Athletics Weekly | London DL - Athletics Weekly

London DL

Tagged: 

This topic contains 253 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of stevek26 SteveK26 3 days, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 254 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mattrh17
    Mattrh17
    Participant

Start lists are up as Iain mentioned on another thread.

http://london.diamondleague.com/lists_results_2015/

I guess Philip still has a niggle from the trials Iain?

A few thoughts:

Good to see: SBD in the 400m, Grabarz in the HJ, Lots of British girls in the LJ, Wallader in the Shot, Jack Green in the 400mH, Sayers in the Jav, Langford and Rimmer in the 800m.

Disappointed that: Morse isn’t in the Discus, Talbot isn’t in the 200m, Sharman isn’t in the 110mH, no Laura Muir, Jenny Meadows or Holly Bradshaw (injured?), no Irozuru, no Dunn in the 400m.

I know they can’t put every British athlete in events and Dunn and Irozuru have lots of Brits in their events but I can’t see why Morse, Talbot and Sharman can’t get in and Sinead Gutzmore and Jemma Simpson can? Don’t get me wrong, I hope they both do very well but very odd choices to get a place.

Interesting that: Jodie Williams is running the 100m with DAS and Henry and not the 200m, Bianca and Adeoye are in that. Guess this means Adeoye will keep her place in the 200m rather than run the 400m. Do you think there has been a discussion with Jodie about letting her have the 200m spot? Seems odd she would do the 100m instead of getting a second A standard in her favoured event.

Profile photo of jjimbojames
    jjimbojames
    Participant

I would guess lots of deals are in place!

The other possibility is that DAS hasn’t decided on which event to enter and having worked out DAS will get whichever she wants, Jodie is trying to get a 100m time too as a back up

Profile photo of hayden
    Hayden
    Participant

Shame that there is no Serita Solomon or Lucy Hatton in the 100mH. Could’ve been another PB for them both and could’ve helped decide who goes to Beijing. Looks like they missed out in favour of Ennis-Hill getting to run for being a star attraction despite running slower times than Solomon and Hatton.

Interesting there’s no Meadows or Leonard in the 800. Makes me think neither will be picked for Beijing. Surprised at Jemma Simpson though. Definitely a strange choice since she’s been gone all season.

Is Laura Samuel injured? Surprised to see Gutzmore on the list and not her. Adeoye doing the 200 probably means she’ll contest that in Beijing. No Holly Bleasdale in the Pole Vault either.

No Shona Richards or Dai Greene in the 400mH races. Would’ve been an opportunity for them to get a(nother) World Champs standard.

Laura Muir is also nowhere to be seen? Hope her run in Monaco has not taken too much out of her.

Profile photo of trevorp
    trevorp
    Participant

I guess Philip still has a niggle from the trials Iain?

That was odd. I hope it’s not a ‘head’ thing.

Holly Bradshaw (injured?)

I did groan when I saw this. There’s been no mention of injury, though.

Sinead Gutzmore

I had the same reaction – makes Morse’s exclusion all the worse.

Profile photo of

Holly Bradshaw is now no better than a lower international talent but you never know she may improve next year. When I think of all the worlds top talented women PVers I have doubts about Bradshaw on both the physical and mental level. I don’t know whether 4.87 at twenty years of age is a terribly helpful thing.

Profile photo of jeremy1066
    Jeremy1066
    Participant

Jeremy1, I agree with you on Holly B. Her confidence, or as you put it, the mental level, doesn’t seem right. And now we are seeing some phenomenal physical specimens coming to the fore such as the Greek lady, Kyriakopoulou.

Profile photo of

Shame that there is no Serita Solomon or Lucy Hatton in the 100mH. Could’ve been another PB for them both and could’ve helped decide who goes to Beijing. Looks like they missed out in favour of Ennis-Hill getting to run for being a star attraction despite running slower times than Solomon and Hatton.

Interesting there’s no Meadows or Leonard in the 800. Makes me think neither will be picked for Beijing. Surprised at Jemma Simpson though. Definitely a strange choice since she’s been gone all season.

Is Laura Samuel injured? Surprised to see Gutzmore on the list and not her. Adeoye doing the 200 probably means she’ll contest that in Beijing. No Holly Bleasdale in the Pole Vault either.

No Shona Richards or Dai Greene in the 400mH races. Would’ve been an opportunity for them to get a(nother) World Champs standard.

Laura Muir is also nowhere to be seen? Hope her run in Monaco has not taken too much out of her.

Quite enough Americans in the 100m hurdles field. What purpose for selecting Lolo Jones. Are the Yanks up to their usual stuff; you pick who we want or we all go home… nothing would surprise me .
    Shocking that Hatton did not get the opportunity to run. Is she injured or did she refuse to run ??

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

Hardly surprising after just three competitions if it was decided that Holly is not ready for a competition in front of a British crowd of 40,000 – 50,000 against a field of 4.60m – 4.83m athletes.

Rio must be the target and slow and steady the only sensible plan, don’t you think?

Profile photo of

Hardly surprising after just three competitions if it was decided that Holly is not ready for a competition in front of a British crowd of 40,000 – 50,000 against a field of 4.60m – 4.83m athletes.

Rio must be the target and slow and steady the only sensible plan, don’t you think?

yes there is that argument:had not seen it from that angle.

Profile photo of

As Hatton cannot be an auto qualifier but only a Round 2 selection can she be selected as a 1.7.a.ii athlete; she certainly is not going to finish in the top 8 in Beijing is she, with 4 Americans plus 2 Americans representing the GB plus others who are faster. I hope that Hatton does not leave everything in doors next year with the temptation of a trip to the World Indoors.

Profile photo of

Whats the predictions for this w/e for Ennis -Hill.Will we see her at the WC.

Profile photo of justrunfast
    justrunfast
    Participant

Hopefully see a lot of changes in the week…..

the fact our two best 200m runners could end up doing the 100m in Beijing is an absolute disgrace

justrunfast
    Participant

Why are people surprised Hatton did not get a lane?? DNF in the trials final and has not ran since, 13.29 and the possibility of running faster does not warrant getting a diamond league lane.

Profile photo of hayden
    Hayden
    Participant

As Hatton cannot be an auto qualifier but only a Round 2 selection can she be selected as a 1.7.a.ii athlete; she certainly is not going to finish in the top 8 in Beijing is she, with 4 Americans plus 2 Americans representing the GB plus others who are faster. I hope that Hatton does not leave everything in doors next year with the temptation of a trip to the World Indoors.

Solomon has been more consistent/injury-free than her so I would choose her. Would’ve been ideal if both Hatton and Solomon could’ve had a ‘race-off’ at the Anniversary Games though to decide who went to Beijing. Ennis-Hill is already competing in the 200m and Long Jump so it would not have made much difference if her and Lolo Jones’ spots were given to Hatton and Solomon.

I wonder if Jodie Williams missed out on a place in the 200m because of Ennis-Hill as well? And Irozuru in the Long Jump?

If Sawyers can produce another 6.70+ jump and KJT decides not to contest it at the Worlds, then I think Sawyers will be picked for Beijing.

justrunfast
    Participant

People seem to be confused and have forgotten this is a diamond league event, with points at stake not a GB last chance meet…. why should anyone get a lane for the fact they are British?? Plus have two or three athletes from GB who have also ran or jumped further than them.

I disagree with the notion that anyone should be given a lane over someone else because it is their home meet especially if they are fourth choice. Why should Lolo Jones not be given a lane when she has ran 12.6/7 this year???

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of justrunfast justrunfast.
    Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

I think the startlists have changed slightly as Jack Green and Jemma Simpson are no longer there. Suggests more alteration will be on the way.

Agree with the above comments that Solomon deserved a shot in the hurdles, she raised her performance in the Birmingham DL and took 2 tenths off her PB. Hatton pulling up at trials has probably caused her omission, can’t see her getting back to full fitness / form in time.

Men’s 400 looks great, Van Niekerk is in the form of his life.

Talbot deserved a shot in the 200 after his PB the other day, they didn’t even give him a run in the 100.

Is SBDs inclusion an indication she wants to do the individual event at the worlds? Here’s hoping

Profile photo of jjimbojames
    jjimbojames
    Participant

JRF – only one of our top 200m women will run the 100m – if DAS wants the 100m, Jodie will go in the 200m, surely?

DAS is also our top 100m runner and only wants to do one event, which is fair enough

Profile photo of mattrh17
    Mattrh17
    Participant

JRF as you used the example of the 100mH, it is not a DL event at this meet as many other events also aren’t so there are no points available. Every nation who hosts a DL event puts in a few of there own athletes and though I agree that in some cases this shouldn’t happen e.g. Our triple jumper who is along way below the rest, I feel someone like Brett Morse who beat a couple of very good athletes at Lboro should be given a chance on current form.

Shame about Jack Green as I think it is unlikely on current form that Tom Burton will run another A standard.

Profile photo of sportmanager
    sportmanager
    Participant

If Wallender is included ranked 50th in the world and having thrown 15.50 at the European Team Cup what has Morse done wrong to upset the meet organisers UKA? He was dropped from funding and this is the last chance he can get to get a qualifying mark and compete against some stiff opposition (I noticed him throwing at a national league 2nd tier match – why on earth is he doing that – why is he not throwing in meets abroad?). It seems that they have something against this young thrower (26)? Something seems amiss and it seems to be a shocking way to treat young athletes. I notice he beat people ranked above him this year easily at LEAP and futher investigation shows that the two dutch men are 67m throwers and major games finalists so it was a good performance. Diamond league has not been that good either o he has a chance of mixing it with the big boys – he threw nearly 65m last time and his twitter says he is in the best shape of his life but not had many good conditions to throw in. Bizarre.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of sportmanager sportmanager.
    justrunfast
    Participant

Ahh yes true!

Its a shame they both can’t run the 200m Beijing well done British Athletics.

justrunfast
    Participant

JRF as you used the example of the 100mH, it is not a DL event at this meet as many other events also aren’t so there are no points available. Every nation who hosts a DL event puts in a few of there own athletes and though I agree that in some cases this shouldn’t happen e.g. Our triple jumper who is along way below the rest, I feel someone like Brett Morse who beat a couple of very good athletes at Lboro should be given a chance on current form.

Shame about Jack Green as I think it is unlikely on current form that Tom Burton will run another A standard.

I agree a few athletes from the home nation should be put in but not the basis that a run off between two athletes could happen. On current form The three GB athletes on the start list have every right to be there. Hatton does not

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of justrunfast justrunfast.
    Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Yes, Rio is the target but she’s also likely to be Beijing bound and I would have thought that she’d want to remind herself of the big time before going there. Expectations are currently low and the London crowd would be supportive.

I suspect she’s not competing purely and simply because she’s not currently good enough to warrant a place – at least 10 cm below the rest of the field.

Profile photo of hayden
    Hayden
    Participant

People seem to be confused and have forgotten this is a diamond league event, with points at stake not a GB last chance meet…. why should anyone get a lane for the fact they are British?? Plus have two or three athletes from GB who have also ran or jumped further than them.

I disagree with the notion that anyone should be given a lane over someone else because it is their home meet especially if they are fourth choice. Why should Lolo Jones not be given a lane when she has ran 12.6/7 this year???

No one is confused. DL hosts are entitled to choose who they want to compete in the events. Plus, there are plenty of events that aren’t diamond races e.g. 100m hurdles which is what we were talking about.

You’ve answered your own question there. Why should Ennis Hill be given a lane over Solomon and Hatton when she has a SB 0.4 seconds slower than them?

Profile photo of hayden
    Hayden
    Participant

I agree a few athletes from the home nation should be put in but not the basis that a run off between two athletes could happen. On current form The three GB athletes on the start list have every right to be there. Hatton does not

I agree that this event should not be multiple ‘race-offs’ for Beijing spots, but I think it’s unfair that Rooney and MHS have been put in the 400 for a ‘race-off’ when C Williams and Dunn have both run faster than them, yet Solomon and Hatton have not been given the same treatment for the 100 hurdles. Same for Leonard and Meadows etc.

Profile photo of

No one is confused. DL hosts are entitled to choose who they want to compete in the events. Plus, there are plenty of events that aren’t diamond races e.g. 100m hurdles which is what we were talking about.

You’ve answered your own question there. Why should Ennis Hill be given a lane over Solomon and Hatton when she has a SB 0.4 seconds slower than them?

Point is that every DL meet this year in Europe has had all sorts of mediocre local talent in one or more lanes.They always came last.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 254 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers