Athletics Weekly | Muller Anniversary Games - Athletics Weekly

Muller Anniversary Games

This topic contains 145 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of robo2 robo2 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant
    Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

A really good number of outstanding fields. A shame that Mo’s race is a bummer done deliberately for him , clearly. But lots of outstanding athletes hopefully will be at the meet, which this year is only one day.
    Looking forward especially to seeing McMaster, still at the top of the long hurdles rankings.

Profile photo of tk852
    TK852
    Participant

Butchart should give him a challenge. Will be interesting to see how close he gets.

Looks like it will be between Nelson and Asher-Smith for the final 100m spot with no Henry on the start lists.

Ujah to confirm his 100m spot by beating the other Brits I would assume. Gemili goes for the 200m but no Leon Reid thus far.

Profile photo of jjimbojames
    jjimbojames
    Participant

Similarly, Wightman goes in the 800m – I’m assuming he’s been told he has a place there, opening up the 1500m for Grice

Does this mean Henry goes in the 200m? Logical to spread the places and her own fault. I actually think it’s her best Champs distance

Profile photo of tk852
    TK852
    Participant

I wonder, if Wightman goes in the 1500m and loses to Grice then it could only hurt his chances of selection. If he doesn’t race him then his 3rd place at the trials could see him be selected. His favoured event is the 1500m so I would be surprised if he opted to suddenly now go for a 800m spot.
    Unless Grice runs a blinder and substantially goes under 3.34 I think it’s hard for him to be selected.

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

Unless Grice runs a blinder and substantially goes under 3.34 I think it’s hard for him to be selected.

That’s the way I see it. Wightman is avoiding the 1500m because he has nothing to gain and his place to lose.

Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

Looking forward to what Fred Kerley can do over 200, I’m not sure what to make of Gemili competing, on the plus side maybe the injury’s not as bad as previously thought, however if he has another bad run it puts the ball in Hughes’/Reid’s court.

No Rutherford looks ominous

Dina mentioned that she didn’t want to do 200s at this stage as the bend would put more pressure on her recovering foot. I don’t read it as an indication that she wants to do the 100 at the WCs.

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

Dasher is lucky that Henry seems to have lost her way.
    But its pretty much irrelevant who gets what slot. Not really enough time left for either of them to be competitive in London.
    Relay spots are up for grabs though, so lets hope they can make a decent contribution to that.

Profile photo of sidelined
    sidelined
    Participant

Desiree Henry has said on Twitter that there are things going on for her at the moment that she’s not prepared to share.

I wonder if Wightman had already planned to run the 800 before the trials?

It’s a pity there isn’t a domestic 400 for women. Most Diamond Leagues have more B races at the beginning of the programme to give athletes a chance to find out what it’s like to compete at a big event. This one has few age group races and that’s it.

SteveK26
    Participant

Cloak and dagger stuff with Desiree Henry, I guess. Lets hope she gets her head sorted before London.

Such a shame really that Dasher got injured at the peak of her powers, and now Henry has ‘issues’. If they had been able to maintain their upward curves the rivalry would have put bums on seats even in Birmingham last weekend.

They both should have their best years ahead of them, provided the fragile bodies hold up.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

But its pretty much irrelevant who gets what slot. Not really enough time left for either of them to be competitive in London.
    Relay spots are up for grabs though, so lets hope they can make a decent contribution to that.

we can seriously forget any contribution from our women at 100/200/400m.How sad after the possibilities of a couple of years ago.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

What is so depressing is that these young female athletes in the sprints get opportunities to train in very favourable conditions unknown in byegone days.
    For that matter so do our male sprinters.
    The whole bunch of our sprinters seem to spend large amounts of time injured/ or not competing.
    Kilty, HAA, Edoburun( what a disappointment he was last w/e),Gemili.oh dear :-(

Profile photo of tk852
    TK852
    Participant

we can seriously forget any contribution from our women at 100/200/400m.How sad after the possibilities of a couple of years ago.

Oh please… Philip and Neita are in PB form right in evidence with their performance at the trials.

DAS I don’t know but with her back the girls look a good bet for a relay medal.

Nice interview with the four of them here for anyone interested. Philipo has written them off so no need for you to read it I guess.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/athletics/2017/07/05/anniversary-games-2017-like-sisters-sprinters-just-crazy-anyway/

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

mustn’t forget the biggest disappointment of all. Jodie Williams 22.46 3 years ago and 11.18 6 years ago. So where is she going … injury stuff again.is it.???

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Not too interested much in PBs which are way down on the top international standards.

Profile photo of foxyjarvis
    foxyjarvis
    Participant

On conditioning of our female sprinters, Jodie Williams had a six pack 3 years ago, she doesn’t now. She would struggle to beat the Jodie Williams from 10 years ago, who looked fitter than the present version. On the other extreme, Desiree Henry is carrying far too much upper body mass. That straight of hers was really painful to witness as is her inability to peak when it matters.
    Our sprinters seem to be in a constant state of flux with their change of coaches. The days of a Christie/Ron Roddan, Jackson/Malcolm Arnold relationship are a distant memory.

Profile photo of jeremy1066
    Jeremy1066
    Participant

Well, we still have the best crop of sprinters we have ever had. Sure, we can bleat America/Jamaica envy (or disdain), but we just don’t have, as Justrunfast mentioned, that critical block of intense training & competition (plus the psychological preparedness) between the ages of 18 and 24. It’s all well and good to expect a different result, but I don’t understand pointing fingers at lazy, ungrateful athletes. That type of thinking is disingenuous. Our current female sprinters are only joined in the rankings, as far as I can see (and remember only too well), by the likes of Kathy Smallwood/Cook, Andrea Lynch and Sonya Lanaman. Same for the men, when have such a great crop of sprinters. Yes, there’s a changing of the guard in the 400. But there are some very promising young contenders who seem driven – hungry even.

Profile photo of camerajuan
    camerajuan
    Participant

Ujah to confirm his 100m spot by beating the other Brits I would assume. Gemili goes for the 200m but no Leon Reid thus far.

Saw a relay video from Belfast the other night, Reid ran an absolutely storming 3rd leg. He’s beginning to really impress me.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Best crop of sprinters we have ever had.???? What female sprinters for starters???, one who is injured and on her own admission needs to watch her body with special care… DAS. She is our only female sprinter of genuine class. The rest have proved nothing at top international level.

Our male sprinters have one of undoubted pedigree… Gemili, who has a habit of not being there when it counts but was fine last year.
    Dasaolu is still residing in the 10. after his fine season awhile ago; the rest of our guys are completely unreliable as far as I believe. No two or three races of quality sequentially.

Best crop of male sprinters … give me Linford and Regis and you can have the rest of todays mob.; and since most people include the 400m now as a sprint our previous age of male 400m were vastly superior for a long time than what we have now.

Look at the British all- time female sprinters…Cook,Thomas, Lynch, Oyepitan, Lannaman and others all equal to or superior to the marks of our current crop for this years rankings. Even Heather Oakes managed 11.20 in 1980.

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

Henry 11.09??
    Philip 11.19
    Neita 11.20

Profile photo of philipo
    philipo
    Participant

and the 200m for women
    Henry 22.64
    KJT, Williams and Hylton… high 22s. just does not signify remotely better than previous ages. I counted 11 to 15 athletes of previous ages better than our second best this year… a heptathlete followed by Williams and Hylton.

Profile photo of justrunfast
    justrunfast
    Participant

On conditioning of our female sprinters, Jodie Williams had a six pack 3 years ago, she doesn’t now. She would struggle to beat the Jodie Williams from 10 years ago, who looked fitter than the present version. On the other extreme, Desiree Henry is carrying far too much upper body mass. That straight of hers was really painful to witness as is her inability to peak when it matters.
    Our sprinters seem to be in a constant state of flux with their change of coaches. The days of a Christie/Ron Roddan, Jackson/Malcolm Arnold relationship are a distant memory.

It’s almost as if some of you have selective memory, I going to keep saying this development during teens years are so important and is not looked at closely enough in the UK. It’s all well and good saying the likes of Jodie, Desiree and Dina were great juniors but in reality their development was being rushed during their teenage years for short term success.

Jodie: Hamstring off the bone tear
    Desiree: Stress fracture in her back
    Dina: Numerous hamstring tears

People keep wondering why none of our great junior progress it’s because their long term development wasn’t being looked at instead everything was done to be world junior and world youth champion and look where we have ended up?

Yes some athletes are lazy but they are very few and far between, people always assume it’s because they have been given too much too young while no accountability is put on the coaching… why because of the volunteer nature of our coaching system.

If 95% of our juniors do not get anywhere near their potential I’m sorry in my opinion that is poor coaching. Here’s a list of amazing junior sprinters who have not reached their potential:

Mark Lewis-Francis, Christian Malcolm, Craig Pickering, Simeon Williamson, Leevan Yearwood, David Bolarinwa, Deji Tobais, Chris Lambert, Alex Nelson, Leon Baptiste
    Wade Bennett-Jackson, Harry Aikines-Aryeetey, Andrew Robertson

Hayley Jones, Joey Duck, Sophie Papps, Montell Douglas, Anike Shand-Whittingham,
    Jodie Williams, Vernicha James, Shaunna Thompson

All the above ran crazy fast as juniors some I know personally majority were not lazy yet nobody wants to say anything about how they were coached or how majority had serious injuries as teenagers????? The bottom line is some of the above had success as juniors because of their natural talent didn’t reach their potential because coaching wasn’t good enough to develop the talent they had.

People have always wanted our best young talent to develop into elite stars running world class times with volunteer coaches and now what you are stuck with in 2017 is the 1% who have managed to make it through, until this changes our success at senior level will not.

Jeremy1066
    Participant

Philipo/Jeremy – I, too, am extremely nostalgic about the days of Cook, Lynch and Lannaman, etc., but I hope I am not so nostalgic that I deny other generations their place in history. Perhaps, then, in years to come, the list will speak for itself, since many of the female and male sprinters active today populate the top 15 list overall. 8 of the top 15 all time British female 100m sprinters are active now – 9 of the top 15 all time men the same. Of course, we can have out favourites, but come on!

I couldn’t agree with you more, Justrunfast, it’s a crying shame how our juniors do not go on to realise their junior promise.

Jeremy1066
    Participant

What is the heptathlete comment supposed to signify? Some kind of ne’er-do-well who has no business sprinting? There have been some good ones of late in the sprints – both on the women’s and men’s side. Interesting argument.

SteveK26
    Participant

I also agree totally with JRFast on this issue.

The junior sprinting talent is there in spades and has been for some time. But it doesn’t get developed as it should and that criticism has to be laid at the door of UKA.

I’ll give you another list of ‘whats happened to their progress’ athletes. All recent talents…

Charlotte McLennaghan
    Hannah Briar
    Hannah Williams
    Catherine Reid
    Sabrina Bakare

We should now be the envy of the sprinting world with the young talent that has been on offer

Depressing really.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers