overloaded with pundits and so on. Gabby, Crammy, Cotter, Backley, Toni, Paula, Denise, Colin, Brendan, Phil & add in MJ come London. Eurosport manage with 2 commentators! I see Brendan is retiring though so that will just leave Paula for the distance races from now on.

The womens javelin looked like a great competition but we saw 3 or 4 throws, lots of Gabby, Paula and Denise with their hair done and lovely summer dresses though. It really is time to let Colin go, babbling on incoherently for well over 10 years now. What on earth does ‘very quality’ mean? Last week Rabah Yousif was “Yabah”. Whilst I admire him enormously as an athlete he’s too giggly and just cannot string an articulate sentence together. I think he’s a bit of a BBC favourite though, if he was going he’d have gone by now

Who do they aim the show at, the casual viewer or athletics fans? Because it’s quite clear that the fans don’t want to watch a chat show, and whilst the casual viewer might appreciate Paula’s dress they’re also not going to have much of an interest in listening to them talk for 15 minutes, are they?

Profile photo of trevorp
    trevorp
    Participant

Partly agree with your point about Dasher in 2016. But to me there was no stage that year where she looked as good as in 2015.

2016 wasn’t completely injury-free: remember she DNS in the final at the World Indoors. In retrospect at the end of the season I thought it had been a good year of consolidation. 2015 was a hard act to follow: she didn’t actually run that much but each run was very high quality. Fingers crossed for next year. I haven’t been as excited about a British sprinter since Sonia – let’s hope her career follows a less blighted trajectory.

Profile photo of trevorp
    trevorp
    Participant

Last week Rabah Yousif was “Yabah”.

I almost posted about that at the time but thought I must have misheard. CJ is a lovely bloke but as thick as mince. Being inarticulate isn’t his only shortcoming: he doesn’t have anything insightful or interesting to articulate in the first place.

sovietvest
    Participant

Last week Rabah Yousif was “Yabah”.

I almost posted about that at the time but thought I must have misheard. CJ is a lovely bloke but as thick as mince. Being inarticulate isn’t his only shortcoming: he doesn’t have anything insightful or interesting to articulate in the <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”color: rgb(0, 153, 0); border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0);”>first place</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span>.

Today, he said athletes were “hitting the hurdles the wrong way”. There’s a right way to hit hurdles?? Reminded me of the Colin Ritz quote after Henry Marsh fell over the last barrier in the Helsinki ’83 3000SC.

Profile photo of occasionalhope
    OccasionalHope
    Participant

Maybe Colin would do better in the Gaby role of genial host?

sovietvest
    Participant

Worse thing about the BBC coverage was you didn’t get to see what was happening on the last lap of races at 800 and above. The camera zoomed in on the leaders or leader and great scraps for minor places were missed. The producer valued interesting angles and dramatic tracking shots over showing what was actually happening.

sovietvest
    Participant

Maybe Colin would do better in the Gaby role of genial host?

Gaby as genial host?!?!? I expect her to be caught, thinking the camera is off her, saying .. .. . .”Kill them”, like that character on (IIRC) Armstrong and Miller.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers