Athletics Weekly | Muller Anniversary Games - Athletics Weekly

Muller Anniversary Games

This topic contains 145 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of robo2 robo2 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tk852
    TK852
    Participant

I also agree totally with JRFast on this issue.

The junior sprinting talent is there in spades and has been for some time. But it doesn’t get developed as it should and that criticism has to be laid at the door of UKA.

I’ll give you another list of ‘whats happened to their progress’ athletes. All recent talents…

Charlotte McLennaghan
    Hannah Briar
    Hannah Williams
    Catherine Reid
    Sabrina Bakare

We should now be the envy of the sprinting world with the young talent that has been on offer

Depressing really.

Do you really expect year on year progression for all young athletes? Four of those five athletes are competing this season! Hannah Williams for one is off to the European Juniors!
    I think it is unfair to judge athletes on how they progress from the ages of around 18-22. A time of so much upheaval and nowadays most young athletes study at university.

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

Pretty much , yes. For obvious reasons.

Not all young athletes, since some might get injured and some might get disinterested.
    But the young , elite juniors who remain fit and in training? Yes I definitely expect them to progress
    year on year certainly in to their 20’s. Why wouldn’t they?

Profile photo of justrunfast
    justrunfast
    Participant

@TK852

Want to explain why all the ones I listed didn’t reach their potential too?

Profile photo of robo2
    robo2
    Participant

@TK852

Want to explain why all the ones I listed didn’t reach their potential too?

is it any different to sprinters in other countries? probably not

Profile photo of robo2
    robo2
    Participant

Stormy Kendrick, Jamile Samuel, Mirela Lavric, Tizita Bogale what happened to them? same year as jodie wiliams at the 2010 world juniors, most dont make it, we are no different to anyone else

justrunfast
    Participant

Stormy Kendrick, Jamile Samuel, Mirela Lavric, Tizita Bogale what happened to them? same year as jodie wiliams at the 2010 world juniors, most dont make it, we are no different to anyone else

So you name four athletes from four different countries to back up your point? Nice try.

All the names I quoted are from the GB AND majority around the same age! A whole generation of talent not making in the senior ranks yet you feel this is normal? Like I have said I don’t think any other country apart from maybe US and Russia had that much junior talent and USA lose a huge amount more athletes to other sports than we do at the senior ranks.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of justrunfast justrunfast.
    Profile photo of robo2
    robo2
    Participant

it is normal, few make it, you can go through the world junior champs year by year and see this

SteveK26
    Participant

All things being equal in terms of injuries and motivation, why wouldn’t a female 200 runner (for example) be faster at 21 than she was at 19?

My point is about progression. Thats not to say a world class junior will automatically become a world class senior. We all know that would be an absurd assumption. But they should at least improve, shouldn’t they?

Profile photo of taffy
    Taffy
    Participant

This isn’t a recent problem with our female sprinters it has been going on since at least the 80’s. I agree it is frustrating and indeed alarming how we seem to produce junior champions and then they fade away. Surely if we are producing as many as 3 talented girls each year.

Remember Venricha James beat Sanya Richards in 2002. Then zilch.

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

My point is about progression. Thats not to say a world class junior will automatically become a world class senior. We all know that would be an absurd assumption. But they should at least improve, shouldn’t they?

Steve

Maybe it’s a cultural thing? After school young people have many choices and just maybe Athletics isn’t such a great one in western European countries.

justrunfast
    Participant

Last 20 years GB have had three olympic or world medallists in the 100 or 200, two men, zero women yet
    7 world junior champions
    10 world junior medallists

Everybody in athletics understands that Junior success may not translate to seniors but we have had literally no one…….. on top of this literally 3-4 world and olympic 100 abd 200m finalists in two decades???

Why on earth are people defending this????

Just answer the question as apparently one of the best nations in the world at track and field is this ok???

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

Last 20 years GB have had three olympic or medallists in the 100 or 200, two men, zero women yet
    7 world junior champions
    10 world junior medallists

Everybody in athletics understands that Junior success may not translate to seniors but we have had literally no one…….. on top of this literally 3-4 world and olympic 100 abd 200m finalists in two decades???

Why on earth are people defending this????

Just answer the question as apparently one of the best nations in the world at track and field is this ok???

You’re asking the wrong question.
    Nobodys defending it, they may be trying to explain it because…
    The right question is WHY?

One important answer lies in public funding, short termism, the message that money not spent winning medals here and now is money wasted.

Until Olympic sports are motivated to prioritise long term development of their sports moaning about UKA decisions, the coaching structure, the competition structure etc will fall on deaf ears.

You can rant and rage about it if you are that sort of person.
    Did you respond to UK Sport consultation document on the way forward?
    Have you written to your MP or the government department with thousands of others?
    Are you supporting Warner and the current campaign of Badminton and the other sports that have lost their funding?

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of laps laps.
    Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

My theory is that in the last 10 years there’s been a sea change in the way young women go about their lives, they are far more organised and disciplined than before and carry greater ambition. You see it educational attainment – significantly more young women are going to university than young men. This is starting to translate to the sporting arena. We’ve got 2 very good tennis players in Konya and Watson and the women’s football teams world ranking and completion record have improved dramatically. There are some good points above about the number of Junior medals won I do accept

Compare the attitude of athletes like Dina and Desiree to that of the Laura Turners and Montell Douglases of this world. They’ve got so much more of a can do attitude, if you ask me our female athletes will be winning more medals than the men. The medal haul from the 2014 Oregon world juniors is a strong indicator

I thought this would be a good time (I’m not trying to be smug) to point out that we have had new NRs in the women’s 100, 200 and 400 in the last few years. To criticise Desiree Henry for underperforming is OTT, she was only 3 places off the Rio final at the age of 20.

As for the comments about Gemili “not turning up when it matters” they are grossly misplaced. He narrowly missed the Olympic final at 19! Fantastic breakthrough in 2013 and another stellar year and 2 medals in 2014.

Profile photo of taffy
    Taffy
    Participant

Yes we have had NR’s in the 100, 200 to 400, but can anyone see any athlete currently capable of dipping below 50 sec? In fact 51 looks unlikely. Not sure why some of the 200 girls do not step up and have a proper crack at the 400.( Jodie Williams is a prime example she ran a good 400 relay leg a few years back)

justrunfast
    Participant

You can rant and rage about it if you are that sort of person.
    Did you respond to UK Sport consultation document on the way forward?
    Have you written to your MP or the government department with thousands of others?
    Are you supporting Warner and the current campaign of Badminton and the other sports that have lost their funding?

Not you other posters are trying to go about it with the stance that this is just the way it is and I don’t buy that,
    Yes and yes this is the reason I rant and rage about, I’m in full support of Badminton, Basketball weightlifting etc who have lost their funding and some of these NGBs are at least trying to go about development the right way.

In my opinion we will only see a change when GB have a disastrous World or Olympic games happens every 5-6 years in the UK

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of justrunfast justrunfast.
    Profile photo of geoff
    geoff
    Participant

Looks like Adam Gemili is out of the 200m which doesn’t surprise me after how he ran in the trials. I wonder if Shara Proctor is fit after pulling out of Lausanne after two fouls? Desiree Henry, as we know, not running. A difficult time for Rana Reider at the moment!

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

In my opinion we will only see a change when GB have a disastrous World or Olympic games happens every 5-6 years in the UK.

Actually I don’t think we have had a particularly disastrous games. Leaving aside the Atlanta absence of golds the last 25 years have been surprisingly constant as to the amount of success at Olympic and World Champs level. There was one below par period in 2001-2005 but since 2008 we have been back up to the average or better.

Year…Medals..Total…Place…Position………..Medalists
    ………….G-S-B……………..Points…Pts table

1992…2-0-4….6……..N/A………(Christie,Gunnell,Akabusi,Backley,4x4M,4x4W)
    1993…3-3-4…10……..95…..4….(Christ,Gunn,Jackson,Jarrett,Regis,4x1M,Edwards,Hill,Smith,4x4W)
    1995…1-3-1….5……..79…..4….(Edwards,Holmes,Jarrett,Backley,Holmes)
    1996…0-4-2….6……..N/A………(Backley,Black,Edwards,4x4M,Lewis,Smith)
    1997…1-4-1….6……..79…..4….(4x4M,Lewis,Backley,Jackson,Edwards,4x1M)
    1999…1-4-2….7……..70…..4….(Jackson,Lewis,Macey,Radcliffe,4x1M,Chambers,Edwards)
    2000..2-2-2….6……..96…..4….(Lewis,Edwards,Backley,Campbell,Merry,Holmes)
    2001…1-0-1….2……..58…..8….(Edwards,Macey)
    2003…0-1-2….3……..46….11….(Holmes,Campbell,Tullett)
    2004…3-0-1….4……..69…..5….(Holmes,Holmes,4x1M,Sotherton)
    2005…1-0-2….3……..35….12….(Radcliffe,4x1M,4x4W)
    2007…1-1-3….5……..61…..6….(Ohuruogu,Sanders,Sotherton,4x1M,4x4W)
    2008…1-2-3….6……..75…..6….(Ohuruogu,Mason,Idowu,Danvers,4x4W,4x4M)
    2009..2-2-2….6……..81…..7….(Ennis-Hill,Idowu,Dobriskey,4x4M,Meadows,4x1M)
    2011…2-4-1….7……..70…..6….(Greene,Farah,Farah,Ennis-Hill,England,Idowu,Turner)
    2012…4-1-1….6……..94…..7….(Farah,Farah,Ennis-Hill,Rutherford,Ohuruogu,Grabarz)
    2013…3-0-3….6……..79…..7….(Farah,Ohuruogo,Farah,4x4W,Porter,4x1W)
    2015…4-1-2….7……..94…..5….(Farah,Farah,Rutherford,Ennis-Hill,Procter,4x4M,4x4W)
    2016…2-1-4….7……..93…..4….(Farah,Farah,Ennis-Hill,Rutherford,Hitchon,4x1W,4x4W)

SteveK26
    Participant

What would those results above look like without Farah’s contributions?

Cos after this year, no Mo……….

SteveK26
    Participant

……not to mention CO’s contribution, and she will be gone next year as well.

Profile photo of jeremy1066
    Jeremy1066
    Participant

Who knows? Maybe the time for NMB, Ujah, Grabarz, Farah (again), KJT, Pozzi, Ugen, Muir, men’s 4 x 1 with maybe some outside chances for Bradshaw, Oksan-Clarke, Doyle, Butchart, even Lake with her 2017 HJ ranking etc., or Hitchon). And maybe surprise showings for Green, or MHS.

The barometer isn’t just the female 100, 200, 400, 4×1, 4X4 – which seems to be the currency of success, or reason for despair for a few.

Profile photo of ibarnett01
    ibarnett01
    Participant

And not to mention the ’76 Montreal Games.

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

Mentioning the “76 Games we were lucky Brendan won our only medal thanks to the African boycott.

Profile photo of jeremy1066
    Jeremy1066
    Participant

Yes, I remember being devastated in ’76.

Profile photo of kermit
    kermit
    Participant

A few observations

Whatever happened to LTAD?

A few years back it was the mantra of the NGB. Purely looking at the attrition rate of injuries over the last decade it has failed

In all other sports, it has worked including England Football squads!

Way too many athletes have injuries that are core related yet treated as hamstring, therefore, they get the wrong treatment.

If LTAD was in place injuries would not be so frequent and quality training and races would increase.

Another observation

Could proctor’s injury be triple jump related?

Her legs are not conducive to the event

One final observation

Why did UKA give up their biggest money earner?

A 2-day Diamond League meet

Which numpty signed off on that??

Profile photo of geoff
    geoff
    Participant

Kermit, I too wondered about why the 2 day meet has been dropped. Too much because of the Para World Champs and IAAF World Champs so probably struggle to half fill the stadium?

Already mentioned that Henry, Proctor and Gemili are out. Although no longer with Rana Reider I see Tiffany Porter is not running (injured?training?) and, of course, her sister is injured.

Looking forward to some cracking competition though with some running different events, others battling for GB places, women’s hurdles and mile.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers