Athletics Weekly | Ideas from other sports that might work in athletics - Athletics Weekly

Ideas from other sports that might work in athletics

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of irishman irishman 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

Just an ideas thread for things from other sports which might work well in athletics, pie in the sky stuff that may or may not require large or small amounts of change to the sport.

The one that got me thinking was this:-
    – World champs / national champ vests – in cycling, if you’re the WC (or have previously been world champ) you get to wear the rainbow jersey, or have a rainbow band on your kit (if you’ve previously been world champ) in the discipline you’re competing in. Also national vests worn only by the national champ in non-international competitions. I’d like to see this across T&F (let’s ignore practicalities about kit design etc – cycling makes it work!). When I watched a fairly low key grass track cycling competition in the summer where one of the events carried a national title and the winners were awarded their national jerseys, it occurred to me that doing the same at the UK trials, or even at lower levels (English / Scottish / Welsh / N Irish, or even at County level) might work to showcase athletes and give them something to wear with pride throughout their winners season when taking part in, say, Diamond League or lower tier competitions.

Profile photo of ursus
    Ursus
    Participant

Sort of, but not wholly, inspired by diving where each competitor builds up an aggregate over 6 attempts:

Make the throws and horizontal jumps based on aggregate distances rather than the single best trial. So, best 5 out of 6 to count….would virtually eliminate fouls at a stroke and, who knows, TV might find an unfolding story more attractive. Last round dilemma – do you play safe for the silver or go flat out for gold and risk coming 5th if you get it wrong? The drama builds, and someone will almost certainly be forced to gamble.

Or another – inspired by weightlifting.

Only give vertical jumpers a set number of jumps per competition, say 8 and abandon pre-set height increments. Leave it entirely up to the jumpers to choose the heights they jump at and the number of attempts per height bringing strategy more into play. Heights may not be as great, but the “watchability” would be higher. Or maybe better still, allow them as many jumps as they want, but they are eliminated after 4 failures in total, irrespective of height.

Surely field events would be better if there’s something at stake on virtually every trial? Would something like this get Larkim watching the throws?

Oh, and inspired by swimming, a throwing medley.

Best combined aggregate over the 4 events wins. Probably based on multi scoring tables than absolute distance.

Profile photo of sovietvest
    sovietvest
    Participant

Sort of, but not wholly, <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0); color: rgb(0, 153, 0);”>inspired</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span> by diving where each competitor builds up an aggregate over 6 attempts:

Make the throws and horizontal jumps based on aggregate distances rather than the single best trial. So, best 5 out of 6 to count….would virtually eliminate fouls at a stroke and, who knows, TV might find an unfolding story more attractive. Last round dilemma – do you <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0); color: rgb(0, 153, 0);”>play</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span> safe for the silver or go flat out for gold and risk coming 5th if you get it wrong? The drama builds, and someone will almost certainly be forced to gamble.

Or another – inspired by weightlifting.

Only give vertical jumpers a set number of jumps per competition, say 8 and abandon pre-set height increments. Leave it entirely up to the jumpers to choose the heights they jump at and the number of attempts per height bringing strategy more into play. Heights may not be as great, but the “watchability” would be higher. Or maybe <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0); color: rgb(0, 153, 0);”>better</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span> still, allow them as many jumps as they want, but they are eliminated after 4 failures in total, irrespective of height.

Surely field events would be better if there’s something at stake on virtually every trial? Would something like this get Larkim watching the throws?

Oh, and inspired by swimming, a throwing medley.

Best combined aggregate over the 4 events wins. Probably based on multi scoring tables than absolute distance.

I like the aggregate jumps idea for LJ and TJ. I’d make it best 3 though. I think best 5 would have the consequence of athletes with a few good early distances playing it safe in later rounds and ultimately reduce performance levels.

sovietvest
    Participant

I like Larkim’s world / national vests idea. Nike produce a slightly different vest each year for world and Olympic champs but this could be extended to regional champs, age category champs, vests for athletes who have broken notable barriers (sub-9.9, sub 20 etc, etc). Anything would be good that forced the kit manufacturers to produce a variety of vests. I’m sure Nike and Adidas think it’s good for their brands to have races dominated by athletes obviously sponsored by them but personally I find it infuriating and it’s one of the reasons I never buy their stuff.

sovietvest
    Participant

I’d enjoy a world team decathlon (men and women) with a different athletes in each event. Isn’t there a French end of season event along those lines?

The old Golden Sprints were fun – 100 and 200 aggregate times – although that favoured the best 200m runners. maybe it would be better with two 100 heats and a 200 spread over a two day event like the Anniversary Games.

Similarly, MD challenges spread over 3 meetings: a 800 / 1000 / 1500 competition or 1500 / 2000 / 3000. For that, points for places rather than aggregate times or IAAF points would work best.

Profile photo of larkim
    larkim
    Participant

Part of me likes the LJ / TJ options, though perhaps there is a loss of the potential for the explosive “perfect” jump – e.g. consistent “Rutherford-esque” jumps 8:16, 8:24, 8:20, rival jumps 7:80, 7:90 and 8:45 and loses.

Agree with the HJ / PV options though – I’ve often thought perhaps we lose WR leaps because we force athletes who have already competed through the competition to find their best on the last jump when they might be a little tired.

How about a “Kierin” style MD race. Must keep within certain distance of pacer / pacing bike up to, say 1600m then a single lap burnup.

Daft one, but what about 100m but run as head to head pairs with round of 16 (or just 8 so that the sprinters don’t get too tired, poor lot) through to “final” of 2 athletes in a straight head to head.

Like the ideas of “runners” multi event and “throwers” multi events. Could work for LJ / TJ too.

(Equally I could suggest that swimming should include some inverted hurdles races too)

Profile photo of ladyloz
    Ladyloz
    Participant

I like a Team Decathlon idea – that would be a good idea for The Meet & much better than the Nitro novelty events. Easily understood by the public/casual fans too.

Profile photo of trickstat
    trickstat
    Participant

Only give vertical jumpers a set number of jumps per competition, say 8 and abandon pre-set height increments. Leave it entirely up to the jumpers to choose the heights they jump at and the number of attempts per height bringing strategy more into Heights may not be as great, but the “watchability” would be higher.

I know that a 7 jump format is sometimes used in Schools competition where time constraints rule out a ‘standard’ competition. I think it may actually be used in the English Schools Cup (a country-wide Inter Schools’ competition). The difference with these is that height options tend to be limited to 5cm intervals, although I think this can be discarded when just one athlete remains.

Profile photo of irishman
    irishman
    Participant

1) introduce a ‘throw for height’ indoors, try to tempt some of the heavy heavy boys indoors for some fun, using either high jump of pole vault equipment depending on weight

2) another cycling borrowing – bring back 200m indoors, but instead of having dud lanes, just use the two good ones – but with 2 runners starting at start line, and 2 at half way, pursuit style. Much harder to ‘jog it in’ when you can’t be certain you’re ahead

3) investigate expanding the ‘cross country’ offering to an entire suite of ‘off track/off road’ with ‘obstacle’ events in the broad style of
    a) Ninja Warrior (call it ‘Urban sprint TT’)
    b) Parkour (‘urban cross’)
    c) Krypton factor style assault course (call it ‘Military sprint cross’)
    d) Tough Mudder (call it ‘Military Enduro – cross’)
    add these four to fell running, mountain running and ‘classic’ XC for a suite of different event styles, and a festival atmosphere

4) A throws meet in the style of Night of 10K pbs, with the fans not in stands, but clser to throwers, maybe forming the tunnel for the javelin throwers, or behind the cages for hammer and discuss, with athletes coming through crowd to throw to raucaus theme music.

5) Power pentathlon – Shot, Hammer, Javelin, Discus, throw for height

6) HJ ‘Poke’r – Each jumper has 4 jumps, and four jumps only. they pick the heights – becomes a high stakes poker game, who knows their own ability best? Similar to the three lift rule in weightlifting, which makes an otherwise fairly boring looking sport great soap opera

7) Presentation : Consider getting athletes at the beginning of the year to do that thing footballers do for SKY, the turn-pose, that allows interesting graphics of players together – then use them on video screens to introduce racers, perferably directly above where they emerge from into the stadium.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Product Reviews View All
Don't Miss
Videos
AW Offers