Athletics Weekly | Latest Coe Proposals - Athletics Weekly

Latest Coe Proposals

This topic contains 33 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of justrunfast justrunfast 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of occasionalhope
    OccasionalHope
    Participant

I don’t think the problem is too many events. I’d say the problem for the spectator (especially the TV one) is of too few – too many gaps when nothing at all is happening on the track. So concentrate the timetable, maybe at the price of giving athletes fewer opportunities to double up; enforce timing by stopping showboating. Personally I would have daytime sessions rather than evening ones but I imagine London almost completely dispensed with day sessions so they could sell more tickets. But why do they have a morning session, a gap, then an en=vning one? Why not afternoon as well?

Fewer rounds is going to hit countries with fewer athletes in their pool, and not having someone to root for at all does limmit many people’s interest. It also makes it much less likely that any individual athlete will get to the standard to compete at international level, and that may reduce participation.

And while stuff may well be going on in the field duing lulls on the track, for TV viewers any sense of a narrative in those is lost because they omit so much.

I would consider doing track and field events in separate sessions, and making the TV follow the whole of a field event, only doing one at a time just as we only have one track event to concentrate on. (At least for finals. You could have multiple qualifying events going on.) I guess you’d have to do the number-limited events first, eg LJ and TJ and throws, so the timetable doesn’t go awry, then do HJ and PV later.

One problem with changing the track size is that suddenly all existing tracks would need to be replaced. I can’t see that happening.

Profile photo of justrunfast
    justrunfast
    Participant

I find all the proposals good ideas but none that deal with the biggest issue. The fact that Athletics is built around an event that happens every four years, funding, sponsorship viewing numbers everything.

And we know why they won’t make certain changes needed, the olympics make the IAAF as a business the most money.

Profile photo of laps
    Laps
    Participant

I find Coe irritating, arrogant and Machiavellian. Whether Bubka and one or two others might be worse is hardly what we are debating, is it ?

Steve

Well yes, that is exactly what we are debating, because if Coe wasn’t IAAF President someone else would be. In all probability that would be Bubka, a Ukrainian with strong Russian connections and sympathies. Russia would be off the hook and the IAAF would be nowhere to be seen on doping issues by now.

You only have to look at the presidents of world sporting bodies (IOC, FIFA, IAAF) over the years – Samaranch, Havelange, Blatter, Nebiolo, Diack – to understand that Coe is infinity better than likely alternatives.

On a Machiavelli index Coe is about a 2 out of 10. As cunning and evasive as an average politician, persistent but not very good at it and easily seen through. Of course Coe has actually been busy reducing his powers. Which is a very unMachivellian thing to do. The conference that he spoke at, which all the newspapers have reported as about 300m tracks and shortened Championships, was actually about governance and here is a snippet about it –

“Coe addressed the conference on the subject of sports governance and said that he had been forced to spend his first two years in office as IAAF President “securing the foundations” of an organisation shattered by corruption issues that had dogged it for years and remain the subject of a French judicial investigation.

He said that the IAAF is now an example for all sports in terms of transparency and ethics and that now changes, which included him giving up many of the powers previously attached to the Presidency, had been put in place he is free to address athletics’ external problems.”

Presumably you would prefer that he didn’t address Athletic’s problems or seek solutions because you like it just as it is? Fair enough.

Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

My distrust and dislike of Coe actually goes beyond Steve’s for many reasons stretching back to Swiss Clinics in the 80s and his lack of personal integrity in his private life. That said, I also agree with Laps that he’s by far the best option available to the sport. Which is a pretty good indication of the parlous state athletics is in.

Profile photo of geoff
    geoff
    Participant

Moving away from Coe I saw this prposal fro the 2019 European Games:

European Athletics unveils initial ideas for new dynamic event set to debut at Minsk 2019

European Athletics has today unveiled its initial ideas for a revolutionary type of event that is set to make its debut at the 2019 European Games in Belarus’ capital Minsk.

Dynamic New Athletics (DNA) was presented during a Member Federations’ leaders forum held here today in Lithuania’s capital as part of the 2017 European Athletics Convention and Congress.

Libor Varhanik, a European Athletics Council and Executive Board member, and Marcel Wakim, head of new product development at European Athletics, outlined the key points on the national team-based competition that will combine male and female athletes.

DNA will see six 23-member teams compete in a total of 10 events across a maximum time of 120 minutes.

The final event, a mixed-distance pursuit relay known as the “Hunt”, will determine the winner with starting positions based on the number of points each team has accumulated throughout the previous nine.

The five other track events would be the men’s and women’s 100 metres, the men’s 110m hurdles, the women’s 100m hurdles and the mixed 4x400m relay.

The three field events, held in a head-to-head knock-out format, proposed are the women’s long jump, men’s javelin throw and women’s high jump.

Set to complete the line-up is a one-man and one-woman Mini’Athlon combined event, entailing running, jumping and throwing.

In accordance with the event programme, teams will be made up of nine women, eight men and six reserves.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1056515/european-athletics-unveils-initial-ideas-for-new-dynamic-event-set-to-debut-at-minsk-2019

I’m not convinced about this or the abundance of multi-sports competitions cropping up. With athlete funding dependent on success at World and Olympic level with additional income from Diamond League and a few other invitation events it’s difficult to see elite athletes taking on additional events.

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

Sounds barmy to me.

Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

I enjoy athletics at every level from Olympics to YDL U13s but even I wouldn’t pay to watch that

Profile photo of stevek26
    SteveK26
    Participant

The IAAF and now European Athletics seem hell bent in turning our sport into a circus.

First Coe talks about his souffle collapsing, and now we have European Athletics coming up with their offering of a side-show that will all be over in two hours.

It seems that those running our sport don’t think the public want to sit around in a stadium for hours on end. We don’t have an attention span much longer than the memory of a goldfish, apparently.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Profile photo of stevek26 stevek26.
    Profile photo of justrunfast
    justrunfast
    Participant

I don’t think it’s a point of whether the public have the attention span it’s whether the sport can be televised this is how the sport id going to grow….. they have to do something.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers