Athletics Weekly | London DL - Athletics Weekly

London DL

Tagged: 

This topic contains 253 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of stevek26 SteveK26 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 254 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of damienc
    damienc
    Participant

It sounds like some are seriously doubting TBO!! She will find you, she will hunt you down and she will finish you! Mark my words Christine will reign supreme in Beijing (49.80secs)!

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

It sounds like some are seriously doubting TBO!! She will find you, she will hunt you down and she will finish you! Mark my words Christine will reign supreme in Beijing (49.80secs)!

Not sure about that, Damien, but i am confident she will make the final, and run a lot faster than she has so far this season. Nobody has really staked a solid case for winning in Beijing in the womens 400. Its up for grabs.

Great running from Dasher. I didn’t expect her to go faster in the final today. But I do think she will go faster in Beijing. She has had a wonderful season.

Very pleased to see Kyle Langford run so fast, let him go to Beijing, I say.

Proctor excellent, KJT a bit disappointing. Jess should be content, despite a below par 200. No doubt at all she could medal in Beijing.

Profile photo of dpickup
    dpickup
    Participant

Steve
    Some background re J E-H’s & K J-T’s reactions to how they did yesterday
    see
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/athletics/33666205

Profile photo of justrunfast
    justrunfast
    Participant

I guess KJT was content with coming out injury free and a decent performance. Honestly watching her 6.50 jump she literally jogged down the runway.

At the same time you can’t really get close to 7m like that…….perhaps just little cautious in the lead up to Beijing?

Profile photo of jjimbojames
    jjimbojames
    Participant

JRF – I agree. She looked like she was going through the motions, which would make sense if she was just feeling out where she was

Hopefully, full out down the runway in a month’s time!

SteveK26
    Participant

I agree with the above comments on Kat. I am so used to seeing her jump 6-80 these days, anything less is disappointing.
    She has been a bit fragile since the terrific indoor performances. I hope she gets a good block of training in, and gets to Beijing in top form. At one point I began to worry she might not make it at all.
    Surely Jess will go now. She improved her seasons best quite significantly in all three events she contested at the weekend. I reckon that unless Kat is in majestic form, Jess would have a shot at winning. I think it’s likely that Brianne peaked in Gotzis.

SteveK26
    Participant

Once again, by the way, Greg Rutherford demonstrated what a gentleman he is by staying to sign loads of autographs, despite the fact he was disappointed with his days work. He is a truly great ambassador , and gives value for money wherever he goes. How I would love to see him produce an 8-50 in Beijing.

Profile photo of foxyjarvis
    foxyjarvis
    Participant

Dendy looks like the guy to beat in Beijing.
    What’s the story with KJT? Oblique references to injuries but nothing specific. JEH looks fine, the question is will Katarina go to Beijing. Athletes with her rare talent should not be scratching around for a bronze and at the moment her Gotzis 2014 score looks beyond her. Who would have thought, of our 3 heptathletes it would be Jess having the best build up to Beijing.

Profile photo of dpickup
    dpickup
    Participant

FoxyJarvis
    Hope this is isn’t too oblique:

‘Katarina Johnson-Thompson … said she had been hampered by a quad problem for the past three weeks. … “Considering the preparation I’ve had for it I’m over the moon. “I was worried about it before this competition but now I’m completely fine,” the 22-year-old said.
    see
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/athletics/33666205

jjimbojames
    Participant

On a tangent, does anyone know if Brett Morse ended up finding a comp?

Profile photo of trickstat
    trickstat
    Participant

I agree with the above comments on Kat. I am so used to seeing her jump 6-80 these days, anything less is disappointing.
    She has been a bit fragile since the terrific indoor performances. I hope she gets a good block of training in, and gets to Beijing in top form. At one point I began to worry she might not make it at all.
    Surely Jess will go now. She improved her seasons best quite significantly in all three events she contested at the weekend. I reckon that unless Kat is in majestic form, Jess would have a shot at winning. I think it’s likely that Brianne peaked in Gotzis.

Her recent 400 & LJ performances suggest that she is still in very good shape.

Profile photo of mattrh17
    Mattrh17
    Participant

I went to both days and I found them both to be really well attended and the standard of competition was generally excellent as well. With Bolt and Mo there on Friday the atmosphere was amazing and I went with a friend who is not an athletics fan and he said it was one of the best sporting events he had been to. The thing that really stood out for me yesterday was how many families and children were there. There were 3 sisters sat in front of me aged between about 7-12 and they went absolutely crazy every time Jess jumped or ran and also when Dina was running, I imagine this was similar around the stadium. It is important to sometimes remember the bigger picture and having Bolt, Rudisha, Mo, Greg, Jess, Christine, KJT and Dina + others at an event that got quite a lot of exposure is in some ways more important than the performances themselves. I hope that this can be built on moving towards the Worlds in a few years in attracting more young stars to the sport in the way that 2012 ensured the likes of KJT, Gemili, Henry and Dina would become the future.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of mattrh17 mattrh17.
    Profile photo of highlander
    Highlander
    Participant

IMO Hughes is the real deal. He seems very comfortable running with and beating the worlds elite. He really does remind me of a fresh young Mr Bolt. Regardless of what county he was to run for i think he will be a joy to watch for many years. We are lucky to have him. As for the British record at 200m record it is hanging on by it’s finger tips. Would not be surprised to see 19.8 from him this year.

As for Dasher, wow 10.99 WTG! and more to come.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of highlander highlander.
    Profile photo of jammer
    Jammer
    Participant

Dendy looks like the guy to beat in Beijing.

Jeff Henderson may have something to say about that. It should be a great contest, especially as the event seemed to be stuck in the doldrums over the last couple of years.

My take homes:

JEH really is a class act (was that ever in doubt?). She’s as good as any athlete currently competing when she’s on her game, both in terms of talent and watchability.

Van Niekerk vs James et al. could be the event of the WC’s.

DAS, Bolt, Kiprop, Amos, Schippers, Hughes and Weightman were also very enjoyable. A good meet.

jjimbojames
    Participant

The good thing about the men’s long and triple is both have competitors who rise to a challenge – hopefully we’ll get some actual coverage of it happening!

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

As well as all the obvious highlights, I was delighted to see 62m from Goldie. Been a long road back for her.

Globally no-one’s setting the event on fire this year.

Profile photo of geoff
    geoff
    Participant

A really interesting Diamond League for a number of reasons. The new roof, the weather, Bolt, British athletes, qualifying standards and selection conundrums!

Starting with Goldie. I assume she will now be selected as a case can be argued she could finish top 8 in Beijing. Standards are not high, only second competion and a small improvement will see her rocket up the rankings. There will be such an outcry if not selected I don’t think UKA dare leave her at home!

I wonder if they dare not take a male 1500m runner? Danny Talbot in the 200m? Zharnel Hughes looks like a potential medallist and British record holder but what a pity Gemilli is injured as that would have been an interesting head to head. Will Hughes be our only 200m runner in Beijing?

Ujah ran very well in the 100m but looked poor in the relay. He is not a last leg runner. If Gemilli was fully fit he would run the second leg and I would try Hughes on the anchor. Vicaut ran Ujah down after being 3 or 4 metres down which does not bode well for Beijing.

To Bolt. I could not believe his heat time in the rain and a strong headwind. He easded up and jogged over the line! We know the track is fast but that was very impressive after the season he’s had so far. Beijing should be fascinating. I wonder how the minf games will work on Gatlin who perhaps thought he may not have had to contend with a fit Bolt.

Finally a word on Jess Ennis. Hopefully, she will decide to go to Beijing but can appreciate she has some doubts. Her first and last events of the heptathlon look as good as ever but I assume she wants her throwing to be better. If the shot and javelin are going well in training then she will go. Her 200m can improve in the next few weeks so I think she can realistically aim for 6700+ and a medal.

Probably missed a lot but there will be much discussion once the team is announced!

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Can’t believe that Renaud’s 6.03 hasn’t had a mention. Looking at the wPV results, shame Holly didn’t give it a crack – 2 DNSs and 3 only managing 4.37.

And also an honourable mention to the discus throwers who had the worst of the conditions on Friday. How they managed to churn out 63, 64 and even a 65m effort was beyond me. Interspersed with a few 30s and 40s, mind.

Profile photo of justrunfast
    justrunfast
    Participant

Ujah looked poor in the relay??? Lets put things into perspective here Vicaut has ran 9.86 RECENTLY, he will run down most people in the world… yes he ran Ujah down but he still won.

It’s almost like you are not giving Vicaut enough credit he will run down Hughes and in my opinion a fully fit Gemili

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of justrunfast justrunfast.
    Profile photo of geoff
    geoff
    Participant

No disrespect at all just a fact. I know Vicaut can finish very strongly and is a 9.86 runner but he made up possibly 5m or more. I know there are factors on the last changeover that influence the final leg but you have to have a sprinter who can finish well, especially, off a flying start. At the moment it could be Hughes fits the bill but can he get a baton under pressure? In my opinion Hughes running a 100m off a flying start could be quicker than Ujah.

Ursus, I’ve been away all weekend on athletics duty so only now catching up. I saw Renaud’s 6.03 and it looked like he’s almost back to his very best. Thank goodness they rearranged the men’s vault for Saturday. As for Holly, she is a bit of an enigma at the moment but I don’t want to speculate here and just hope she gets back to her best as soon as possible.

Profile photo of

A really interesting Diamond League for a number of reasons. The new roof, the weather, Bolt, British athletes, qualifying standards and selection conundrums!

Starting with Goldie. I assume she will now be selected as a case can be argued she could finish top 8 in Beijing. Standards are not high, only second competion and a small improvement will see her rocket up the rankings. There will be such an outcry if not selected I don’t think UKA dare leave her at home!

I wonder if they dare not take a male 1500m runner? Danny Talbot in the 200m? Zharnel Hughes looks like a potential medallist and British record holder but what a pity Gemilli is injured as that would have been an interesting head to head. Will Hughes be our only 200m runner in Beijing?

Ujah ran very well in the 100m but looked poor in the relay. He is not a last leg runner. If Gemilli was fully fit he would run the second leg and I would try Hughes on the anchor. Vicaut ran Ujah down after being 3 or 4 metres down which does not bode well for Beijing.

To Bolt. I could not believe his heat time in the rain and a strong headwind. He easded up and jogged over the line! We know the track is fast but that was very impressive after the season he’s had so far. Beijing should be fascinating. I wonder how the minf games will work on Gatlin who perhaps thought he may not have had to contend with a fit Bolt.

Finally a word on Jess Ennis. Hopefully, she will decide to go to Beijing but can appreciate she has some doubts. Her first and last events of the heptathlon look as good as ever but I assume she wants her throwing to be better. If the shot and javelin are going well in training then she will go. Her 200m can improve in the next few weeks so I think she can realistically aim for 6700+ and a medal.

Probably missed a lot but there will be much discussion once the team is announced!

Does one swallow make a summer. Sayers, according to Pof10, has thrown one A standard and a 59.53 this year due I presume to injury. Did not take part in the Trials I believe, and she would have to convince the selectors that under Round 2 she can realistically finish top 8 and that under 1.7.b 1 to vi she is worth the trip. On the question of previous major competitons history she does not score highly and has disappointed more than once. Her medal was some time ago. If she is selected it will be purely a political decision to take what few throwers we have.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Her medal was some time ago.

What medal? Did I miss something?

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

Geoff I am not sure it bodes anything for Beijing. Ujah hadn’t raced in a relay since a junior in 2012. Suddenly put in that position with a good lead against one of the fastest guys in the world he didn’t quite function. But the experience must bring him on a bundle and I would expect him to be ready for it next time. He seems to be making up into a good competitor. The rest of the relay team I would leave alone unless a fit Gemili becomes available.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

And on the stadium / event logistics:

1. The stadium is simply too large for proper athletics viewing. Where we were in the second tier it was very hard to get any real sense of the power or the speed of most of the athletes. We were nowhere near the back, but still had a feeling of detachment from the action. “Atmosphere” doesn’t really compensate.

2. We couldn’t see an infield display showing the clock running during races (we were above the 200m start). The crowd went “ooooh” when Bolt crossed the line except for our section which found out a couple of minutes later. We had an obstructed view of the screen to our right and the other screen was only any use when official results were shown, not for seeing the clock running and stop during a replay of the finish.

3. The catering options were woeful. Near where we were there were no hot food options at all. At about 6.30 the catering supervisor proudly told us that they’d already got through 1,000 pies. “Yes” spat back my friend, “but didn’t occur to you that the crowd’s 40,0000 and it’s a cold night”? Apparently it hadn’t. West Ham fans will riot if they can’t get their half time pies.

4. There was no security. Once the automated scanner had read your ticket, you were in. There was one guy wandering around inside with a sniffer dog and that was about it. That’s pretty poor in the current day and age.

5. Geeing the crowd up to support the HJers with Live is Life is fine, but stopping it with the jumper a couple of strides from the bar isn’t. Ditto announcing discus throwers while they’re actually in the process of starting their throw.

Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

A really enjoyable couple of days. Such a great antidote to slanted, negative, ill-informed coverage the sport gets in the papers and the BBC. Five Live led Sunday morning sports bulletin with the story that Mo had an interview with the USADA officials investigating AlSal. How is that news? We already knew the investigation was on-going, so it would have been news if he hadn’t been interviewed. Then in Gary Richardson’s show (presented by Jonathan Overend, I think) they invited a Guardian journo to trot out the same tired old line we hear every time they feature athletics on the show: that it is a sport with a credibility issue. Even a good news story – The Return of Usain – was twisted and presented as “How can the sport survive when Bolt retires”.
    Contrast that coverage with not just the tickets sold over the weekend but also the levels of enthusiasm shown in the stadium. Of course, that won’t have been reported in the papers. I was sat next to the rows set aside for journalists. Banks of seats in the best area in the stadium: almost all of them empty. And, with the exception of Steve Smythe and Peter Matthews, most of the few who turned up chatted with each other through the whole meeting pausing only to watch a few events with big names competing.
    Highlight for me, was ironically, the event I was looking forward to the least: W5000m. The crowd reaction when Huddle responded to Cherono catching her was a delight.
    Funniest moment for me was watching Harry A-A milking the crowd down the home straight after his glorious leg in the 4x100m. He clearly knew that despite all that hype about Mo, Greg, Jess and Bolt, the person the crowd had really paid to see was our fifth best 100m runner.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 254 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers