Athletics Weekly | Migeul Francis - Athletics Weekly

Migeul Francis

This topic contains 31 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ladyloz Ladyloz 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of arials101
    arials101
    Participant

..Has completed the process of switching from Antigua & Barbuda to Great Britain. He started the process last year and was eligible to do so because he’s from the British overseas territory of Montserrat. His 200m PB is 19.88.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/apr/05/athletics-nationality-debate-migeul-francis-antigua-gb-usain-bolt

Oddly, he was quoted a month ago saying he was having second thoughts and wanted to run for Antigua but he’s now gone through with the switch anyway.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Yes I saw the article from a few weeks ago where he said he’d changed his mind.

I’m surprised given that he supposedly had a falling out with the Antiguan federation that they have let him go without applying the 3 year wait which means he is eligible to represent GB straight away.

I don’t know the ins & outs and whether his grievances were justified but I do feel a bit sorry for Antigua here as they’re a small country with very few world class athletes.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Profile photo of ladyloz ladyloz.
    Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

He looked in good form last year before injury struck- 20.11, 20.16 before the 19.88. He also ran an unverified 19.67. I suspect like NMB he might struggle to produce those times on British soil. He might have been better off staying with Antigua, at this point I can’t see him jumping the queue ahead of Gemili, Hughes and Talbot

arials101
    Participant

If Danny Talbot trained and competed in Jamaica with amicable weather conditions he still wouldn’t be competitive with those sort of times. I’m not convinced Hughes is ahead of him on paper either.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Danny’s PB of 20.25 I suspect is at/close to his limit. I don’t see him as a sub 20 runner. Gemili & NMB already are & Hughes got very close in 2015. I can see Prescod running sub 20 as well.

arials101
    Participant
    Profile photo of jjimbojames
    jjimbojames
    Participant

Trials are going to be very tough! Outside of Jamaica and US, where else would you have that kind of depth

Also another contender for a relay slot – perhaps in both relays?

Profile photo of camerajuan
    camerajuan
    Participant

I’d rather have him in the long relay over the short one. We’ve got enough talent in the 4×1 to break the British record, the 4×4 needs bolstering.

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Has he ever run a 400 does anyone know? I can’t find any 400 PB for him though his 100m PB of 10.28 perhaps suggests he is more a 200/400 runner rather than 100/200.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Given up worrying about where someone was born, where their parents were born, whether they’ve even heard of Britain or know the words to the National Anthem. But two things:

1. Can some of these territories of ours please produce some decent throwers worth nicking?

2. Conclusive evidence that our latest recruit is bonkers:

“I’ve been to England three times before because my family is in Wolverhampton. It’s really nice there. It’s a lovely setting and really chilled. It’s more of a countryside feel so I like it”.

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

Has he ever run a 400 does anyone know? I can’t find any 400 PB for him though his 100m PB of 10.28 perhaps suggests he is more a 200/400 runner rather than 100/200.

Three x 400m on Tila
    2015 47.57 2rD Mona 21 Mar
    2016 46.85 1rC Mona 2 Apr
    2017 46.48 2 Kingston 25 Mar

jjimbojames
    Participant

I think Prescod plans to move to the 400m at some point, and maybe Talbot will, too – 20.2 speed is a great starting point

Profile photo of sidelined
    sidelined
    Participant

I doubt that Francis would be included in the 4 x 100 relay this year because he hasn’t been to any of the training sessions. I think they’re all at a training camp in Florida at the moment. BA don’t seem to like slotting any new person in without months of practice, however fast they are.

Somehow I’d be surprised if all the main contenders in the 200 end up facing each other at the trials – so often somebody has some kind of problem and doesn’t turn up.

Profile photo of irishman
    irishman
    Participant

Both Delano Williams (a former Jr world 200 champ) and Matt Hudson Smith have moved up to 400 in recent years, and both look good prospects in an admittedly fierce event. The stacking in the 200 for GBR is getting unweildy – which in the long run is probably good for the 4 – Gemili, Nethaneel Mitchell Blake, Zharnel Hughes, Danny Talbot and Miguel Francis for staerters, with Prescod, possibly Edoburun, Somers and Rahmdan – in a sense it’s a pity Bolarinwa seems to have gone nowhere as he looked a serious enough jr too. All fit and all racing would be some Trials 200 – but you’d have think at least a couple could make move up to 4 to join Williams and Hudson Smith – the 4 can’t rely on Rooney forever, and the other guys are all getting on a bit.

Profile photo of nickp3445
    Nickp3445
    Participant

We have one or two decent juniors coming through in the 400m and I think GB Athletics are wanting Somers and Prescod to move up to the longer sprint, although both are not as keen as the governing body.

I remember there were rumours about Danny Talbot switching a few years ago and it never happened.

jjimbojames
    Participant

All the while the likes of Talbot can get relay funding over the shorter sprints, he won’t make the change IMO. He definitely has 400m potential, as does Somers

Profile photo of trevorp
    trevorp
    Participant

I remember there were rumours about Danny Talbot switching a few years ago and it never happened.

Yes, I seem to remember that too. He gave 400 a try indoors a couple of years back, but it wasn’t brilliant.

Profile photo of jford92
    JFord92
    Participant

Zharnel Hughes dabbles with the 400 also – I don’t see why athletes should be overly influenced to go against the grain and try the longer sprint. Why should Prescod? 10.04 over 100m doesn’t suggest a move, Talbot is solid over both (and runs a cracking bend in the relay IMO)

What i’m interested in seeing regarding Francis is the reaction from the likes of Kilty and that group, they always seem to have a chip on their shoulder when it comes down to these things. ‘British people should compete for Britain’ etc etc.

Profile photo of johannesfactotum
    JohannesFactotum
    Participant

So as of now, he’s the fastest 200m Briton ever but doesn’t hold the NR.

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

I thought Toby Harries looked a great prospect in the 2016 indoor season.
    And then along came an injury. I hope he is fit and well for the coming outdoor season. He is about a year or so younger than Tom Somers, and both of them would be interesting prospects.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Profile photo of stevek26 stevek26.
    camerajuan
    Participant

Yeah that’s an iffy one. I think he needs to run the time repping GB for it to count. You can’t gain national records just by being cleared to compete for a country. Unless anyone knows more than me?

jjimbojames
    Participant

That is correct – same thing happened with Tiff Porter, I think

camerajuan
    Participant

Slightly different as her PB wasn’t better than the British record when she was cleared.

jjimbojames
    Participant

Slightly different as her PB wasn’t better than the British <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”color: rgb(0, 153, 0); border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0);”>record</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span> when she was cleared.

Could be wrong but I’m sure she was a 12.7 girl in college before the switch – Angie Thorp was quite vocal at the time (her record was 12.80) that someone would just come in and take it, and rooted for Jess to break it instead

Profile photo of trickstat
    trickstat
    Participant

Yeah that’s an iffy one. I think he needs to run the time repping GB for it to count. You can’t gain national records just by being cleared to compete for a country. Unless anyone knows more than me?

I’m pretty sure you only have to be cleared to represent the country. IIRC, Zola Budd set some British Junior Records before the LA Olympics. I think there are quite a few examples of athletes holding national records for 2 different countries with different performances set a few years apart (Ottey, Engqvist, McKoy, Obikwelu and Lagat are amongst the possible examples?).

I think the British 200 record of 19.94 by John Regis will surely go in the next year or two. His high-altitude 19.85 was actually never ratified.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers