Athletics Weekly | London 2017 Tickets - Athletics Weekly

London 2017 Tickets

This topic contains 17 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sovietvest sovietvest 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Thought it would be good to start a thread on this as it won’t be too long now before these go on sale.

They have announced today that the ‘athletics family’ will get a priority window to purchase tickets before they go on general sale. Seems that you will be contacted by e-mail shortly if you are eligible for this window. I wonder if this was always planned or are they maybe a bit concerned that it will be harder to sell tickets following the recent doping scandals

http://www.london2017athletics.com/news/43896

I believe the schedule & pricing details will be announced in April. I have no idea what the cost will be at this point. I am not expecting it to be cheap. Not as expensive as Olympic tickets but likely to be more than the Commonwealth Games prices would be my guess.

Profile photo of geoff
    geoff
    Participant

It will come as no surprise there are concerns over London 2017 in view of the recent scandals in athletics. Ed Warner is criticised for not revealing ‘brown envelopes’ in relation to the Qatar bid, lack of a main sponsor, blurring of UKA and London 2017 and a power struggle.

London 2017 board members bid to oust chairman Ed Warner

The future of London 2017 could be thrown into chaos with board members for the event preparing to issue a vote-of-no-confidence in Chairman Ed Warner.
    There is increasing concern that Warner is not the correct person to head up the biggest athletics event to be held in this country since the London Olympics and things are set to come to a head at a board meeting on Friday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-3420265/London-2017-board-members-bid-oust-chairman-Ed-Warner.html

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Very pleased to read that link, Ladyloz. I’m not actively involved apart from buying tickets for a few big meets, but its absolutely right that those who are should get first dibs. Shame London 2012 didn’t get there, but at least I have the consolation of knowing that several of my free loading colleagues had a good day out – I believe one of them had even heard of JEH.

I’m sure I will apply for tickets, but generally find the big stadium events disappointing – too far from the action, no sense of the athletes speed or power and very difficult to keep up with all the various field events. “Atmosphere” doesn’t compensate for that.

Geoff, you couldn’t make it up.

Profile photo of geoff
    geoff
    Participant

Sally Bolton, chief executive of London 2017, has resigned. Two other board members resigned last week but Ed Warner is still chairman. We hear about conflict of interest and lack of sponsorship so I wonder whether UKA are hoping to tie up future sponsorship in some way with London 2017? If that is the case, the conflict and the risk are obvious. Whatever the reason it’s not a happy ship at the moment!

Profile photo of jamiegallagher
    jamiegallagher
    Participant

Sad to hear about what is happening in London 2017. I know they would be able to find ways on how to compensate funding.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Sally Bolton, chief executive of London 2017, has resigned. Two other board members resigned last week but Ed Warner is still chairman. We hear about conflict of interest and lack of sponsorship so I wonder whether UKA are hoping to tie up future sponsorship in some way with London 2017? If that is the case, the conflict and the risk are obvious. Whatever the reason it’s not a happy ship at the moment!

Clearly not Geoff. TG-T has now gone too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/35770955

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Timetable for the event has now been released. The championships actually start now on Friday 4th August and fewer morning sessions than usual in the Stadium (4) with only 1 of these being a weekday on Fri 11th August.

IAAF releases approved London 2017 World Championships timetable

Profile photo of treadwater1
    treadwater1
    Participant

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/athletics/2016/04/18/tickets-priced-at-958-for-usain-bolts-farewell-at-london-2017-wo/

First details of prices revealed, the official announcement is tomorrow.

They’re cheaper than I expected tbh, it looks highly likely that every session will sell out given the pricing structure :good:

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

Official announcement from the website. http://www.london2017athletics.com/news/45519

Some smart marketing e.g. the kids tickets of £9.58 to match Bolt’s WR. And applications for the ticket ballot are between 1st-22nd August which ties in with Olympics.

Agree Treadwater prices aren’t too steep. Perhaps the only slightly disappointing thing is no Season ticket option

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

Plus priority non-ballot option for athletics club members I think? I’m going to have to decide before 10th May what options I fancy!

Might suggest eldest son tries to get in on the volunteering too, could be an ideal summer activity!

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

Anyone else stumped up for tickets? Nearly missed my priority window (actually, did miss the window), but it seems that they allow the priority window to be open a bit longer than you’re advised, presumably to cater for numpties like me who left it too late.
    Plumped for the final Saturday with some 4x100m, 5000m M and a few other bits and bobs. Happy to be heading back to the Olympic Stadium, and this time looking forward to actually seeing some medals earned (only managed qualifying rounds at 2012).

Profile photo of harryhill1
    HarryHill1
    Participant

Very quick and easy this morning. All done in 10 minutes from start to finish – treated myself and family to first Saturday evening tickets. I do hope they sell out all sessions.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

I suspect they’ll struggle with the para-sessions (though I hope they are well supported) and some of the quali sessions, but most of those evening sessions are excellent.

It was a nice simple process though wasn’t it – you know what you’re getting, roughly where you’re getting it, and you are guaranteed the tickets. Whilst I can’t argue with the ballot type approach, it’s always nicer to have more certainty about these sorts of things!

Profile photo of kigmaker
    kigmaker
    Participant

managed to get my maximum 9 without any problems, we are doing the Wednesday Thursday so should be fun

Profile photo of taffy
    Taffy
    Participant

I have just had confirmation that I have secured all but two of the tickets I applied for. quite costly but hopefully worth it.

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

I got five of the nine sessions I applied for, which was about what I hoped. To get them all would have required some selling. Mostly upgraded to Cat B which is costly. I imagine almost all Cat C and D tickets, and most B, would have sold out.

Profile photo of taffy
    Taffy
    Participant

Agreed Laps. I applied for £1000.00 worth and ended up with £830. Way more than I intended to spend as I thought I would probably get about 4 or 5 sessions. Good chance that it will sell out.

Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

For future events, you should all consider joining the British Athletics Supporters Club. They get priority tickets for all events.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers